inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Front page of amiright

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/04 at 4:08 pm

I'm thinking the funny music headlines thing, ain't cutting it, and is not close enough to the spirit of the site. 

Instead, I'm thinking of replacing it, with some sort of daily free form contest.  Not full out parodies, but let's say, I (or someone else) picks out 10 or so lines from a song, and a subject matter (ie. ten lines from We Will Rock You on the subject of Iraq).

example:

Subject is Iraq

Buddy you’re a boy make a big noise
Playin’ in the street gonna be a big man some day
You got mud on yo’ face
You big disgrace
Kickin’ your can all over the place

We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you

Buddy you’re a young man hard man
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
You got blood on yo’ face
You big disgrace
Wavin’ your banner all over the place

It would be available for a day for people to leave their favorite ideas up.

Or we could pick a subject from one of the other sections of the site, like bad onhold music, and I pick a subject. For example: What would be a bad choice for onhold music for a Psychiatric Hospital?

Or maybe we could alternate (MWF would be a quickie parody) and Tues/Thurs would be something else.

I know that voting is too easily influenced and too poorly controlled, so I'm thinking it wouldn't have voting, it would just be more of a, "post something for bragging rights" type of thing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Subject: Re: Front page of amiright

Written By: Arwen on 09/07/04 at 4:23 pm

Or we could pick a subject from one of the other sections of the site, like bad onhold music, and I pick a subject. For example: What would be a bad choice for onhold music for a Psychiatric Hospital?

I love Love LOVE this idea. 

It reminds me of a game I used to play with my friends.  We had a radio station that had one of those late night request DJs...and people would call in and spill their whole life stories to this lady...and then ask for a song to help them through...or whatever.  It wasn't a big deal if they chose their own song...but if they let the DJ pick it...it was always disastrous...because she chose the most inappropriate songs imaginable. 

Caller:  Hi, my boyfriend is abusive...I don't think I can take it anymore.

DJ:  I feel your pain.  Here's "Push" by Matchbox 20.

That type of thing...

We used to role play...just for laughs...quickest/funniest answer to any given "caller" was the winner.

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/07/04 at 6:17 pm

For a front page, I would think of maybe a randomly generated parody from any of the previous day's submissions...callit "RECENTLY ADDED PARODY" or "NEW PARODY OF THE DAY" or something...that would get to the heart of the matter of what the parody site is about, and offer exposure to the many authors.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/07/04 at 6:26 pm

For a front page, I would think of maybe a randomly generated parody from any of the previous day's submissions...callit "RECENTLY ADDED PARODY" or "NEW PARODY OF THE DAY" or something...that would get to the heart of the matter of what the parody site is about, and offer exposure to the many authors.

And the software might even be able to keep changing which parody is being shown every hour or so.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/07/04 at 6:59 pm

And the software might even be able to keep changing which parody is being shown every hour or so.

ugh... random stuff is soooo... 1995.  nah... I don't think I'll be doing that. 

I'm really more interested in a new feature for the site, that will make people want to check out other stuff, and maybe check the front page every day.

Written By: PRobinson on 09/07/04 at 10:03 pm

ChuckyG - This is just a random thought that was passing through between my ears just now, but how about a contest where folks try to tie together the story-lines from either that day's entries or perhaps the ones from the previous day.  Or maybe just finding ANY sort of commonality that links to pieces - - - Wait!  OK - You will put one of the parodies up on the front page,  WE (the readers/writers) create a string that links it in some way to another entry of the same day.  Then from THAT link we have to try and connect to a different parody from the same day.  I guess this object would to see if we could possibly like in some way or another to every entry form that day... Any type of link would do:  story-line,  original song artist, common references - anything that extends the "ripple" out further.  Does this make any sense at all? 

Written By: Arwen on 09/07/04 at 11:19 pm

Paul...I'm thinking...Six Degrees of AmIRight...any two parodies...regardless of how unique of one another...can be linked within six degrees or less...

Written By: PRobinson on 09/08/04 at 1:19 am

Paul...I'm thinking...Six Degrees of AmIRight...any two parodies...regardless of how unique of one another...can be linked within six degrees or less...

Arwen - THAT was EXACTLY the term I was looking for!  SIX DEGREES OF...like the "Kevin Bacon" game...you know, you might just be a genius...

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/08/04 at 9:04 am

ChuckyG - This is just a random thought that was passing through between my ears just now, but how about a contest where folks try to tie together the story-lines from either that day's entries or perhaps the ones from the previous day.  Or maybe just finding ANY sort of commonality that links to pieces - - - Wait!  OK - You will put one of the parodies up on the front page,  WE (the readers/writers) create a string that links it in some way to another entry of the same day.  Then from THAT link we have to try and connect to a different parody from the same day.  I guess this object would to see if we could possibly like in some way or another to every entry form that day... Any type of link would do:  story-line,  original song artist, common references - anything that extends the "ripple" out further.  Does this make any sense at all? 

it might be interesting, but you would have to write up some sort of guidelines as to how you could connect them.  Otherwise, if a parody was picked and it was an Avril Lavigne song, and three other people did one of hers that day, you'd have three right off that are easy to spot.

Written By: Arwen on 09/08/04 at 9:26 am

Arwen - THAT was EXACTLY the term I was looking for! SIX DEGREES OF...like the "Kevin Bacon" game...you know, you might just be a genius...

it might be interesting, but you would have to write up some sort of guidelines as to how you could connect them.  Otherwise, if a parody was picked and it was an Avril Lavigne song, and three other people did one of hers that day, you'd have three right off that are easy to spot.

Paul--I AM, actually, a genius...and Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is one of my all time favorite games.  I get bored with Kevin Bacon, though, and usually play with two other totally unrelated actors.

