inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: it aint Royce

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/07/04 at 4:54 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/madonna60.shtml

Im sure that this isnt a Royce Miller parody as its labeled, mostly because its not written in her style, there are no comments enabled, and its Weird Al's lyrics

Subject: Re: it aint Royce

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 5:03 pm

I noticed the similarities in the lyrics...but I don't know Royce's style well enough to say it isn't her.

She did, however, write a parody like last week and prefaced it with a blurb saying that she might not enable comments on all of her parodies anymore...so...I just wasn't sure...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/jimcroce40.shtml

Written By: Billy Florio on 10/07/04 at 5:23 pm

well, I dont meant to be causing trouble then...it doesnt seem like a Royce parody...if it is then I have egg on my face....and I appologuise to Royce....

though, those are Weird Al's lyrics through most of it

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 5:32 pm

well, I dont meant to be causing trouble then...it doesnt seem like a Royce parody...if it is then I have egg on my face....and I appologuise to Royce....

though, those are Weird Al's lyrics through most of it

You're right...and I was going to say so...except that she didn't allow comments...

Written By: jreuben on 10/07/04 at 6:33 pm

That's odd...obviously Weird Al did that song, but the lyrics in this version are different (relatively original).  I'd be surprised if Royce wrote that though...not her style at all (and her parodies are usually written better than this one).

Written By: ISNorden on 10/07/04 at 9:04 pm

That's odd...obviously Weird Al did that song, but the lyrics in this version are different (relatively original).  I'd be surprised if Royce wrote that though...not her style at all (and her parodies are usually written better than this one).

Right on both counts:  this parody has different lyrics from Weird Al's (only a title and theme in common), but the style made me wonder whether someone else has borrowed/hacked into Royce's computer.

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 11:42 pm

No hacking would be required.  Anybody could type her name into the author field and submit a parody as Royce.  There are several people who post under different names...and several names that more than one person uses.  "A Room Full of Monkeys," for example.   

Written By: Bush for a Better America on 10/30/04 at 4:43 am

Has this ever been resolved, because this seems to be a problem again with writers being impersonated...

Written By: Royce Miller on 11/05/04 at 3:49 pm

I just happened to see this discussion on the messageboard, and I'm letting you know that I did write this parody, and it might not seem like my style, but I had no idea that Weird Al had written anything like this, cause I don't keep up with him----But no one has ever written a parody using my name, and if they had, I would have let Chuck know about it right away.....but the real author is standing up, and it's moi----royce miller

Has this ever been resolved, because this seems to be a problem again with writers being impersonated...

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/05/04 at 4:40 pm

I just happened to see this discussion on the messageboard, and I'm letting you know that I did write this parody, and it might not seem like my style, but I had no idea that Weird Al had written anything like this, cause I don't keep up with him----But no one has ever written a parody using my name, and if they had, I would have let Chuck know about it right away.....but the real author is standing up, and it's moi----royce miller

then I must appologuise for my accusation

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/05/04 at 5:09 pm

Wow! That's synchronicity! :o

An AL fan would be hard pressed to think that that was not a ripoff of Al's "Like A Surgeon".

Written By: PRobinson on 11/05/04 at 8:50 pm

Well, I just happened by here myself.  I'm glad Royce resolved the authenticity question.  Just thought I would make note that in recent weeks Royce has occasionally NOT activated the "Comments" feature, I believe because of some flack she was receiving on some of her pieces from a few folks.  I think she had one up either today or yesterday where the "Comments" were inactive.  I remember voting "5's" and being disappointed in not being able to make a brief remark.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/07/04 at 10:51 am

generally when a writer is impersonated, they let me know and it's removed.  It doesn't happen very often, so I don't see why it would be a "big" problem, unless it was occuring with some sort of frequency. 

Written By: philbo on 11/10/04 at 7:36 am

Every time I see this thread title, I keep wanting to fit it to "This Ol' House" - you know the one:

It ain't Royce, that's what I'm thinkin'
It ain't Royce's style or wit
It ain't Royce's sense of humour
It ain't Royce who wrote that s..ong

It ain't Royce's "Like A Surgeon"
It ain't Weird Al Yankovic
What?  It IS a Royce origininal?
It IS Royce... up I've been stitched ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/04 at 10:43 am

Every time I see this thread title, I keep wanting to fit it to "This Ol' House" - you know the one:

It ain't Royce, that's what I'm thinkin'
It ain't Royce's style or wit
It ain't Royce's sense of humour
It ain't Royce who wrote that s..ong

It ain't Royce's "Like A Surgeon"
It ain't Weird Al Yankovic
What?  It IS a Royce origininal?
It IS Royce... up I've been stitched ;)

really? I keep thinking of the old Creedence song.

It ain't Royce, it ain't Royce, It ain't Weird Al's song, song
It ain't Royce, it ain't Royce, She ain't no plagerist one, one

Written By: Royce on 11/10/04 at 4:01 pm

Gee, you guys got me laughing about this.....do you ever feel like a TROUBLEMAKER?  I do!  And I don't even intend to, really.    I never read Weird Al lyrics, so I guess I just had a similar train of thought, but I'm glad that this has been the source of some discussion, I guess my theme song should be "let's give em something to talk about"?    Well,  til next time, cheers.  Royce Miller

really? I keep thinking of the old Creedence song.

It ain't Royce, it ain't Royce, It ain't Weird Al's song, song
It ain't Royce, it ain't Royce, She ain't no plagerist one, one

Written By: BushForABetterAmerica on 11/16/04 at 1:48 pm

Or, what about that old 'Rice-A-Roni' TV commercial:

Royce?  Or phony?
Who wrote that par-o-dy?
Royce?  Or phony?
It's such a mystery!

Written By: AmericaForABetterBush on 11/16/04 at 4:25 pm

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...