inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Barry will post 23 new parodies on Friday, November 19, 2004

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/18/04 at 3:14 pm

I think this will probably be a new all-time Amiright record for the most parodies (23) posted by a single author on a single day.   Can anyone prove otherwise?

If John succeeds at this endeavor, I shall award him a special GOLD MEDAL JPG on this Messageboard!

For more information on this historic event,
please read the comments on John's parody "Have Ablutions":

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles262.shtml

Subject: Re: John Barry will post 23 new parodies on Friday, November 19, 2004

Written By: Billy Florio on 11/18/04 at 5:17 pm

hasnt Rick Duncan posted like 50 a day before?  I think when he was reposting all his Beatles parodies

Written By: Rick D on 11/18/04 at 5:42 pm

In my foolish newbie days, I was posting 10-20 a day out of my archives, but I missed out on all the lively banter. Then it was, now what do I do?  Fortunatly, I found ways of stealing from my own songs to keep the train rolling.

Written By: Gonfunko on 11/18/04 at 6:05 pm

I could probably add about 50 or so, but the vast majority are so-so. I only submit my better ones, so, even though I have about 25-30 submitted, there are still plently left out of my approximately 75 total.

Written By: Scathe on 11/19/04 at 12:51 am

20, 23, 50!!!! :o
Wow, that's amazing.  How do you all do it?!

Written By: philbo on 11/19/04 at 8:41 am

With difficulty ;)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/19/04 at 9:02 am

I think this will probably be a new all-time Amiright record for the most parodies (23) posted by a single author on a single day.  Can anyone prove otherwise?

If John succeeds at this endeavor, I shall award him a special GOLD MEDAL JPG on this Messageboard!

For more information on this historic event,
please read the comments on John's parody "Have Ablutions":

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles262.shtml

I've had a couple of a first time posters to amiright, who clearly had been writing on their own for years before finding the site submit a ton all at once before.  I don't think they got more notice than anyone before them had either.  I'm working through the submission queue at the moment, should be up in an hour or so (still gotta do other stuff while I do that in the background ya know).

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/19/04 at 11:10 am

I've had a couple of a first time posters to amiright, who clearly had been writing on their own for years before finding the site submit a ton all at once before.  I don't think they got more notice than anyone before them had either.  I'm working through the submission queue at the moment, should be up in an hour or so (still gotta do other stuff while I do that in the background ya know).

Hmm......were those first timers you mentioned submitting a ton of parodies from their pre-existing parody collections, just basically cutting-and-pasting them from their own old, pre-existing parody libraries into your submission screen and posting them en-masse? 

I think John Barry's feat is uniquely remarkable because he wrote all of today's parodies overnight last night - - - every one is an original created within the last 24 hours - - - was that true for any of those other bulk-submitters?

Written By: karen on 11/19/04 at 11:33 am

My reading of Chucky's comment was that new people sometimes post their 'back catalogues' here soon after finding the site.

I reckon that this must be the most new parodies submitted in one go.

Written By: philbo on 11/19/04 at 12:24 pm

Ah... I should have got here earlier, methinks, but...

On 15th September 2003, Malcolm submitted 26 parodies - this was when he was doing his major "catch up with Will" push.  In that month, he submitted a total of 179 parodies, with 23 on 22/sep too.

Just spotted... and 26 on 4th August

PS Thanks for putting the date of submission on the authors' page, Chucky ;)

A dozen or so days with 18 or 19 submissions - he was a busy boy, was our Malcolm.

Phil

Written By: philbo on 11/19/04 at 12:40 pm

PPS Rick did 25 on 19th October 03, 24 on 20th Oct 03 and 22 on 27th Oct 03

PPPS..most I've submitted in one day is four :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/19/04 at 3:26 pm

On 15th September 2003, Malcolm submitted 26 parodies - this was when he was doing his major "catch up with Will" push.  In that month, he submitted a total of 179 parodies, with 23 on 22/sep too.

A dozen or so days with 18 or 19 submissions - he was a busy boy, was our Malcolm.

Phil

oh yeah, I forgot about Malcolm's huge posting push at one point.  He was also writing for whatfreaks at the same time too I think.

