inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Antii-Bush/Pro-Kerry Parodies

Written By: EthanM on 09/13/04 at 2:43 pm

It seems a lot of bush supporters found my last parody... what i think is one of the most welll written parodies i've ever done is now under 2 for its average vote. just read as a poem if you don't know the original

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jayz10.shtml

Subject: Re: Antii-Bush/Pro-Kerry Parodies

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/04 at 2:53 pm

It seems a lot of bush supporters found my last parody... what i think is one of the most welll written parodies i've ever done is now under 2 for its average vote. just read as a poem if you don't know the original

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/jayz10.shtml

I'm really getting sick of anti-bush or anti-kerry things. We get it, you hate one or the other- shut up! I especially hate the one-track minds that do exclusively {or almost exclusively} political stuff. I know you have a speciality, but try to step out of that realm for a while. Do something new, it would be a refreshing change.

I accuse no one in particular, just a lot of people do.

Written By: EthanM on 09/13/04 at 3:19 pm

i hope you're not accusing me... i just checked with phil's amiright viewer and i've submitted 37 parodies this year and only 3 of them have been primarily political. Also, if there is any time that political parodies should be encouraged that time is now

Written By: Arwen on 09/13/04 at 3:23 pm

i hope you're not accusing me... i just checked with phil's amiright viewer and i've submitted 37 parodies this year and only 3 of them have been primarily political. Also, if there is any time that political parodies should be encouraged that time is now

I never thought I'd be defending Apricot...but I really don't think he was accusing you.  He's probably aiming his comment more at like...Mister Pacholek...or the like.

He might think that all of Michael's recent presidential parodies are political, too...

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/13/04 at 3:38 pm

Political parodies as a whole aren't all that popular, to my thinking. It's rare to find one that's funny and partisan. I haven't sought out any, but I haven't read a funny pro-Bush/anti-Kerry song yet. Anyone care to point me in that direction, if there is one? Come on, you compassionate conservatives--make me laugh!! :D

Written By: Apricot on 09/13/04 at 4:45 pm

No fingers pointed. I just wanted to express the feeling I've had for a while. I suppose the parodies will die down once the election is over and we get through the "oh no, my guy didn't win" phase.

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/13/04 at 8:32 pm

Political parodies as a whole aren't all that popular, to my thinking. It's rare to find one that's funny and partisan. I haven't sought out any, but I haven't read a funny pro-Bush/anti-Kerry song yet. Anyone care to point me in that direction, if there is one? Come on, you compassionate conservatives--make me laugh!! :D

on this site there are a good amount of funny political parodies from both sides...you gotta lookl for them...Will Tong and Michael Pacholic have their share, as does John Jenkins, Ethan, my brother, Phil, Alvin Dover, Malcolm, and um..me..{cough cough}

just look

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/13/04 at 10:43 pm

I'd be intersted in this if the topic title names were reversed :)

Written By: EthanM on 09/13/04 at 10:48 pm

I'd be intersted in this if the topic title names were reversed :)

it's fine with me if someone starts up one of those there are plenty on amiright

Written By: bobbypags on 09/14/04 at 9:42 am

I'm really getting sick of anti-bush or anti-kerry things. We get it, you hate one or the other- shut up! I especially hate the one-track minds that do exclusively {or almost exclusively} political stuff. I know you have a speciality, but try to step out of that realm for a while. Do something new, it would be a refreshing change.

I accuse no one in particular, just a lot of people do.

