inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Revote the Vote Campaign

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/04/04 at 4:07 pm

Ive started on my revote the vote campaign.  This campaign is a reaction to the voting tallies disaster of July 28th.  Everyone recast the votes that were lost after the crash.  I already started recasting votes on Spaff's parodies, I hope some people will join me ont his. 

Subject: Re: Revote the Vote Campaign

Written By: Arwen on 08/04/04 at 5:01 pm

Ive started on my revote the vote campaign.  This campaign is a reaction to the voting tallies disaster of July 28th.   Everyone recast the votes that were lost after the crash.  I already started recasting votes on Spaff's parodies, I hope some people will join me ont his. 

Hmmm...doesn't that turn the whole thing into even MORE of a popularity contest than it already was?  I LOVE Spaff...don't get me wrong...I really really really love him...but why does he get re-voted on first...when you KNOW that the re-vote process isn't going to span everyone?  (Because if it WERE going to span everyone, you'd just start at the top...not in the middle...with Spaff)

Why isn't it Cookie-man?  Or Michael McVey? 

Just wondering...

And I'll voice again that I think "re-voting" is totally a waste of time.  What about all the random votes from one time visitors that you know we all have?  What about if someone gave a song 5s the first time around...because they were brown nosing...but now they don't like that author anymore...so this time they give it 1s?

It's just ridiculous...in my humble opinion...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/04/04 at 6:04 pm

I agree completely with Arwen on this.  Because we clearly share a brain.  But I would like to add that it's a moot point.  We've already had this conversation.  Mighty Spaff himself said that even he thinks it's unnecessary, back when Johnny was trying to do this.  And really, who cares?  I've kept quiet on this before, because I don't have very many parodies up, and so I don't feel like I lost as much as someone like Malcom Higgins.  But I think it's time for people to pick up the pieces and move on. 

At the end of the day, votes are just gravy.  I couldn't care less about them.  I care about the fact that I sit at my desk and laugh out loud at people's parodies every day.  I care that I've met some FABULOUS people on this site.  And I care that I finally found a place where people are as dorky as I am.  So please feel free to give me ones on every song I've ever done.  Because it simply isn't important to me.

Written By: Arwen on 08/04/04 at 6:09 pm

I care that I've met some FABULOUS people on this site.  

So please feel free to give me ones on every song I've ever done.  Because it simply isn't important to me.

First of all...thanks...I know I'm Fabulous... ;)

Second of all...what are you going to do if we lose all our votes again...and your ones are lost forever???  :o

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/04/04 at 7:05 pm

I'm with the women on this, but I am fast recognizing that as I always seem to be in the general minority around here on issues such as this.

I'm just going to have to learn to shut up and let people do what they will, as I'm not particularly interested in having a more or less wonderful experience writing and reading parodies on this site degenerate into an experience of becoming resident whining old negative party-pooper doodie face person.

But let me just say this for the record:  I've noticed that some people, with the best, most generous of intentions, have been wonderful enough to re-vote and/or re-comment on parodies of mine that they'd already read. 

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS FOR ME!  (excuse me for raising my voice... for emphasis, not in anger)

I review my parody list every week or so to look for new comments, so unless you think you may have made a comment around the week of the 28th that I possibly might not have seen....(caution -- I'm about to emphasize again...)

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS FOR ME!

As it is, I don't think any of us has nearly enough time on our hands to really fully appreciate the many years of brilliant stuff on this site that we haven't even READ yet without taking time we don't have to re-write generous comments that have already been read and acknowledged.  I know some others may feel different, so I'm only saying for my part (once more with feeling...)

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS FOR ME!

Instead...

FIND a parody you've never read before -- doesn't even have to be ONE OF MINE (*gasp*)
FIND a neglected parody that has NO comments or votes and take the time to read THAT one.
READ a parody from an author you've never given the time of day to before.
Oh, and...
WRITE a PARODY, d a m m i t!

Written By: Rick D on 08/04/04 at 7:19 pm

I'm with Leo Jay and Arwen. I'd much rather have someone read something from the middle of the pile I've made here and make a comment, than get a bunch of replacement votes. And I'll try to do the same.

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/04/04 at 7:37 pm

well, ok, if everyone's against the revote campaign then screw it...just trying to help....

oh, and Arwen, the reason why I started with Spaff, is that I was reading one of his parodies at the time

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 08/04/04 at 7:42 pm

I actually wrote a song about this terrible act of terrorism or so I believe called "Man Behind The Keyboard" to Michael Jackson's "Man In The Mirror". http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/michaeljackson90.shtml
I know Chucky claims HE had an accident but its very clear to me that the terrorist have struck and all that DC, NYC, and NJ finacial establishment threat stuff is just a cover up. Still I feel my song could serve as the theme song to the campaign.

