inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: creating from the beginning

Written By: oneNemesis on 09/08/04 at 6:24 am

Just wondering what sort of programs one might use to create some of these very amusing parodies...?

Subject: Re: creating from the beginning

Written By: karen on 09/08/04 at 6:55 am

In terms of writing parodies then most people use their brains and some means of writing their ideas down.  Sometimes a misheard lyric might give them the initial idea or a current headline sounds rhythmically similar to a chorus.

If you mean recording the parody then this thread gives some information.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,2661.0.html

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/08/04 at 11:58 am

Just wondering what sort of programs one might use to create some of these very amusing parodies...?

I use Word.  I used to like WordPerfect, but that was many years ago, long before I caved in to the megalomania of Bill Gates and joined the MS Office crowd. 

Sometimes, if I'm at work, I'll use email -- it's easier to just type directly into an email to myself, rather than type into Word only to have to attach the Word document to an email that I then send to myself so I can finish it at home.  When I do use email, it's usually Hotmail (Gates, again).  But I also have a Yahoo! account, so sometimes I do use that -- just for variety.  Hotmail and Yahoo! both have pretty much the same functionality, though, at least as far as parody-writing is concerned.

If I'm writing while commuting, I tend to use the Memo Pad application in my Visor Deluxe PDA, which runs on a Palm OS.  If I get an idea late at night when I'm already in bed, or if I happen to be out somewhere where it's inconvenient to use my PDA, I'll use my cellphone to call my voicemail and dictate the idea into it.  Of course, I then have to transcribe it later on...

And for that, I use Word.

Written By: Arwen on 09/08/04 at 12:07 pm

I use Word.  I used to like WordPerfect, but that was many years ago, long before I caved in to the megalomania of Bill Gates and joined the MS Office crowd. 

Sometimes, if I'm at work, I'll use email -- it's easier to just type directly into an email to myself, rather than type into Word only to have to attach the Word document to an email that I then send to myself so I can finish it at home.  When I do use email, it's usually Hotmail (Gates, again).  But I also have a Yahoo! account, so sometimes I do use that -- just for variety.  Hotmail and Yahoo! both have pretty much the same functionality, though, at least as far as parody-writing is concerned.

If I'm writing while commuting, I tend to use the Memo Pad application in my Visor Deluxe PDA, which runs on a Palm OS.  If I get an idea late at night when I'm already in bed, or if I happen to be out somewhere where it's inconvenient to use my PDA, I'll use my cellphone to call my voicemail and dictate the idea into it.  Of course, I then have to transcribe it later on...

And for that, I use Word.

I can think of a word that rhymes with Word...

Nerd...

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/08/04 at 12:20 pm

I can think of a word that rhymes with Word...

Nerd...

I can think of a word that rhymes with 'Nerd':

Turd

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/08/04 at 12:23 pm

I can think of a word that rhymes with 'Nerd':

Turd

I can think of a Nerd who's a Turd:

Bill Gates

Written By: philbo on 09/08/04 at 1:19 pm

...that's starting to sound like a Grease parody:

Gates is a nerd, and a turd he's absurd
He's got power, he's got billions...

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/08/04 at 1:25 pm

...that's starting to sound like a Grease parody:

Gates is a nerd, and a turd he's absurd
He's got power, he's got billions...

Gates is a slime, a disgrace, a bowel motion
Gates gets away with such stealing

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 7:01 am

C'mon guys, we're getting a little off-topic.

Back to the actual point of this thread (because there is one, believe it or not):

I was talking about this with some of my colleagues at work yesterday.  Although none of them have actually tried to write a parody before, they're a fairly intelligent bunch of guys and can occasionally offer a useful insightful about this type of technical issue. 

In the course of the conversation, one of them suggested that I might want to try Notepad.  At first I was skeptical -- first, because the guy actually had no parody writing experience and seemed to be just talking out of his butt, and second, because,  Notepad, as it turns out, is (once again) a Bill Gates product.  However, the more I thought about the idea, the more intrigued I was by it, so I resolved to test it out as soon as I got home.  And it worked!

This is all to say you never know which programs might help you with your parody-writing efforts, so experiment!

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 10:39 am

C'mon guys, we're getting a little off-topic.

Back to the actual point of this thread (because there is one, believe it or not):

I was talking about this with some of my colleagues at work yesterday.  Although none of them have actually tried to write a parody before, they're a fairly intelligent bunch of guys and can occasionally offer a useful insightful about this type of technical issue. 

