inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sabbatical time for me, folks

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/11/04 at 1:02 pm

As far as my parody-writing goes, I admit that I'm in a dry-spell now...combine my sudden lack of new parody ideas with increased responsibilities at work as year-end approaches (software business, fixing bugs for customers, shipping patches, etc), the general holiday busy-ness, and my having been cast by The Concord Players as Inspector Rough in "Angel Street" ( www.concordplayers.org , requiring me to devote lots of time to learning a massive quantity of dialogue)...all combine to render me parody-less at the present time. 

I won't be reading or voting or commenting on as many parodies as I usually do, at least for a few months...however...I will fulfill my Song Of The Month, ABC, and other song-parody-contest voting responsibilities, but not much more than that over the next few months...

...but...

...I'll be BAHCK !    ;)  8)  :)

Happy holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Solstice, and/or whatever you personally prefer) everybody!

Johnny D  ;D

(P.S.  I shall continue smelting, casting, and posting the MEDALS!)

Subject: Re: Sabbatical time for me, folks

Written By: John Jenkins on 12/11/04 at 1:29 pm

JD, your dry spells are like productive weeks for most of the rest of us.  But, break a leg in "Angel Street."  It appears to be a very professional performance based on the Concord Player web site, so I am sorry that I will not be in the Concord area.

Also, thanks for all of your medal preparation labor.

Written By: neminem on 12/11/04 at 2:11 pm

JD, your dry spells are like productive weeks for most of the rest of us.

Hehe, yeah, seriously. I just came back from a dry several month period, to post a single parody, and now looks like I'm headed for another one :). But that's just how my brain works.

Written By: PRobinson on 12/11/04 at 3:34 pm

As far as my parody-writing goes, I admit that I'm in a dry-spell now...combine my sudden lack of new parody ideas with increased responsibilities at work as year-end approaches (software business, fixing bugs for customers, shipping patches, etc), the general holiday busy-ness, and my having been cast by The Concord Players as Inspector Rough in "Angel Street" (requiring me to devote lots of time to learning a massive quantity of dialogue)...all combine to render me parody-less at the present time. 

I won't be reading or voting or commenting on as many parodies as I usually do, at least for a few months...however...I will fulfill my Song Of The Month, ABC, and other song-parody-contest voting responsibilities, but not much more than that over the next few months...

...but...

...I'll be BAHCK !    ;)  8)  :)

Happy holidays (Christmas, Hanukkah, Solstice, and/or whatever you personally prefer) everybody!

Johnny D  ;D

(P.S.  I shall continue smelting, casting, and posting the MEDALS!)

We'll miss ye...Johnny...but it sounds like you will still be around a bit...I've had to taper off lately, too, what with the new job and...well...a tiny bit of a dry spell myself...(can't seem to finish things, suddenly...must be that "going to bed so I can can some sleep tonight" thing - it really screws with my "creative" process, otherwise referred to as "lunacy")...

pr

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 12/11/04 at 4:06 pm

Good luck with everything, JD. I'm sure just like everyone else who takes a break, we'll all forget you within the week and then pile on the 'hey! you're back! we missed you!' lines upon your return. ;)

Written By: 2nz on 12/11/04 at 4:12 pm

Take care of business, JD. Best of luck with those customers who break things and rely on YOU to fix them in their holiday daze. And best of luck in "Angel Street".

And besides, I think I can count on two hands or less the number of my parodies that you missed commenting on. And I know there are others who can do the same. Take a break from your Amiright OCD, you've earned it.

I haven't been around much either, finals and what not. Also got graduation in about two weeks. I can't believe it's over already. Anyhow, what JD said. See you all soon.

Written By: philbo on 12/11/04 at 4:44 pm

Have fun, JD... I guess you're just giving me a chance to think I've broken clear before being overhauled again, huh?

I was in a bit of a dry patch, too... then for some reason the sort of multiple inspiration struck and I think I ran off five or six within the hour.  Life's like that sometimes.

"Inspector Rough"??? Sounds like something you could be arrested for... or a parody title ;)

Subject: bye for now JD

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/11/04 at 10:06 pm

Good on you, Johnny - dazzle the critics - not too much tho' or we won't see or read you again

I too have appreciated the way you always visit and comment on my stuff, and how witty and good-natured those comments always are
- and I also admire and respect how nice and welcoming you always are to the newbies

- enjoy yourself

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(I know they're your favourite smileys ;) )

Written By: Scathe on 12/11/04 at 11:20 pm

:)
Take as long as you need for your responsibilities.
I always surf to this site, so I'll be here when you get back.

