inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Some kind of unwritten law?

Written By: The Invincible on 10/07/04 at 9:22 am

I've been going over some of my own stuff, and I started doing some thinking, which is a thing I do sometimes when there's nothing on TV.  Anyway, is it considered dishonorable to write a parody about yourself? I think this because I was reading over "Invincible", a parody I wrote a while back, and it seems that the parody community has ignored it. I was wondering if I did anything to upset the balance of society or something like that.

Subject: Re: Some kind of unwritten law?

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 9:28 am

I would say that a large chunk of my parodies are about myself.  True to life events...so...maybe people just didn't know the original song... :-\\

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/07/04 at 9:52 am

Songwriting about yourself or events in your life takes a certain skill--just as in memoir writing. Very few songwriters I've listened to do so in an entertaining way (Rappers do it ALL the time; Roger Waters has been good in the past, so has Frank Zappa). It's just me, but I rarely enjoy parodies with "inside" stories because the author usually doesn't make the story appeal to everyone but him/herself and their friends. Can you give me a link to the song you are talking about so I can check it out myself?

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 11:59 am

I don't think you have to know a person personally to think that a real life situation from their experience is funny.  When Paul Robinson told us all about the time he fell through the ceiling of a house he was working at...and hit his head on a joist of some sort...that was funny.  And I've never met the guy.

I think...if something is funny...it's funny.  Regardless.  And it doesn't matter if someone is my best friend.  If they write a lame or a boring parody...based on something real or not...it ISN'T funny.

I've gotten GREAT comments and votes on my real life accounts...so...I maintain, Invincible, that maybe people didn't know the original song.  I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't lame or boring... ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/07/04 at 12:31 pm

I've been going over some of my own stuff, and I started doing some thinking, which is a thing I do sometimes when there's nothing on TV.  Anyway, is it considered dishonorable to write a parody about yourself? I think this because I was reading over "Invincible", a parody I wrote a while back, and it seems that the parody community has ignored it. I was wondering if I did anything to upset the balance of society or something like that.

Not at all.  Look for my upcoming ode to my own greatness, "Nearer My Claude To Thee". 

Written By: jreuben on 10/07/04 at 2:26 pm

I wrote one...I Write The Songs...that was basically a tribute to a bunch of my parodies at the time, listing them off.  It was a bit pathetic, actually  :)

Anyway, most of the beer parodies I've written are about me, my friends, or my life in one way or another.

Written By: The Invincible on 10/07/04 at 9:01 pm

Okay, I think it's time to bring the parody in question out in the open.  By popular demand (and by popular, I mean agrimorfee), this is "Invincible"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/clayaiken9.shtml

Although this was my 10th parody to the site, it's not something I'm particularly proud of.  It's basically me buttering up the site to the tune of Clay Aiken's "Invisible", and I'm not even sure I got the pacing right.  Sorry Arwen, but it is rather lame and boring, now that I think about it.  Perhaps it's in everyone's best interest to not read it.

Check for new replies or respond here...