inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Costume Party Challenge Questions Thread (Entries Closed)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/21/04 at 11:12 pm

MooRocca and I are running an anonymous challenge over in the Song Parody Contests forum and we decided if anyone had any questions they should respond to this thread anonymously, as a guest.  It's in this forum because you're not allowed to post as a guest over there.  The idea is for anyone who shows any interest in this challenge to remain completely anonymous so we won't even know they're thinking about participating, so please don't post here except as a guest.  We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Subject: Re: Costume Party Challenge Questions Thread

Written By: Han Puppet on 10/22/04 at 1:22 am

So how do I prove later that it was me who wrote my song?

Written By: MooRocca on 10/22/04 at 4:52 am

So how do I prove later that it was me who wrote my song?

You shouldn't have to.  I would hope nobody would be pathetic enough to stoop to something like that, but if such a dispute should arise at the unveiling, quality would suss out a thief in short order since only a really good parody would interest a thief and only someone who couldn't write a decent parody to save their life would be interested in laying claim to someone else's work. 

Written By: little girl on 10/22/04 at 7:59 am

can we or should we post a little note somewhere giving a little summary/synopsis of our contest-entry-parody-topic sometime before thursday 10-28, to make sure no two contestants find themselves using the same idea/topic ?

Written By: little girl on 10/22/04 at 10:28 am

hey, somebody using the costume-name "Hugh Hefner" posted a Costume Parody Challenge entry today:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/menatwork26.shtml

is it okay for people who want to enter the Costume Parody Challenge to post their entry BEFORE Thursday, October 28?

if we post our entry before Thursday October 28 will our entry still be considered a valid and active entry?

or are we required to wait until Thursday October 28 ?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/22/04 at 1:33 pm

can we or should we post a little note somewhere giving a little summary/synopsis of our contest-entry-parody-topic sometime before thursday 10-28, to make sure no two contestants find themselves using the same idea/topic ?

Actually, I think it would be great if we had different people using the same idea.  In fact, we considered having everyone use the same idea but decided against it.  So no, I don't think you should give anything away ahead of time.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/22/04 at 1:51 pm

hey, somebody using the costume-name "Hugh Hefner" posted a Costume Parody Challenge entry today:

is it okay for people who want to enter the Costume Parody Challenge to post their entry BEFORE Thursday, October 28?

if we post our entry before Thursday October 28 will our entry still be considered a valid and active entry?

or are we required to wait until Thursday October 28 ?

The idea is for everyone to post on the same day.  We don't want people jumping the gun to get their idea out there first so no one else can use it, and we don't want people entering again and again so we end up with like a hundred entries.  We also weren't planning on scouring the updates every day all week to make sure we don't miss one so we're gonna have to say no, only entries appearing that day (assuming, again, that there is an update that day) will be judged.  If you're anything like me, you always think of stuff you wish you could change over the next couple days after you submit anyway, so letting it stew for a week is probably a good thing.  Obviously, we can't technically limit everyone to one entry since we won't know who wrote it if you don't take credit for it but just so everybody knows, that's the preference.  Also, since we didn't talk to Chucky about any of this beforehand, I doubt he'd appreciate getting swamped with a ridiculous number of songs on one day so let's be cool and just do one and it should be quite manageable.  We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Written By: False Moustache on 10/23/04 at 6:20 am

1. Who are these 'impartial judges'?

2. Would we parody folk from another time zone be able to submit parodies to you early-on, for you to post them on our behalf, as they may show up a day early or a day late otherwise.

PS. Great idea

Written By: Playboy Bunny on 10/23/04 at 9:30 am

Obviously Hughy-kins was distracted, and didn't take the time to read the rules....

What's that, Sugar Plum?  You want me to do what?  Ooh, Hugh.  Good thing you are rich and famous!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/23/04 at 6:09 pm

1. Who are these 'impartial judges'?

This is classified information.  Very complicated, hush-hush, need-to-know, that sort of thing.  Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

2. Would we parody folk from another time zone be able to submit parodies to you early-on, for you to post them on our behalf, as they may show up a day early or a day late otherwise.

Hmmm...to be honest, we did not realize this was a problem.  Are you saying you don't usually know when your submissions will be posted? 

PS. Great idea

It was all MooRocca's fault

Written By: Han Puppet on 10/26/04 at 10:35 pm

This uh.. friend of mine seems to be from another time zone. Could we just wait till the end of the week and collect them in one thread?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/26/04 at 11:00 pm

This uh.. friend of mine seems to be from another time zone. Could we just wait till the end of the week and collect them in one thread?

To be honest, I'm having difficulty understanding what time zones have to do with anything.  Is it just me, or do other people -- regardless of where they're from -- have no problem figuring out when their submissions are likely to appear on the site?  The preference is to have the entries all appear on the same day but if it really is going to be an issue I'm sure we can work something out.

