inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone know who wrote "Cat's In The Kettle"?

Written By: Gonfunko on 11/22/04 at 3:23 pm

I've always been perplexed about the author. Intense googling seems to yield nothing, but that parody is partially responsible for my parody addiction. Does ANYONE know who wrote it?

Subject: Re: Does anyone know who wrote "Cat's In The Kettle"?

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/22/04 at 3:43 pm

"Cat's In The Ladle (At The Peking Moon)" ?

Written By: jreuben on 11/22/04 at 3:47 pm

"Cat's In The Ladle (At The Peking Moon)" ?

There is a version on Bob Rivers twisted tunes website:

http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/tunes/tunes.asp?Var=C

Either he did it, or Manic Larry Baker (or both)

Written By: CG on 02/05/08 at 6:49 pm

I think the late Jim Taylor of Sydney claimed to have written it.

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/05/08 at 10:00 pm

Found that silly video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NmXxrMC5Pv4

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/07/08 at 11:50 pm

I think the late Jim Taylor of Sydney claimed to have written it.

Close.  (Maybe the same songwriter, but recorded under a different name by a couple of US DJs?) under the name of the Ill-Eagles, it appears as Track 5 of their Solid Mold, Vol. 2.  

According to Wikipedia, DJs Jimmy Ray & Jay of WGH-FM Eagle 97.3 (Norfolk, VA) wroteperformed a parody of the song, entitled "Cat's in the Kettle" on their second release Ill-Eagles II: Living in the House of Hope, which plays with the stereotype that Chinese restaurants in America use cat meat to pad out their food. As with the erroneous attributions of Chapin's song to Stevens, this parody has been attributed incorrectly to "Weird Al" Yankovic - a source of irritation to Yankovic, who eschews the use of racist humor.

(EDIT 7/26/2010: Wikipedia page no longer refers to it.  I concur with the guy who posted here about the difference between authoring and performing a song.  I think the "DJ Jimmy Ray & Jay" song dates to the mid-90s, and the Mad Music Archive attributes it to Manic Larry Baker in the late 80s.)

Written By: Linn on 02/15/10 at 4:24 pm

I've always been perplexed about the author. Intense googling seems to yield nothing, but that parody is partially responsible for my parody addiction. Does ANYONE know who wrote it?
I found a version written by Malcolm Higgins

Written By: Manic Larry Baker on 07/26/10 at 10:31 am

I can put all this rumor to rest....as I should know the Answer..... I WROTE the song for the American Comedy Network in 1991...and since you cannot copyright a Song that is already copyrighted as Cats in the Cradle was by Harry Chapin is.....a lot of people rip it off and put in on their websites and air it on Radio Stations......But no it is Manic Larry Baker...and I have the Check I got paid to Prove it.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 07/26/10 at 9:16 pm

OMG I LOVE THIS SONG! Don't really know much history about it though.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/26/10 at 9:39 pm

I can put all this rumor to rest....as I should know the Answer..... I WROTE the song for the American Comedy Network in 1991...and since you cannot copyright a Song that is already copyrighted as Cats in the Cradle was by Harry Chapin is.....a lot of people rip it off and put in on their websites and air it on Radio Stations......But no it is Manic Larry Baker...and I have the Check I got paid to Prove it.

I'll buy that, and have modified my original post accordingly.  But while googling around to back it up, I also found this.  What light can you shed on the story between you and Aaron Wilburn, who also sometimes gets credit for it?  (Or was he also someone who performed it?)

(Outside of this discussion, I couldn't find much to conclusively determine it either way, but if that's really you, I'll bet you know the story, and can help us help the 'net settle the history of this awesome parody once and for all!)

Written By: Larry Baker on 01/18/11 at 1:50 am

I'll buy that, and have modified my original post accordingly.  But while googling around to back it up, I also found this.  What light can you shed on the story between you and Aaron Wilburn, who also sometimes gets credit for it?  (Or was he also someone who performed it?)

(Outside of this discussion, I couldn't find much to conclusively determine it either way, but if that's really you, I'll bet you know the story, and can help us help the 'net settle the history of this awesome parody once and for all!)

Yes Foo Bar....Aaron Wilburn is the guy you hear singing most of the rip offs of my Lyrics. If you go to www.twistedtunes.com which is for the Bob Rivers Show in Seattle....His version is the original artist who sang my song for the American Comedy Network.  You can hear the difference immediately although Aaron Wilburn did a great job he doesn't sound anything like Harry Chapin did when he sang the song or the Orginal Vocals for the American Comedy Network where the singer sounds just like Harry Chapin

Written By: perl on 02/16/11 at 10:13 am

You can't even copyright your own lyrics?

Written By: Signe on 12/24/12 at 1:58 pm

this song was actually written by a guy named Aaron Wilburn (www.aaronwilburn.com)

Written By: Casey Joseph Steven on 03/06/13 at 8:32 pm

;)I KNOW that I'm right! I agree! I know that Bob Rivers wrote it! I have that album that's HECK of funny!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...