Well Apricot, don't read them.  I won't speak for the others who write political parodies, but I certainly don't write them for you nor do I write them for popularity.  You assume that those of us who write political parodies can't write anything else and that's just incorrect.  I admire those who speak their minds and channel their political views through parody; this is refreshing.  To all the political parody writers - don't ever change - and that goes for Guy too.  Besides, my guess is that there are probably a higher percentage of political parodies out there during this election because it's so polarized.
bob

Written By: MooRocca on 09/14/04 at 11:25 am

Well Apricot, don't read them.  I won't speak for the others who write political parodies, but I certainly don't write them for you nor do I write them for popularity.   You assume that those of us who write political parodies can't write anything else and that's just incorrect.  I admire those who speak their minds and channel their political views through parody; this is refreshing.  To all the political parody writers - don't ever change - and that goes for Guy too.  Besides, my guess is that there are probably a higher percentage of political parodies out there during this election because it's so polarized.
bob

Not only do I agree with this 100%, I'll add that parody authors should write what they want (or are inspired) to write.  If the resulting parodies don't clash with Chucky's guidelines and the author wishes to submit them to this particular site, he/she should submit them. 

There are plenty of topics that I don't care to read parodies (or anything else) about,  but I would never suggest or even think to myself that authors should stop submitting their parodies to better tailor the site to my personal tastes.  I'm not the only reader here.

Ethan's parody is political, but not every parody that mentions politics or that lampoons political figures is a political parody.  For example, I would say that Michael Pacholek's "Presidents" series, which I'm enjoying very much,  is historical, not political.  A funny parody made up of nothing but Bushisms would be about Bush's tendency to get tongue tied with often hilarious results, not about his politics and not necessarily written from an anti-Bush P.O.V.  (I know several fiercely loyal Bushies, in real life, who think his Bushism's are funny and a big part of his charm -- even ol' George himself has been known to make light of his misspeaks.) 

I, myself, got some "I don't like political parodies" comments on one of my recent contest submissions: "Repeat Yourself" to Madonna's "Express Yourself."  I was a little surprised since that parody wasn't about politics, at all.  It was about the increasingly lazy media letting itself be used as a vehicle for saturation advertising campaigns at the expense of investigative journalism and other real news and that the method is effective and in such broad use only because the increasingly lackadaisical public is so willingly led by it.  (If it wasn't so effective, it wouldn't be used and we might be able to get a little real news mixed into our daily propaganda and mindless fluff.)  It was a social commentary, not a political commentary.  If the makers of Tide laundry detergent were getting Tide hailed in the news every other sound byte and getting its competitors slammed at the same time, it would have been exactly the same parody with different sound byte examples used to illustrate the point.  The difference is that I wouldn't have received "Sorry, I don't like doing laundry" or "Oh great, another boring laundry parody" comments.  Instead, I might have gotten, "Sorry, I don't watch the news." 

What really tickles me is the current "ones guy's"  trend toward mass "one"ing of political parodies.  Goodness knows, only the power of the mighty anonymous multiple "one"ing can thwart the political Amiright parody submission's evil ability to forever alter the political landscape, sway the masses and transform itself into policy.  ::)  Only those dreaded "one"s can strike at the heart of the author and make the author see the error of his/her ways (whether that's having taken the wrong political side or posting parodies on a topic the "ones guy" doesn't like or whatever) and lead the author to post only fluffy, happy little timeless parodies about nothing of consequence or importance to anyone, as a good little parody author should

Written By: bobbypags on 09/14/04 at 11:37 am

Well said, MooRocca.  Obviously, you're preaching to the choir with me - like you, I would never tell someone what to write.  Whether I agree with a person's political point of view or not, certainly everyone has a right to express themselves.  As Apricot has a right not to like them - but to encourage people not to write what they want to is somewhat disturbing.  Lenny Bruce, SNL, Mort Sahl, Bill Mahr, Letterman, Leno, etc - thanks.
bob

Written By: Will on 09/14/04 at 3:38 pm

Eloquently stated, MooRocca.  Political parodies definitely have a place at Amiright.  I dare say, in my unbiased  ;) opinion that political parodies are a bit more difficult to write because you have to make a point and you have to know something about the issues.  Besides, some of the press citations earned by Amiright have come from some of the political parodies posted there. 

By the way, the current Singular Cretin has hit my latest parody with 300 bogus 1-1-1 votes.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/royacuff0.shtml

Not only do I agree with this 100%, I'll add that parody authors should write what they want (or are inspired) to write.  If the resulting parodies don't clash with Chucky's guidelines and the author wishes to submit them to this particular site, he/she should submit them.   

