inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I made a book of my parodies

Written By: EthanM on 01/17/05 at 4:26 pm

I found a site a while ago (lulu.com) which allows people to publish books without any money coming from the pocket of the author (or the difficulty of getting traditional publishers to even read a manuscript) but at the time i didn't really have any idea what to write a book about so nothing came of that for a while. Then, while i should have been working on my paper in the begiining of last november i started writing a book and i've written about seventy pages of that in the last few months. I'm not anywhere done with that ands i'm a little writer's blocked so i decided to make a compilation of my own parodies. I thought that would be pretty easy but it's not. It's taken a couple of days simply to cut and paste the songs into the document (Mostly using phil's Amiright viewer but occasionally from a document i wrote around Christmas with songs i had originally intended to save for the novel I'm working on). I think it might take about a week to finish proofreading and rewriting and labeling all 100 parodies i picked for this book and the introduction for the book and each chapter might take a little while as well. When i'm finally done it should be available on lulu.com for a little over ten dollars as a paperback book or much cheaper as an E-book. Wish me luck and feel free to spread the word to people you know when it's finished.

Subject: Re: I'm making a book of my parodies

Written By: philbo on 01/17/05 at 5:29 pm

Best of luck, Ethan - let me know if the royalty cheques start rolling in, as I've already god the odd hundred or so in book form (well, as a MS word document, anyway).  I keep meaning to update it with some more recent stuff, but haven't got round to it.

Written By: Scathe on 01/17/05 at 5:38 pm

;D
Cool idea, Ethan.  AmIRight parodies in a handy travel size.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 01/17/05 at 6:04 pm

yeah  go for it as the others have said!!!!

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/18/05 at 7:55 am

I found a site a while ago (lulu.com) which allows people to publish books without any money coming from the pocket of the author (or the difficulty of getting traditional publishers to even read a manuscript)

Hmm. What's the catch? ???

Written By: EthanM on 01/18/05 at 9:19 am

they get 25% of the royalties for the book. So if i give myself a dollar a book they get 25 cents a book; if i give myself 2 dollars per book they get 50 cents per book sold and so on. For example, if the book was 200 pages and i wanted to make 2 dollars per book then the book would cost $8.53 to produce plus 2 bucks for me plus 50 cents for them and it would cost $10.93 plus shipping and handling

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/18/05 at 9:53 am

I found a site a while ago (lulu.com) which allows people to publish books without any money coming from the pocket of the author (or the difficulty of getting traditional publishers to even read a manuscript) but at the time i didn't really have any idea what to write a book about so nothing came of that for a while. Then, while i should have been working on my paper in the begiining of last november i started writing a book and i've written about seventy pages of that in the last few months. I'm not anywhere done with that ands i'm a little writer's blocked so i decided to make a compilation of my own parodies. I thought that would be pretty easy but it's not. It's taken a couple of days simply to cut and paste the songs into the document (Mostly using phil's Amiright viewer but occasionally from a document i wrote around Christmas with songs i had originally intended to save for the novel I'm working on). I think it might take about a week to finish proofreading and rewriting and labeling all 100 parodies i picked for this book and the introduction for the book and each chapter might take a little while as well. When i'm finally done it should be available on lulu.com for a little over ten dollars as a paperback book or much cheaper as an E-book. Wish me luck and feel free to spread the word to people you know when it's finished.

you could also look at cafepress.com they have a similar program.

Written By: EthanM on 01/18/05 at 10:32 am

i looked at cafepress.com and i think lulu is a little better for books. Cafepress charges one more cent per page to print which would add about two dollars to the price of the book

Written By: EthanM on 01/18/05 at 3:06 pm

It's going a lot faster that expected i just finished all my proofreading and rewriting

Written By: EthanM on 01/18/05 at 8:37 pm

I put the book online this is the address:

http://www.lulu.com/content/101158

Written By: jreuben on 01/19/05 at 6:48 am

I put the book online this is the address:

http://www.lulu.com/content/101158

Good luck!  I'm curious to see how you do.

Subject: Re: I made a book of my parodies

Written By: EthanM on 01/19/05 at 10:50 am

my revised version is up the link still works

Check for new replies or respond here...