inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People rating unfairly

Written By: Aussie Bloke on 02/08/05 at 5:13 pm

Hi all. Been a while since I last posted in the forums.

Anyhow I've noticed with my parodies and other peoples parodies there are dropkicks out there giving us 1s and no comment. Call me a bad sport but it really is starting to give me the sheeshs >:( because those 1 junkies don't even have the decency to explain why the parody they poorly rated sucks. I get the impression that those people are doing it for the sake of knocking people's scores down but not because of the quality of the parody. Well to be fair I guess not all people who give 1s without rating are like that but the people who are doing it for kicks deserve a bloody good hiding >:(!!!

For example with my "Stubby Shorts (Version 2)" parody of Pat Wilson's "Bop Girl" http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/patwilson2.shtml , I got two 3x5s from two decent Aussie people who know the song and thought it was funny and gave me good comments about it, but some cheesehead gave me all 1s and not have the decency to give reason >:(! Okay I'm not up myself so to my opinion how funny this parody is depends on one's sense of humour but I should have at least gotten a 3 for pacing from that guy who gave me 1s as I did my fair dinkum best to pace it well. And I'm very certain that that person has not even heard of the original Pat Wilson's "Bop Girl" as this song was a hit mainly in Australia back in 1983 and I've not heard of it charting in America so this isn't a well-known song outside of Australia so that's why I reckon this person is giving me 1s for the sake of knocking scores down. And when I wrote my irate comment below regarding those who give 1s with no comment, I got another set of 1s >:(!!! I bet these people doing this are teenagers who get their jollies out of pissing people off. And I bet I'll probably cop more 1s now that I mention this >:(!!!

Anyhow this is a just an idea I thought of. The webmasters should make it so that it is compulsary that after we rate we leave a comment so we can know who the decent people are and who those 1s bandit dropkicks are as they'll leave a stupid comment. That way there may be less people knocking down scores for hell of it and more fair dinkum raters who give REAL ratings for the parody for its quality.

Sorry to sound like a bad sport and I openly admit I'm not the best parody writer and some of my parodies I thought I did a rotten job on but I've just had it up to here with those cheeseheads who leave all 1s and no comment as to why they gave 1s, they are not fair dinkum raters, they are just stupid immature buttheads who just get their jollies knocking scores down on parodies even if they are really good ones and I just think that is plain disgraceful >:(!

Troy

Subject: Re: People rating unfairly

Written By: EthanM on 02/08/05 at 6:39 pm

I've gotten tons of ones and almost every one has come with no comment

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/08/05 at 10:41 pm

Troy, I actually caught a 1s-guy in the process (called Craig) and gave him 48 hours to explain his actions on my thread, ie. at

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/myfairladysoundtrack0.shtml

Written By: jreuben on 02/09/05 at 8:33 am

Troy,

I think you're giving them way too much credit if you think they read them before giving 1s  :)  I'd just give more attention to the comments.  They're more useful in terms of feedback, and in many cases, pretty funny in themselves.  The votes (to me) are useful in telling how many people hit your song, and give a general idea of how well it went over. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/09/05 at 9:21 am

Yeah, there's been a lot of conversation about this.  Someone giving 1-1-1s is obviously someone just trying to be annoying or childish, so there's no reason to expect them to comment, and no reason to take the rating seriously. 

I used to actually find it more annoying when a perfectly paced or outrageously funny parody got  2s, 3s or 4s.  Then I realized that 2s, 3s and 4s are just given by the same annoying people who would otherwise give me 1s, except they were clever enough to realize that I wouldn't pay the 1s any mind.

So then I realized that any vote less than a 5 is just the vote of some pathetic wannabe who feels threatened by my obvious brillance and just wants to get under my skin.  (Sorry, fellas -- I'm on to you.) 

So now I realize that only 5-5-5s are worth being taken seriously as legitimate votes.

Written By: Arwen on 02/09/05 at 9:51 am

So now I realize that only 5-5-5s are worth being taken seriously as legitimate votes.

LOL!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/09/05 at 6:22 pm

I actually agree with that - unless there's an acknowledged (by the author) pacing problem I either give 555 or don't vote - anything less is seen as criticism, and I find it hard to be critical of stuff someone's put a lot of effort into, when appreciation is subjective anyway, and because I don't think my negative opinion should have any relevance or import.

so I limit my responses to applause, applause with comment, or indifference.

Written By: Armstrong on 02/09/05 at 10:35 pm

i've agreed with your sentiment since WAY BACK in ought 3 when i wrote this parody that i didn't think was very good and it EXPLODED into the top 10 overall for the site... frustrations like this is a hot issue. i suggest you write about it... anyway...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/ninedays2.shtml

Written By: Aussie Bloke on 02/10/05 at 12:18 am

Thanks for putting me onto your parody Armstrong, gave you all 5s for it. Anyhow all the more reason for there be a better voting system which the person voting has to leave a comment so we can tell who's rating fair dinkumly and who's just being a complete wanker wanting to knock our scores down.

Liked how you really gave it to Craig hard Stuart, good onya ;)!

I've also copped some real stupid immature comments on this parody http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/coolio11.shtml from two wankers robert and chris white who unconstructively criticised me, so I responded in a way trying my best to insult them. I bet they were the arsewipes who gave me all 1s too. So there's also the stupid immature buttheads who leave 1s and leave really really stupid unconstructive criticism like those two losers. People like that are just being plain losers. Again whether people find this parody funny or not depends on one's sense of humour, I personally like songs that take the mickey out of ockerism and I find arse related humour hilarious especially the classic tradesman's crack type parodies with plumbers, fridge repairmen, concreters etc... And I admit in that parody my pacing wasn't too good but that was in my early days of writing parodies.

If people give me low scores and good enough reasons for it I would be okay with that but 1s and no comments or stupid brainless comments like "you suck dickk" that just gives me the sheeshs >:(!

Cheers
Troy

Written By: guest on 02/25/05 at 11:51 am

Another case of unfair voting is when the decade is wrong, and some people have nothing better to do than vote ones simply because of that.

Written By: EthanM on 02/25/05 at 11:55 am

i posted 5 songs the other day, and the day after they were on the front page four of those five got hit with a 222 but no comment. I have a feeling they were all by the same person who didn't really read them. As to why, I have no idea.

Written By: Rex on 02/25/05 at 12:44 pm

Taking the wankers out of the equation for a minute, I have a theory that if some people don't like your lyrics and give you a 1 or 2, they just give you the same for pacing even if your pacing is spot on. For my part, I still haven't figured out what do do when I want to rate a parody and am not familiar with the original. The site forces me to rate pacing, so I either have to base my rating on what others have rated, or hunt down the original lyrics and compare - which I'm willing to do sometimes, usually when I really like the parody and want to see how it plays off the original. But I don't have the time to research them all.