There are plenty of topics that I don't care to read parodies (or anything else) about,  but I would never suggest or even think to myself that authors should stop submitting their parodies to better tailor the site to my personal tastes.   I'm not the only reader here.

Ethan's parody is political, but not every parody that mentions politics or that lampoons political figures is a political parody.  For example, I would say that Michael Pacholek's "Presidents" series, which I'm enjoying very much,  is historical, not political.  A funny parody made up of nothing but Bushisms would be about Bush's tendency to get tongue tied with often hilarious results, not about his politics and not necessarily written from an anti-Bush P.O.V.  (I know several fiercely loyal Bushies, in real life, who think his Bushism's are funny and a big part of his charm -- even ol' George himself has been known to make light of his misspeaks.)   

I, myself, got some "I don't like political parodies" comments on one of my recent contest submissions: "Repeat Yourself" to Madonna's "Express Yourself."   I was a little surprised since that parody wasn't about politics, at all.  It was about the increasingly lazy media letting itself be used as a vehicle for saturation advertising campaigns at the expense of investigative journalism and other real news and that the method is effective and in such broad use only because the increasingly lackadaisical public is so willingly led by it.  (If it wasn't so effective, it wouldn't be used and we might be able to get a little real news mixed into our daily propaganda and mindless fluff.)  It was a social commentary, not a political commentary.  If the makers of Tide laundry detergent were getting Tide hailed in the news every other sound byte and getting its competitors slammed at the same time, it would have been exactly the same parody with different sound byte examples used to illustrate the point.  The difference is that I wouldn't have received "Sorry, I don't like doing laundry" or "Oh great, another boring laundry parody" comments.  Instead, I might have gotten, "Sorry, I don't watch the news." 

What really tickles me is the current "ones guy's"  trend toward mass "one"ing of political parodies.  Goodness knows, only the power of the mighty anonymous multiple "one"ing can thwart the political Amiright parody submission's evil ability to forever alter the political landscape, sway the masses and transform itself into policy.  ::)   Only those dreaded "one"s can strike at the heart of the author and make the author see the error of his/her ways (whether that's having taken the wrong political side or posting parodies on a topic the "ones guy" doesn't like or whatever) and lead the author to post only fluffy, happy little timeless parodies about nothing of consequence or importance to anyone, as a good little parody author should

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/14/04 at 4:04 pm

Eloquently stated, MooRocca.  Political parodies definitely have a place at Amiright.  I dare say, in my unbiased  ;) opinion that political parodies are a bit more difficult to write because you have to make a point and you have to know something about the issues.  Besides, some of the press citations earned by Amiright have come from some of the political parodies posted there. 

By the way, the current Singular Cretin has hit my latest parody with 300 bogus 1-1-1 votes.

which I just corrected... 3 legitmate votes and 350 bogus ones... total lack of creativity by some people

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/14/04 at 4:22 pm

WOW!! I just went and looked at that parody, Will --- it's way over 300 "one"-votes by now!

I guess you did a Onederful job of upsetting "them".... But... if they REALLY have the courage of their political convictions, they will post a reply on this thread under their true identity and stand up like a patriotic American conservative and proudly take credit for bashing your parody......

........because by viciously attacking your free speech while cowering like a wimp anonymously, they are spitting on the American flag, on America's precious ideals of freedom of expression, and on the incredibly selfless and brave people in America's Armed Forces who are willing to die even for pathetic cowards like them.

Written By: Arwen on 09/14/04 at 4:26 pm

........because by viciously attacking your free speech while cowering like a wimp anonymously, they are spitting on the American flag, on America's precious ideals of freedom of expression, and on the incredibly selfless and brave people in America's Armed Forces who are willing to die even for pathetic cowards like them.

Not taking political sides here...and I am annoyed by the ones guy(s) as much as anyone is...but I don't really think that they are bashing anyone's free speech, Johnny.  They are just exercising their own.  The fact that they choose to do it anonymously, while VERY cowardly, I'll agree, is beside the point...in my opinion...