In the course of the conversation, one of them suggested that I might want to try Notepad.  At first I was skeptical -- first, because the guy actually had no parody writing experience and seemed to be just talking out of his butt, and second, because,  Notepad, as it turns out, is (once again) a Bill Gates product.  However, the more I thought about the idea, the more intrigued I was by it, so I resolved to test it out as soon as I got home.  And it worked!

This is all to say you never know which programs might help you with your parody-writing efforts, so experiment!

Yeah...I'm going to stick with my original comment on this thread...regarding Leo... ;)

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 11:31 am

Yeah...I'm going to stick with my original comment on this thread...regarding Leo... ;)

Hey, don't make fun just because you're still using goosefeather quills and dried sheepskin. 
At least none of God's creatures have to die so I can create my parodies.
Bastard.

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 11:45 am

Hey, don't make fun just because you're still using goosefeather quills and dried sheepskin. 
At least none of God's creatures have to die so I can create my parodies.
Bastard.

Actually I dictate my parodisical brilliance to scantily clad (yet very efficient) typist...

None of that, however, changes the fact that you are a Nerd. 

A Nerdy Bastard.

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 12:18 pm

Actually I dictate my parodisical brilliance to scantily clad (yet very efficient) typist...

You mean, her? 
http://users.esc.net.au/~mapie/typist.jpg

Hired her once, but she was so incompetent, I had to let her go-go.
Glad she found another gig.

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 12:37 pm

You mean, her? 
[

OH. MY. HELL!

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 12:39 pm

OH. MY. HELL!

The Internet can be a scary tool, n'est-ce pas?

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 12:41 pm

The Internet can be a scary tool, n'est-ce pas?

And HOW! 

I remember once on TOTTM, you asked AKA and me where we were finding all the funny pictures.  You seem to've gotten the hang of it, my friend...

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 1:00 pm

It's kinda hit and miss, but once in a good while I surprise m'self and come up with the goodies.

Well...12,348 points for you!

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 1:55 pm

Can we get back on topic, please?  >:(

This is about programs to create parodies, remember?

Random, off-topic and otherwise irrelevant posts should be restricted to the The Only Thread That Matters.

As long as it's funny. 

Otherwise, just keep it to yourself.

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 2:39 pm

Can we get back on topic, please?   >:(

This is about programs to create parodies, remember?

Random, off-topic and otherwise irrelevant posts should be restricted to the The Only Thread That Matters.

As long as it's funny. 

Otherwise, just keep it to yourself.

Like a lack of humor has ever stopped you from posting.

By the way...when my sexy stenographer isn't available, I use notepad.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/09/04 at 2:42 pm

Whoah!  ARWEN and LEO are having TOO MUCH FUN!  It must be the NEGATIVE IONS!  They need MORE BREAKFAST CEREAL!  Come on, open up, you two, and eat your CORN FLAKES!

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 2:48 pm

Whoah!  ARWEN and LEO are having TOO MUCH FUN!  It must be the NEGATIVE IONS!  They need BREAKFAST CEREAL!  Come on, open up, you two, and take your CORN FLAKES!

By the way, Arwen, you are devastatingly beautiful. 

Johnny...please keep all references to drugs on TOTTM...

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 2:49 pm

By the way...when my sexy stenographer isn't available, I use notepad.

http://www.billfree.org/images/notepad.gif

Ok, so you're not killing animals for your art...
But what about the poor trees?

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 2:52 pm

http://www.billfree.org/images/notepad.gif

Ok, so you're not killing animals for your art...
But what about the poor trees?

Are you looking to get spanked?

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/09/04 at 2:57 pm

Johnny...please keep all references to drugs on TOTTM...

Is THAT better (see above), heh heh heh?

;D

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 3:00 pm

*sporting an impishly naughty expression that would put Austin Powers to shame*
yesplease...

Ah ha...I knew it!

Is THAT better (see above), heh heh heh?

;D

Much better, JD...good job.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/09/04 at 3:13 pm

Much better, JD...good job.

Thank you, Your HIGHness!  Feel free to (LS)Delete the (TH)Comment in your previous reply that still has the offending words.  ;D

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 3:19 pm

Thank you, Your HIGHness!  Feel free to (LS)Delete the (TH)Comment in your previous reply that still has the offending words.  ;D

Fixed it.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/09/04 at 3:52 pm

Fixed it.

By the way, Johnny D, you are devastatingly handsome, much more so than that loser Vin Diesel.

So did I, you little tart.

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 3:59 pm

So did I, you little tart.

