inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: It's Funny Five Time!

Written By: Spaff.com on 11/29/04 at 11:59 pm

In the halcyon days of my adolescence (we're talking months ago), I stayed up many a Sunday night listening to the Dr. Demento show. I dreamed of one day having a song in the Funny Five. (I know - it's not like wanting to be President or to find a cure for cancer, but hey.)

I may now be as close as I'm ever gonna get.

On Sunday night's show (11/28/04), Dr. D. played "I Want Some Plastic Surgery for Christmas" as an "extra" between the #2 and #1 songs in the Funny Five. So it wasn't actually in the Funny Five, but it was so close I can taste it. What this means, I suppose, is that the song actually has a chance of actually making the actual chart - if enough people actually request it.

I know I'm in no position to ask favors, but far be it from me to not ask anyway. So please take a few seconds and ask - nay, demand - that the good doctor play Robert Lund's "I Want Some Plastic Surgery for Christmas." You can do so by calling the Dementophone (562-ODD-TUNE) or by completing this form here:
http://www.clamhead.com/drdrequest.php

Just think - if it works, you'll make a middle-aged, middle-sized middle manager feel middlingly better about himself. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?

God bless us, everyone.
xoxox
Spaff

Subject: Re: It's Funny Five Time!

Written By: Cookie-man on 11/30/04 at 10:46 am

In the halcyon days of my adolescence (we're talking months ago), I stayed up many a Sunday night listening to the Dr. Demento show. I dreamed of one day having a song in the Funny Five. (I know - it's not like wanting to be President or to find a cure for cancer, but hey.)

I may now be as close as I'm ever gonna get.

On Sunday night's show (11/28/04), Dr. D. played "I Want Some Plastic Surgery for Christmas" as an "extra" between the #2 and #1 songs in the Funny Five. So it wasn't actually in the Funny Five, but it was so close I can taste it. What this means, I suppose, is that the song actually has a chance of actually making the actual chart - if enough people actually request it.

I know I'm in no position to ask favors, but far be it from me to not ask anyway. So please take a few seconds and ask - nay, demand - that the good doctor play Robert Lund's "I Want Some Plastic Surgery for Christmas." You can do so by calling the Dementophone (562-ODD-TUNE) or by completing this form here:
http://www.clamhead.com/drdrequest.php

Just think - if it works, you'll make a middle-aged, middle-sized middle manager feel middlingly better about himself. And isn't that what Christmas is all about?

God bless us, everyone.
xoxox
Spaff

That is SO incredibly cool!!!  I haven't been able to listen to the good doctor for years because it was taken off the air here and no one wants to pick up his show. >:(
I am definitely going to fill out the request form!!!
And in the immortal words of Tiny Tim "God bless you Mr. Spaff!"  or something like that......  ;D

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/30/04 at 1:37 pm

Holy crap, FINALLY!  I was beginning to think the good doctor was brain damaged. But his stupid site won't tell me which radio station I should pretend I listen to, so I just went with "WSPF--bam!  The future of parodies..."

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/30/04 at 4:17 pm

Congrats, Spaff! You are amongst the ranks with Rick! (Wish i could say the same, having atempted twice).

Folks, if you need a station, enter Chicago, WLUP-FM or "The Loop". Others should list their station here and enter the request a number of times with a number of stations (spaced apart too), that way it doesn't feel like a "ballot box stuffing".

Written By: PRobinson on 11/30/04 at 10:50 pm

Spaff,  gotta vote on the October SOTM entries tonight since I have not yet done so, but I promise to fill out that form in the next few days.  I haven't listened to the good Doctor in many a year now but I used to check him out all the time way back in the early 70's...I had kind of forgotten about his show...

pr

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/01/04 at 12:41 am

Thanx, Cookie, Claude, Aggro, P-Rob, et al., for humoring me. I failed to notice that the request form asks for a radio station. So. A list of stations carrying the Dr. Demento show is available at http://php.indiana.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html

For those of you like Cookie-man and me without any local radio stations carrying the show (we're in Utah, where we once got Dr. Demento but don't anymore, doubtless because of that whole Olympics bribery thing), there are some web broadcasts listed. I suppose an answer of ON THE NET would even suffice for the radio station field. (But what do I know?)

Anyhoo. Thanks again. May Santa bless you.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: jreuben on 12/01/04 at 12:46 am

Thanx, Cookie, Claude, Aggro, P-Rob, et al., for humoring me. I failed to notice that the request form asks for a radio station. So. A list of stations carrying the Dr. Demento show is available at http://php.indiana.edu/~jbmorris/FAQ/stations.html

For those of you like Cookie-man and me without any local radio stations carrying the show (we're in Utah, where we once got Dr. Demento but don't anymore, doubtless because of that whole Olympics bribery thing), there are some web broadcasts listed. I suppose an answer of ON THE NET would even suffice for the radio station field. (But what do I know?)

xoxox
Spaff

I've been looking for this list for a long time.  Of course, it only confirms that unless I can get a West Virginia station, there's nothing near me.  Maybe I can get it off the web somewhere.

