inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What would you do if...

Written By: Gonfunko on 12/22/04 at 2:50 am

You found yourself listed in a lyrics site? I Googled Gonfunko earlier, only to find myself on "songmeanings.com". Noiw, this would be understandable, if I had ever even heard of the site before. But, I haven't, and was quite shocked to find myself there, apparently posted by God knows who. To put it bluntly, it kinda creeps me out, and gets me upset at whoever posted it. Whether it was a joke of some sort or if someone else has a band called Gonfunko, I don't like it. I already used the "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of the page - now I'll just have to see what happens. Anyway, what would you do if you found yourself in this situation? BTW, the page in question is found here.

Subject: Re: What would you do if...

Written By: philbo on 12/22/04 at 6:31 am

It looks to me like songmeanings.net is a fairly new submission site that's picked up its list of authors by a general trawl of band names from the 'net, then gets people to register in order to post their reviews.  Must admit, what I'd probably do in these circumstances is register (using a unique email address to see if they're a spam affiliate) and submit glowing reviews of my stuff, so if anyone follows the "Gonfunko" link, they're going to think you're the best thing since sliced gerbils.

Written By: Arwen on 12/22/04 at 9:48 am

I'm confused as to whether they've referenced any of your work...or if they happen to have the same name as you?

Written By: Gonfunko on 12/22/04 at 12:46 pm

It looks to me like songmeanings.net is a fairly new submission site that's picked up its list of authors by a general trawl of band names from the 'net, then gets people to register in order to post their reviews.  Must admit, what I'd probably do in these circumstances is register (using a unique email address to see if they're a spam affiliate) and submit glowing reviews of my stuff, so if anyone follows the "Gonfunko" link, they're going to think you're the best thing since sliced gerbils.

I kinda like that idea...maybe it'll give me a chance to use feelfree2spamme@yahoo.com. :) In response to SA's comment, it seems as though they just have my name, which seems strange since
1) I didn't register
2) To the best of my knowledge, no one else on earth uses "Gonfunko" (This is based on extensive Googling)

Written By: Arwen on 12/22/04 at 1:16 pm

In response to SA's comment, it seems as though they just have my name, which seems strange since
1) I didn't register
2) To the best of my knowledge, no one else on earth uses "Gonfunko" (This is based on extensive Googling)

But it IS possible that they simply thought of the name, coincidentally, on their own?  I guess I just don't get why you're mad.  It's a lot like on amiright when people get mad if someone parodies a song that they've already parodied...not with the same lyrics...just the same idea...

I don't get what the big deal is.

Written By: Gonfunko on 12/22/04 at 1:25 pm

But it IS possible that they simply thought of the name, coincidentally, on their own?  I guess I just don't get why you're mad.  It's a lot like on amiright when people get mad if someone parodies a song that they've already parodied...not with the same lyrics...just the same idea...

I don't get what the big deal is.

Basically, I'm just upset because I wasn't in any way notified of being added to the site. While it is possible that someon else thought up "Gonfunko", I've been using it for quite a few years in various creative pursuits after 1989 - hence, it is automatically copyrighted to me, assuming I understand the law correctly. If anyone could clarify the situation, I would appreciate it.  :)

Written By: philbo on 12/22/04 at 6:04 pm

But they're not using the name: they have it as an entry in a database (against which they have no data, though) - I'd say it's reasonable to assume the "Gonfunko" that has turned up there *is* you, probably from some bot or other trawling CD sales... after all, you do have some CDs advertised on your site, don't you?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 12/22/04 at 7:08 pm

Egads! I just googled 'Jake A Ralphing' and there's something about me in:

http://www.zuvio.com/loading.cgi?page=http://www.seishin-trans.com/misheard-song-lyrics.htm

Except I can't get into the website! I just sit there waitign to get in while it loads. The suspense is killing me!
I'm going craaazy! :D

Written By: Gonfunko on 12/23/04 at 11:48 pm

But they're not using the name: they have it as an entry in a database (against which they have no data, though) - I'd say it's reasonable to assume the "Gonfunko" that has turned up there *is* you, probably from some bot or other trawling CD sales... after all, you do have some CDs advertised on your site, don't you?