Who me???  ::)

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 5:32 pm

(SIDENOTE:  That I "shoot out of order" instead of writing in linear fashion is why I haven't participated in any of the group writing efforts on the boards.  Until I saw y'all take turns writing them in order the way you do, I just assumed everyone writes them out of order as I do... now, I wonder whether anyone does.  Do any of you?)

I TOTALLY write them out of order...

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/09/04 at 11:05 pm

Not to interrupt, but...  on the original question asked, the answer is "whatever works for you."

Pen and paper (or things that can be substituted) are essential -- I have scribbled notes (not just for parody ideas) on and with anything that could be written upon or would make a visible mark on something else.  I've even scratched open mosquito bites to scrawl ideas in my own blood on my skin, when I lacked any other means to jot them down.  (My muse is a twisted little B**** who gets a kick out of striking at the most inconvenient times.)  I keep paper and pen in my nightstand, hidden in the cabinet nearest my tub, in my closet, hidden in the kitchen, stashed in my vehicles, etc.   I used to carry a mini-recorder with me, but I stopped doing that because I so hate the sound of my own voice that I tended not to play back my day's ideas, later.  But, maybe that's something that would work well for you....

blah, blah, blah... "my muse"... blabber, blabber... "cadences"... whatever, whatever... "pacing"...

I'm sure that would all be very *yawn* interesting for the paro-nerds interested in such procedural minutiae, MooRocca, but I think the critical question at this point is:

Once you're finally done with all this 'craft of writing' nonsense, what software do you use to convert it into something funny?

If you can share something helpful about that, I think we'd all appreciate it.

Written By: Arwen on 09/09/04 at 11:48 pm

blah, blah, blah... "my muse"... blabber, blabber... "cadences"... whatever, whatever... "pacing"...

I'm sure that would all be very *yawn* interesting for the paro-nerds interested in such procedural minutiae, MooRocca, but I think the critical question at this point is:

Once you're finally done with all this 'craft of writing' nonsense, what software do you use to convert it into something funny?

Did I mention that:

a:  I use notepad...and/or a sexy helper...

&

b:  Leo's a Nerd?

Written By: MooRocca on 09/09/04 at 11:50 pm

Curse you for asking a direct question and thus forcing me to reveal the real secret behind my success!  Ok, ok... I use Mesmir 2.0    It puts the end user in a trance, then plants a post hypnotic suggestion that the content is funny, insightful, well paced and rhymed... when in fact, it's usually just random alpha-numeric characters that appeared on the screen when I accidentally set my coffee cup down on the keyboard.  Happy now??   Harumph!  

Written By: MooRocca on 09/10/04 at 12:01 am

... and when that fails, I steal borrow one of Claude's and slap my name on it.

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/10/04 at 6:39 am

Curse you for asking a direct question and thus forcing me to reveal the real secret behind my success!  Ok, ok... I use Mesmir 2.0    It puts the end user in a trance, then plants a post hypnotic suggestion that the content is funny, insightful, well paced and rhymed... when in fact, it's usually just random alpha-numeric characters that appeared on the screen when I accidentally set my coffee cup down on the keyboard.  Happy now??   Harumph!  

Now, was that so hard?  And it took far fewer words than your other jibber-jabber...

Let's all try harder to cut right to the chase, people -- we'll all save a lot of time and bandwidth.
Thanks.

Written By: philbo on 09/10/04 at 6:50 am

... and when that fails, I steal borrow one of Claude's and slap my name on it.

Shhhhh!  Don't telll everyone ;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/10/04 at 10:38 am

LOL

MooRocca, I heard "Hot Blooded" this morning and immediately thought of you.

Written By: karen on 09/10/04 at 10:56 am

Maybe I misinterpreted what oneNemesis was asking.  I thought his/her question implied that they were looking for some 'magical' programme that you could type in the original lyrics and a topic and it would generate a parody for you.  Hence my original answer.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 09/11/04 at 4:52 am

The joint's always jumpin' and the tub's always thumpin'  --  well, except last week, I threw some manikens in it and tricked some guy in Indiana into renting it for a small fortune.... I have a copy of his rental form, here... hmm... looks like I rented it to a guy called  "Spaff's B*tch"  (How'd you like to go through Jr. High with THAT name?  Yeesh!)    Anyway, weird little guy, asked if we knew any good restaurants in the area that served poodle patties or tabby tarts, reeked of monkeys, dressed like Cliff Claven and kept biting my husband, Heath.  Luckily, I had my can full o' mace handy -- I didn't get to spray him with it, just letting him see it was enough to keep him in line.

Heh heh.  Glad I didn't say I drink MooRocca Yellow.

Check for new replies or respond here...