inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ugh, I hate Microsoft Word Smart Quotes!

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/28/04 at 1:54 pm

I just modified the parody submission engine to strip out the most common forms of this particular Microsoft poison that keeps showing up on parodies.  Not sure if it'll remove all instances, but it should get rid of the most of the cases of it.  I was just viewing a parody, and noticed in Firefox, all those Microsoft special characters show up as little question marks.  Since so many people use Word for doing parodies, most of the parodies contained them.  I just did a cleanup on the database, which will sort that problem out of the existing parodies, and added some code to the parody entry screen to hopefully search and replace them with the appropriate versions.

Subject: Re: Ugh, I hate Microsoft Word Smart Quotes!

Written By: philbo on 07/29/04 at 5:20 am

I seem to remember this coming up a while back when someone commented on the 'board that his parody had got reformatted in some way... well done, Chucky for finally finding the time to rid amiright of this particular pestilence :)

(not that I ever use Word for parody writing - nearly all done in UltraEdit as it happens)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/30/04 at 10:12 am

I seem to remember this coming up a while back when someone commented on the 'board that his parody had got reformatted in some way... well done, Chucky for finally finding the time to rid amiright of this particular pestilence :)

(not that I ever use Word for parody writing - nearly all done in UltraEdit as it happens)

I had debated whether or not I should do it, but figured most of the smart quotes issues wouldn't be easy to catch.  I didn't realize that only some of them were showing up like ~|-  and that most still looked ok inside of Internet Explorer.

Written By: neminem on 08/06/04 at 4:47 pm

*claps heartily*
As a Mozilla user, I've seen those many times, not just here. Glad you've done something about them - though I still think more people should just write their parodies in notepad, like I do ;).

Check for new replies or respond here...