inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Giving "issue parodies" their own site?

Written By: ISNorden on 11/06/04 at 7:04 pm

Jared and I would like to see how other members feel about giving "issue parodies" a third site alongside AmIRight and WhatFreaks.  You know the type:  musical sermons with little or no humor, whose main purpose is promoting some political or religious viewpoint.  Yes, both of us have written issue parodies before--and yes, some other regulars on the site specialize in them.  But when that kind of song starts dominating the site...when it inspires parody wars and attack voting just because someone disagrees with the message...I think that issue-parody fans deserve a site of their own.  Would Chuck be willing/able to host a third site, and would other readers be interested in this addition?

Subject: Re: Giving "issue parodies" their own site?

Written By: Arwen on 11/06/04 at 8:18 pm

As I've done before...I have to just say that I think it's a little presumptuous to ask Chucky to do more for us than he already does...

Written By: ISNorden on 11/06/04 at 8:28 pm

It was just a suggestion, not an outright demand...if he thinks it's a good idea himself (not sure yet), there's no harm in asking.  No hard feelings?

Written By: EmiLoca on 11/06/04 at 8:34 pm

I think that if people would just keep an open mind and a shut mouth, we wouldn't have such a problem with this.

My theory is this: when there are parodies that are serious and promote a message that I don't agree with, I do exactly what seems logical to me - laugh at their message, deem it hilarious that they could possibly THINK of such a thing and give it a five for humor.  

Of course, if you're open-minded enough (which I'm not), you could flip to their view of the issue and realize their side of the humor-ocity.  And vote fairly.

*shrug*  I just don't think that a separate site would make too much of a difference.  It just creates a space for (and therefore encourages) that kind of "slander" and "admittance of treason" and "blasphemous remarks"... ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/07/04 at 5:02 am

Is it possible to agree with everybody so far?  I do think it's an interesting idea.  I also think it's a lot to ask.  I also think people should keep an open mind and a shut mouth.  I'll add that if you write a parody that's likely to rile anybody (and a parody about, say, oatmeal will rile somebody), you should be prepared for what comes.  Tong solved his problem by not allowing comments; I think it's great he has that option and spares us that much more partisan bickering.  But you shouldn't submit a parody attacking someone else's values and not expect them to get defensive about it.  Now, on to the real issue:  should we have a separate site for songs about poopy?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/07/04 at 2:42 pm

Perhaps you and Jared should start your own website...

Written By: philbo on 11/07/04 at 4:41 pm

It's been a bit OTT recently with the election and all, but that's only to be expected given how incredibly polar the whole debate has been.  But I'll bet that it's going to tail off now that the election's over.  Having said that, I've just sent in another "issue" parody of sorts ("If there only was a God", to "If I only had a brain"), with (hopefully) my usual mix of humour and diatribe - it'd be difficult to choose where to submit that sort of stuff if there were a separate site.

I'm against the idea, personally...

Written By: ISNorden on 11/07/04 at 5:45 pm

Please don't be too upset with us--the idea was only an idea, not a demand...and several of you gave valid reasons against splitting off a third site.  Let's hope Phil was right about the political parody wars cooling off after the election, though.

Written By: MooRocca on 11/07/04 at 10:45 pm

I'm against the idea, personally...

Echo Phil. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/07/04 at 11:40 pm

Echo Phil. 

Ditto MooRocca and Phil.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/08/04 at 2:56 am

Seconding Johnny D's ditto of MooRocca's echoing Phil.

Written By: philbo on 11/08/04 at 6:25 am

Please don't be too upset with us--the idea was only an idea, not a demand...and several of you gave valid reasons against splitting off a third site. Let's hope Phil was right about the political parody wars cooling off after the election, though.

I hope so, too... no, Ingeborg, we're not upset with you: things will never change for the better if people don't come up with the ideas in the first place.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/08/04 at 8:19 am

It's really a non-issue, but I still concur that there should be an opening up of Topics that certain parodies could be listed under (which Chucky G has been workiing on)

Written By: Angry Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 10:45 am

Jared and I would like to see how other members feel about giving "issue parodies" a third site alongside AmIRight and WhatFreaks.  You know the type:  musical sermons with little or no humor, whose main purpose is promoting some political or religious viewpoint.  Yes, both of us have written issue parodies before--and yes, some other regulars on the site specialize in them.  But when that kind of song starts dominating the site...when it inspires parody wars and attack voting just because someone disagrees with the message...I think that issue-parody fans deserve a site of their own.  Would Chuck be willing/able to host a third site, and would other readers be interested in this addition?