Of course, now that I'm on this topic, I've found myself wishing there were more ways to rate than just pacing and funny. I gave a set of lyrics 5's the other day because they were brilliant, but they weren't funny - they were a tribute. It felt odd giving a 5 for "how funny" in that instance.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/25/05 at 2:01 pm

For my part, I still haven't figured out what do do when I want to rate a parody and am not familiar with the original. The site forces me to rate pacing, so I either have to base my rating on what others have rated, or hunt down the original lyrics and compare - which I'm willing to do sometimes, usually when I really like the parody and want to see how it plays off the original. But I don't have the time to research them all.

I can't really judge a parody well if I don't know the original in the first place.  Of course, a parody's lyrics usually have to be at least somewhat humorous on their own terms in order for the parody as a whole to work, but for me, the essence of 'parody' as opposed to just 'humorous songwriting', is the idea of cleverly playing on the theme, lyrics and/or sounds of the original work.  And oftentimes, even looking at the original lyrics on a page isn't enough to give me a real sense of it.  Only occasionally do I ever read parodies of songs I don't know, and when I do, I usually either don't vote, or I give straight 5's if the lyric is funny enough on its face.

I gave a set of lyrics 5's the other day because they were brilliant, but they weren't funny - they were a tribute.

Thanks, by the way.  Funny, I don't even remember doing a tribute recently...  maybe it was one of my oldies?

Written By: bobbypags on 02/25/05 at 2:35 pm

I generally use the "how funny" any way I want to depending on the parody.  In other words, as Rex correctly pointed out, you could have a tribute that is very well-written, but because it wasn't designed to be funny, it isn't.  In a case such as this, I'll interpret the "how funny" vote as "how passionate", "how well-writen" etc.  While most people tend to use the first definition of parody as a comic effect, a parody also is a re-write of the original work; it doesn't necessarily have to be funny.  I just believe that good writing should be rewarded and not penalized just becase the category is limited to "how funny". 

Written By: Rex on 02/25/05 at 4:56 pm

Thanks, by the way.  Funny, I don't even remember doing a tribute recently...  maybe it was one of my oldies?

Guess it had to have been - I certainly can't think of any other explanation!  ;D

Written By: Double E on 02/25/05 at 5:04 pm

Ahh, the One-Guy(s) (not saying that there might not be girls too).

I remember them from way back. Early 2002... well, that's at least when people started writing parodies about it. They might've been around before me too, but I do remember we had lengthy discussions about these One-People back then.

Ah... those were the days.

-E²

Written By: David R. on 02/25/05 at 5:36 pm

I have also had 1-1-1

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/theturtles0.shtml

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/25/05 at 7:19 pm

Everybody who posts on Amiright long enough gets one-bombed...it's almost like an initiation ceremony! As other folks have said, unless comment is left, it's not worth even breaking sweat about...unfortunately, 1's guys love threads like this, coz it gives them a fleeting glimpse of infamy, and makes their sad little lives bearable for a short while. Enjoy this 1s dorks, you is cee-lab-rittys!! :-X

Written By: Step-chan on 02/26/05 at 2:25 pm

I have gotten one's with no comments as well. A response as to why they don't like it
would be nice.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 02/26/05 at 3:02 pm

I break up my time on Amiright into 2 sections: pre-hiatus (my first 35 or so parodies) and post (my next 15 or so and counting). I'm used to getting a lot of ones on songs that I otherwise get 5s on, because I write a lot of political parodies. However, it seems that since I've come back in my post-hiatus time, I've been bombarded with more ones on good, non-political parodies that ever before. Have the one-guys and girls started breeding and making lots of little one-babies to annoy me while I was gone? Or are my parodies just not as good?

Written By: EthanM on 02/26/05 at 3:12 pm

Maybe non-political parodies are more likely too get ones because there arren't as many political parodies anymore.

Written By: Step-chan on 02/26/05 at 3:23 pm

I generally use the "how funny" any way I want to depending on the parody.  In other words, as Rex correctly pointed out, you could have a tribute that is very well-written, but because it wasn't designed to be funny, it isn't.  In a case such as this, I'll interpret the "how funny" vote as "how passionate", "how well-writen" etc.  While most people tend to use the first definition of parody as a comic effect, a parody also is a re-write of the original work; it doesn't necessarily have to be funny.  I just believe that good writing should be rewarded and not penalized just becase the category is limited to "how funny". 

The last parody I wrote "The quest for the Fecal Matter Demo"(Mrs. Butterworth) is kinda like a play/tribute parody about finding Kurt Cobain's FM demo. Probably not the best idea for a parody I've done, but I
wanted to do it anyway(it's a little different than what I normally do, I use anime themes most of the time).
It didn't get good ratings(so far: 2 votes, average rating: Pacing 3, Funny 1, overall 1). No comments were
left either, one person thought it was perfectly paced though; giving it a 5 in pacing(the other gave it
a 1). I tend to make reference parodies alot, so I don't expect everyone to find them funny.
I really like how this one turned out, as it was the most challenging songs I ever did a parody of(I know
there are harder ones than this like Weird Al's "Alberquerque", but I never really did any difficult song parodies before).  Did I spell Weird Al's song wrong? ( I not sure, that's why I asked)

Written By: Step-chan on 02/26/05 at 3:28 pm

Never mind, I checked and I did.
Albuquerque.

Written By: Kim West on 02/26/05 at 3:32 pm

Troy, I actually caught a 1s-guy in the process (called Craig) and gave him 48 hours to explain his actions on my thread, ie. at

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/myfairladysoundtrack0.shtml

I have checked out your example, and I must say that your song seemed pretty cute. And that is coming from someone who has never heard of the original song. If I had heard of the song, then I'd feel more comfortable about submitting a review and voting on it. All I can really say at the moment is that I liked it, it was cute, and to give my regards to Arwen. 

Now, I do not wish to argue Craig's position in the least. If there is such a rule that states an author cannot parody another author, then Craig should have simply reported the matter directly instead of giving the song a low score, and then doing the same for similar songs. He did not wish to do this; instead he wanted people to become upset for whatever reason. Voting maliciously and making snide comments serves no real purpose.

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 02/26/05 at 3:44 pm

Maybe non-political parodies are more likely too get ones because there arren't as many political parodies anymore.

I have done a couple of political parodies, and they have received more votes than any of my standard parodies. The political parodies that I've done seem to draw either ones or fives for the most part.

