inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Philosophical banter never hurt anyone... did it?

Written By: 2nz on 09/21/04 at 12:10 am

Felt like sharing some of my organized mumbling with y'all. I guess I'll just dive right in, and you can take Socrates' advice and form your own opinions.

What happens right now cannot be understood right now. By receiving information at any given moment, one is forced to finish receiving before taking any time to contemplate. It is possible to understand what happened one second ago, three years ago and eras ago because there has been time to contemplate. Trying to understand what one has not completely received results in assumption. When one does not ‘get all of it’ and does not admit this in order to finish ‘getting it’, one assumes. Assumption makes something that isn’t known into the already understood thing that it most clearly resembles. How, then, do we as a people and as individuals know when we have completely received information?
Before I begin, I would like to end by saying that the ending determines the beginning. The middle is, of course, based on what happens between the beginning and the ending, with certain uninteresting details omitted because they are not relevant to the beginning or the end. What story must then be told so that you will be interest enough to listen? Does that story have great and magical descriptions of simple events that happen everyday? Or does it have a complete falseness about it, only permitted because of its symbolic or metaphorical relationship to life as you know it? Would you listen to me rattle off my mind, being as vague as I possibly can? You have been so far, haven’t you?
Bring your philosophies of life and love to the table with me. I believe that love is quite simple as a singular understanding. It is a want and a desire to have coupled with a need to understand its own desire. Love wants to possess but knows that this alone will not satisfy it. It understands that part of loving something is not to possess it but to let it go. However, love does not want to let go. It hangs on a cliff, always about to fall but never letting go. Was love at one time safely atop that cliff and only now is falling, or has love been scaling the mountain all this time, only to reach the top and be afraid to take that last step. After all, what’s at the top of the cliff? Happiness is a probable answer or maybe contentment, a much deeper and longer-lasting form of happiness. And that is quite scary for love. Love thrives on change where contentment distrusts change. After all, change implies struggle, or at least work and energy to be a part of that change. And how can you be content when you are struggling or working? Ah, maybe that is it. How do you content yourself while struggling? How can you be both at work and at peace? This is a different form of love that involves embracing not a singular subject, but change itself. It involves giving up on ever knowing exactly what is going on…right now.
The expression of it is what becomes complex and bewildering. Strange, it seems because strange it is. You must understand that love, like any other emotion, is a living being. It needs nourishment and guidance from something outside of itself. It has a spirit that drives it to whatever end. And it responds to everything. Love and emotion are the reasons that humans take any action at all. Our minds could simply perform like machines…
(feel free to continue this dialogue as you see fit)
(And if you think I’m wrong, say why)

Subject: Re: Philosophical banter never hurt anyone... did it?

Written By: marthadtox3 on 09/21/04 at 2:34 am

From the sublime to the ridiculous

very good idea for a thread .....  very thoughtful and interesting.

(while considering your remarks about the difficulty of defining love... I was reminded of the grotesque and ridiculous definiiton of sex notoriously put forward by President Clinton a few years ago.....I have posted it in the L word...)

Written By: STG on 09/25/04 at 1:23 am

I almost took interest in the post, but thn I saw all the words............................................dang!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/28/04 at 2:20 am

Felt like sharing some of my organized mumbling with y'all. I guess I'll just dive right in, and you can take Socrates' advice and form your own opinions.

What happens right now cannot be understood right now. By receiving information at any given moment, one is forced to finish receiving before taking any time to contemplate. It is possible to understand what happened one second ago, three years ago and eras ago because there has been time to contemplate. Trying to understand what one has not completely received results in assumption. When one does not ‘get all of it’ and does not admit this in order to finish ‘getting it’, one assumes. Assumption makes something that isn’t known into the already understood thing that it most clearly resembles. How, then, do we as a people and as individuals know when we have completely received information?
Before I begin, I would like to end by saying that the ending determines the beginning. The middle is, of course, based on what happens between the beginning and the ending, with certain uninteresting details omitted because they are not relevant to the beginning or the end. What story must then be told so that you will be interest enough to listen? Does that story have great and magical descriptions of simple events that happen everyday? Or does it have a complete falseness about it, only permitted because of its symbolic or metaphorical relationship to life as you know it? Would you listen to me rattle off my mind, being as vague as I possibly can? You have been so far, haven’t you?
Bring your philosophies of life and love to the table with me. I believe that love is quite simple as a singular understanding. It is a want and a desire to have coupled with a need to understand its own desire. Love wants to possess but knows that this alone will not satisfy it. It understands that part of loving something is not to possess it but to let it go. However, love does not want to let go. It hangs on a cliff, always about to fall but never letting go. Was love at one time safely atop that cliff and only now is falling, or has love been scaling the mountain all this time, only to reach the top and be afraid to take that last step. After all, what’s at the top of the cliff? Happiness is a probable answer or maybe contentment, a much deeper and longer-lasting form of happiness. And that is quite scary for love. Love thrives on change where contentment distrusts change. After all, change implies struggle, or at least work and energy to be a part of that change. And how can you be content when you are struggling or working? Ah, maybe that is it. How do you content yourself while struggling? How can you be both at work and at peace? This is a different form of love that involves embracing not a singular subject, but change itself. It involves giving up on ever knowing exactly what is going on…right now.
The expression of it is what becomes complex and bewildering. Strange, it seems because strange it is. You must understand that love, like any other emotion, is a living being. It needs nourishment and guidance from something outside of itself. It has a spirit that drives it to whatever end. And it responds to everything. Love and emotion are the reasons that humans take any action at all. Our minds could simply perform like machines…
(feel free to continue this dialogue as you see fit)
(And if you think I’m wrong, say why)

... you're an idiot.
;)

Written By: marthadtox3 on 09/28/04 at 4:53 am

Why do you come to that conclusion Luke?

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/28/04 at 9:45 am

To quote Robert Heinlein's fictional sci-fi character Lazurus Long:

"Small change can often be found under seat-covers."

Written By: 2nz on 09/28/04 at 12:04 pm

... you're an idiot.
;)

So are you
;)

Written By: philbo on 09/28/04 at 12:22 pm

To quote Robert Heinlein's fictional sci-fi character Lazurus Long:

Never try to out-stubborn a cat

;-)

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/28/04 at 12:26 pm

To quote Zippy The Pinhead...

" All life is a blur of Republicans and meat. "

;D

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/28/04 at 2:11 pm

... I was reminded of the grotesque and ridiculous definiiton of sex notoriously put forward by President Clinton a few years ago.....I have posted it in the L word...)

Do people really not think that Billyboy was just messing with those people?  Setting aside what I think of him personally and politically, I think they way he f*cked with them is pretty much the way I've always fantasized I'd have f*cked with Senator Joe McCarthy et. al. if I'd been some prominent person brought to testify before HUAC in the 50's...

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/28/04 at 2:15 pm

What am I talking about, HUAC in the 50s?  We're about to enter HUAC Revisited any day now...

Written By: marthadtox3 on 09/28/04 at 3:37 pm

we probably already have.... Bill surely had a lot of front ... that is probably a Brit expression.....

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/30/04 at 12:04 pm

Bill surely had a lot of front ... that is probably a Brit expression.....

I've never heard that one, but I like it.

Check for new replies or respond here...