It is easy to tell that you don't really know what goes into these sites, Ingeborg.  It is not as easy as one two three to just set up another website, and I think it is very demanding, even if you didn't mean it to be that way, to even suggest it.  You don't see anyone setting up a forum called, "How would you feel about increasing Ingeborg's workload, just because it would make my life a little more easy?"

I'm sure that there are people who don't want to read about your Norse religion, but they don't ask Chucky to make a new site where only Norse religion parodies can be posted.  I, for one, just skip over those and any other parodies that I don't think will be funny or interesting to me.  And if that means that the majority of the parodies on a given day don't get read by me, then that is the way it goes.

Half of the fun of the site is sharing ideas.  Nobody said that you have to agree with everything anyone says, and you don't have to like every parody on the site.  And if you did, that would be pretty boring.

Written By: ISNorden on 11/08/04 at 11:21 am

Well--on one hand, I have set up sites of my own; on the other, they didn't include all the features that AIR has.  So you're at least partly right there.  You also have a right not to like certain topics and to skip over anything someone writes about them; I've done the same out of politeness, on many occasions.  Again, point conceded....  (In all fairness though, I have written and do write parodies unrelated to my faith, or to anything Nordic at all for that matter.  Please don't think my mind is that one-tracked!)  I do apologize for coming across the wrong way in my original post and hope I'm allowed to back down gracefully here.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/08/04 at 11:51 am

It's really a non-issue, but I still concur that there should be an opening up of Topics that certain parodies could be listed under (which Chucky G has been workiing on)

http://amiright.com/parody/categories/

The "Report" function isn't coded yet for improperly listed parodies (the Christmas category has a lot of misplaced stuff I was using to test with), but you can see everything else working. 

As for a seperate site, yes, too much work right now.  Even getting whatfreaks to have a similar setup with almost identical software was a bit time consuming.  The problem comes down to writing my own software for this stuff instead of making someone else's software fit the job.  Had I used a content mangement system for all this stuff, and wrote the customized portions in whatever scripting langauge it used, it would be easier to spin off sites I suppose.

Even if I had the free time, I'd hesitate to spin off a site for a particular topic, since the traffic on that site would be far less than amiright currently sees, so authors would have less people viewing their work, and would be less likely to submit.  I could create a political parody site that focused on not just political parodies, but all other manner of things political and humorous.  I have been thinking about it, especially with the amount of attention being paid to politics now.  I'm not ready to write off the idea entirely, but I'm not eager to tackle the other problems that arise with political themed sites (check the 2000s politics messageboard here to see what that tends to encourage).  I'd also want something that skewers both sides of the spectrum (not sure any of the sites currently do that?).  I haven't researched it very far, and with the huge number of political sites on the web, I'm not sure there's any value in creating another one.

Even if I did undertake another site for the political stuff, I'd probably still allow cross-posting between the sites. So I guess it's a moot point.

Written By: ISNorden on 11/08/04 at 11:58 am

http://amiright.com/parody/categories/

The "Report" function isn't coded yet for improperly listed parodies (the Christmas category has a lot of misplaced stuff I was using to test with), but you can see everything else working. 

As for a seperate site, yes, too much work right now.  Even getting whatfreaks to have a similar setup with almost identical software was a bit time consuming.  The problem comes down to writing my own software for this stuff instead of making someone else's software fit the job.  Had I used a content mangement system for all this stuff, and wrote the customized portions in whatever scripting langauge it used, it would be easier to spin off sites I suppose.

Even if I had the free time, I'd hesitate to spin off a site for a particular topic, since the traffic on that site would be far less than amiright currently sees, so authors would have less people viewing their work, and would be less likely to submit.  I could create a political parody site that focused on not just political parodies, but all other manner of things political and humorous.  I have been thinking about it, especially with the amount of attention being paid to politics now.  I'm not ready to write off the idea entirely, but I'm not eager to tackle the other problems that arise with political themed sites (check the 2000s politics messageboard here to see what that tends to encourage).  I'd also want something that skewers both sides of the spectrum (not sure any of the sites currently do that?).  I haven't researched it very far, and with the huge number of political sites on the web, I'm not sure there's any value in creating another one.

