inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody comment spam needs to end.

Written By: Guest on 11/19/04 at 6:00 pm

Chucky:

We've had problems in the past with spam in comments, like arguing and fighting, etc. There seems to be a feud going on in one of the comment threads, arguing over some crazy little thing. Here's the parody:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/faithhill16.shtml
The last 7 or 8 comments seem to be very immature. Is it possible to delete them?

Subject: Re: Parody comment spam needs to end.

Written By: AmericaForABetterBush on 11/19/04 at 6:16 pm

Whoever "aoid" is, he/she can dish it out but can't take it. When he/she gets ridiculed for being ridiculous, he/she gets upset and threatens to have Chucky delete the thread. Boo-hoo. Leave the comments. They're not "spam," and they're actually pretty funny (to everyone but aoid).

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/19/04 at 9:17 pm

Whoever "aoid" is, he/she can dish it out but can't take it. When he/she gets ridiculed for being ridiculous, he/she gets upset and threatens to have Chucky delete the thread. Boo-hoo. Leave the comments. They're not "spam," and they're actually pretty funny (to everyone but aoid).

Just what I was gonna say.  Very entertaining stuff.  And I'd argue that "Aoid" enjoys the attention as well, or he/she/it would have shut the h*&% up by now.  So everybody's happy.

Written By: PRobinson on 11/20/04 at 2:20 am

Just what I was gonna say.  Very entertaining stuff.  And I'd argue that "Aoid" enjoys the attention as well, or he/she/it would have shut the h*&% up by now.  So everybody's happy.

Agree with Claude, but must add that I find the comments in that thread to be "Piss-terical"...

pr

PS - Aoid has stated in some rather pointed comments to me in the past that gender is of the "male" persuasion, so I will assume that is true...as if it at all matters, really...

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/20/04 at 6:04 am

PS - Aoid has stated in some rather pointed comments to me in the past that gender is of the "male" persuasion, so I will assume that is true...as if it at all matters, really...

Whatever.  If "aoid" wants anyone to remember his gender, he should pick a gender-specific fake name like the rest of us.  Or stop b**ching like a little girl.  See, this is fun, isn't it?

Written By: bulging_clitoris_of_aoid on 11/20/04 at 6:27 am

Whatever.  If "aoid" wants anyone to remember his gender, he should pick a gender-specific fake name like the rest of us.  Or stop b**ching like a little girl.  See, this is fun, isn't it?

Waaaah !! 

Stop making fun of me !! 

This is turning into a battle of wits, and I'm just an un-armed little girl ...

WAAAAH !!

Written By: Scathe on 11/22/04 at 1:06 am

Quick, somebody guess my gender.  You've got a 50-50 chance of being right. ;D :D

Written By: philbo on 11/22/04 at 4:47 am

Do we get three guesses?

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/22/04 at 11:04 am

Chucky:

We've had problems in the past with spam in comments, like arguing and fighting, etc. There seems to be a feud going on in one of the comment threads, arguing over some crazy little thing. Here's the parody:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/faithhill16.shtml
The last 7 or 8 comments seem to be very immature. Is it possible to delete them?

Um, use the report this comment link.  Duh.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/22/04 at 11:20 am

LOL Claude!!!

I too, was highly entertained by the comments.  And it's so refreshing to have a fight go on that doesn't involve Arwen or myself...

And people mistake me for a male all the time with my fake name.  Big freakin' deal...

Written By: Arwen on 11/22/04 at 11:55 am

LOL Claude!!!

I too, was highly entertained by the comments.  And it's so refreshing to have a fight go on that doesn't involve Arwen or myself...

And people mistake me for a male all the time with my fake name.  Big freakin' deal...

I'd also like to applaud Ash and myself for NOT being involved in this.  We were busy pissing someone else off at the time, I'm sure...but...you know.  It's a moral victory.

Secondly...Ash...I would think that most people woudl mistake you for a man because of your avatar.

Written By: Leo Jay on 11/22/04 at 12:14 pm

Secondly...Ash...I would think that most people woudl mistake you for a man because of your avatar.

And of course, they'd be similarly mistaken about you.  Biotch. 

And stop hijacking this thread, dammit -- it's meant to voice concern over spamming, you bastard.

Written By: Arwen on 11/22/04 at 12:44 pm

And of course, they'd be similarly mistaken about you.  Biotch. 

And stop hijacking this thread, dammit -- it's meant to voice concern over spamming, you bastard.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,2706.3060.html
Post number 3073, bastard.

Written By: Guest on 12/01/04 at 3:23 pm

Seems like the spammers are at it again. Why do they keep obsessing about someone's gender, like elementary school kids often do? In some places, they've needlessly mentioned it when this "Aoid" person didn't even make a comment. I've had to report maybe half a dozen comments as inappropriate, on maybe two or three different parodies. Chucky, what is the deal?