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/14/04 at 4:37 pm

Not taking political sides here...and I am annoyed by the ones guy(s) as much as anyone is...but I don't really think that they are bashing anyone's free speech, Johnny.  They are just exercising their own.  The fact that they choose to do it anonymously, while VERY cowardly, I'll agree, is beside the point...in my opinion...

Hmm, we can agree to disagree on this minor-in-the-overall-scheme-of-things-detail, Arwen ..... Voting ONCE is what I would call exercising one's own free speech ..... but voting OVER THREE HUNDRED TIMES is what I would call a pathetically vicious yet impotent "bashing" of the author, going WAY beyond a civil expression of one's own freedom of opinion.

Written By: Arwen on 09/14/04 at 4:56 pm

Hmm, we can agree to disagree on this minor-in-the-overall-scheme-of-things-detail, Arwen ..... Voting ONCE is what I would call exercising one's own free speech ..... but voting OVER THREE HUNDRED TIMES is what I would call a pathetically vicious yet impotent "bashing" of the author, going WAY beyond a civil expression of one's own freedom of opinion.

I'm not justifying a person re-voting on ANY song...for the good or the bad of it.  I think everyone knows how much importance I give to votes around here.  Which is why I DO agree with you that it is sucky that one givers hide...I think everyone should drop a comment...regardless.

However...to put a different spin on it...(kind of focusing on the "free speech" issue)...I can email/write/petition/phone someone 500 times telling them that I disagree with them.  While I agree that it would get annoying...it doesn't really take any of their rights away from them.  Nor does it imply that I want their rights taken away from them. 

All it does is say..."I REALLY disagree with you."

And someone could tell me 500 times that they think I'm completely insane...but as long as they allow me to keep on saying what I want...I don't care.  Telling me, and everyone else in the world, that they think I am wrong...over and over and over again...does not take away my free speech.  Nor would I assume that they would like to.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/14/04 at 5:28 pm

Ok, first off Will, it's nice to see you on here.  I've always admired your parodies, but I've never been able to tell you.  So here I am telling you.  You do a fabulous job expressing opinions that are very similar to my own.

Secondly, when I saw that someone voted ones 300 times, I didn't really go so far as to think of them spitting on the American flag.  I just kinda thought they were a stupid loser with way too much time on their hands.  But that's just me...

And third, I've seen some excellent points by MooRocca, Bob, and Will.  I'm glad that Ethan brought this topic out into the light.  And Ethan, I DKTOS, but I enjoyed your parody as a poem.  As much as I enjoy the silliness of the message board, it's been interesting and enlightening to to hang around here... 

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/14/04 at 11:30 pm

Arwen and Ashkicksass, please trust me, as a digital virtual friend you've never yet met in-person...I mean no offense to either of you...I just react viscerally and knee-jerkedly when I see that kind of thing happen to a good soul like Will Tong, that's all. 

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I admit that voting 300+ stupid meaningless votes doesn't constitute expectoration on our national banner....I know that....I'm just trying to convey in words the emotions I feel in my gut, that's all.

Peace, Arwen and Ash...I'm just an emotional guy who reacts from his gut and his heart more than he sometimes should, that's all.

JD

Written By: Arwen on 09/14/04 at 11:48 pm

Peace, Arwen and Ash...I'm just an emotional guy who reacts from his gut and his heart more than he sometimes should, that's all.

JD

No offense taken, John-dalf!   :)  I AM capable (although Apricot would probably beg to differ) of disagreeing with someone without being mad/offended/ready to rumble.

You know I love you...just expressing my POV, that's all...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/15/04 at 9:13 am

JD

Honey, there was no offense taken AT ALL.  I hope I didn't come across as a butthead!  We know that you're a passionate guy, and that's why we love you so.  I'm sorry if I made it seem like I was upset with you, because it couldn't be more opposite.  I am just as irritated with the stupid one's guy as you are, believe me.

Hugs and Kisses...

