inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should we reset the entire vote count?

Written By: philbo on 07/30/04 at 11:28 am

2858 of my votes vanished in the great voting crash of '04 - that's 52.6%... but I'm by no means the worst off.  With a little bit of forethought (i.e. I knew this would happen), I took a backup of all authors' vote totals, and have run a simple comparison...

Just thought I'd give a run-down of who's done worst in the vote-losing stakes.  Obviously, the recent crop of authors have lost every single vote - 109 separate authors who've lost all their votes :(

Biggest loser of all those who lost 100% is EmiLoca, who's down 922 votes, followed by Laurence Dunne (858) and Jan Unwin (843)

Though this kind of pales into insignificance beside Guy Dirito - who's lost 99.9% of his votes, down from 8316 to, er... 5... and Rick D who's down by 4972 to just 15.  Poor old Spaff as well: down 1886 to just 5.

Will Tong may have lost 5276 votes (more than most have gained at all), but he's still got 26,100 left...

So what do you think - would it be "fair" to restart everyone at the same level?  I'll vote a bit later - please feel free to argue as well.

Subject: Re: Should we reset the entire vote count?

Written By: K1chyd on 07/30/04 at 12:04 pm

The authors page looks kinda rediculous now. A newbie gotta wonder what keept Guy DiRito going with only 1 vote per 100 songs. (Not to mentions those with complete "flatlines").

Personally, the more parodies I have written the more I have come to apprechiate the comments rather than the votes, though the combination is of course the best response of all, so If nothing can be done (to restore them) I have to say that I´m with Phil (that it´s a possible solution) to nuke the rest of the votes too

And that I say without even taking into consideration the huge amounts of political parodies and towards them prejudiced 111s and 555s we will have to see mock the whole idea of fair voting during the next three months. ;-P I enjoy voting, I enjoy having my parodies voted upon, but let´s face it, to the mundane occasional visitor that part of the site might seem a bit secterish, and therefore add to the overall impression of a bit of a secterist site, and there´s not many things worse than apparent secterism to scare people off. Spaff might have been right on the money with calling us the inhabitants of "the island of misfit parodists" in the sleeve of his Christmas album.

So let that place on the pages be replaced with more Google Ads or some other income-bringing feature that will better serve the purpose of helping Chucky keeping the site going at all.

Written By: Arwen on 07/30/04 at 12:25 pm

I guess I'm in the minority...as I really don't care...

But I'm just questioning the "fairness" issue.  What do you mean, it would be more fair?  Fair to whom?  Fair about what?  This isn't a competition...so...I don't really see where fairness plays in...

Written By: Arwen on 07/30/04 at 12:32 pm

Biggest loser of all those who lost 100% is EmiLoca, who's down 922 votes, followed by Laurence Dunne (858) and Jan Unwin (843)

Poor old Spaff as well: down 1886 to just 5.

Actually...Spaff did lose everything...those 5 are all from yesterday...just...FYI...

And if it's going to put a lid on the whole thing...I'm all for resetting everything...like I said, though...I don't care too much...

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/30/04 at 1:10 pm

What do you mean, it would be more fair?  Fair to who?  Fair about what?  This isn't a competition...so...I don't really see where fairness plays in...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD, WOMAN!  
Um, I mean, "Your Highness".

I was thinking exactly that as I was strolling down these comments wondering what all the hubbub was about...  
God knows, my ego can be a frighteningly fragile thing, but in my more enlightened moments, I try to use experiences like this recent "tragedy" as an opportunity to notice just how much importance I sometimes place on really meaningless stuff...

No disrepect to the time and energy I spend writing stuff I hope people will appreciate, but having taken in the feedback, I'm not sure why it would be important to have a record of it.  For what?  To impress da ladies?

"Lots of people really, really liked this really, really funny thing I wrote once... really, they did... I can prove it -- wait, let me boot up... it's right here... on this web page..."

"GONE!!!  D A M N  Y O U,  C H U C K Y!"

"Really, sweetie, someone really liked this thing once,  in fact, LOTS of people did... I got fives and everything.... what's a 'five'?  Well sweetie, let's just say that a lotta lotta people thought it was really, really funny, so... it must REALLY BE FUNNY... just read it..."

"What?  What do you mean 'okay'?  If you'd only seen what THE OTHERS thought..."

"Well, will you give me some anyway?"