Written By: Arwen on 12/12/04 at 12:22 am

I'm sure just like everyone else who takes a break, we'll all forget you within the week and then pile on the 'hey! you're back! we missed you!' lines upon your return. ;)

I took a break once.  Sweet sweet 2nz was the only one who did the "you're back! we missed you!" bit when I got back... 

And you wonder why I love him so...

Oh wait...this isn't about me!  It's about Johnny.  Right.  Um.  Oh...good luck, Mister D!  You know I'm pulling for you... :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/12/04 at 1:26 am

*sniff* Thank you, John Jenkins, neminem, Paul Robinson, Luke Brattoni, 2nz, philbo, Stu McArthur, Scathe, Super Arwen, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion ... and ... *sniff* ... lovely and voluptuously-stuffed Ms. Scarecrow, I - I think I'll miss you most of all ...  ;)

Written By: Rick D on 12/12/04 at 1:38 am

I know you. Your new busy life will inspire you with ideas you just won't be able to resist. Just like when you were in the musical. You'll find yourself looking at computer screens and sighing. You'll find that we're we're a black hole with gravity too strong to resist. Then you'll see a parody of "How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away" and you'll be back. Bigger and badder than ever. You can't escape--- Hahaha!

Besides, I'll miss you.

Written By: EmiLoca on 12/12/04 at 6:47 am

"Dry spell blues falling, searching from door to door.
Them dry spell blues has put every body on the killing floor."

- Son House's "Dry Spell Blues"

Well...y'all come back now, y'hear?  Mama juss gave birth t'wa two-header'd calf an' I says, it's an omen...that Mister D says, his creativity done run dry lik'n empty jug-a Sebmup as'a lately.

And we shore as hell gonna miss that devil.

Written By: PRobinson on 12/12/04 at 11:51 am

I took a break once.  Sweet sweet 2nz was the only one who did the "you're back! we missed you!" bit when I got back... 

And you wonder why I love him so...

Oh wait...this isn't about me!  It's about Johnny.  Right.  Um.  Oh...good luck, Mister D!  You know I'm pulling for you... :)

OH...glad you came back, Arwen, whenever the H*ll that was... ;D

pr

Written By: MooRocca on 12/12/04 at 7:33 pm

Johnny,
As I say to my thespian offspring when they're about to tread the boards:
Break a leg, preferably someone else's!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 12/12/04 at 10:17 pm

Best of luck in your many endeavors, JD.  Just know we'll be waiting for you, with open arms, nothing to hide, believe what we say.

Written By: Arwen on 12/12/04 at 11:13 pm

Best of luck in your many endeavors, JD.  Just know we'll be waiting for you, with open arms, nothing to hide, believe what we say.

LOL!

Written By: Leo Jay on 12/13/04 at 1:00 pm

Have a great time with the play!

Written By: jreuben on 12/13/04 at 1:03 pm

Best of luck, JD!  You're saving a block of tickets for us all, right?  ;)

Have fun stormin the castle!

Written By: Leo Jay on 12/13/04 at 4:00 pm

Best of luck, JD!  You're saving a block of tickets for us all, right?   ;)

You do know that by 'tickets', he means airline tickets... as well as the tickets to that little drama club thing you're doing...  ;D

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/14/04 at 7:24 pm

Thanks, Highlander, EmiLoca, MooRocca, Ashkicksass, Leo Jay, and Jeff. 

We had our first read-through of the script of "Angel Street" on the empty stage at The Concord Players' theatre at 51 Walden Street last night.  The cast, director, and producers all sat around a couple of folding tables, and, fortified by cookies and white grape juice (no, NOT wine, that comes later at the "Tech Supper" and the cast party!), we read the play from beginning to end for the first time.

It was fun, and we found various places in the script where we're going to have to be extra-careful not to crack-up laughing!

For instance... at one point, the woman who is being "gas-lighted" (driven insane) by her husband asks me, "Are you a doctor?"  My response-line in the script begins with, "No, I'm not a doctor...", and I have to work hard not to follow THAT with "...but I play one on TV." 