Quality always wins out over quantity in my opinion.  I don't read all the parodies submitted closely (if I did, they'd never get processed in a timely fashion), but I'm willing to bet that in some of these mad parody writing rushes, stuff gets posted that would either not get posted normally, or would be further refined before posting. 

It can be interesting to see "raw versions" of creative work, especially since the opposite "overworking" can produce work that is only marginally better or even worse.  If I were writing parodies, and I spent a lot of time re-working them, I think I would post a batch that were just off the cuff, to see if the re-working time was worth the effort (ie. could someone tell the difference).  Sylvia Plath is a good example of what I mean.  While I don't care for poetry, I did have to study her work in high school.  Her early work was very meticulous and well researched, etc. but the stuff near the end of her life was rushed and less perfect, and yet is probably better known.

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/19/04 at 3:41 pm

Phil

Wow!  Fantastic accomplishment by Malcolm!  But.....did Malcolm write all 26 (on either or both of those 26-posting-occasions) within less than a single contiguous 24 hour period as John Barry just did? 

John started his project yesterday afternoon and finished up before Chucky froze the submissions for today's posting....so that's less than 24 hours.....I wonder if Malcolm cranked an entire block of 26 out in a single continguous less-than-24-hour period, or did he accumulate them over a few days and then dump them on all at once?

This is all just idle speculation on my part, I'm just curious.... 

I agree with Chucky - - - quality can sometimes take a back seat when quantity is the goal. 

But I think the quality of John Barry's submissions today is remarkably high, considering that they are all completely original works conceived and written in a contiguous time-period less than 24 hours in length, perhaps 16 to 18 hours at most.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/19/04 at 4:48 pm

Wow!  Fantastic accomplishment by Malcolm!  But.....did Malcolm write all 26 (on either or both of those 26-posting-occasions) within less than a single contiguous 24 hour period as John Barry just did? 

I remember some of the posting blocks, and I believe he just did them as they came to him, but only Malcolm can answer that positively.  Malcolm was in a big rush to hit 1000 before William Tong, so he was writing them at a very fast rate.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/19/04 at 9:14 pm

Ooh, I love these "quality vs. quantity" discussions.  The whole "Room Full Of Monkeys" thing started as a tongue-in-cheek statement about it.  The idea was to put up "a lot" of parodies quickly (I did about two or three a day for a couple weeks, to get to 25) to demonstrate that even a room full of monkeys could be in the "Top Submittors Club".  It started like that but the extra output did seem to stimulate my creativity-- as I did some of my best stuff soon after-- and I don't look down on quantity nearly as much as I used to.  Still, I'm a big believer in submitting sparingly to create the bogus illusion of higher quality (don't tell anyone).

Written By: Rick D on 11/20/04 at 1:13 am

I'm with Johnny on this. I can't imagine myself cranking out 24 in a 8 hour period, as John seems to have done. I haven't read all of Malcolms', but Mr. Barry certainly didn't shortcut himself.

Written By: PRobinson on 11/20/04 at 2:13 am

I'm with Johnny on this. I can't imagine myself cranking out 24 in a 8 hour period, as John seems to have done. I haven't read all of Malcolms', but Mr. Barry certainly didn't shortcut himself.

Hmmm...I've been sick with the stomach flu and haven't been around in a few days (no energy to even deal with logging onto the InterNet).  JB wrote and posted 23 in one day!  Well, I'm amazed and flabbergasted.  I think I've written 4, or maybe 5 in one day, max...and that felt like a huge accomplishment.  At 3 or so I tend to believe I deserve a "well-earned rest" and henceforth will plop my aging butt down on the nearest soft sofa or couch to commence with it...Christ!  23!!  It might take me more than a day just to read and appreciate them all!

Paul R.

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/20/04 at 10:24 am

GOLD MEDAL - MOST PARODIES EVER CREATED AND POSTED WITHIN A SINGLE 24-HOUR PERIOD

On November 19, 2004, John A. Barry posted 24 new song parodies on Amiright - that's 1 "Intro" parody and 23 additional parodies - which John created within the 24 hours since the November 18, 2004 Amiright posting.

Congratulations, John!

Check for new replies or respond here...