Even if I did undertake another site for the political stuff, I'd probably still allow cross-posting between the sites. So I guess it's a moot point.

Thank you for clarifying the problems I wasn't 100% sure about:  as I had said to Angry AmIRighter, the web sites I currently run don't support all the features you have to deal with, so you'd know more about the technical issues than most of us.  Thank you, too, for staying level-headed while you considered my idea and explained your reasons against it.  Here's hoping you get the "Categories" feature fixed as soon as you are able to, though; it'll save the just-skip-it crowd a lot of trouble. 

Written By: Angry Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 12:08 pm

Here's hoping you get the "Categories" feature fixed as soon as you are able to, though; it'll save the just-skip-it crowd a lot of trouble. 

A LOT of trouble?  Are you kidding me? 

I can't imagine that it's really THAT much of an inconvenience.

Written By: Happy Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 1:03 pm

A LOT of trouble?  Are you kidding me? 

I can't imagine that it's really THAT much of an inconvenience.

Hi, Angry Amirighter!  I'm the Happy Amirighter!  We'll be seeing a lot of each other...I'll be your best daystallion!

;D

Written By: Angry Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 4:04 pm

Hi, Angry Amirighter!  I'm the Happy Amirighter!  We'll be seeing a lot of each other...I'll be your best daystallion!

;D

I don't even know what a daystallion is. 

Written By: ISNorden on 11/08/04 at 4:18 pm

It's a joke--worst nightmare, best daystallion?  Took me a while to figure that pun out too.

Written By: Happy Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 4:19 pm

Don't worry, Angry!  Everybody is happy to help you :) !! Hey, Amiright friends and happy people!!  Can you help our friend Angry here with a quick explanation of the meaning of "Your best daystallion" ?  

;D

Written By: Happy Amirighter on 11/08/04 at 4:21 pm

It's a joke--worst nightmare, best daystallion?  Took me a while to figure that pun out too.

YAY !!!  :)  :)  :)  That is correct! Thank you, Ingeborg S. Nordén!  Have a happy day!  ;D

Written By: Scathe on 11/09/04 at 11:18 pm

Hello,

I am Scathe,  I'm new to AmIRight.com and to this message board.
I would like to start by saying that I've been visiting AmIRight for some time now and have freely enjoyed the parodies on this site.  Even though I don't recognize many of the songs I always look for a new or old gem on the site.  I recently started submitting to the site and one of my chief concerns is offending readers.  It is this concern that pulled me to this post. I understand that the nature and construction of the AmIRight site has given way for a sea of garbage parodies.  However, I ask anyone reading this post to consider this:
I won't write anything if I think is offensive, but I'm probably not the only one who thinks this way.
If someone is afraid of attacks on their song or offending others if they submit it to AmIRight they might not submit it at all. It might be side-splitting to some, vomit-inducing to others, or just bland to the rest; if they don't submit it we'll never know. Even a new site specifically might still intimidate them; "What if I offend someone here?" they'll think.  We can't screen for humor because one man's trash might be another's treasure. You don't have to respond to me, just think about what I've said.  Remember, it's all about the laughs. :)

Written By: philbo on 11/10/04 at 3:47 am

Hi Scathe, and welcome :)

I recently started submitting to the site and one of my chief concerns is offending readers.

I know what you mean: it can be so hard to offend people sometimes.  You think you've been oh, so insulting.. and they don't even act one bit offended.  I guess it just makes you have to try harder next time ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 11/10/04 at 5:00 am

Is it possible to agree with everybody so far?  I do think it's an interesting idea.  I also think it's a lot to ask.  I also think people should keep an open mind and a shut mouth.  I'll add that if you write a parody that's likely to rile anybody (and a parody about, say, oatmeal will rile somebody), you should be prepared for what comes.  Tong solved his problem by not allowing comments; I think it's great he has that option and spares us that much more partisan bickering.  But you shouldn't submit a parody attacking someone else's values and not expect them to get defensive about it.  Now, on to the real issue:  should we have a separate site for songs about poopy?