Written By: AmericaForABetterBush on 12/01/04 at 3:40 pm

Seems like the spammers are at it again. Why do they keep obsessing about someone's gender, like elementary school kids often do? In some places, they've needlessly mentioned it when this "Aoid" person didn't even make a comment. I've had to report maybe half a dozen comments as inappropriate, on maybe two or three different parodies. Chucky, what is the deal?

Three questions:
(1) Why do you insist on referring to these comments as spam?
(2) How could Chucky possibly know why people comment the way they do?
(3) Who are you and why do you care so much anyway?

Written By: EmiLoca on 12/02/04 at 11:21 am

Here's the deal -  how is anyone supposed to know his/her gender, anyway?  Of course there's going to be debate.  It's not immature to wonder.  Heck, people have referred to me as "Emil".  For all you know, I could be a guy. Or an elementary school kid.  Or ChuckyG in the host body of a teenage schoolgirl. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/02/04 at 12:39 pm

Or ChuckyG in the host body of a teenage schoolgirl. 

I KNEW it!

Subject: Re: The Only Thread That Matters

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/02/04 at 9:18 pm

I confess - I was "Aoid's mum in the waiting room" - so that makes me a spammer

sorry :-[

but gee it's good fun

I bet Emil's guilty too
(he just sounds guilty)

Written By: Leo Jay on 12/07/04 at 1:26 pm

The deal, "Guest", is that people will say anything when they can do so with anonymity.

Written By: neminem on 12/07/04 at 5:27 pm

The deal, "Guest", is that people will say anything when they can do so with anonymity.

That being, of course, Penny Arcade's Greater Internet fudgewad Theory :).

Written By: Guest on 12/08/04 at 1:41 pm

They're at it again. I see lots of very disgusting and gross comments, and in the past hour or so, I've had to use the "report inappropriate comment" link on maybe five or six of them, explaining that they're gross. As Paul Carrack says in the Squeeze song "Tempted": "I wish...that it would stop!"

Written By: another guest on 12/08/04 at 4:41 pm

I wonder what Chucky G has to say about this. It is getting way out of hand. :-\\

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/08/04 at 4:44 pm

I agree with Guest and Another Guest - a good joke's a quick joke - the whole thing's now irritating

(and what's the story with people calling themselves "Guest" - why not declare yourself? - I admit I went anonymous once, but that was just to milk the gag, then I declared myself (above) because I don't like the idea - anonymity out of fear is lame) 

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/08/04 at 4:48 pm

I delete the crap as it's spotted.  I don't care for it, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Written By: Guest #1 on 12/08/04 at 5:07 pm

I agree with Guest and Another Guest - a good joke's a quick joke - the whole thing's now irritating

(and what's the story with people calling themselves "Guest" - why not declare yourself? - I admit I went anonymous once, but that was just to milk the gag, then I declared myself (above) because I don't like the idea - anonymity out of fear is lame) 

Okay...my name's Fred. But I couldn't use that as my name, since it's a "reserved" (?) name. (I guess there's a registered member with that name.) Nice to meet you, Stu.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/08/04 at 7:22 pm

Okay...my name's Fred. But I couldn't use that as my name, since it's a "reserved" (?) name. (I guess there's a registered member with that name.) Nice to meet you, Stu.

FRED!!!

I finally get to meet you!

I've been reading all about you.....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/chrisdeburgh4.shtml

(just gagging - don't take it personally ;))

Written By: Arwen on 12/08/04 at 7:27 pm

FRED!!!

I finally get to meet you!

I've been reading all about you.....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/chrisdeburgh4.shtml

(just gagging - don't take it personally ;))

LOL!!!!!!

You are a HORRIBLE person, Stu!!!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/08/04 at 7:47 pm

LOL!!!!!!

You are a HORRIBLE person, Stu!!!

Oh, yes that's right - it was me that wrote all that stuff about Fred, was it? :)

psst Arwen, I don't think Fred's his real name, and these anonymous types tend to be a little delicate,
so I'm acknowledging it was just a light-hearted gag and moving on....

Written By: Leo Jay on 12/09/04 at 10:43 am

What -- is that the same Fred who's been leaving all the inappropriate comments?  Or is that another one?  I'm confused....

Written By: Me on 11/29/05 at 5:14 pm

If you're looking for some real parody comment spam, it seems that our friend K.Y.L.E is infiltrating all of DAK's parodies with inane comments, saying "You're not really DAK!" and he's also spamming them with triple one votes.

Written By: A. Person on 12/26/05 at 5:15 pm

CG- it appears that some Yahoo spammer has been posting comments lately; I've looked at the "Latest Comments" page and have seen lots of comments from someone with an "@yahoo.com" alias (with garble before the "at" symbol); I don't know why he/she/it/banjo is doing that, but it is rather...what's the word I'm looking for here...annoying.

Written By: Guest 6862 on 02/14/06 at 11:36 am

This is not a parody comment thread, but it has been on the site for at least a couple years (Avril La Vigne and Hilary Duff); lots of people are arguing saying how one performer is better than the other; I have no problem with comments discrediting one performer or the other (in a simple way, like "I think Miss X sucks; Miss Y rocks!"), but when they start to post all kinds of wacky comments (lyk thiss..in fact, there's probably a truckload of inane comments on it), that's where the line needs to be drawn.

here's the URL for the comment thread I'm talking about:
http://www.amiright.com/newsitems/items/newsitem_1080224573.shtml

Could it be taken down so that the spam doesn't continue?