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/15/04 at 12:24 pm

Arwen and Ashkicksass, you're two of the best pals I've never met!

Thanks for your kindness and understanding!

:) ;) ;D

John-dalf

Written By: Arwen on 09/15/04 at 12:53 pm

Arwen and Ashkicksass, you're two of the best pals I've never met!

Thanks for your kindness and understanding!

:) ;) ;D

John-dalf

Aw shucks!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/15/04 at 1:30 pm

Aw shucks!

Johnny, please see TOTTM.

Written By: STG on 09/15/04 at 2:55 pm

I hate politics.
I, myself, (though I am voting) am an anarchist with conservative morale.
I can't read the newspaper b/c each party is so pathetic in bashiong each other.
I get the f***in' drift.

Bush is a man who relies on his victories (little they may be) to get into office, and Kerry questions them.
Kerry is a man who relies on his war records to get into office, and Bush questions them.

I personaly think Bush should win, b/c I don't think a man should rely on his serving in a war to get into office.
Clinton didn't have to, why should anyone else.

Look for my parody "Kerry, John: The flipping-flopper of Boston"
Parody of "Sweeny Todd: The demon-barber of Fleet Street"

PS- I never wanna get into any heated arguements abou politics.
A good friend, and parody artist Will Tong and I have never gotten into debates, and I have even bashed people for bashing him.

FROM S.T.G.

Written By: Jared on 09/21/04 at 8:40 pm

A message for Bill Tong:

I'm not sure if you ever read my "Tongbashing" song, but if you have, I apologize

I only got on the anti-Tong bandwagon for two reasons: 1)Everyone else was, and 2)I was jealous of your stardom

I honestly agree with you about Bush, for the most part, but well, to be honest...I really think you need to diversify, Bill, try doing some non-political stuff

Alos, you should start accepting comments...know how your audience feels...contrary to what you might think, we don't all hate you.  your not accepting comments makes it seem like yoiu're only in this for yourself

But seriously, Bill, just think about it, OK?

Written By: Billy Florio on 09/21/04 at 8:59 pm

A message for Bill Tong:

I'm not sure if you ever read my "Tongbashing" song, but if you have, I apologize

I only got on the anti-Tong bandwagon for two reasons: 1)Everyone else was, and 2)I was jealous of your stardom

I honestly agree with you about Bush, for the most part, but well, to be honest...I really think you need to diversify, Bill, try doing some non-political stuff

Alos, you should start accepting comments...know how your audience feels...contrary to what you might think, we don't all hate you.  your not accepting comments makes it seem like yoiu're only in this for yourself

actully Jared, he has done parodies that are not just political...if you got o his website www.bootnewt.com ( i believe), I think theres a section for it

Written By: MooRocca on 09/22/04 at 7:37 am

A message for Bill Tong:

(Laying aside the fact that Will has submitted several non-political parodies  with the comments  enabled)

A political humorist should diversify, not by adding other comedic genre to his political humor repetoire or branching out into parodying more than just songs,  but by doing something OTHER THAN political humor?  I know you didn't realize it when you said it,  but man, that's cold... seriously, that's like telling him not to quit his day job! 

Written By: bobbypags on 09/22/04 at 9:16 am

And suddenly Jared's the authority on writing?  I think people write for many different reasons.  Certainly, if you're going to offer someone constructive criticism on style, technique or even a better line, that's one thing.  But to tell someone to branch out is absolutely absurd.  Jared, I believe that you, Tong, me and everyone else should express themselves in whatever way we want to express ourselves.  The audience is not just those who write for this site.
Keep on writin'
bob

Written By: EthanM on 10/15/04 at 10:25 pm

i' put a recording up on the front page so you can get an idea what it's supposed to sound like... the one comment i've gotten so far was a bit harsh but had nothing to do with the quality of the song (same goes for most of the votes)

Written By: philbo on 10/16/04 at 9:46 am

Harsh?  It was some asshole trying to sound macho.  I'll have a listen...

Check for new replies or respond here...