As to whether there's less political parodies coming out, well, perhaps pranksters are getting tired of picking on political songs. Pick on one group long enough and soon the ones and the snide comments lose their sting. Pick on songs from authors that normally get fives and then you might see some fireworks. I'm not saying that is what is really happening, but it is at least a possibility. Of course what do I know, I'm still relatively new to this place.

Kim.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/26/05 at 8:08 pm

I have checked out your example, and I must say that your song seemed pretty cute. And that is coming from someone who has never heard of the original song. If I had heard of the song, then I'd feel more comfortable about submitting a review and voting on it. All I can really say at the moment is that I liked it, it was cute, and to give my regards to Arwen. 

Now, I do not wish to argue Craig's position in the least. If there is such a rule that states an author cannot parody another author, then Craig should have simply reported the matter directly instead of giving the song a low score, and then doing the same for similar songs. He did not wish to do this; instead he wanted people to become upset for whatever reason. Voting maliciously and making snide comments serves no real purpose.

Kim.

Thanks, Kim, for your endorsement.  Yes there is a rule, but the rule was obviously created to stop people (like Craig, ironically) from venting their inner demons in vitriolic parodies that attack other authors.  Obviously.

There's not much vitriol in birthday tributes.  Everyone (except Craig) knows that, and that's why noone (except Craig) would argue the point 

Written By: Kim West on 02/26/05 at 9:30 pm

Thanks, Kim, for your endorsement.  Yes there is a rule, but the rule was obviously created to stop people (like Craig, ironically) from venting their inner demons in vitriolic parodies that attack other authors.  Obviously.

There's not much vitriol in birthday tributes.  Everyone (except Craig) knows that, and that's why noone (except Craig) would argue the point 

I can see the usefulness in such a rule when it comes to authors going after each other's throats. It makes sense because people don't want to read a bunch of childish attempts at belittling follow authors.

I remember seeing all of the various song tributes for Arwen. I thought it was a rather nice gesture to make, and I am glad that the rule was not enacted. Protecting fellow authors is one thing, but it would seem ridiculous to enforce that same rule to punish those who only wish to honor their own. Obviously Craig could not argue his point because he really had no point to begin with.

Kim. 

Written By: Double E on 02/27/05 at 2:38 pm

That rule about no parodies about other autors was originally designed to prevent attack parodeis, if I remember correctly. It was broadened so we didn't seem too much like a big cult. Or something like that.

-E²

Written By: Rex on 02/27/05 at 4:46 pm

...if I remember correctly. It was broadened so we didn't seem too much like a big cult.

It's time for you to come to the reeducation center.

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/28/05 at 12:33 pm

That rule about no parodies about other autors was originally designed to prevent attack parodeis, if I remember correctly. It was broadened so we didn't seem too much like a big cult. Or something like that.

-E²

Where are these rules to be found anyway?  I recall trying to find some when I first started posting.

Written By: jreuben on 02/28/05 at 12:33 pm

Where are these rules to be found anyway?  I recall trying to find some when I first started posting.

I think it's on the submission page at the top (above the fields you fill in)

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/28/05 at 12:38 pm

Oh, fer chrissakes, you're supposed to READ all that stuff?  Actually, I do remember seeing that stuff, it just didn't stick in my head because most of it seemed pretty obvious at the time.

Written By: Kim West on 02/28/05 at 8:04 pm

I think it's on the submission page at the top (above the fields you fill in)

Alright then, I went to the submission page and found the following:

No parodies about other parody authors.
No attack parodies please.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me, but then I noticed another thing that caught my attention:

No corrections.
Once your parody is submitted to the site, you are not allowed to make corrections to it. I also don't allow resubmission of parodies.

I am afraid I have done this to one song I've written. "Books Glorious Books." I redid it and posted the revised version. In fact both the original and changed version exists right now. I did not intend to break any rules, and now I'm not exactly sure what I should do at this moment. I had planned on doing revisions to at least one other song of mine, but now I'm hesitant about breaking any further rules.

Kim.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 7:40 am

I'm currently having problems with this kid called Josh2. I gave him a bit of constructive criticism (and a 333) and he lost his temper with me, started telling me to kiss his ass and has given no less than 4 of my songs 111. What should I do?

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/31/05 at 7:42 am

>:(In regards to recent Comments posts for a variety of recently submitted parodies, may I just ask the general amiright populace to please just chill out and take the collective bugs out of your *sses? :-\\ All this bitching makes this place look like a very uninviting website.

(Ag steps off soapbox)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 9:27 am

I'm currently having problems with this kid called Josh2. I gave him a bit of constructive criticism (and a 333) and he lost his temper with me, started telling me to kiss his a** and has given no less than 4 of my songs 111. What should I do?

Don't sweat it.  If you know it's him/her, and that s/he's just being vindictive, then it doesn't matter. Actually, 111s are always vindictive anyway, so you can pretty much disregard them.

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 9:38 am

Actually, 111s are always vindictive anyway, so you can pretty much disregard them.

I prefer to think of them as "tough love." 

Except for when I leave them for Leo.  Then they are just vindictive. 

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 9:57 am

I prefer to think of them as "tough love." 

Except for when I leave them for Leo.  Then they are just vindictive. 

Bass turd.

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 10:21 am

Bass turd.

:-*

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 10:48 am

Don't sweat it.  If you know it's him/her, and that s/he's just being vindictive, then it doesn't matter. Actually, 111s are always vindictive anyway, so you can pretty much disregard them.

Thanx for the hints, but it's really really annoying because it brings down your average scores, which before now were pretty good. I've since e-mailed him asking him what his problem is, and I am still waiting for a reply

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 10:59 am

Thanx for the hints, but it's really really annoying because it brings down your average scores, which before now were pretty good. I've since e-mailed him asking him what his problem is, and I am still waiting for a reply

Yeah, it's annoying, but really, s/he has the right to rate it as s/he wishes, whether out of spite or not.  After all, what do you expect him/her to say? 

"I rated you 1-1-1 because the pacing bore no resemblance to the OS, it was not funny in the least, and overall, reading it was simply a miserable experience". 

Or,

"Actually, they were really fine parodies, but honestly, I was terribly hurt by your 3-3-3 rating, and my retaliatory ratings were the only responses that were available to me at the time, given my level of emotional immaturity.  I trust that in time, I will become wiser and more mature, and it is my hope that I will be better equipped to respond to criticism in the future."

;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 11:07 am

Yeah, it's annoying, but really, s/he has the right to rate it as s/he wishes, whether out of spite or not.  After all, what do you expect him/her to say? 

"I rated you 1-1-1 because the pacing bore no resemblance to the OS, it was not funny in the least, and overall, reading it was simply a miserable experience". 