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/04/04 at 8:01 pm

well, ok, if everyone's against the revote campaign then screw it...just trying to help....

Your good intentions are well noted, and please understand that although the four of us happen to be right  ::)  we hardly qualify as 'everyone'.  I'm more than happy to assume I'm part of the vocal minority on this, and that there are many, many misguided unenlightened souls who have a different take.   ::)

Written By: MooRocca on 08/04/04 at 11:04 pm

oh, and Arwen, the reason why I started with Spaff, is that I was reading one of his parodies at the time

I was planning to go through as I get a chance and just recast my votes an author at a time at random, as I've been doing back catalogs all along.  I spent a lot of hours reading and rating, so I would like to see the votes I cast restored.  Spaff has written a lot of parodies I enjoy and his is one of many catalogs I look forward to revisiting, so his is as good a catalog as any to start with if you still want to lead a more organized group effort. 

Written By: Arwen on 08/04/04 at 11:58 pm

Nobody has to stop doing anything because I stated my opinion and a couple of (supa-cool) people agreed with me.  I know there are people that would LOVE to see your project succeed...I just, personally, don't think it's reasonable...especially if the nature is to restore what is "deserved."

Mostly...because I maintain that you won't go back and re-visit every single song you've ever voted on...do you even remember every song you've ever voted on?  I know I don't.  You'll go to the authors you remember...i.e...who you already like.  So...I don't see it as much more than picking and choosing who deserves to recover from this "tragedy."

And if we're going to talk about Spaff...that's great that you guys love his work...we ALL do.  But...I think that he knows that I, Arwen, love him (as should all the writers who I love!) because of my comments...which are still there...not because of a vote.  Or a re-vote.  Or a re-re-vote.   

Again...this is just my opinion...I'll take Leo's lead and bow out now...

Thanks for reading...

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/05/04 at 9:27 am

...I'll take Leo's lead and bow out now...

Me?  "Bow out"?  Don't be naive child...

...FIND a neglected parody that has NO comments or votes and take the time to read THAT one.
READ a parody from an author you've never given the time of day to before...

I must say, I become more and more enamored of these ideas the more I think about them (clever girl, that Leola... ) 

I think it would be cool to have the Author's Index display the number of parodies with no comments for each author.  Wonder how tough that would be for our ChuckyG? (God knows he doesn't need more work to do). 

Yes, we can go to each author's individual page and see which of their parodies have no comments, and that's great, but most of us are going to be inclined to check the authors we already read a lot -- it would be nice to see some underappreciated work from some underappreciated authors get more play.

What do you guys think?  I'll PM ChuckyG for his thoughts...

Written By: Ahnonamis on 08/06/04 at 2:10 am

I say we all stop complaining, and vote on that nice chap Ahnonamis' songs!  I myself think he deserves nothing less than 6's, but, unfortunately, I have to give him only 5's. 

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/17/04 at 8:57 pm

Ive started on my revote the vote campaign.  This campaign is a reaction to the voting tallies disaster of July 28th.   Everyone recast the votes that were lost after the crash.  I already started recasting votes on Spaff's parodies, I hope some people will join me ont his. 

I agree with everyone else that it's rather futile to try to make up for lost votes. Unless, of course, it's on my parodies. Heh heh. (By the way, I find myself typing "heh heh" with increasing frequency. Where did that come from? Did I steal it from Claude like I do everything else?)

Anyhoo, Billy, futile or not, I appreciate your very kind gesture. May Yorick's round yellow skull smile upon you forever.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 08/17/04 at 11:18 pm

"Heh heh. (By the way, I find myself typing "heh heh" with increasing frequency. Where did that come from? Did I steal it from Claude like I do everything else?)"

Heh heh...

pr

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/18/04 at 12:47 pm

Heh heh.  I thought we both stole it from Rick.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/18/04 at 12:52 pm

Heh heh.  I just jumped on the bandwagon.  Heh heh.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/18/04 at 3:05 pm

Heh heh.  I just jumped on the bandwagon.   Heh heh.

Heh heh

Written By: Billy Florio on 08/18/04 at 4:07 pm

to be different, Ill do it backwards:

heH heH

Check for new replies or respond here...