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/06 at 12:36 pm

This is not a parody comment thread, but it has been on the site for at least a couple years (Avril La Vigne and Hilary Duff); lots of people are arguing saying how one performer is better than the other; I have no problem with comments discrediting one performer or the other (in a simple way, like "I think Miss X sucks; Miss Y rocks!"), but when they start to post all kinds of wacky comments (lyk thiss..in fact, there's probably a truckload of inane comments on it), that's where the line needs to be drawn.

OMG, that is the longest list of comments I have ever seen, after reading alittle of that, I scrolled down the rest of the way.

:o :o :o :o

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/14/06 at 1:05 pm

I've offered to remove it or lock it a couple of times, but people are getting a kick out of seeing the morons yell at each other.

I wonder if there's a high keyword rank in google for something in that page, because it's so old it's not even listed in the news archives.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/14/06 at 1:14 pm

I should also mention it's the most commented item on the site with 1391 comments (after I deleted another two dozen today).  The second most popular one is this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/rickymartin14.shtml

and 90% of that one has nothing to do with the song either.  It's got 1144 comments

third place has 300 comments, it's full of people who hate neopets.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean29.shtml

after that, it drops quickly.

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/14/06 at 2:08 pm

I've offered to remove it or lock it a couple of times, but people are getting a kick out of seeing the morons yell at each other

Keep it up there, Chucky --- it's more fun than visiting the zoo! 

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/14/06 at 6:32 pm

seconded :)

Written By: Red Ant on 02/15/06 at 3:17 am

I should also mention it's the most commented item on the site with 1391 comments (after I deleted another two dozen today).  The second most popular one is this one:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/rickymartin14.shtml

and 90% of that one has nothing to do with the song either.  It's got 1144 comments

third place has 300 comments, it's full of people who hate neopets.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean29.shtml

after that, it drops quickly.

This one has 282 and is an example of how a parody title can make a huge difference:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/linkinpark50.shtml

Most comments are by LP fans who apparently are all 9 years old.

I have one that has 223 comments on it simply because the author I chat with won't get an inthe00s.com account and I am not giving out my e-mail address. We talk about parodies all of the time, just not that one.

Yeah, and it makes great parody fodder.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/15/06 at 1:42 pm

I'm lucky my Avril lavigne parody didn't get that amount of attention(must be because the idea was done repeatedly before mine).

:o :o :o :o

Written By: Joe. on 02/22/06 at 11:32 pm

Hey Chuck, I noticed a ton of comments where the name and body contain a string of garble. I reported all of them and said they were spam. Here's an example:

hftFS0cOzU - February 22, 2006  12:30:17 PM - Report Inappropriate Comment
sTe08y3xobJW XWhrYQkdYm7t cAvkawRLakJC

Why do people do such a childish thing? ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/23/06 at 6:12 am

Hey Chuck, I noticed a ton of comments where the name and body contain a string of garble. I reported all of them and said they were spam. Here's an example:

hftFS0cOzU - February 22, 2006  12:30:17 PM - Report Inappropriate Comment
sTe08y3xobJW XWhrYQkdYm7t cAvkawRLakJC

Why do people do such a childish thing? ::)

it's probably a comment spammer.  if the crap isn't removed and they can find it later with a search engine, they know their comment abuse script is working

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 2:43 pm

it's probably a comment spammer.  if the crap isn't removed and they can find it later with a search engine, they know their comment abuse script is working

I'm thinking about reporting all future posts using "Spelling Cop", "Decade Police", etc., it's happened on a couple of my parodies lately. The second time it happened it wasn't even related to the parody, but to an error in one of my posts on that parody. It's just annoying, irrelevent and takes up space with nonsense that could be better spent with more important comments.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/28/06 at 3:37 pm

I'm thinking about reporting all future posts using "Spelling Cop", "Decade Police", etc., it's happened on a couple of my parodies lately. The second time it happened it wasn't even related to the parody, but to an error in one of my posts on that parody. It's just annoying, irrelevent and takes up space with nonsense that could be better spent with more important comments.

I delete all that nonsene when it's reported, so feel free

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 4:47 pm

I delete all that nonsene when it's reported, so feel free

Alrighty then. ;)

Written By: A. Guest on 02/28/06 at 5:09 pm

Alrighty then. ;)

But comments about typographical errors or other kinsd of mistakes should not be construed as spam. Some folks just have a big aversion to inaccuracies; i don't know what else to say. In fact, I think it makes things much easier when something is accurate, especially for reference purposes. I, for one, would rather see more toilet parodies than misdecaded ones, even though I don't like toilet parodies. I, for one, cannot accept something inaccurate as it is.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/28/06 at 6:17 pm

But comments about typographical errors or other kinsd of mistakes should not be construed as spam. Some folks just have a big aversion to inaccuracies; i don't know what else to say. In fact, I think it makes things much easier when something is accurate, especially for reference purposes. I, for one, would rather see more toilet parodies than misdecaded ones, even though I don't like toilet parodies. I, for one, cannot accept something inaccurate as it is.

