inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Voting Data erased

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/28/04 at 2:04 pm

I can't believe I just did this!!!!! >:( >:( >:(

I was in the process of updating the database of parodies, and ran something I shouldn't have, and basically removed the entire vote history for the most recent, oh, 10,000 or so parodies.  I have a backup somewhere, but it's at least two months old.  I'm not even sure how to recover the votes for the stuff I have the backups of, and I certainly don't have backups of the last two months worth of submissions.

Subject: Re: Voting Data erased

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/28/04 at 2:08 pm

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but good riddance.  We can all get a bit too hung up on them anyway.

Written By: Arwen on 07/28/04 at 2:16 pm

it looks like it's all still there to me...  ???

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/28/04 at 2:17 pm

Actually, it seems like my info's still there, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.  

Though something weird did happen with the numbers to wreck my perfect 5.0 streak...
::)

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/28/04 at 2:19 pm

I was in the process of updating the database of parodies, and ran something I shouldn't have, and basically removed the entire vote history for the most recent, oh, 10,000 or so parodies.  I have a backup somewhere, but it's at least two months old.  I'm not even sure how to recover the votes for the stuff I have the backups of, and I certainly don't have backups of the last two months worth of submissions.

Well, like so many of us have been affirming over and over again recently, Chucky, this website is your website, and whatever happens, it's just the way it is, and the rest of us can either choose to stay and make the best of it or move on.

I, for one, choose to stay, vote-history or no vote-history.

And as a fellow software guy, Chucky, I fully sympathize and know exactly what you're going through.

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

John

Written By: Arwen on 07/28/04 at 2:21 pm

Actually, it seems like my info's still there, unless I'm misunderstanding your comment.  

Though something weird did happen with the numbers to wreck my perfect 5.0 streak...
::)

Oh-ho-oh....now that you mention it...

Written By: Arwen on 07/28/04 at 2:23 pm

Oh I found where it's missing...on the ACTUAL parody page...the breakdown or whatever...is missing...

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/28/04 at 2:25 pm

Oh-ho-oh....now that you mention it...

what you'll notice, is that the voting breakdown is there (how many 1's, etc), but the next time someone votes, it'll all get reset. 

I think I lost voting data once before, but never quite on this scale.  I ran a program called purge old data, which I thought got rid of some backups of unrelated databases.  Instead, it was something written with the old method of parody deletion in mind.  Had I run it ten minutes later, nothing would have happened.  Needless to say, Ive removed the program so this never occurs again. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/28/04 at 3:46 pm

Whatever, Chucky.  Your house.  We're just the unruly houseguests who won't leave.
Though we do appreciate your concern.

Written By: Arwen on 07/28/04 at 3:52 pm

We're just the unruly houseguests who won't leave.

I'll admit that I'm the one who has been snooping through your medicine cabinet...but Leo's the one who stole your towels...

Written By: STG on 07/28/04 at 3:54 pm

Damn you Chucky!!!!!!
You have ruined the only thing that keeps my little ego in line and afloat!!!!!!
ARGGGGGGH!!!!!!

just kidding, I personally don't care. I remember when we didn't even have the polls.
Damn, after remembering that I feel old. Hey, don't worry I'm sure the regulars will still stay. I mean, I'm still here.

from S.T.G.

Written By: nally on 07/28/04 at 4:02 pm

I'm somewhat aware of this...I tried accessing the amiright.com site and the pages took forever to load; eventually it gave up and said "Cannot Find Server." Is anyone else unable to access the site?

Written By: ... on 07/28/04 at 4:39 pm

I'm somewhat aware of this...I tried accessing the amiright.com site and the pages took forever to load; eventually it gave up and said "Cannot Find Server." Is anyone else unable to access the site?

I've had that same problem; the pages never load. I wonder if the server crashed again??? ??? :o

Written By: philbo on 07/29/04 at 5:12 am

Oops... have you been to the Jeb Bush school of vote-counting, Chucky?