And as far as the game goes...I'm with Chucky...I think it would be too easy...on this site...for several reasons.  I don't think it would take more than 3 degrees to connect most songs on the site...

Written By: PRobinson on 09/08/04 at 9:59 am

Paul--I AM, actually, a genius...and Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is one of my all time favorite games.  I get bored with Kevin Bacon, though, and usually play with two other totally unrelated actors.

And as far as the game goes...I'm with Chucky...I think it would be too easy...on this site...for several reasons.  I don't think it would take more than 3 degrees to connect most songs on the site...

Well, Arwen, when I said it was EXACTLY what I was looking for I didn't mean we should just mimic the "Kevin Bacon" thing,  only that something in that general vein might be fun and stimulating.  I really hadn't given any thought at all to actual details.  See, when discussing the "Six Degrees/Bacon" I must tell you that I never actually got fully engaged in trying to work through it...I just thought it was an interesting proposition that was quite possible quirky enough to be kind of fun.  So I think a lot of folks would probably be better at putting together the "nuts and bolts" of such a contest.  I can tell you from the way this twisted little mind of mine works that if I got started trying to structure this type of thing I would probably get all tangled up trying to create options for WAY too many variable possibilities.  But I do think this general idea has some merit...I was just hoping someone ELSE would just waltz right in and say, "Right, no problem,  I'll build it tomorrow"...uh...yeah....

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 10:03 am

Maybe it would work if you specified the order the connections had to be found.  So you start off with a random parody and you have to find......

1) something on the same topic.  then
2) something starting with the same letter.  then
3) something by that same original artist. then
4) a parody the random parody author had written on the same topic.

Might be impossible to work out in this particular list but you get the idea

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 10:05 am

Another thought not quite connectd to this topic but if i don't post it now when will I  :-\\. 

There is a link from amiright to this messageboard but not a link in reverse (unless I missed it).  It might generate more interest in amiright if there was a link back.  I bet lots of posters don't even know about its existence.

Written By: PRobinson on 09/08/04 at 10:07 am

Maybe it would work if you specified the order the connections had to be found.  So you start off with a random parody and you have to find......

1) something on the same topic.  then
2) something starting with the same letter.  then
3) something by that same original artist. then
4) a parody the random parody author had written on the same topic.

Might be impossible to work out in this particular list but you get the idea

Karen,  Thanks,  that's actually very good - creating a structured criteria so everybody doesn't fly off in a million different directions  

Paul R.

Written By: K1chyd on 09/08/04 at 1:06 pm

Since the subject of the matter primarily is to attract new and/or more visitors to the site than those of us that already are hooked, how about this idea of yours but the other way around and with a quiz twist. Something like this. You put up approx 10 extremely good lines from a recent parody (Spaff´s "budhist, nudist, flutist" passage comes to mind) with the question/headline "Can you guess what original song these parody lines fit?" and 4-10 alternatives to guess between.

And also, depending on which alternative the visitor clicks he´s taken to either "That´s right, do you wanna read the whole parody, click here" or "Sorry, that´s wrong, but there are also parodies of that song and if you wanna read them click here. Or if you wanna go back and guess again click here".

This idea requires a minimum of randomness and I suppose that as long as the monthly comp is running we´re also minimizing the amont of stuff you´ll have to read through personaly to find those ten lines, asuming the way to go is your personal preference. If so, I´m pretty sure you´ll find enough stuff within the top ten list. (We might have to disqualify Spaff now and when though, so that you´ll get past the number ones of each month). :-)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/09/04 at 1:37 am

Since the subject of the matter primarily is to attract new and/or more visitors to the site than those of us that already are hooked, how about this idea of yours but the other way around and with a quiz twist. Something like this. You put up approx 10 extremely good lines from a recent parody (Spaff´s "budhist, nudist, flutist" passage comes to mind) with the question/headline "Can you guess what original song these parody lines fit?" and 4-10 alternatives to guess between.

And also, depending on which alternative the visitor clicks he´s taken to either "That´s right, do you wanna read the whole parody, click here" or "Sorry, that´s wrong, but there are also parodies of that song and if you wanna read them click here. Or if you wanna go back and guess again click here".

That sounds like the best idea so far.

Written By: karen on 09/09/04 at 4:02 am

I like k1chyd's idea too.

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 11:33 am

Great idea!

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 12:40 pm

Great idea!

See...this is why I love Leo. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 12:46 pm

Actually, I left that comment only because I was bored out of my skull and momentarily intrigued with the idea of seeing Leo Jay as  the last commenter on every thread on the first page.

But the moment passed after the first 10 threads...

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 12:58 pm

Actually...

>:(

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/10/04 at 10:37 am

all good ideas so far...

I think a "guess the original" would work better if the lyrics were performed... just typed out, it's kind of like a search engine challenge.  Sometimes in a really awful singing voice (I channel Edith on All in the Family) I'll since a misheard lyric for Susan and she'll try and guess it (usually fairly well).  Not that I want to do that myself for the site... though it would certainly be humourous

I could do something like this, where part of a famous album cover is obscured and people try and guess it.

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/10/04 at 11:19 am

I could do something like this, where part of a famous album cover is obscured and people try and guess it.

Sounds cool.

Written By: PRobinson on 09/11/04 at 12:36 pm

all good ideas so far...

I think a "guess the original" would work better if the lyrics were performed... just typed out, it's kind of like a search engine challenge.  Sometimes in a really awful singing voice (I channel Edith on All in the Family) I'll since a misheard lyric for Susan and she'll try and guess it (usually fairly well).  Not that I want to do that myself for the site... though it would certainly be humourous

Sounds like a good idea to try...

Paul R.

Check for new replies or respond here...