Let me say this: Not all of us are grammer/decade/homonym/spelling genuises and not all of us have dictionaries at home. A post about a spelling error that refers to a comment left on a parody which has nothing to do with the parody itself is a complete waste of space, so it's better off not being there. Plus with me using internet in public places, there are time limits(when the time is up, you are booted off automatically) and I get in a hurry when typing during the last minutes, I'm trying to get my post up before my time ends. When it comes to any grammer based mistake in parodies, I don't care, it doesn't ruin reading it for me. As for decades, again, I don't care. We have a perfomers index so that no one has to deal with the decade confusion now. I always put any parody based on a Nirvana song in the 90s, including ones from the Bleach album, which was released in 1989(technically 80s era) and no one has complained.

I feel that those who leave comments about grammer/decade errors are just trying to stir up trouble and make the author mad, so it's not worth letting the post stay up.

:)

Written By: Me on 02/28/06 at 9:53 pm

Let me say this: Not all of us are grammer/decade/homonym/spelling genuises and not all of us have dictionaries at home. A post about a spelling error that refers to a comment left on a parody which has nothing to do with the parody itself is a complete waste of space, so it's better off not being there. Plus with me using internet in public places, there are time limits(when the time is up, you are booted off automatically) and I get in a hurry when typing during the last minutes, I'm trying to get my post up before my time ends. When it comes to any grammer based mistake in parodies, I don't care, it doesn't ruin reading it for me. As for decades, again, I don't care. We have a perfomers index so that no one has to deal with the decade confusion now. I always put any parody based on a Nirvana song in the 90s, including ones from the Bleach album, which was released in 1989(technically 80s era) and no one has complained.

I feel that those who leave comments about grammer/decade errors are just trying to stir up trouble and make the author mad, so it's not worth letting the post stay up.

:)

Well then the decade index should go. Period.

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/28/06 at 10:07 pm

Period.

Ahh... NOW we understand why you're so moody.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: karen on 03/01/06 at 3:34 am

Ahh... NOW we understand why you're so moody.

xoxox
Spaff

Much as I dislike people who use this as an excuse your comment made me laugh!

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/01/06 at 9:30 am

if you don't like the decade index, don't use it.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/01/06 at 2:20 pm

Points to post^^^^

;D

Well, it's not my say whether it goes or not.

Written By: Me on 04/04/06 at 4:37 pm

This one has 282 and is an example of how a parody title can make a huge difference:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/linkinpark50.shtml

Most comments are by LP fans who apparently are all 9 years old.

This one

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/linkinpark131.shtml

also contains a truckload of inane comments by LP fans and anti-Linkin Park people who are probably no more than seven or eight years old (mentally). I just took a look at it and it's got lots of dirty comments which should not be there. >:(

Written By: A. Guest on 04/05/06 at 10:38 am

This one

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/linkinpark131.shtml

also contains a truckload of inane comments by LP fans and anti-Linkin Park people who are probably no more than seven or eight years old (mentally). I just took a look at it and it's got lots of dirty comments which should not be there. >:(

All you can do is hit the report inappropriate comment button and the mods will get rid of 'em.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/15/06 at 2:34 pm

All you can do is hit the report inappropriate comment button and the mods will get rid of 'em.

That one will be alot of work. :o

Written By: Brown Ant on 06/27/06 at 12:55 am

Hey Chuck...

I just noticed a whole slew of comments on the "Latest Comments" page that look like they've been written by a spammer. The name field was left blank on all of them, and they said some incoherent things that didn't even make any sense. Here's an example of one:

- June 27, 2006  12:37:26 AM - Report Inappropriate Comment
racks fortify?reticulated precipitated Donaldson alga

I reported that one, but there are so many I wasn't gonna go through all of them, that would've been tedious. But like Tide detergent, it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. If you look right around that one you'll see a ton of them.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/27/06 at 12:35 pm

Hey Chuck...

I just noticed a whole slew of comments on the "Latest Comments" page that look like they've been written by a spammer. The name field was left blank on all of them, and they said some incoherent things that didn't even make any sense. Here's an example of one:

I reported that one, but there are so many I wasn't gonna go through all of them, that would've been tedious. But like Tide detergent, it's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it. If you look right around that one you'll see a ton of them.

yeah, it looks like the spammers don't care that their message isn't being seen, they just want to flood the site with useless garbage now.  Red Ant is trying to keep up with the flood, but it's coming too fast now.  I might be turning off comments for a brief while until I can re-write the submission engine.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/27/06 at 12:57 pm

Hey Chuck...