Or,

"Actually, they were really fine parodies, but honestly, I was terribly hurt by your 3-3-3 rating, and my retaliatory ratings were the only responses that were available to me at the time, given my level of emotional immaturity.  I trust that in time, I will become wiser and more mature, and it is my hope that I will be better equipped to respond to criticism in the future."

;)

Fair point  :-\\

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 11:23 am

;)

And we all know that Leo is the only one who is smart enough to throw something like THAT together, so...

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 11:25 am

Fair point  :-\\

For him/her, the juice isn't in giving the '1-1-1'... it's in knowing you're going to be annoyed by the '1-1-1'.

Peace.

;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 2:02 pm

For him/her, the juice isn't in giving the '1-1-1'... it's in knowing you're going to be annoyed by the '1-1-1'.

Peace.

;)

Thanx, Leo. BTW, Have you got any parodies on AmIRight?

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 2:20 pm

Thanx, Leo. BTW, Have you got any parodies on AmIRight?

In a moment of complete serioiusness...which is rare for me...I'd say that Leo's parodies are some of the very best on the site...you should definitely check them out... :)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 2:35 pm

In a moment of complete serioiusness...which is rare for me...I'd say that Leo's parodies are some of the very best on the site...you should definitely check them out... :)

What are they called? And which songs are they parodies of?

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 2:55 pm

Well, I was going to give you a link to his author page...but my computer has a heart attack every time I try to visit amiright while I'm at work... >:(

Here's a link to the author page...find his name there and then you'll have a list of all of his work...

www.amiright.com/parody/authors

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 2:58 pm

Well, I was going to give you a link to his author page...but my computer has a heart attack every time I try to visit amiright while I'm at work... >:(

Here's a link to the author page...find his name there and then you'll have a list of all of his work...

www.amiright.com/parody/authors

:o Blimey, I haven't got time to read through all of those. It would appear, just at a glance, that he has the same sort of song choice as me, most past 2000 by pop artists who charted highly in the UK. I'll check it out some time...

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 3:08 pm

:o Blimey, I haven't got time to read through all of those. It would appear, just at a glance, that he has the same sort of song choice as me, most past 2000 by pop artists who charted highly in the UK. I'll check it out some time...

Might want to look again...

I honestly don't think Leo knows any songs that were released after 1975... ;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 3:20 pm

You mean apart from Objection, Sk8r Boi, Breathless, Die Another Day, I'm Your Angel, All The Things She Said, I'm Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman, It Wasn't Me, It's Raining Men, So Young, My Heart Will Go On, Complicated, Whenever Wherever, Fallin', Radio, I'm With You, I'm Gonna Getcha Good!, Life Goes On, Game Of Love and You Learn? Yep, He clearly has no idea about songs past 1975

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 3:23 pm

You mean apart from Objection, Sk8r Boi, Breathless, Die Another Day, I'm Your Angel, All The Things She Said, I'm Not A Girl Not Yet A Woman, It Wasn't Me, It's Raining Men, So Young, My Heart Will Go On, Complicated, Whenever Wherever, Fallin', Radio, I'm With You, I'm Gonna Getcha Good!, Life Goes On, Game Of Love and You Learn? Yep, He clearly has no idea about songs past 1975

I was appalled to notice, just the other day, that there's a Leo out there.  But mine are listed under Leo Jay.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 3:24 pm

I was appalled to notice, just the other day, that there's a Leo out there.  But mine are listed under Leo Jay.

...oops :-[ :-[ :-[

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 3:29 pm

...I see what you mean (sorry, i was looking at parodies by 'Leo' not 'Leo Jay'. Still, Leo Jay's managed to do a parody of Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean', which was from 1983, wasn't it?..

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/31/05 at 3:36 pm

Awwww, thanks bass turd.

DAK, you might want to check out some of the clever selections of our fair elf as well; hers are very clever and consistently hilarious.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 3:44 pm

Awwww, thanks bass turd.

DAK, you might want to check out some of the clever selections of our fair elf as well; hers are very clever and consistently hilarious.

I think i've rated a couple of Arwen's parodies. I know i rated "My pants are too tight". Arwen's a really good parody author, it's just a shame that she doesn't submit parodies more often

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 3:56 pm

I go through phases...

There was a time that I submitted at least a couple a week...building my fan base, you know...

Now that everybody worships the ground I walk on...I try to space them out...so that people appreciate them more... ;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 3:59 pm

I go through phases...

There was a time that I submitted at least a couple a week...building my fan base, you know...

Now that everybody worships the ground I walk on...I try to space them out...so that people appreciate them more... ;)

ah, i see! Still, we have to make do with 2nd-rate rubbish until you bring out another parody. I've gotta say, though, that includes my own

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 4:06 pm

ah, i see! Still, we have to make do with 2nd-rate rubbish until you bring out another parody. I've gotta say, though, that includes my own

Lucky for you, that as a newbie, you have only read a fraction of my work.  You can always check out the rest of my parodies while you wait for inspiration to strike me again...

And...I'll be sure to check your stuff out when I'm at home...like I said before...I generally can't get on the parody site while I'm at work.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 4:10 pm

Lucky for you, that as a newbie, you have only read a fraction of my work.  You can always check out the rest of my parodies while you wait for inspiration to strike me again...

And...I'll be sure to check your stuff out when I'm at home...like I said before...I generally can't get on the parody site while I'm at work.

We're gonna have to get back on topic otherwise we'll have our posts deleted!
Have you ever had any trouble with anyone who's lost their temper with you and gave you 1s or left nasty comments? I have (already!!) I may only have been here a fortnight, but already there are two other parody authors who can't stand me!.. maybe more.. :o

Written By: Arwen on 03/31/05 at 4:25 pm

We're gonna have to get back on topic otherwise we'll have our posts deleted!
Have you ever had any trouble with anyone who's lost their temper with you and gave you 1s or left nasty comments? I have (already!!) I may only have been here a fortnight, but already there are two other parody authors who can't stand me!.. maybe more.. :o

I have gotten plenty of 1s in my day.  I've also made plenty of people mad.  As lovely as you can certainly see that I am...I have to admit that there are people on the site who don't like me.  I could list them here...but I won't. 

I'm here to tell you, though, that there's nothing to stress about.  Especially with the 1s.  Last summer there was a glitch and all of the votes (well, most of the votes) were lost.  There were a lot of people who took it REALLY hard...but as for me, it wasn't a big deal.  Sure, 5s are great...but I appreciate comments the most.  Like Leo said, it's really rare that a 1 giver is going to leave a comment...so...their vote, at least in my book, is moot. 

And...if people are being mean to you in comments...and I find your cause to be worthy...you can bet I'm going to jump in and kick some ass... ;)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 4:30 pm

I have gotten plenty of 1s in my day.  I've also made plenty of people mad.  As lovely as you can certainly see that I am...I have to admit that there are people on the site who don't like me.  I could list them here...but I won't. 

