inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: A Question of grammar

Written By: K1chyd on 08/15/04 at 9:35 am

Hi! Can you native-swirling-tounges help this poor Swede out before his brain becomes a mashed potatoe or something like that? It´s about the term "next of kin", will that in plural be "nexts of kin" or is "next of kin" both singular and plural?

//  Peter

Subject: Re: A Question of grammar

Written By: EthanM on 08/15/04 at 10:59 am

i don't think i've heard of next of kin ever being plural but i'm pretty sure nexts of kin is not right since nexts is never a word in english

Written By: K1chyd on 08/15/04 at 11:35 am

Thanx Ethan. That´s what I thought and as far as I remember also what I was tought in school. For reasons that would be a long, long story to explain I had to check it (the phrase) out and Google gave me 25 hits for "nexts of kin" so I became confuzzled. :-)

Written By: Rick D on 08/15/04 at 12:23 pm

Mari says same for plural and singular, as "kin" is both.

Written By: philbo on 08/15/04 at 12:46 pm

I'd go with Mari on this. 

Written By: Arwen on 08/15/04 at 6:14 pm

Yeah...my worthless degree in English didn't get me much of a job...but I do know that there's no plural for next...=)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/16/04 at 10:05 am

Next question:

If a ward in a hospital has more patients than beds, do you referre to it as being "overcrowded", or is there a special medical term for owercrowded wards?

One more:

Is "Senior Physician in charge" the correct way to referre to the "Top Dog" among the Senior Physicians on a ward? Or, again, is there some special medical term for that position?

Sorry for taking up place with this that has nothing directly to do with parodying, but knowing myself all too well these terms etc will probably end up used that way too, sooner or later. :-)

Written By: philbo on 08/16/04 at 5:21 pm

If a ward in a hospital has more patients than beds, do you referre to it as being "overcrowded", or is there a special medical term for owercrowded wards?

Overcrowded will do... unless you're a NHS manager, then it's probably something like "120% utilisation of resources"

Is "Senior Physician in charge" the correct way to referre to the "Top Dog" among the Senior Physicians on a ward? Or, again, is there some special medical term for that position?

In the UK you wouldn't refer to the "senior physician" (it has a bit of a transatlantic ring to it); typically "Senior Consultant" or some such, I guess - you could always refer to "Sir Lancelot Sprat" (for anyone who's seen Doctor in the House, that is)

Written By: Peregrin on 08/16/04 at 6:06 pm

Next question:

Tongue in cheek, I would say the term is "Typical"  :P

Written By: K1chyd on 08/18/04 at 2:49 pm

In the UK you wouldn't refer to the "senior physician" (it has a bit of a transatlantic ring to it); typically "Senior Consultant" or some such, I guess - you could always refer to "Sir Lancelot Sprat" (for anyone who's seen Doctor in the House, that is)

I think they are either American or Australians or Dutch (speaking english). :-)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/20/04 at 1:29 am

I think they are either American or Australians or Dutch (speaking english). :-)

Hey! I take offense to 1/3 of that comment! ;)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/20/04 at 8:01 am

Hey! I take offense to 1/3 of that comment! ;)

I take offense to 2/3 of it, if you get my drift Luke  ;D ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 08/21/04 at 9:31 pm

If this were a military hospital the SPIC (Senior Physician in Charge) would probably be refered to the HMFWIC.    ;D
Whereas a department head would likely be referred to as the MFWIC.  ::)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/22/04 at 7:40 am

If this were a military hospital the SPIC (Senior Physician in Charge) would probably be refered to the HMFWIC.    ;D
Whereas a department head would likely be referred to as the MFWIC.  ::)

Care to expand on those abbreviations?

Check for new replies or respond here...