I see my fellow Ant hates spam as much as I do. Thanks for reporting that one. I've deleted 122 spammed comments already today; that *should* be all of them.

yeah, it looks like the spammers don't care that their message isn't being seen, they just want to flood the site with useless garbage now.  Red Ant is trying to keep up with the flood, but it's coming too fast now.  I might be turning off comments for a brief while until I can re-write the submission engine.

If you need to turn off the comments for more than a day to re-write the code, I'd ask that you please wait until July 1st so SOTM commenting can be done as required by that contest. Until then I can delete them manually; even 120+ comments only takes about 10 minutes to erase.

To all: At this point all I'm looking for and deleting is "outside" spam, such as what Brown Ant listed above. I don't have the time to search through hundreds of comments a day, everyday, for decade complaints and naughty language.

Written By: Brown Ant on 06/27/06 at 3:52 pm

I see my fellow Ant hates spam as much as I do. Thanks for reporting that one. I've deleted 122 spammed comments already today; that *should* be all of them.

Holy ferragamo, there were a hundred and twenty-two of em? :o

Well at least they're gone now, so that's outta the way. 8)

Does Blue Ant hate them too?

Written By: Blue Ant on 06/28/06 at 12:19 am

Holy ferragamo, there were a hundred and twenty-two of em? :o

Well at least they're gone now, so that's outta the way. 8)

Does Blue Ant hate them too?

As a matter of fact, fellow ant, I have reported a few of 'em myself, so I guess you can say I hates 'em too. :P

Written By: Joe Blow on 09/19/06 at 11:26 am

There are way too many spam comments on this parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/coldchisel1.shtml

Especially the ones dated 2006 (all but one, that is). There are stupid things like "cheap viagara", "xoxox", etc. They don't say anything about the parody. I've had to report at least half a dozen of them.

Written By: A. Person on 09/28/06 at 3:44 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing comments by an entity under the name "jonny"? All he does is type "jonny" in the name field and the comment field. It's pointless. That constitutes spam.

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/28/06 at 3:49 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else noticing comments by an entity under the name "jonny"? All he does is type "jonny" in the name field and the comment field. It's pointless. That constitutes spam.

we know all about jonny... and we've been working on trying to prevent this one.  since amiright filters our the html he's trying to use, it just ends up as jonny

Written By: Red Ant on 09/29/06 at 5:29 am

I've probably wiped 300+ comments of his by now. I also wrote this.

Written By: Joe Blow on 10/07/06 at 4:27 pm

There are way too many spam comments on this parody:

Especially the ones dated 2006 (all but one, that is). There are stupid things like "cheap viagara", "xoxox", etc. They don't say anything about the parody. I've had to report at least half a dozen of them.

Seems like the Cold Chisel parody I referenced two weeks ago is becoming a bigger target for spam. There's at least half a dozen spam comments on there in the last two weeks. ::) I want to report them all, but it's rather tedious to report each and every single one.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/07/06 at 10:53 pm

Seems like the Cold Chisel parody I referenced two weeks ago is becoming a bigger target for spam. There's at least half a dozen spam comments on there in the last two weeks. ::) I want to report them all, but it's rather tedious to report each and every single one.

Most of them are gone now; the few I couldn't delete, I reported.

Written By: Joe Blow on 10/11/06 at 2:07 pm

Most of them are gone now; the few I couldn't delete, I reported.

It seems like a contingent of spammers is bombarding this one now: http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional240.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 10/11/06 at 11:09 pm

It seems like a contingent of spammers is bombarding this one now: http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional240.shtml

Yeah, I've noticed that URL has been getting al lot of spam recently. They're all gone now.

Written By: A. Guest on 10/12/06 at 12:02 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that URL has been getting al lot of spam recently. They're all gone now.

There seems to be two more identical spam comments by a "Phetermine" on there now that say exactly the same thing.

Can there be something to stop that nonsense? It is getting rather stupid. ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 10/12/06 at 1:33 pm

There seems to be two more identical spam comments by a "Phetermine" on there now that say exactly the same thing.

Can there be something to stop that nonsense? It is getting rather stupid. ::)

That name sounds similiar to the one that was spamming the kemonomimi section on the iichan site I occassionally go to, they were spamming it with advertisements of sorts.

Written By: Joe Blow on 10/18/06 at 4:36 pm

Seems like there's more and more spam building up on these parodies:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional240.shtml

If I could, I'd ban the IP's of the losers who keep posting repetitive "cool site2" crap and nonsense like that. It's getting rather tedious to report each and every single one.

I'M SO SICK OF SPAM IN COMMENTS!! >:( >:(

Written By: Mr. Critic on 10/19/06 at 11:42 am

If I could, I'd ban the IP's of the losers who keep posting repetitive "cool site2" crap and nonsense like that. It's getting rather tedious to report each and every single one.