PS, I'll still vote, that's very cool.

Written By: Cookie-man on 12/01/04 at 5:24 pm

xoxox
Spaff

Just so everyone is aware I put "on the web" in the radio station box and it seemed to work for me. :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/01/04 at 5:52 pm

Folks who are Demento-less in their area can tune in online via www.wlup.com, 11PM CT on Sunday nights. (via the Listen Live link)

Written By: Rick D on 12/01/04 at 7:45 pm

Thank you Agri. I was actually in the top ten anyway ( I don't remember if it was in the top five) with my song "The Voyeur"

Written By: K1chyd on 12/02/04 at 3:49 pm

I too wrote "on the web" and shamelessly claimed to be from Utah, I´m sure God will forgive me...

Written By: jreuben on 12/03/04 at 2:44 pm

Folks who are Demento-less in their area can tune in online via www.wlup.com, 11PM CT on Sunday nights. (via the Listen Live link)

Thank you much!!!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/03/04 at 7:21 pm

Wow, I totally remember the Loop (born in Chicago, I grew up in NW IN)-- I can't believe they still have those Loop shirts, in high school all the cool people wore 'em.  Anyway, tried to listen live but that part of the site is down for now.  Thanks, though (just as well, 11 PM is way past my bedtime).

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/04/04 at 9:53 am

I hope the Dr Demento staff doesn't read this Message Board.  I was surprised that, with all the radio stations the Los Angeles has, none of them carry this program, but I placed my request and claimed to listen to one in the nearest city.  Good luck, Spaff!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 12/06/04 at 6:10 am

I see by looking at the playlist that Dr. D led off the show with Robert Lund last night -- congrats to Spaff once again; that can't be a bad sign.  No Funny Five though; we'd better fill out that request form for the new week, eh?

Written By: philbo on 12/06/04 at 9:13 am

Getting there, Spaff... definitely getting there :D

I only have one complaint with "I want some plastic surgery for Christmas", and that's my daughter: I'm not sure it's an appropriate one for a ten-year-old to be singing, even if she is eleven now.  ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/06/04 at 1:42 pm

Now I hate to break a bubble or 2, but Demento's show is recorded weeks beforehand, so it may be too late for the month of December to hit Funny 5...maybe...or does he record that beforehand too? (mybe not)

In either case, at least you got the opening song this week, Spaffers! 8)

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/19/04 at 4:28 pm

Now I hate to break a bubble or 2, but Demento's show is recorded weeks beforehand, so it may be too late for the month of December to hit Funny 5...maybe...or does he record that beforehand too? (mybe not)

In either case, at least you got the opening song this week, Spaffers! 8)

Thanks, Aggro, and the rest of you dementites. I sent Dr. D. the CD late last November (2003) and got an email from him in early December thanking me but letting me know that his Christmas shows had already been recorded. So, yes, his shows are put together well in advance of their air dates, and I suppose that y'all's requests for "Plastic Surgery" went in too late to affect any more of this year's shows. But they certainly didn't hurt, and perhaps they will have some impact on his choices for next year's shows. So thank you all very much for your support and encouragement. I'm really gratified that something I wrote made it onto a radio show that I loved so much as a kid, and that, for a couple of brief shining moments, I got to share the rarified air breathed by such legends as Rick Duncan.

And Philbo: Yes, some of the stuff on Elves is PG-13. It wasn't written for the Disney Channel crowd, so it gives me a queasy feeling whenever people tell me that their young kids play it non-stop. It's nice to know that I'm contributing to society's moral decay.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: philbo on 12/19/04 at 5:09 pm

And Philbo: Yes, some of the stuff on Elves is PG-13. It wasn't written for the Disney Channel crowd, so it gives me a queasy feeling whenever people tell me that their young kids play it non-stop. It's nice to know that I'm contributing to society's moral decay.

Is that a "Peaceful queasy feeling", by any chance?  Hell, it's my choice as a parent to let my children listen to it, and I don't reckon that that sort of humour really causes moral decay (they're into a few of mine, too... though I've kept them away from the Lubricated and The Weapon of Bold Knight Sir Farqharlot recordings: surprisingly enough the "Assassin"/Gambler parody is a favourite, along with "Phil Neville went down to Porsche" and less surprisingly "Mend My PC" :)).

Check for new replies or respond here...