That's correct. I'd assume they would use a bot of some sort, though, since searching the Internet for CDs would be a very tedious task...

Written By: ChuckyG on 12/24/04 at 12:40 pm

You found yourself listed in a lyrics site? I Googled Gonfunko earlier, only to find myself on "songmeanings.com". Noiw, this would be understandable, if I had ever even heard of the site before. But, I haven't, and was quite shocked to find myself there, apparently posted by God knows who. To put it bluntly, it kinda creeps me out, and gets me upset at whoever posted it. Whether it was a joke of some sort or if someone else has a band called Gonfunko, I don't like it. I already used the "Report Abuse" link at the bottom of the page - now I'll just have to see what happens. Anyway, what would you do if you found yourself in this situation? BTW, the page in question is found here.

it's a spam-built type of site, where they troll the web looking for band names.  Clearly they stumbled on this site looking for band names, and their automated bot pulled your name from the site.  I wonder in William Tong is in there, that would be pretty funny.  I wonder what the meaning of his songs are?

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/27/04 at 10:50 pm

I say enjoy the free publicity.

I Google my stuff occasionally and get a real kick out of where it turns up. For example, "Why's Madonna Kissing Britney Spears?" (my parody of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus") has made it onto a number of "search" sites under the heading IMPORTANT MADONNA KISSING BRITNEY RESOURCES. (As if either that topic or my parody of it is important.)

And adult sites, apparently, work overtime trolling the web for anything remotely related to their subscribers' fetishes. My parody "The Wreck of Ben Affleck and J. Lo" shows up in Google listings for adult sites (e.g., "j.lo naked celebrity paparazzi pix"), as does "Nuttin' But Spam" (thanks to the line "Kinky housewives' warm regards").

Oh, what a tangled Web we weave.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Will Agrudis Glover on 12/29/04 at 4:54 am

the same kinda thing happened 2 me!  i searched the net for Agrudis and i found tons of sites I've never head of, and since I made up Agrudis, i see no reason y it shud b anywhere else!

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/30/04 at 10:19 am

With my little knowledge of public use laws, since you are on the 'net with your name, it is public and your name can be used it whatever way, as long as there's no libelous statements. It's kind of like how Jennifer Lopez can't sue someone for mentioning her name in news articles all of the time, because she herself has thrust her name out into the public.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 12/30/04 at 8:33 pm

Well, I don't know WTF happened with that zuvio site but I stupidly was tricked into making zuvio.com homepage.... on my mum's work computer. Just in case this results in serious ordure, would anyone know how to change the homepage back to the original?
:-\\
Worried.

Written By: Spaff.com on 12/30/04 at 10:48 pm

would anyone know how to change the homepage back to the original?

If you have Internet Explorer, do this:
- Go to the page that SHOULD be the home page
- Click the IE "Tools" dropdown
- Select "Internet Options"
- In the "General" tab, in "Home page," click "Use Current"
- Click "Apply"
- Wire me $50 or I'll tell your mom.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/01/05 at 4:07 am

Thanks a right doo-hicky Spaff! I simply bastardised your method by clicking on 'Use Default' on the imposter site as I'd forgotten what the original one was, though I couldn't have clambered up the tree without the step-up first.

... :o

PS. Sorry, I took the Disney route and told my mummy first, thus clearing me of my guilty conscience and breaking the blackmaiing bond that you were dangling over my head.
*raspberries* :P

Written By: SM mike on 01/21/05 at 6:39 pm

hey, I'm a member of the SongMeanings staff and I just stumbled upon this while doing some google research.  We're not a spam trolling site.  We're actually one of the few lyrics sites that is not flooded with ads.  A user apparently submitted you as an artist.  All of our content is user submitted. We don't run any bots.  If you would like to submit some lyrics for yourself, I already have added your url as the official artist url.  the link will display once there are some lyrics up. 

t's a spam-built type of site, where they troll the web looking for band names.  Clearly they stumbled on this site looking for band names, and their automated bot pulled your name from the site.  I wonder in William Tong is in there, that would be pretty funny.  I wonder what the meaning of his songs are?

wow, talk about talking out of your ass...sorry but reading stuff like that about a site you help run can be quite irritating.  by the way we're .net not .com

Mike
SongMeanings Staff

Check for new replies or respond here...