I'M SO SICK OF SPAM IN COMMENTS!! >:( >:(

I hear you loud and clear. All you can do is report the comments. Don't respond to them, that only encourages those @** holes. ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/06 at 11:17 am

Unfortunately most of these spammers, while incredibly stupid, still have managed to figure out how to use anonymous proxies to sheild their IP address from showing up. IP blocks are not an effective means of combating spammers

Written By: Joe Blow on 10/25/06 at 12:26 pm

Unfortunately most of these spammers, while incredibly stupid, still have managed to figure out how to use anonymous proxies to sheild their IP address from showing up. IP blocks are not an effective means of combating spammers

Then how can we END the crapload of spam that shows up? Should we keep on reporting it? And if another parody's comment thread becomes a target, should we post its link here?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/25/06 at 12:58 pm

Then how can we END the crapload of spam that shows up? Should we keep on reporting it? And if another parody's comment thread becomes a target, should we post its link here?

I made some changes Monday that should cut down dramatically on spam for the time being.  If you see a parody with more than two spams on it, just send it to me or Red Ant in a PM and we'll remove it.  If there's more than three or four in the "latest messages' section, better to just let us know rather than report all of them.  If it's just one or two go ahead report it.

It's never going to be 100% clean, since anyone can post.  I'm trying to keep the barriers low to encourage people posting on parodies.  If you require a login or anything else, you'll discourage participation.  Easier to just purge the spam as it appears.

Written By: A. Person on 10/31/06 at 3:18 pm

There's all kinds of off-topic crap on this parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/alanismorissette19.shtml

I don't know if all those big lengthy comments count as spam, but it's the same three our four people trying to turn a particular comment thread into a Sonic The Hedghog messageboard. I find that disturbing.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/02/06 at 12:20 pm

There's all kinds of off-topic crap on this parody:

I don't know if all those big lengthy comments count as spam, but it's the same three our four people trying to turn a particular comment thread into a Sonic The Hedghog messageboard. I find that disturbing.

That's quite abit.

Written By: Guest on 01/30/07 at 1:10 pm

I just spotted a couple of spam comments on this parody:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/jumpnsaddleband0.shtml

They both say:

Smith - January 30, 2007  12:44:12 PM - Report Inappropriate Comment
Very interesting site, beautiful design, thanks.

This loser also attacked the cold chisel parody referenced above.

Written By: Some Guy on 05/17/07 at 11:45 pm

On this parody:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/afi21.shtml

There's a lot of insolent, nonsense talk; I don't know if that qualifies as "spam", per se, but it is rather annoying.

Written By: Mr. Critic on 11/21/07 at 10:22 am

Admins....please look at this one again:

I know there was all kinds of off-topic crap on there last year, but I just happened to see that the latest comments on it (from today) were rather incoherent. I bet it was the same troll posting half a dozen times in a row, with the names in ALL CAPS (LIKE THIS), and a bunch of question marks in a row. While that person did actually give feedback on the parody ("I hate the parody," s/he/it said), they went bonkers (for lack of a better word).

Written By: Mr Critic on 12/10/07 at 4:15 pm

Admins....please look at this one again:

I know there was all kinds of off-topic crap on there last year, but I just happened to see that the latest comments on it (from today) were rather incoherent. I bet it was the same troll posting half a dozen times in a row, with the names in ALL CAPS (LIKE THIS), and a bunch of question marks in a row. While that person did actually give feedback on the parody ("I hate the parody," s/he/it said), they went bonkers (for lack of a better word).

Two more spams were spotted on this parody.  I bet they came from the same stupid troll.

Written By: A. Person on 03/05/08 at 3:31 pm

Check this out...I saw a really really big long comment on the "latest comments" page; it took me a while to scroll up to where it began; it seems like repeated instances of the same thing 184700409256 times in succession. Here's the parody where it occurs on:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/lesmiserables1.shtml

Perhaps there should be a limit on the length of comments?

Written By: Step-chan on 03/05/08 at 7:12 pm

Check this out...I saw a really really big long comment on the "latest comments" page; it took me a while to scroll up to where it began; it seems like repeated instances of the same thing 184700409256 times in succession. Here's the parody where it occurs on:

Aiyah!!!

Talk about getting carried away. :o

Written By: karen on 03/05/08 at 8:21 pm

So did you use the 'report this comment' tool?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/05/08 at 10:04 pm

So did you use the 'report this comment' tool?

someone did, and I took care of it.  There used to be a size limit on comments, but I guess I forgot to put it back in when I rewrote the commenting system.  That's one for my to do list.

Written By: karen on 03/05/08 at 10:14 pm

someone did, and I took care of it.  There used to be a size limit on comments, but I guess I forgot to put it back in when I rewrote the commenting system.  That's one for my to do list.

that would be me (unless someone else beat me to it)

Written By: nally on 03/05/08 at 10:53 pm

Woah-ho. :o :o That's going overboard.

I just happened to click on there again, and it's still there. So are a couple of other nonsense comments.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/06/08 at 7:32 am

Woah-ho. :o :o That's going overboard.

I just happened to click on there again, and it's still there. So are a couple of other nonsense comments.

thanks for not reporting them so they stay there even longer...

Written By: nally on 03/06/08 at 1:20 pm

thanks for not reporting them so they stay there even longer...

Didn't you say someone reported the really big one, though?

