inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Calling All Apple iPod Owners!

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/18/04 at 5:00 pm

I recently purchased a 40GB Apple iPod, and I've been gradually ripping my classic rock CD collection onto it at 128 kbps. I've read that --- for rock, not classical music --- 128 kbps produces MP3's that sound perfectly OK to most people's ears.

I plan to rip my classical/baroque CD's as well, but at a higher bit rate, perhaps at 256 kbps, since classical music has more complex and quiet passages than your average rock tune.

Has anybody else had experience with the difference in sound between different sampling/ripping rates when turning CD tracks into MP3's for an iPod or any other similar MP3 player?

This is all a lot of new information for me!  Has anybody else dealt with these issues, especially the differences, if any, in rock -- versus -- classical music and 64 kbps -- versus -- 128 kbps -- versus higher rates of MP3 recording?

Any insights/stories/experiences/advice/suggestions will be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Johnny D

Subject: Re: Calling All Apple iPod Owners!

Written By: Gonfunko on 09/19/04 at 1:09 pm

I just use the default for ripping all my music (not sure what it is), but your theory makes sense to me. You shouldn't have to worry about compression much with the 40GB model, so 256 shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, and enjoy!

Written By: neminem on 09/19/04 at 5:32 pm

Personally, I listen to music a lot, both directly off cds and ripped onto my computer, and of huge numbers of genres including classical. And I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever between cd-quality audio and 128kbps mp3s. I certainly do notice the difference between 128-encoded and less than 128-encoded audio, though. I have a handful of 64kbps mp3s I ripped off an audio stream, and they sound quite bad.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/19/04 at 10:26 pm

I just use the default for ripping all my music (not sure what it is), but your theory makes sense to me. You shouldn't have to worry about compression much with the 40GB model, so 256 shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, and enjoy!

Thanks, Gonfunko.  I plan to try 256 for classical/baroque and similar orchestral music.

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/19/04 at 10:29 pm

Personally, I listen to music a lot, both directly off cds and ripped onto my computer, and of huge numbers of genres including classical. And I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever between cd-quality audio and 128kbps mp3s. I certainly do notice the difference between 128-encoded and less than 128-encoded audio, though. I have a handful of 64kbps mp3s I ripped off an audio stream, and they sound quite bad.

Thanks neminem --- I've just recently started comparing MP3's ripped at 56 kbps versus 128 kbps, and I think I can hear the difference.  I plan to continue using 128 for rock/folk/easy listening, and I plan to try 256 for classical/baroque.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/24/04 at 10:15 pm

I have several thousand cds, and spent about two weeks evaluating mp3 encoding software before backing up my collection (more than a measly 40 gig iPod could ever hope to hold).  At 128 kbps, you will notice problems with some music due to the encoding technique.  At 192 you'll almost never hear a problem.  I also picked LAME for the encoding type.  Even still, I do have a few tracks with issues (mostly Nine Inch Nails stuff, that is very complicated, much more complicated than any classical piece). 

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/24/04 at 10:50 pm

I have several thousand cds, and spent about two weeks evaluating mp3 encoding software before backing up my collection (more than a measly 40 gig iPod could ever hope to hold).  At 128 kbps, you will notice problems with some music due to the encoding technique.  At 192 you'll almost never hear a problem.  I also picked LAME for the encoding type.  Even still, I do have a few tracks with issues (mostly Nine Inch Nails stuff, that is very complicated, much more complicated than any classical piece). 

Welcome back, New Husband Charles Grosvenor!  Congratulations and best wishes for your new married life!  My wife and I are well into our 24th year...I wish you and your wife as many and more!

Wow, several thousand cds!  I have maybe a few hundred to several hundred, tops.

Yeah, I found some problems at 128....I'm glad I didn't do my entire collection before I found the problems.  I am re-encoding my collection at 320 kbps.  I don't plan to try to carry everything on my iPod, but I want to have most of (but not all of) my collection encoded & backed-up on good quality media for potential swapping in-and-out of the iPod as-needed.

Thanks for the info.

Written By: Rick D on 09/24/04 at 10:54 pm

And by the way...Welcome back. Some of us didn't like the haphazard update schedule, Now that you're done preparing for Chucky II to take over for you in twenty years, get back to work!

Check for new replies or respond here...