Written By: Han Puppet on 10/27/04 at 12:35 am

Because Thursday starts in a few hours, that's why. If I submit it now, it may or may not appear on the site on what everyone else sees as "Wednesday" and be disregarded from the competition.  I could submit it halfway through tomorrow (my time), but I'll be guessing which day it will be counted as.

Submissions happen all the time, then at some unknown point they are scooped up and put on the site. I want to know when they are scooped.

Written By: False Moustache on 10/27/04 at 1:46 am

My sentiments exactly. We can't calculate when to post our entries as we don't know if midnight is when they are collected/processed etc. and being eight or ten hours out of sync DOES impact on submission times.

Written By: Mr. Helpful on 10/27/04 at 6:14 am

Because Thursday starts in a few hours, that's why. If I submit it now, it may or may not appear on the site on what everyone else sees as "Wednesday" and be disregarded from the competition.  I could submit it halfway through tomorrow (my time), but I'll be guessing which day it will be counted as.

Submissions happen all the time, then at some unknown point they are scooped up and put on the site. I want to know when they are scooped.

Where I am right now it's about 6 AM Wednesday.  I consider it very likely that sometime in the next 3-4 hours the Wednesday 10/27 update will appear.  It does seem to happen about the same time every day.  Obviously he misses days occasionally.  I'll put a message up as soon as I believe it's safe to submit your entry, which should be about 30 hours from now.  Hope this helps.

Written By: Robert Killjoy-Sick on 10/27/04 at 6:55 am

This is what you get when theres no messageboard to check the rules on.  A bad case of premature submission.  Can I still play, please?

Written By: Han Puppet on 10/27/04 at 7:46 pm

Hey, when the contest is over how about we have an unmasking thread?  :D

Written By: What the... on 10/28/04 at 11:35 am

***Entries should be submitted to AmiRight ONLY on Thursday, Oct. 28

This leads one to believe that submissions be posted on this day and I see that several people have submitted entries in today's postings.  This along with the downage of the messageboard for the entire first part of the week has caused a lot of confusion.  I have since gathered from what I have read on this post today that you are only accepting parodies that post on the 29th?  Due to circumstances of downage and confusion about times, timezones and dates and submission times and post times will you be allowing the posted entries from today into the contest?  If not then I wish you a happy halloween.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/28/04 at 12:08 pm

If it helps, I entered a parody at around 7:45 AM CT today, and it was included in today's entries. I think that maybe people who could not access their computer that early should get 24 hrs leeway.

Written By: MooRocca on 10/28/04 at 12:19 pm

It is now safe to submit for the contest.  Assuming that Chucky doesn't cut off the batch before 7am Eastern US Daylight Time, tomorrow morning, it should be safe to submit until these times in the time zones of these cities:

Honolulu
1:00 am Friday

Anchorage,
3:00 am Friday

Los Angeles, Phoenix, Vancouver,
4 am Friday

Denver, Aklavik, San Salvador, Managua, Tegucigalpa, Edmonton, Guatamala,
5 am Friday

Chicago, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Bogota, Lima, Mexico City, Winnipeg
6 am Friday

NY, Havana, Ottawa, San Juan, Santo Domingo, La Paz, Caracas, Toronto, Montreal, Nassau,
7 am Friday

Sao Paulo, Beunos Aires
8am Friday

Monte Video
9am Friday

Casablanca,
11am Friday

London, Lisbon, Algiers, Dublin, Lagos
12:00 pm Friday

Oslo, Paris, Amman, Amsterdam, Prague, Jerusalem, Johannesburg, Rome, Barcelona, Belgrade,  Berlin, Brussels, Stockholm, Budapest, Cairo, Cape Town, Madrid, Copenhagen, Vienna, Warsaw, Frankfurt, Geneva, Zagreb, Zurich
1:pm Friday

Helsinki, Ankara, Istanbul, Riyadh, Athens, Baghdad, Khartoum, Beirut, Kuwait City, Kyiv, Sofia, Bucharest, Tallinn, Minsk, Nairobi,
2pm Friday

theran,
2:30 pm Friday

Abu Dhabi, Moscow
3pm Friday

Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore, Tashkent,
4pm Friday

New Dehli, Kolkata, Mumbai,
4:30 pm Friday

Kathmandu
4:45 pm Friday

Dhaka,
5pm

Hanoi, Jakarta, Bangkok,
6pm

Perth, Shanghai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, Manila, 
7:00 pm Friday

Tokyo, Seoul,
8:00 pm Friday

Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Canberra,
9:00 pm Friday

Vladivostok,
10:00 pm Friday

Suva,
11:00 pm Friday

Anadyr, Kamchatka, Wellington
12:00 am Saturday

Kiritimati
1 am  Saturday

Written By: What the... on 10/28/04 at 2:15 pm

It is now safe to submit for the contest.  Assuming that Chucky doesn't cut off the batch before 7am Eastern US Daylight Time, tomorrow morning, it should be safe to submit until these times in the time zones of these cities:

I guess then I'll take this as a no to my previous question about submission?  Then have a happy halloween. 