I've reported spam-type comments in the past, and I've noticed with this new system that when I try to report more than one of them, it gives an error message saying "The report was already saved", whether the bad comments be on the same parody or different ones.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/06/08 at 3:14 pm

Didn't you say someone reported the really big one, though?

I've reported spam-type comments in the past, and I've noticed with this new system that when I try to report more than one of them, it gives an error message saying "The report was already saved", whether the bad comments be on the same parody or different ones.

news to me... maybe there's a bug I didn't know about.  it should allow you to report more than one comment on a parody.

Written By: skittlesking on 03/06/08 at 3:19 pm

I reported at least one, I didn't figure I'd post it elsewhere, It's easier for me to hit report this comment, but they made a lot more after my initial report, and I had to get back to work--what kinda person sits and copies comments and reposts them anyway--what an oddball that was.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/06/08 at 9:29 pm

I reported at least one, I didn't figure I'd post it elsewhere, It's easier for me to hit report this comment, but they made a lot more after my initial report, and I had to get back to work--what kinda person sits and copies comments and reposts them anyway--what an oddball that was.

I think I'm going to modify my admin tool for the reports to show all the messages on a page, so I can see if a person is spamming it up.  Probably help me and Red Ant find them faster.

Written By: malibumike65 on 03/14/08 at 1:58 pm

I'm nowhere near considered to be a computer expert, so please forgive me if this suggestion is not viable, but is there a way to record the IPO of guest computers, and block those who violate the spam policy? It may not stop all of the spam, but repeat offenders would be hampered by having to find a different computer each time they want to behave like that. As I said, I don't know if this is a viable option, but it would throw a monkey wrench into their plans.  8)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/14/08 at 2:05 pm

I'm nowhere near considered to be a computer expert, so please forgive me if this suggestion is not viable, but is there a way to record the IPO of guest computers, and block those who violate the spam policy? It may not stop all of the spam, but repeat offenders would be hampered by having to find a different computer each time they want to behave like that. As I said, I don't know if this is a viable option, but it would throw a monkey wrench into their plans.  8)

we do track the IP address, and do ban the address if the person is persistent, but it's easy to fake an address to pretend you're coming from somewhere else.  It's one of the reasons we have a "stamp it out as it shows up" policy.

Written By: malibumike65 on 03/14/08 at 4:13 pm

we do track the IP address, and do ban the address if the person is persistent, but it's easy to fake an address to pretend you're coming from somewhere else.  It's one of the reasons we have a "stamp it out as it shows up" policy.

I knew there had to be a reason why this wasn't tried before. I didn't know that you could change your IP address though. I thought it was like a VIN number on a car or something that couldn't be tampered with. (Now you know why I've never applied to be a mod.)  ;D

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/15/08 at 9:46 am

I knew there had to be a reason why this wasn't tried before. I didn't know that you could change your IP address though. I thought it was like a VIN number on a car or something that couldn't be tampered with. (Now you know why I've never applied to be a mod.)  ;D

Sometimes I think it would be nice if it did work that way, but alas it doesn't.  It does serve a useful purpose, in getting around censorship when people have a legitimate purpose for it, but generally it's just used by spammers and trolls.

Written By: Mr critic on 10/01/08 at 1:06 pm

There's all kinds of inane commentary on this one (especially in the last couple days):

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/barney0.shtml

Written By: Mr critic on 10/02/08 at 11:34 am

I think Dr Music is starting to leave a ton of spam-like comments, as I have noted on the "Dr Music, petition to ban" thread. Has anyone else noticed this?

Written By: Mr critic on 10/02/08 at 3:14 pm

I think Dr Music is starting to leave a ton of spam-like comments, as I have noted on the "Dr Music, petition to ban" thread. Has anyone else noticed this?

I guess no one else has...that's odd :-\\

Not to mention that the comments are still there, even after i've reported one of them

Written By: Red Ant on 10/02/08 at 11:07 pm

I guess no one else has...that's odd :-\\

Not to mention that the comments are still there, even after i've reported one of them

Not every reported comment is deleted.

Commenting under multiple pseudonyms and reporting other comments carries less weight with website editors (at least this one) when it comes to potentially inappropriate comments, especially when the comments are of a less than glowing or confrontational type, or you have replied to something you've reported. Constructive criticism and dislike are to be expected on a site where one puts up his/her work for evaluation purposes and enables comments upon submission. The rules on amiright and inthe00s.com are not identical. I'm well aware of Dr.Music, not to mention the decade complaints from other anonymous people...

Just so everyone is clear on the report features on amiright:

Message Report Tool
The following are vaild reasons to report a comment:

Decade complaints - pointing out, in any fashion, that a song is misdecaded, improperly attributed to a performer, or spelling mistakes in titles/artist names is grounds for removal of the comment. Phrasing the comment in the form of a question or dressing it up with flattery is not going to make a decade complaint stay. I delete all of these upon sight regardless of whether or not they are reported.

Profanity - the profanity filter on amiright is basically the same as it is here, and so are the rules on it.

