inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Odd Question, can Someone Help Me

Written By: skittlesking on 01/29/05 at 7:53 am

I've been writing parodies since I was like 9 and I want to record them.  How do you guys get instrumental background music that I won't get in trouble for?  I am not interested in making money, so it will be for free release, if anyone wants a song list I can provide it--can anyone help.

Subject: Re: Odd Question, can Someone Help Me

Written By: Gonfunko on 01/29/05 at 9:30 am

I've been writing parodies since I was like 9 and I want to record them.  How do you guys get instrumental background music that I won't get in trouble for?  I am not interested in making money, so it will be for free release, if anyone wants a song list I can provide it--can anyone help.

I'm in a similar boat.....what I do is simply voice-over the original recording. I'm not really sure if this is legal or not, but here's why I figure it probably is or should be:

1) I'm not making any profit - no commercial interest
2) The songs appeal to different audiences - you wouldn't download a parody instead of an original song you were looking for, so the artist isn't losing any money.
3) Parodies are protected under fair use
4) Soundclick let me upload them, and they supposedly vigorously screen for copyright violations.

If anyone has other suggestions and/or can confirm the legality or lack thereof of my method, i'd be interested in hearing more.

Written By: EthanM on 01/29/05 at 11:15 am

i think the best route to go if you don't have an actual band is midi files. There are a bunch of free midi sites out there www.musicrobot.com links to a lot of free midi sites and www.mididelight.com has a pretty big selection of midis and probably the most free ones of new songs anywhere.

Written By: Gonfunko on 01/29/05 at 11:22 am

i think the best route to go if you don't have an actual band is midi files. There are a bunch of free midi sites out there www.musicrobot.com links to a lot of free midi sites and www.mididelight.com has a pretty big selection of midis and probably the most free ones of new songs anywhere.

The trouble with midi's is that they sound nothing like the actual song. Another problem I've run into is that the midi's for longer songs are nearly always cut off before the end of the real song.  >:(

Written By: skittlesking on 01/30/05 at 12:22 am

I'll try the midis, they dont sound the best, but it says free domain on that midi delight, and they are close enough to work. . .thanx, I'll try to share them here if I get to recording them using midis. . .

Thanx,
David

Written By: Leo Jay on 01/31/05 at 1:13 pm

....what I do is simply voice-over the original recording...

How do you prevent the original vocal from overlapping?

Written By: Gonfunko on 01/31/05 at 1:32 pm

How do you prevent the original vocal from overlapping?

You can't, so I just sorta have to overpower it....

Written By: jreuben on 01/31/05 at 1:39 pm

You can't, so I just sorta have to overpower it....

Are there problems on sites like soundclick with using karaoke CDs for the background music?

Written By: Gonfunko on 01/31/05 at 3:47 pm

Are there problems on sites like soundclick with using karaoke CDs for the background music?

Not sure, but seeing as how they let me upload pretty lame voice-overs, karaoke CDs should be fine.

Written By: Brian B on 01/31/05 at 7:30 pm

I'm in a similar boat.....what I do is simply voice-over the original recording. I'm not really sure if this is legal or not, but here's why I figure it probably is or should be:

1) I'm not making any profit - no commercial interest
2) The songs appeal to different audiences - you wouldn't download a parody instead of an original song you were looking for, so the artist isn't losing any money.
3) Parodies are protected under fair use
4) Soundclick let me upload them, and they supposedly vigorously screen for copyright violations.

If anyone has other suggestions and/or can confirm the legality or lack thereof of my method, i'd be interested in hearing more.

Using a recording other than one you create yourself is definitely illegal.  You may not get into trouble over it, but it is illegal.  There's no money in it for prosecuting you, but still not a good idea.  You have to get permission to do just about anything with someone else's recordings.  Midi's can also be a problem if they are not in public domain.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/01/05 at 6:28 pm

Yeah, I'm going to try the midi idea-since they were posted in public domain. . .See the legal issue is what I was concerned about, I didn't want to get myself in trouble.  Not that I would ever necessairly have charges brought upon me, but I'm cautious about anything with thhe music industry now.

Written By: EthanM on 02/01/05 at 10:33 pm

i'm just curious - have you ever submitted any lyrics to amiright?

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/04/05 at 6:09 pm

As long as you don't sell whatever music you stole for your parody, or get compensated to perform it (like at a bar, or an online music service--but I wouldn't worry about a local talent contest), it's all cool.

Written By: skittlesking on 02/05/05 at 7:06 am

i'm just curious - have you ever submitted any lyrics to amiright?

No, but I plan to after awhile.  I have 46 songs and counting, but none released, I'm thinking I may have time for one a week, don't know where to submit them though, but I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Written By: EthanM on 02/09/05 at 10:18 am

at www.amiright.com there's a llnk on the left that says
"submit a parody"

Written By: bryce87 on 03/09/05 at 5:04 pm

Hi how do you over power the original singer. cause when i go to do mine the original singer is still there.

Bryce

Written By: PRobinson on 03/09/05 at 5:18 pm

Hi how do you over power the original singer. cause when i go to do mine the original singer is still there.

Bryce

you've got to adjust the volume level of the original song track and also the proximity of the speakers to whatever your are recording your vocal into.  But the singer is still going to be there. If your parody lyrics match up PERFECTLY to the OS lyrics the original vocal might not be noticeable, but wherever he's singing something and you are not, it's going to heard.  And if you turn down the OS volume too much the instrumentals you wanted to sing to will be way in the background.  It's a balancing act.

pr

Check for new replies or respond here...