I'm here to tell you, though, that there's nothing to stress about.  Especially with the 1s.  Last summer there was a glitch and all of the votes (well, most of the votes) were lost.  There were a lot of people who took it REALLY hard...but as for me, it wasn't a big deal.  Sure, 5s are great...but I appreciate comments the most.  Like Leo said, it's really rare that a 1 giver is going to leave a comment...so...their vote, at least in my book, is moot. 

And...if people are being mean to you in comments...and I find your cause to be worthy...you can bet I'm going to jump in and kick some a**... ;)

True, very true. I just fancy talking about it coz it makes me feel a bit better. I upset Poopie Longstocking (obviously!), and the other one was Josh2, who I gave some criticism to - and he took it a bit hard. In my opinion, if people can't take criticism, or if they're gonna take it to heart then they should just leave out the 'additional comments' bit. I still can't understand why Josh got upset. He still hasn't replied to my e-mail, but he's definately been on AmIRight today - he's left a couple of new comments.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/31/05 at 5:28 pm

I have no objection to someone voting 1's for the humor factor, but when the pacing is perfect and they lazily click a 1,2 or 3 just because they didn't like the content boils me up. >:(

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 5:31 pm

I have no objection to someone voting 1's for the humor factor, but when the pacing is perfect and they lazily click a 1,2 or 3 just because they didn't like the content boils me up. >:(

I agree. It IS annoying. If people aren't going to use the voting system properly, they may as well not use the site

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 8:38 pm

AHEM, back to the original topic subject. :) " Unfairly " is highly subjective in many cases. Some parodies are so bad they are 111s ( or even worse than that- I don't vote them ). A grudge/spite vote of 111 is irritating I agree. What bothers me more is I have a few parodies that have 6+ votes on them as 444 or better and nearly everyone who COMMENTED left their VOTE in the COMMENT as well. Then you get like a 222 ( with no comment ).

What bothers me even more is that the same OS with just as good of pacing from better known parodists generally do not see that type of vote ( though they will get 111's if it is toilet humor, political or $exual ).

I have seen probably 1000 parodies in the last 2 months and only seen maybe 3 REAL PARODISTS names who left a written 111 vote.

As far as the dilemma on DKTOS but find it funny ( or not ), I generally will come back to the parody and see how the pacing fares. If there are say 4+ 5s on pacing, I will rate it a 5 as well on pacing and go from there on the rest. A few songs that I DKTOS or DRTOS well but find funny I may 555 it anyway because it looks well paced or rhymed.

Everyone has their own opinion of the ratings. Some of the more bizarre votes I have seen are 115, 135, 155, 224, 515 and * GASP * a 551 ( I have received or given the last 3 ). As many have pointed out to me the overall doesn't have to be an average of pacing and funny.

Generally ( though not always ), if I don't give a 555 I will explain my decision on why you got docked a point somewhere along the line. I have given a 312 before and left a lenghty explantion of the decision of the vote of a well known parodist before ( when I first arrived on www.amiright.com ). I did not know that person at all and they did not hold the rating or comment against me.

I never dock people for miscrediting the wrong artist or wrong decade.
I also show no favoritism to any author. If it's your 6th or 600th parody and it's good or bad I will let you know why ( not that you may care ).

Note: Although song " difficulty " is not a voting choice, there are some songs that are VERY difficult to do well and I may up the score on pacing/overall a bit on these parodies.

I find the comments much more interesting and have them always enabled.

I have only one " Unfair " rating: Any parody of the song " A Horse With No Name " almost automatically gets a 555 from me because I detest TOS and NO parody could be worse ( I don't care how poorly paced or unfunny it is, unless you made the topic about $exual abuse ).

Written By: Harmony on 04/21/05 at 10:23 pm

For funny votes, if something makes me smile, it gets a 3, and if it makes me laugh out loud it gets a 4, and if it makes me say "hey guys read this" to one of my friends, then it gets 5.

For pacing, if don't know the song the person is paroding, they just get a 5 for pacing because I don't think its fair to give them less, except if the parody is stupid, then they get a 1.  If I know the song, and I can follow it along, the person gets a 5, and if it makes no sense, it gets a 1.  To me, everything in between is just being anal.

For overall score, I give an avearage of what everybody else gave, so if everybody gave it a bunch of 5s and a couple of 4s and a few 3s, I would give a 3 or 4, or maybe a 5, depending on what everybodies comments says about it.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/06/05 at 6:06 pm

I also show no favoritism to any author. If it's your 6th or 600th parody and it's good or bad I will let you know why ( not that you may care ).

Same thing happened just earlier this week, where I gave the mighty parodying force Spaff.com a 3 for pacing because he'd missed a chorus out, and it caused a public outroar. People couldn't believe that I, a measly peasant was giving Lord Spaff or Parodyville (No disrespect to Spaff by that comment, just a comparison) anything less than 5, even after I had explained why i'd given the vote. Spaff was cool about it, and admitted himself that he couldn't believe the uproar over pacing. The simple fact is that I couldn't give a toss who's parody i'm voting on. Looking back, maybe a 3 was harsh, but giving anything higher would've shown bias, because it wouldn't be fair on the other authors i've given 3s for pacing too, when they've done the same. Thing is, just because i've given the parody 1 lousy mark, it doesn't mean it's a bad parody. I think some people need to follow your advice, Red Ant, and vote for the parody and not the artist (not a stab at anyone, but it does happen often on AmIRight)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/05 at 12:01 pm

Same thing happened just earlier this week, where I gave the mighty parodying force Spaff.com a 3 for pacing because he'd missed a chorus out, and it caused a public outroar. People couldn't believe that I, a measly peasant was giving Lord Spaff or Parodyville (No disrespect to Spaff by that comment, just a comparison) anything less than 5, even after I had explained why i'd given the vote. Spaff was cool about it, and admitted himself that he couldn't believe the uproar over pacing. The simple fact is that I couldn't give a toss who's parody i'm voting on. Looking back, maybe a 3 was harsh, but giving anything higher would've shown bias, because it wouldn't be fair on the other authors i've given 3s for pacing too, when they've done the same. Thing is, just because i've given the parody 1 lousy mark, it doesn't mean it's a bad parody. I think some people need to follow your advice, Red Ant, and vote for the parody and not the artist (not a stab at anyone, but it does happen often on AmIRight)

Everybody understands you're supposed to vote for the parody, DAK - you've completely missed the point. 

The reason so many of us were incredulous that you would dock a parody 40% of its pacing worth (bringing a perfectly-paced parody down to average-pacing level)  for omitting the 2 words "repeat chorus" is that you are the one who has made such a public point of saying how seriously you take the fine detail of voting. 