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/30/04 at 1:23 pm

I was thinking exactly that as I was strolling down these comments wondering what all the hubbub was about...  

I warned  you to beware of the Elf Queen's subtle magic, my friend.....

......she works in mysterious ways...... ;)

Written By: philbo on 07/30/04 at 2:00 pm

Actually...Spaff did lose everything...those 5 are all from yesterday...just...FYI...

And if it's going to put a lid on the whole thing...I'm all for resetting everything...like I said, though...I don't care too much...

I know - rather like Guy's last 5 or Rick's 15... but they never showed up as a zero

As far as "fairness" goes, that, to some extent, was the point of the question - do people think it would be more "fair" for whoever they think, themselves, everyone else, whoever... obviously, one so fair as yourself would fare as well whether t'were fair or otherwise.  Or something like that.

Written By: Arwen on 07/30/04 at 2:43 pm

"Well, will you give me some anyway?"

That's a negative, mister.  Do you know how long it took me to get in there??

And secondly...um...that depends.  How many Song of the Month contests have you placed in??   ;)

Anyway, Leo, I'm not usually a self promoter...um...okay, well I am...but I usually don't actually refer people to my stuff...but since we're obviously surfing the same wave(length)...you'll probably like my submission for today...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/thecure1.shtml

Written By: Rick D on 07/30/04 at 3:29 pm

I'm for resetting the whole thing, and putting as note at the top with the date of resetto let newbies know. Start everyone from ground zero. The mammals have been destroyed and it's time for the cockroaches to inherit the earth. The old school (me) will evolve. Besides, the comments are where the humor and fun is. everything else is numbers.

Written By: Arwen on 07/30/04 at 3:32 pm

Besides, the comments are where the humor and fun is. everything else is numbers.

Amen, Rick!

Written By: Armstrong on 07/30/04 at 3:33 pm

maybe i'm old and senile... but i don't want my vote totals being reset... just as if you asked anyone before the crash if they would want their vote totals reset they would say no. Why should we be punished for being here a long time?

Written By: jreuben on 07/30/04 at 3:43 pm

At least part of me is with Mike Armstrong on this one, although I do have all my old vote counts saved in Phil's application (thanks Phil!!!!!).  I guess if they get reset, I can create my own webpage with the numbers from Phil's app and revel in my own greatness :P (Just kidding, while I don't have much of a life, I have slightly more than that!!!)

PS:  Arwen, the funniest part of this thread is the bottom of your message:

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.  Hate me because I'm probably going to spill my drink in your lap.

Written By: Arwen on 07/30/04 at 4:28 pm

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.  Hate me because I'm probably going to spill my drink in your lap.

Awww, Jeff! 

Thanks!  It's true though...you probably shouldn't stand too close...unless you've got a Shout wipe handy... :)

Written By: jreuben on 07/30/04 at 7:40 pm

Sad thing is I'd be too drunk to notice  8)

Written By: adagio on 07/30/04 at 8:38 pm

It's kind of hard to say what is 'fair' in this case.  I'm definitely in favor of the authors who've been here longer to keep their votes  (I'm not one of them). Also, I don't think it's fair that such authors as Guy DiRito and Rick D, among others, even though they haven't been here ages to suffer when they worked hard on their parodies and had a lot of votes.  If it all cannot be reset, what about voting on 'fair' in descending order and those who have been here a long time?

Written By: EthanM on 07/30/04 at 8:49 pm

at least in my case the parodies that have been officially reset to zero still have the voting records of  how many 1 through 5 votes there were intact... maybe there's some way that information can be used to fix the lost voting totals. i don't think its such a big deal  anyway as long as we have those to see how we did (unless those will be lost if they are voted on)

Written By: Mr X on 07/30/04 at 8:52 pm

I'm wondering if the vote counts on the Misheard Lyrics artists should be reset...especially those with over 800 votes. Those have been around for a while, and the Beatles, Backstreet Boys, and Michael Jackson are among the performers with the most votes. Let's face it, the ratings for how difficult they are to understand, how popular they are, and how funny aren't gonna change if they have so many votes. ::) (There's some mathematical explanation for that, but it's kinda long.)

Written By: Armstrong on 07/30/04 at 11:45 pm

At least part of me is with Mike Armstrong on this one, although I do have all my old vote counts saved in Phil's application (thanks Phil!!!!!).  I guess if they get reset, I can create my own webpage with the numbers from Phil's app and revel in my own greatness :P (Just kidding, while I don't have much of a life, I have slightly more than that!!!)