Jeez,  the problem with "Separate but Equal" sites is that they AREN'T.  The sites that aren't the regular site will be "poor relatives" and not get as much traffic.  "Whatfreaks" is a prime example of that, although I will admit it is partially because one must often hold ones nose and watch where you put your toes when treading over there.  But I think the same thing would happen, probably to a somewhat lesser degree, to a 3rd site set aside for "issue" parodies.  So, to boil down my sentiments,  No, I don't think it's a good idea.  Political/controversial pieces stir things up a bit,  yes...they do...Is that really all that bad a thing? 

P.S. - I wrote this before I saw ChuckyG's note here, which incorporates many of the same thoughts, but I thought I would post it as written instead of changing anything (except for adding this "P.S" part, of course)...

P. Robinson

Written By: philbo on 11/10/04 at 7:09 am

Now, on to the real issue:  should we have a separate site for songs about poopy?

Not exactly - I think there should be one which is guaranteed poopy-free www.aoid.com ;)

Written By: philbo on 11/10/04 at 11:49 am

no sheesh?

Written By: ISNorden on 11/10/04 at 11:58 am

In all fairness, I usually skip/refuse to vote on the bathroom-humor or sex songs; attack-voting or posting snarky comments because I didn't like the topic would be unfair and mean-spirited.  The same goes for other themes and messages I disagree with; too many complaints would ruin the site for most people.  I thought that since so many political parodies were attracting those low votes and bad comments, a separate site might be best--it turns out I was wrong about that though, and I apologize to everyone I upset with my proposal.

Written By: PRobinson on 11/10/04 at 5:29 pm

In all fairness, I usually skip/refuse to vote on the bathroom-humor or sex songs; attack-voting or posting snarky comments because I didn't like the topic would be unfair and mean-spirited.  The same goes for other themes and messages I disagree with; too many complaints would ruin the site for most people.  I thought that since so many political parodies were attracting those low votes and bad comments, a separate site might be best--it turns out I was wrong about that though, and I apologize to everyone I upset with my proposal.

No reason to apologize, Ingeborg.  It was a legitimate question and you wanted to know what folks thought.  Personally, I just don't think it's a good idea to try and create too many subdivisions within this site.  I see stuff on topics I didn't think I would be interested in that surprise me quite often.  And I like going down the list of entries and seeing what OS are being used - that sometimes draws me into new subject areas as well.

Paul R.

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/11/04 at 9:35 am

I disagree.  Angrily.

Written By: ISNorden on 11/11/04 at 10:11 am

I disagree.  Angrily.

I've apologized and backed down from my original position; could we please let bygones be bygones, since I didn't intend to anger anyone?

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/11/04 at 11:03 am

Just mocking self-righteous anger.  Because it makes me so angry.

Written By: Jared on 11/11/04 at 11:10 am

Ahh. nice to see that there's no reral angry disagreement...I was ready to come over here and mete out a piece of my mind when Inga told me about the fact that some people were still on her case after she decided to back down.

I apologize as well for being part fo this, as I now see the necessity of not censoring the site.  We were just sick of unfunny agenda songs, not agenda songs in general.

We both apoloigize, and this has been a learning experience for us both

Written By: Arwen on 11/11/04 at 11:17 am

Well, I'm ALL for creating a separate site for unfunny parodies.  As long as I get to be the judge of what's funny and what's not.  ;) 

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/11/04 at 12:04 pm

Well, I'm ALL for creating a separate site for unfunny parodies.  As long as I get to be the judge of what's funny and what's not.   ;) 

But would that include unfunny issue parodies?  Or would they be separate?

Written By: Arwen on 11/11/04 at 12:08 pm

But would that include unfunny issue parodies?  Or would they be separate?

No...the unfunny issue parodies should stay here...I thought I told you I'm against separation of the parodies.  Sheesh, Elf Boy!

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/11/04 at 3:46 pm

No...the unfunny issue parodies should stay here...I thought I told you I'm against separation of the parodies.  Sheesh, Elf Boy!

But don't you think church parodies and state parodies should be kept separate?  (Except for Bush parodies -- in those, you'd have both in one...)