If you annoint yourself a thoughtful diligent judge of parodies, and suggest that others follow your example  (as you have done) - and then you make an incredible call like that, which nobody agrees with, you lose all your credibility in one shot. 

That's what was so amazing.  Even allowing for your need to be consistent to your own unique personal voting rules, why didn't you give it a 4?  3 is just ridiculous - and it's hard to take any of your voting sermons seriously after that.

I'm just telling you the truth about my reaction to your vote, and the reason for my comment on the thread - because it's obviously different to how you perceived the truth to be  (ie. the fact it was Spaff had nothing to do with it)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/07/05 at 2:30 pm

Everybody understands you're supposed to vote for the parody, DAK - you've completely missed the point.

No I haven't. I feel i've hit the nail on the head. Nobody can deny it goes on, thats the end of the matter.

The reason so many of us were incredulous that you would dock a parody 40% of its pacing worth (bringing a perfectly-paced parody down to average-pacing level) for omitting the 2 words "repeat chorus" is that you are the one who has made such a public point of saying how seriously you take the fine detail of voting.

I have explained this three times already, but i'll do it again. I have rated parodies in the past before where choruses and verses have been missed out. Meaning it is not a full parody. Meaning I can't give it a 5. If I had given Spaff anything higher, it would show bias toward Spaff and therefore it would show disrespect towards the past artists and their parodies. I didn't make any public point. I said that i'm careful of what votes i'm giving to what author as some take the votes very seriously.

If you annoint yourself a thoughtful diligent judge of parodies, and suggest that others follow your example (as you have done) - and then you make an incredible call like that, which nobody agrees with, you lose all your credibility in one shot.

I do not annoint myself a 'thoughtful diligent judge of parodies' and I have certainly not suggested others to follow my example. I'll think that you'll find that in the thread you are obviously talking about, the 'rating parodies' thread I started, I was merely asking other authors how they vote for eachothers parodies as it would interesting to see if their voting guidelines were similar to mine. That's all. I don't ever recall using the words "You SHOULD use these guidelines...". I have lost no credibility, apart from maybe yours.

That's what was so amazing. Even allowing for your need to be consistent to your own unique personal voting rules, why didn't you give it a 4? 3 is just ridiculous - and it's hard to take any of your voting sermons seriously after that.

Fine. If my votes are not to be taken seriously, then why haven't any other authors questioned the votes they have recieved from me since the incident? Obviously, you are the only one who shares this view at this moment, but what'll probably happen is people will read this reply and I will be flooded with posts arguing against me, even though I have every right to defend my votes, which I also was able to justify and explain to a satisfactory standard.

I'm just telling you the truth about my reaction to your vote, and the reason for my comment on the thread - because it's obviously different to how you perceived the truth to be (ie. the fact it was Spaff had nothing to do with it)

Spaff didn't have anything to do with the argument, he was fine with the vote, and to quote him "Dumb Ass Kid explained his vote (which is more than most voters do) and I accept and respect that - despite my cheeky comment". See? If my vote was so shocking, why isn't Spaff himself sending posts like this?

That is as far as I would like to go over the matter. I have explained my vote numerous times (which, truth be told, I shouldn't have had to do in the first place), and I feel there is nothing more to discuss. Any more replies to this post will be ignored as will personal messages.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/07/05 at 10:37 pm

I understand all these points you've made DAK, which is the reason I made my comment above - although I take back the bit about you suggesting others follow your example, bacuse you're right - you've never done that.

I feel you've missed my point, but I also agree that anyone can vote according to any guidelines they choose.  I don't agree with yours at all, so we'll just have to agree to disagree (horrible cliche :-[)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 5:19 am

I understand all these points you've made DAK, which is the reason I made my comment above - although I take back the bit about you suggesting others follow your example, bacuse you're right - you've never done that.

I feel you've missed my point, but I also agree that anyone can vote according to any guidelines they choose.  I don't agree with yours at all, so we'll just have to agree to disagree (horrible cliche :-[)

Sounds good to me, Stu. I respect you a lot as an author, and I would hate us to have any unnecessary negativity between each other about something as silly as what i've gave who for whatever, or the way I vote songs. I agree to disagree! (You're right about the cliche - yuk)

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 5:11 pm

DAK, in my perception, you seem to go out of your way to justify your own high standards and offer negative opinions about the general quality of the work on the site, while at the same time complaining about what you perceive as 'unfair' assessments of your own work.

The other day you gave me a 555 for something and made some comment about how it was one of the few decent parodies you'd seen in a while , which frankly struck me as obnoxious, given the enormous quantity of brilliant work on amiright. 

When a newbie comes on the site and makes a big show of promoting his own work and denigrating the work of others, it's not going to endear him or her to many people.  If you make a bit more effort to be less obnoxious and more supportive of others, you'll probably encounter less hostility.  You don't have to change your 'standards', you just don't have to go out of your way to insult or diminish an author's work, especially when the author's intention and skill are clear.

Of course you're free to think, act and communicate in whatever manner you choose.  Just don't be naive about the kind of reactions you'll provoke.

Hmmm. Right. Let me explain that comment to you. Your parody was the first, I believe to be awarded 555 by me in 3 days. I had read all the other parodies I knew and most of them, were in my opinion, crap/average, some were good, but not many. Like i've said in the past, I only vote on and rate parodies I know well enough to do so. If I don't know the original song, I don't vote on it. Simple. For all I know, there may well have been some really good parodies on the site in those 3 days, but because I didn't KTOS, I didn't vote. because I didn't vote, they went unnoticed, therefore what I'm saying is that your parody was the first good parody that I knew in three days.
Although I respect you highly as a person, Leo, it seems to me that I appear to be the target for your little outbursts. You whinge and whine on about how highly I regard myself and my standards this that and the other, but you're the only one that does. I don't know what it is about me that's upset you and caused you to target me time after time (this is the 3rd or 4th little 'discussion' we've had recently), but I don't particularly like having to justify myself to people.
You make all these remarks and submit all these posts about me, and then when I speak up for myself to tell everybody that I feel i'm being targetted, you start getting upset and e-mailing Chucky to remove threads.
Whatever I have done or said that has upset you i apologize for, but I would like this to be the last discussion I have with you about these (rather petty) issues. if you don't agree with me, fine. You don't have to start going on the way you have been. End of discussion

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 5:27 pm

DAK, I won't argue *much* about this as everyone is entitled to their own vote/opinion/comment on a parody. I would like you to see this thread I started though:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,9890.0.html

Feel free to comment on it.

Also, on funny, we have a much different sense of humor on alot of things which is fine, everyone is different there. Some PARODIES by themselves may not be hilarious, but imagining the people in the parody or the original artist singing the parodied words may be .

