inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chucky - why are trade-mark symbols and long-hyphens appearing as " ? "

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/28/05 at 2:00 pm

Chucky,

It now looks like long-hyphen characters and also trade-mark symbols (the R-in-a-circle symbol) are showing up as question marks ... can this be fixed?  It makes a lot of parody titles and parody lines look wrong because of the bogus question marks.

Thanks

JD

Subject: Re: Chucky - why are trade-mark symbols and long-hyphens appearing as " ? "

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/28/05 at 7:52 pm

Chucky,

It now looks like long-hyphen characters and also trade-mark symbols (the R-in-a-circle symbol) are showing up as question marks ... can this be fixed?  It makes a lot of parody titles and parody lines look wrong because of the bogus question marks.

Thanks

JD

probably because those are not standard html, and I've been using Firefox when I approve parodies, so they get munged.  I guess I'll have to hold my nose and use IE when I approve parodies.

Subject: Re: Chucky - why are trade-mark symbols and long-hyphens appearing as " ? "

Written By: K1chyd on 01/29/05 at 7:12 am

...those parodies will no longer flow the way they should and their punctuation won't make any sense...

So you´re trying to tell us that your parodies usually make sense?

(Just kidding)  :D

Subject: ?????s

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/29/05 at 7:29 am

Okay ... I'm hoping that somehow all these question-marks can be returned to the long-hyphens (etc.), because some folks, like me, like to use the long-hyphens freely in our parodies to notate pacing ... I see now that many, many of my parodies on AmiRight now are riddled with question-marks where there used to be long-hyphens, makiing them look extremely strange and hard-to-read ... please tell me you can fix this!

I have used so many long-hyphens throughout so many of my parodies that if they can't be restored from the bogus question-marks that now appear in their former places, those parodies will no longer flow the way they should and their punctuation won't make any sense ...  :\'(

I was trying to work out how to phrase the exact same question, and Johnny's done it perfectly - I second this request

Written By: philbo on 02/05/05 at 1:11 pm

I dunno... I'd rather tell people to turn off the "mangle your character set" feature in MS Word than be forced into using an MS product to cope with the output of another MS product

Or do what I do: write all your parodies in simple, plain text... none of this word processing nonsense :)

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/05/05 at 4:06 pm

How does a simple ellipsis or em-dash qualify as 'word processing nonsense'?

Written By: philbo on 02/05/05 at 4:52 pm

How does a simple ellipsis or em-dash qualify as 'word processing nonsense'?

When you type three dots in Word, it changes it to an ellipsis character code, which is not part of standard ASCII; ditto "smart quotes", hyphens, apostrophes, etc.  What you end up with is something which Word is happy with, but not all other software knows how to interpret.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/05/05 at 6:49 pm

When you type three dots in Word, it changes it to an ellipsis character code, which is not part of standard ASCII; ditto "smart quotes", hyphens, apostrophes, etc.  What you end up with is something which Word is happy with, but not all other software knows how to interpret.

so that's what happens (I always have that problem) - so Phil, what do you mean by simple plain text?  do you mean another word processing program, or using simple text within Word, or is there another canvas to type on that I don't know about?

Written By: AdamEcc on 02/05/05 at 7:53 pm

so that's what happens (I always have that problem) - so Phil, what do you mean by simple plain text?  do you mean another word processing program, or using simple text within Word, or is there another canvas to type on that I don't know about?

Use Wordpad or Notepad.  None of that dodgy Word formatting junk

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/05/05 at 8:57 pm

incase anyone is wondering, these special codes, while appearing fine on Windwos boxes, will appear wrong on other platforms (Linux, Unix, Macintosh, Palm Pilots, etc).  There are standards for web publishing, and by not following them, Microsoft breaks the functionality of other browsers.  Firefox/Netscape also won't display these characters now too.

I'm going to write a filter for the parodies to try and spot this stuff and warn people when editing their parodies.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 06/10/05 at 10:41 am

Resurrecting this old conversation to find out how ChuckyG feels these days about getting requests to delete parodies with funky characters so they can be submitted...

I tend to use ellipsis dots quite a bit and I used to import my parodies directly from Word without re-editing... so I have a bunch of old parodies that have a confusing abundance of '?'s in place of what once were '...'s.

Ideally, I'd like to delete and re-submit a bunch of them, but I don't want to create an annoyance or undue workload...

? ? ?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/05 at 12:04 pm

Resurrecting this old conversation to find out how ChuckyG feels these days about getting requests to delete parodies with funky characters so they can be submitted...

I tend to use ellipsis dots quite a bit and I used to import my parodies directly from Word without re-editing... so I have a bunch of old parodies that have a confusing abundance of '?'s in place of what once were '...'s.

Ideally, I'd like to delete and re-submit a bunch of them, but I don't want to create an annoyance or undue workload...

? ? ?

probably easier to resubmit them.  preferably on a Friday or Thursday, since those tend to be the slower days.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 06/10/05 at 12:36 pm

Ok, great.

But as for the old versions -- would you prefer that I collect all the links together and PM you with one big deletion request, or would you prefer that I spread them out over time? 

Or would you rather I justt left the old ones up so you don't have to deal with deleting them at all?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/05 at 1:19 pm

Ok, great.

But as for the old versions -- would you prefer that I collect all the links together and PM you with one big deletion request, or would you prefer that I spread them out over time? 

Or would you rather I justt left the old ones up so you don't have to deal with deleting them at all?

doesn't matter if you send them all at once or a couple at a time.  Probably better to pull the old ones down.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 06/10/05 at 1:58 pm

Ok, cool.  Thanks much, sir.

Check for new replies or respond here...