Spam - mostly ads for crap no one cares about, this also includes repeatedly posting the same thing, either on one URL or multiple ones. Running conversations are usually not spam.

Personal Attacks - "Your parody sucks, 111" - not personal. "Your mom is a whore" - personal. Disagreements between authors are *generally* not considered attacks.

Posting entire articles/stories from outside sources - this is basically spam and poor writing practice. If someone wants people to read an entire article or webpage, post a link to it. Links relevant to parodies or the conversation thereof are not spam.

Re: pseudonyms: there is no such thing as being uniquely anonymous. Author names as well as messageboard member names are "reserved", even if that isn't their real or complete name - i.e., if you see a comment by a regular writer or board member, you will know it's really them.

In comments on amiright, despite the numerous editors for that site, the only person who uses the handle "Website Editor" is me (rarely if that) - if ChuckyG makes a comment, it's under his name. No other people edit comments over there, thus no one should pose in such a capacity. Not to say other website editors can't comment on amiright, just that they will not use that handle or something similarly authoritarian, such as 'board moderator'.

Finally, if you want to write something nice under a pseudonym, go for it. If you're trying to start crap or have something negative to write, man up and say it under a name people will recognize (i.e., your own).

Ant

Written By: guest on 10/06/08 at 1:51 pm

^ So "spam" type comments, would be something like "cheap viagara" or "Cool site man" or something of that nature (which thankfully we don't see anymore)? If so, then "parody comment spam", as we know it, is prety much gone?

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/06/08 at 9:31 pm

^ So "spam" type comments, would be something like "cheap viagara" or "Cool site man" or something of that nature (which thankfully we don't see anymore)? If so, then "parody comment spam", as we know it, is prety much gone?

it still occasionally shows up, but not for long and not on many parodies.  I think this thread started a few years ago before I rewrote the comment system to use CAPTCHA images (those letter/number images).  Once the new comment system went in place, most of the comment problems revolve around visitors to the site who are immature.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/07/08 at 8:43 am

Though he doesn't apply towards any of the above criteria, I still wish that something, some sort of stern warning from editors or Chucky, could be done for "Dr. Music" and his various aliases. It is disconcerting to click on Latest Comments and see entry after entry rambling on about Jay Leno, John Candy, "Annie's" skills as a parody writer, and whatever else happens to be on his little mind.  :(

Written By: EthanM on 10/07/08 at 9:06 am

Commenting on your own parody several times in a day without those comments being in response to someone else is a sort of spam flooding the comments page to draw attention to yourself, isn't it?

Written By: Joe on 10/28/08 at 10:44 am

Chuckie:

I tried reporting a big, long, pointless comment on this parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/suzannevega29.shtml

And it gave me a form error, saying that the report was already saved. That can't be right, since I only reported it once (or at least attempted to). What gives?

I had to report that comment because it had pointless ramblings, and attacks/threats aimed at one or more Amirighters; I'm suspecting it was a certain banned parodist who is begging to come back.

Written By: EthanM on 10/28/08 at 10:59 am

The comment is gone, and I agree that comment had dr. music's style all over it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/28/08 at 6:49 pm

Chuckie:

I tried reporting a big, long, pointless comment on this parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/suzannevega29.shtml

And it gave me a form error, saying that the report was already saved. That can't be right, since I only reported it once (or at least attempted to). What gives?

I had to report that comment because it had pointless ramblings, and attacks/threats aimed at one or more Amirighters; I'm suspecting it was a certain banned parodist who is begging to come back.

someone else had reported it.  it's long gone now.  I got two reports on it right after each other...

Written By: karen on 10/28/08 at 10:02 pm

someone else had reported it.  it's long gone now.  I got two reports on it right after each other...

It might have been me trying to report it after reading Joe's message here.  :-\\

Written By: A. Person on 12/16/08 at 10:30 am

Admins, have you checked the latest comments page again? It seems like a certain banned parodist is leaving more inane commentary, and three parodies that look like they're by him got through. I reported those links in the Sam Leno thread in AmiRight Web Site News & Discussion.

Written By: A. Nother Person on 12/16/08 at 5:07 pm

You might also want to check out this parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/carlcarlton0.shtml

The author is insisting that the President-elect, Barack O'bama, was born outside the U.S., while the wise folk (including someone by the name of "Mr 1's") is trying to point out otherwise. It's getting into a heated debate, and the author is accusing Mr 1s of bullying, when in fact, the author is the pot calling the kettle black. Please remove any such comments from that parody (I've already reported one of them)

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/17/08 at 12:39 pm

You might also want to check out this parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/carlcarlton0.shtml

The author is insisting that the President-elect, Barack O'bama, was born outside the U.S., while the wise folk (including someone by the name of "Mr 1's") is trying to point out otherwise. It's getting into a heated debate, and the author is accusing Mr 1s of bullying, when in fact, the author is the pot calling the kettle black. Please remove any such comments from that parody (I've already reported one of them)

I just removed the parody instead.  Not going to tolerate the borderline libel in that piece on my site

Check for new replies or respond here...