No jeff... the funniest part if the ability to view a pie chart of the 5 vs 3 vote count on the top of the page.

Written By: PRobinson on 07/31/04 at 4:16 am

Well, personally I like to see the vote counts...not because they really are all that important,  but because it satisfies my Obsessive-Compulsive sensibilities and I have an attachment to useless statistical compilations that I have had a part in producing.  But if I can get my old totals from Phil's very prescient and timely back-up file then I can just keep that myself to give me a starting point to add to from the post-crash reset date.  I guess there is about a 1 month gap in between but that is not that big a deal,  and I did not post very many parodies in that month. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/31/04 at 8:44 am

I'm against removing all the votes, only because those older parodies were mostly submitted to the site before the comments feature, so that's the only feedback a lot of those authors ever received.

Written By: Arwen on 07/31/04 at 11:44 am

I'm against removing all the votes, only because those older parodies were mostly submitted to the site before the comments feature, so that's the only feedback a lot of those authors ever received.

Well, there you go.  End of discussion.  Let's move on.  :)

Written By: Armstrong on 07/31/04 at 6:08 pm

chuck the diplomat. Ever thought of running for congress?

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/31/04 at 9:49 pm

chuck the diplomat. Ever thought of running for congress?

I don't think we have to end the discussion because I stated my opinion... but I think people would probably agree with it anyways

Written By: PRobinson on 08/01/04 at 12:37 am

ChuckyG -  I think that factor on the older parodies tips the scales over to where the counts should be retained.  Otherwise those older works take on the appearance of "museum pieces" - you can walk around and look, but you're not allowed to touch anything...

Written By: Arwen on 08/01/04 at 1:11 am

I don't think we have to end the discussion because I stated my opinion... but I think people would probably agree with it anyways

You might not think so...and it's not really that you stated your opinion...I just WANT to move on...and I using your (the one with the power) opinion as a reason why we should...

Written By: K1chyd on 08/01/04 at 4:20 am

...those older works take on the appearance of "museum pieces" - you can walk around and look, but you're not allowed to touch anything...

Unless comments can be authorized... (what´s the english antipode term for "in-advance"? My mind´s gone blank at the moment so insert it here)... for those too?

Though even if so that might land us in the discusson of whether or not that´s the will of not any longer present authors etc...

I don´t know what I think about this any more. :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/01/04 at 8:19 am

Unless comments can be authorized... (what´s the english antipode term for "in-advance"? My mind´s gone blank at the moment so insert it here)... for those too?

Though even if so that might land us in the discusson of whether or not that´s the will of not any longer present authors etc...

I don´t know what I think about this any more. :-\\

Comments aren't authorized unless requested by the author. Especially on the political ones, since they tend to end up angering a ton of people who can't leave anything but hate messages.

Written By: Rick D on 08/01/04 at 11:24 pm

I, like Ethan, have noticed that the voting breakdown still reflects the old votes. Seems to me that is a record of the old votes. I wonder if Chucky can use those. Certainly anyone who cares can go through and write them down.

Written By: jreuben on 08/02/04 at 8:50 am

Leo:  Yes, the concern is that you'll get less votes and less comments from people who casually browse the site and don't want to take the time to log in.  Personally, whiile I do enjoy the comments from other parody writers, I'm also curious what the casual observer/reader thinks as well, so I'm willing to put up with (ignore) some idiot posting 1-1-1 for the extra feedback.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/02/04 at 2:28 pm

Yeah, don't take away Guests.  Registering for anything scares people away.

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/02/04 at 3:54 pm

Well, maybe a 'members only' comment option would be useful for the controversial ones. 

I never vote for parodies where the "the author did not authorize..."

Written By: PRobinson on 08/04/04 at 9:32 pm

I, like Ethan, have noticed that the voting breakdown still reflects the old votes. Seems to me that is a record of the old votes. I wonder if Chucky can use those. Certainly anyone who cares can go through and write them down.

Rick - Yeah, that's what I did.  Didn't take that long once I developed some "short-hand" notations.  About 35 - 40 minutes for around 115 entries
Paul R.

Written By: Ahnonamis on 08/06/04 at 2:04 am

The only problem with that is once someone votes on a song that was wiped blank, even the thing that showed how many people voted 1-5 resets as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...