Doesn't seem that long ago that we hit 10k parodies, seems odd to hear you say "the most recent 10,000".  Ah well, I guess that means...
It's time to clear those cookies,
It's time to vote all night,
It's time to up those vote counts
Here at amiright

It's time to be nice to Chucky
I know he don't feel right
I know he'll get restarted
(so don't you get downhearted)
I know he'll get restarted
And he'll reboot amiright ;)

Written By: jreuben on 07/29/04 at 8:19 am

Seems like the site is actually up now, just incredibly slow.  Chucky's probably still working on it.

Written By: PRobinson on 07/29/04 at 8:38 am

ChuckyG - Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.  And I thought I had a bad day yesterday (my computer came very close to a total crash.  - Back up? No, I haven't...Oh, fiddle-de-dee, who needs to back things up,  I'm too busy....) Now, I recall one thought I had when I thought I might have lost my whole hard-drive:  "Well, at least there are copies of the parodies I've submitted on the 'amiright' site"...talk about taking things for granted...

Written By: adagio on 07/29/04 at 1:09 pm

Hey, I'm casting my lot with everybody who commented...we should be getting enjoyment from just writing the parodies.  I really doubt that anyone will go anywhere, Chucky...who'd take us?  ;D

Written By: 2nz on 07/29/04 at 9:09 pm

Yo... I hads me an awesome month in a completely different country. Cool off, Chucky. e'successo mi amico. I'm fine whatever happens, yo. I have gained so much experience from this site, I've actually used that experience in college to ace some submissions, and I never got too many votes anyway. Heh heh, there goes my chance at breaking 40 votes on one parody this millenium  :D. I was so close too  :D

Written By: Peregrin on 07/30/04 at 2:44 am

Attn Chucky G !

Please report to the Principal's Office  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/30/04 at 10:03 am

thanks everyone for the understanding. 

In the past, I have tried to get across the message that:

1) Votes are for the author's own understanding of how their song performs (not a competition between authors)
2) Comments are probably even more useful
3) Parodies should be backed up by the authors themselves, because it's impossible to guarantee I'll never lose them
4) Same for comments

had the voting tallies still been up, they'd be really freaky looking for the next few weeks.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 07/30/04 at 12:00 pm

You know I have a record of all my tallyed votes and comments even tallyed to which song. What sucks is I didn't record the score.

Written By: PRobinson on 07/31/04 at 4:37 am

ChuckyG - points well taken.  I'd started to do that a while back and got lazy because, well.....because...but with a little help from what some of the folks here had the foresight to save and post now I can reconstruct most of my personal numbers,  and I really don't spend a lot of energy trying to compare them to the other author's.  I'm interested in seeing how many parodies the other writers have posted and noticing who continues to write after they have plumbed the depths of the songs that they were most familiar and comfortable working and come face-to-face with that "Oh-Oh, that's all the songs I really know" wall.  I've been there and the first couple times I seriously wondered if I was about to become a "past tense" here.  Now I know I can find more material to write to and different ways to create more.  I do like to have the numbers so can see if my average # of votes are moving up and if I'm maintaining my averages while doing so..  But the comments offer a more significant picture and really tell you more about whether you are posting well-written and entertaining pieces.  Whatever you decide on the lost votes is OK with me, I plan on continuing here regardless. 

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/31/04 at 11:56 am

One more "me three" to everyone's key points:

(1) Condolences, Chucky. This was your baby, and I know how it feels to lose a big project. We still love you.
(2) Numbers, schmumbers. To paraphrase Bill & Ted's Kansas quote: "All votes are is dust in the wind, dude. Dust. Wind. Dude."

How does this affect me personally? I now find the Amiright stats cited in William Tong's author bio even more overweening than before. So I suggest an alternate list of what he calls the "Top 100 Parodies" that only includes votes received after The Crash.

But that's pretty much it. Vote counts or no vote counts, I predict that most of us will remain the compulsive parodists that Amiright has made us become.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...