Also, when that woman asks me what the beverage I'm offering her tastes like (it's scotch whiskey - of course, our props person will probably give us iced tea), I say "Delicious!" ... ARRRGHH ... must ... not ... say ... it ... like ... Mike Myer's Saturday Night Live "SPROCKETS" host character "Dieter" !!!

And then, in the third act, the actor who plays the villain "Jack Manningham" threatens his wife Bella (the woman being "gas-lighted") by suggesting that he will hurt their "little dog" if she does not come downstairs immediately to face him....we all cracked-up after the director whispered "...and Toto, too!", and after I replied with, "...and YOUR LITTLE DOG, TOO!"  Then I said to the fellow who plays "Jack", "Man, they're (the audience) gonna HATE you at this point if they don't already, when you start going after that little dog!"

We had a great time... I'll keep y'all updated!

Thanks

Johnny D  ;D

Written By: Jack Wilson on 12/14/04 at 8:35 pm

Ahh ssomeone plays me in this plaY? Do they sing about Bilyl ordering gyros and hearing it through the graveyeard? ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/15/04 at 7:44 am

Hey Johnny, break a leg, and have a great holiday, too. I expect to see a ton of parodies posted when you return!  ;) 8)

Written By: Phil Nelson on 12/19/04 at 6:01 pm

As the king of taking time off, I understand and will look forward to reading your parodies again.  I still have a lot of ideas written down, but haven't gotten around to writing them.  I too will be back sometime soon, so watch out!

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/19/04 at 7:33 pm

Jeez, Johnny DD, many of us routinely have absences that last longer than I'll bet your "sabbatical" will. But enjoy your time off and welcome back in advance. Same goes for Phil Nelson, Arwen, and anyone else who takes the phone off the hook and disappears for a while. We miss you more than we let on.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Arwen on 12/19/04 at 11:55 pm

Jeez, Johnny DD, many of us routinely have absences that last longer than I'll bet your "sabbatical" will. But enjoy your time off and welcome back in advance. Same goes for Phil Nelson, Arwen, and anyone else who takes the phone off the hook and disappears for a while. We miss you more than we let on.

xoxox
Spaff

I just noticed your little quote under your avatar, Spaff...

I thought we'd agreed to keep that to ourselves... :-[

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/20/04 at 12:16 am

Thanks Jack, Agrimorfee, Phil, and Spaff. 

Had my first blocking rehearsal Sunday afternoon (for you non-theatrical folks out there, "blocking" refers to the director's instructions to the actors about where to stand, walk, and position themselves at each point throughout a given scene) - it went very well - I've got a lot of lines to learn, and many rehearsals ahead of me over the next couple of months - but it's a gas, I'm having a blast.  I'll be around, just not posting parodies or commenting very much.  But I'll still do the medals and participate in the contests!

Johnny D

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/20/04 at 8:25 pm

I just noticed your little quote under your avatar, Spaff...

I thought we'd agreed to keep that to ourselves... :-[

OK, that made me laugh.

Now that the elf's out of the bag, let's just say, folks, that they don't call Arwen a "wood elf" for nothin'.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Arwen on 12/20/04 at 9:40 pm

...let's just say, folks, that they don't call Arwen a "wood elf" for nothin'.

Holy Big Timber, Spaffman!

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/20/04 at 11:41 pm

OK, that made me laugh.

Now that the elf's out of the bag, let's just say, folks, that they don't call Arwen a "wood elf" for nothin'.

xoxox
Spaff

I quite agree with your assessment, Spaff.  She gets my xylem phloem, too.

Written By: Arwen on 12/21/04 at 12:00 am

I quite agree with your assessment, Spaff.  She gets my xylem phloem, too.

I don't even know what you just said.  :-\\

I worry that "Holy Big Timber, Spaffman!" will not be an appropriate response.

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/21/04 at 12:48 am

I worry that "Holy Big Timber, Spaffman!" will not be an appropriate response.

No worries. I get that reaction every time.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/21/04 at 9:02 am

xoxox
Spaff

You wood.  ;)

Written By: Arwen on 12/21/04 at 12:29 pm

xoxox
Spaff

Holy Inflated Ego, Spaffman!!  (like I'm one to talk... ;))

Check for new replies or respond here...