Also, " tribute/memorial " type parodies almost always get a 5 for funny on me despite the fact they may not be ( and usually are not ) because it is remembering or honoring someone else ( remember my " Thank You " parody? ). That wasn't hilarious IMO, but a tribute including you and I'm fairly certain you 555d that.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 5:35 pm

DAK, I won't argue *much* about this as everyone is entitled to their own vote/opinion/comment on a parody. I would like you to see this thread I started though:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,9890.0.html

Feel free to comment on it.

Also, on funny, we have a much different sense of humor on alot of things which is fine, everyone is different there. Some PARODIES by themselves may not be hilarious, but imagining the people in the parody or the original artist singing the parodied words may be .

Also, " tribute/memorial " type parodies almost always get a 5 for funny on me despite the fact they may not be ( and usually are not ) because it is remembering or honoring someone else ( remember my " Thank You " parody? ). That wasn't hilarious IMO, but a tribute including you and I'm fairly certain you 555d that.

I seen that thread a few days ago. I felt as though you has explained everything well enough and I didn't really have anything to expand upon. Interesting in that thread, however, is that you brought up giving parodies a 3 for pacing if they're incomplete. This shows that i'm obviously not the only one who feels this way about incomplete parodies. That would've helped my case in the whole stupid "Oh No, Burn DAK He Just Gave Spaff A 3! He Is Devil Spawn! He Highly Regards Himself! Bla bla bla!" thing.
Yes I can remember giving a 555 for that. Maybe, looking back on it now I would've only gave it a 534, but it was just the fact that you posted that song in my first week on AmIRight, and it made me feel welcome. I guess a 555 was just my way of saying thanx.
But still I really wish other people would see things through your logic. You seem to be the only one who understands my sense of judgement, and can accept it without question. Sigh. If only others could be more like that...

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 5:57 pm

I seen that thread a few days ago. I felt as though you has explained everything well enough and I didn't really have anything to expand upon. Interesting in that thread, however, is that you brought up giving parodies a 3 for pacing if they're incomplete. This shows that i'm obviously not the only one who feels this way about incomplete parodies. That would've helped my case in the whole stupid "Oh No, Burn DAK He Just Gave Spaff A 3! He Is Devil Spawn! He Highly Regards Himself! Bla bla bla!" thing.
Yes I can remember giving a 555 for that. Maybe, looking back on it now I would've only gave it a 534, but it was just the fact that you posted that song in my first week on AmIRight, and it made me feel welcome. I guess a 555 was just my way of saying thanx.
But still I really wish other people would see things through your logic. You seem to be the only one who understands my sense of judgement, and can accept it without question. Sigh. If only others could be more like that...

Okay, a few final points. "Incomplete" to me means SERIOUSLY INCOMPLETE as in missing a vital non-chorus(es) or close to half the song ( assuming the rest is perfectly paced ). I would only give a 3 on incompleteness alone but point out that the song is more of a fragment than a parody. Missing a single chorus alone *may* get a 4 from me.

Also, again for me anyway, difficulty on TOS may up pacing/overall a bit

I will not argue that ANYTHING can compromise PACING alone, but giving Spaff a 3 for that WAS a bit harsh on that point.

If he had typed in " repeat chorus " would you have 555d it?

Also, while looking back at my parody you would have given it a 534, " tribute " parodies generally do not see that vote. They personally fall under my " funny exceptions " category ( although I have voted a 515 on one such parody because it was unfunny/depressing ( but not a "slam"- I even recommended it PARODY OF THE YEAR ), but looking back I should have 555d it.

Occasionaly, I do QUESTION your judgement, but I do not ARGUE with it.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 6:12 pm

If he had typed in " repeat chorus " would you have 555d it?

Possibly, but at the same time, in keeping up in consistency with repeating choruses and verses, I may also have gave it 545 for repeating the chorus, again, the same point raised before about having to be consistent. Giving Spaff a full 5 for humour when he's repeated a chorus wouldn't be fair if i'd down marked other parodists for the same thing

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 6:29 pm

Possibly, but at the same time, in keeping up in consistency with repeating choruses and verses, I may also have gave it 545 for repeating the chorus, again, the same point raised before about having to be consistent. Giving Spaff a full 5 for humour when he's repeated a chorus wouldn't be fair if i'd down marked other parodists for the same thing

Okay, fair enough. I will say though that not every song is possible to come up with something clever for every chorus ( it took me DAYS to do " American Pie " for not repeating a SINGLE chorus because that song has like 6 or 7 IDENTICAL chroruses ).

Also, though you probably do not listen to much alternative, MANY of those songs do not even HAVE a single chorus TO repeat ( and if you DKTOS, will look horrible misrhymed or paced ).

I will agree that I do not like to see cut and paste or " repeat chrous " much in a parody. Some people like to see continuity on choruses/pre-choruses on certain songs ( I am one of them ). There are of course exceptions to this.

I have done it as well on my earlier parodies ( " repeat chorus " ) but I dislike them as if I KTOS and can sing to it then I have to scan back up to see the parodied chorus.

One example of a song that has many choruses is " Paradise City " but almost ALL of them differ slightly. If " repeat chorus " was used in that I would dock it a point on pacing not for being repetitive, but because they are not identical choruses ( they actually differ a bit ).

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/08/05 at 6:36 pm

I will agree that I do not like to see cut and paste or " repeat chrous " much in a parody. Some people like to see continuity on choruses/pre-choruses on certain songs ( I am one of them ). There are of course exceptions to this.

I am also one of those people (obviously). All in all, maybe giving Spaff a 3 was harsh, but it's been done now. I can't go back and change my vote or vote again. I suppose the point I was trying to prove is that to me it doesn't matter whose parody i'm rating, if they all have the same flaws (which I was surprised to see in Spaff's of all peoples), they'll all be voted on exactly the same. You yourself said that some people have to bear in mind that we are voting for the parodies, not the parodist, and it's a view I will always share.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 7:01 pm

I am also one of those people (obviously). All in all, maybe giving Spaff a 3 was harsh, but it's been done now. I can't go back and change my vote or vote again. I suppose the point I was trying to prove is that to me it doesn't matter whose parody i'm rating, if they all have the same flaws (which I was surprised to see in Spaff's of all peoples), they'll all be voted on exactly the same. You yourself said that some people have to bear in mind that we are voting for the parodies, not the parodist, and it's a view I will always share.

Yes, it is done now. I was a bit let down myself and that Spaff is indeed mortal after all, thus disproving the existantance of extra-terrestial life-forms on Earth ( that's how good I think Spaff's parodies are, he has gotten MANY mentions of " Out of this world " or something similar ).