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/28/04 at 5:51 pm

I guess then I'll take this as a no to my previous question about submission?  Then have a happy halloween. 

Deeeeeeep breath, there we go......

MooRocca didn't respond cause she wanted my opinion first.  I was at work all day so now I can answer.  Yes, we'll be accepting all the entries we've received, even the one submitted like a week ago, even the ones that enabled comments.  We thank you all for your patience in dealing with any confusion and look forward to all the other entries we hope we'll see tomorrow.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/29/04 at 9:42 pm

Thanks to everybody who entered.  On purpose or, in some cases, accidentally.  We took 'em all.  It will likely take all weekend for the top secret voting process to magically occur and the winners to be announced (hopefully Sunday but you never know).  Now would be an excellent time, if you haven't yet, to review and appreciate all the entries, and perhaps venture some guesses as to who wrote some of these.  Remember, once the winners are announced everyone will be asked to unmask themselves.  Until then, only guesses are allowed so NO EXPOSING YOURSELVES.

Two Are Eighteen Now by Hugh Hefner
U.K.I.P. Row by Robert Killjoy-Sick
Huge As Can Be Now by Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster
How Can This Be Now? by "Michael Pacholek"
Who Can Compete Now? by Some guy in a Green Lantern costume
I Am E.T. Now by Spelruk Nizuwesook
Spooking The Females (Spooking With Emails) by False Moustache
Who Can I Eat Now? by Hannibal Lecter
Who Cut The Cheese Now?! by Fartissimo
I'm So Clumsy--Ow! by Nope In Aim (Say it fast, people)
Toucan, That Beak, Wow! by Cyrano De Birderac
Toucans Are Free Now! by Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings
Who Cares About The Care Bears by "Tokusou Sentai Blessranger"
Screwed Kennedy Now? by See Yai Yay

Written By: little girl on 10/30/04 at 1:34 am

Thanks to everybody who entered.  On purpose or, in some cases, accidentally.  We took 'em all.  It will likely take all weekend for the top secret voting process to magically occur and the winners to be announced (hopefully Sunday but you never know).  Now would be an excellent time, if you haven't yet, to review and appreciate all the entries, and perhaps venture some guesses as to who wrote some of these.  Remember, once the winners are announced everyone will be asked to unmask themselves.  Until then, only guesses are allowed so NO EXPOSING YOURSELVES.

Two Are Eighteen Now by Hugh Hefner
U.K.I.P. Row by Robert Killjoy-Sick
Huge As Can Be Now by Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster
How Can This Be Now? by "Michael Pacholek"
Who Can Compete Now? by Some guy in a Green Lantern costume
I Am E.T. Now by Spelruk Nizuwesook
Spooking The Females (Spooking With Emails) by False Moustache
Who Can I Eat Now? by Hannibal Lecter
Who Cut The Cheese Now?! by Fartissimo
I'm So Clumsy--Ow! by Nope In Aim (Say it fast, people)
Toucan, That Beak, Wow! by Cyrano De Birderac
Toucans Are Free Now! by Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings
Who Cares About The Care Bears by "Tokusou Sentai Blessranger"
Screwed Kennedy Now? by See Yai Yay

gee maybe i can guess at least a few...
Hannibal Lecter = Spaff.com?
Spelruk Nizuwesook  = ?
Hugh Hefner = Rick Duncan?
Some guy in a Green Lantern costume = Johnny D?
Robert Killjoy-Sick = Phil Alexander?
Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster = ?
False Moustache = Adagio?
See Yai Yay = MarthaDTox?
Cyrano De Birderac = John Barry?
Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings = Agrimorfee?
Fartissimo = Guy DiRito?
Nope In Aim (Say it fast, people) = Arwen?
"Michael Pacholek" = ?
"Tokusou Sentai Blessranger" = Sushi Monster?

Subject: Re: Costume Party Challenge Questions Thread (Entries Closed)

Written By: Wallie on 10/30/04 at 1:48 am

I would assume "Some Guy in a Green Lantern Costume" be Rice and Watt.

Nope in Aim - definitely Arwen!

Subject: Re: Costume Party Challenge Questions Thread (Entries Closed)

Written By: False Moustache on 10/30/04 at 2:52 am

?=guess
!= would be willing to bet a dollar

Hugh Heffner= Rick D!
Robert Killjoy-Sick= Know 1 Can Hear You Dream?
Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster= Merry & Pippin?
Some guy in a Green Lantern Suit= Johnny D!
Spelruk Nizuwesook= MooRocca?
False Moustache= The Invincible?
Hannibal Lecter= Spaff!
Fartissimo= MysteryGoat?
Nope In Aim= Arwen!
Cyrano De Birderac= BLO-TOWN?
Paul A La Cartney and Buffalo Wings= Rice & Watt?
See Yai Yay= Claude Prez?

Check for new replies or respond here...