Subject: Re: The Only Thread That Matters

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 11/11/04 at 10:23 pm

I know what you mean: it can be so hard to offend people sometimes.  You think you've been oh, so insulting.. and they don't even act one bit offended.  I guess it just makes you have to try harder next time ;)

LOL Phil - yes, sometimes people on this site are just TOO easy-going

I thought that since so many political parodies were attracting those low votes and bad comments, a separate site might be best--it turns out I was wrong about that though, and I apologize to everyone I upset with my proposal.

oh sure, NOW you apologise - and do you think my therapist will accept it was all a misunderstanding and give me a refund? - no way Jose

(the psychological devastation you've wreaked is irreversible Ingebord - sorry)
(and include yourself in that observation, Jared >:()

Just mocking self-righteous anger.  Because it makes me so angry.

what really infuriates ME is people who get angry at people who mock self-righteous anger - ENOUGH already - life's too short... :(

But don't you think church parodies and state parodies should be kept separate?  (Except for Bush parodies -- in those, you'd have both in one...)

it's a non-issue, Leo (I mean Mistress) because, as you know, church and state parodies HAVE to stay separate by law - it's in the Constitution

- and blue and green parodies should never be seen (without another parody in between)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/11/04 at 11:48 pm

Or you live in the state of Utah.  The separation of church and state was voted down here in the last election.

Written By: Goof on 08/12/06 at 6:51 pm

Quote from: philbo on November 10, 2004, 07:09:18 AM

Not exactly - I think there should be one which is guaranteed poopy-free www.aoid.com

Actually, Philbo, I believe THIS is aoid's website....

www.aoid.com

You're both wrong.

First off, "aoid.com" is not a valid URL or domain name. That site doesn't exist.

Second of all, the site that Johnny_D linked to (poopreport.com...in an attempt to disguise it with a fake URL; nice try) is for stuff that Aoid does NOT like...so how could you say it's his web site?

Written By: Mr. Critic on 08/14/06 at 2:01 pm

You're both wrong.

First off, "aoid.com" is not a valid URL or domain name. That site doesn't exist.

Second of all, the site that Johnny_D linked to (poopreport.com...in an attempt to disguise it with a fake URL; nice try) is for stuff that Aoid does NOT like...so how could you say it's his web site?

As a matter of fact...I was just thinking that! I didn't know about this thread, so I didn't get to see it earlier. But you're right, if a person doesn't like a certain topic, how can you say that a site with that topic is that person's favorite site?

By the way, Johnny D's reply with the giant link labeled "aoid.com" appears to be gone. What happened to it? Did an admin take it down because it was too inappropraite?

Written By: Goof on 08/16/06 at 1:26 pm

As a matter of fact...I was just thinking that! I didn't know about this thread, so I didn't get to see it earlier. But you're right, if a person doesn't like a certain topic, how can you say that a site with that topic is that person's favorite site?

By the way, Johnny D's reply with the giant link labeled "aoid.com" appears to be gone. What happened to it? Did an admin take it down because it was too inappropraite?

Well, you must've known about this thread somehow if you knew that Johnny D had posted the giant "aoid.com" link. It was taken down before you replied, so you had to know something about this thread. As for your question about the "aoid.com" message being taken down, you may have to ask Chuck about it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/16/06 at 2:16 pm

Well, you must've known about this thread somehow if you knew that Johnny D had posted the giant "aoid.com" link. It was taken down before you replied, so you had to know something about this thread. As for your question about the "aoid.com" message being taken down, you may have to ask Chuck about it.

I have no idea to be honest, this thread is WICKED OLD crap, from almost two years ago.  no idea what it's even talking about

Written By: Mr. Guest on 08/16/06 at 3:49 pm

Well in that case, chuck.... why not take down this WHOLE thread?

Before you do, however, I think I can explain what's going on. For this thread, people were talking about giving separete sites to parodies that dealt with certain topics, like political humour, toilet humour, etc. I have no views on the matter...but I think these two guests who brought back this thread happened to see a message from someone that suggested a possible site for ANTI-toilet humor, and when the first guest clicked on it, he happened to find out that there was no such site as "aoid.com"...and so he had to make a fuss about it.

Check for new replies or respond here...