Yes, I do not care at all who wrote a parody ( though I will say that I tend to look at more 'established' parodists more often but that does not guarantee a 555 vote ).

I am more interested in the parody title and secondly if I KTOS. I do look at nearly every parody everyday ( only duplicate parodies of songs I DKTOS I don't look at ) now even though close to 70% of them I DKTOS on. This is something you may want to consider to get a different perspective on ideas ( matter of fact I have commented on a parody of a song I DKTOS because of the parody name and asked it be set to a different song perhaps and it was done. That person has over 500 parodies here ).

Written By: Kim West on 05/08/05 at 8:02 pm

I would have to say that if the OS repeats the chorus and verses, then the parody song should not be penalized for doing the same thing. I mean, if your are going to try to match the pacing then you must try to match the OS, if you do not then you will lose points.

What you are saying is if you find a repeat in a chorus, then you will deduct points. If someone tried not to repeat in their parody, then someone else might come along and vote low on pacing because it would not match the original.

Interesting, no matter how you look at it, the author loses out on points.

Kim.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 10:22 pm

I don't want to pick you apart Kim or create any animosity ( and I realize this was quoted from DAK's statement not mine ).

I would have to say that if the OS repeats the chorus and verses, then the parody song should not be penalized for doing the same thing. I mean, if your are going to try to match the pacing then you must try to match the OS, if you do not then you will lose points.

Kim.

As far as pacing goes, I do not deduct points for the same chorus provided the are nearly identical. In " Paradise City " for example the chorus differs enough from one to another that putting " repeat chorus " is not acceptable to me there and will get a pacing dock. You can change them up a bit and still match TOS.

Note: There are only a handful of songs like this that putting " repeat chorus " vs typing out the different choruses will get a pacing dock from me.

I also do not dock on "funny" for the same choruses as will be shown in a second *.

What you are saying is if you find a repeat in a chorus, then you will deduct points. If someone tried not to repeat in their parody, then someone else might come along and vote low on pacing because it would not match the original.

Interesting, no matter how you look at it, the author loses out on points.

Kim.

Yes, this is sort of a Catch-22, but most people do not dock for the same chorus ( provided they are identical ). I will copy and paste DAK's comment on one of my parodies ( unedited-colors changed to blue for seperation ):

Very very tempted to give you 4 for repetative choruses, but the consistency of undeniably high quality of humour throughout certainly outweighed the negatives. 555

The following is taken from DAK's own statement on this ( excerpted but not modified ):

Notice he says the words *may* and *if* in there. He didn't mark me down for the same thing and I am NOWHERE near Spaff's caliber. I'm fairly sure that he would have given a 555.

*Now here is a comment left I on another parodists parody that is copied and pasted but edited to exclude names and other irrelevant info:

5s although try changing up the choruses some.

I try to change up choruses/repetitive lines as much as possible ( if need be ).

Some songs like Soundgarden's " Blow Up The Outside World " repeats " Blow up the outside" 16 times at the end of the song. Also Nirvana's "All Apologies " has 20 lines of the same vocals at the end of the song. There isn't much choice other than putting ( x16 ) or ( x20 ) in those cases, respecively. I do not think anyone expects you to come up with that many variations TOS song lyrics.

A Very good example of this can be seen on nearly any " Scarborough Fair/Canticle " parody as it makes it a lot funnier to change up the words that rhyme with " Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme " ( since that line is repeated ~ 8 times in the song and especially considering the word play relating to the parody ). I wouldn't want to see the same parodied words used ~ 8 times but I also wouldn't dock for pacing or funny since they are ALL IDENTICAL.

Most ( but not all ) times the parodist does not lose out.

PS- Again, no offense intended towards you Kim West as I believe I have seen a few of your comments on my parodies and I appreciate them.

PSS- No offense to you either DAK, I regard your ratings very well most times, though everyone disagrees on some thing sometime.

Written By: Apricot on 05/09/05 at 5:40 am

I figure anything that isn't the same number straight across is okay. I mean, 1-1-1 and 2-2-2 are unfair {most times, so truly deserve low rankings}. 2-2-2 can be okay, if something sucks so much that you have to review, but they gave it a shot.

I used to do it, but now I think spite voting is immature. I only did that to one person, and we've both changed a lot since then.

People will always rate unfairly. There are always people who don't like you, people who don't like your work, yet they have to comment... they just HAVE to. Doesn't bother me anymore, I'll just put more work into the next parody. And if you get a low rating and a comment with advice: for God's sake, take the advice.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/09/05 at 9:45 am

I had read all the other parodies I knew and most of them, were in my opinion, crap/average, some were good, but not many.

This is what I'm talking about when I mentioned how you arrogantly dismiss other people's work constantly.  Okay, obviously some people are more skilled at this stuff than others, and not everyone's writing is to everyone's taste.  It's unnecessary to constantly go on about what 'crap' people write.  You can simply do what most people do -- get to know whose stuff you like and read that, and simply ignore the stuff of the people you don't.  Or just keep reading stuff you know you're going to hate (like Poopie's stuff) and complain about it.

Although I respect you highly as a person, Leo

Knock off the disingenuous crap.  I don't know you, and you don't know me.

You whinge and whine on about how highly I regard myself and my standards this that and the other, but you're the only one that does.

Well, I never claimed to speak for anyone but myself.  And I'm "whinging and whining" only because I feel that your insistence on promoting yourself at the expense of others diminishes the spirit of the site.  Curious that you constantly complain about people defending the work of others, when you insist on posting entire threads whinging about your own persecution.

In fact the only time I've challenged you in defense of MYSELF is when YOU POSTED BOLD-FACED LIES about me, FALSELY ACCUSING ME of having harrassed you on the board.  Which you were never even big enough to admit, but who cares... obviously not me.

I don't know what it is about me that's upset you and caused you to target me time after time

Then you either don't read my posts or you're the stupidest f***ing person imaginable.

....but I don't particularly like having to justify myself to people.

Then simply stop wasting your time doing so, because you're hardly very persuasive anyway.

You make all these remarks and submit all these posts about me, and then when I speak up for myself to tell everybody that I feel i'm being targetted, you start getting upset and e-mailing Chucky to remove threads.

The only remarks I make are to posts you make.  If you start threads like "why is everybody bashing me", one can only assume you want the feedback.  That's what I gave you.  In response to the first couple of threads you posted complaining about your treatment as a newbie, I was supportive, reassuring you that everybody gets panned and 111'd and that you shouldn't sweat it.  But then your paranoia and persecution complex became more and more evident, to the point where you started FALSELY ACCUSING ME OF HARRASSMENT, and sorry -- that's just out of control.

So yeah, you're godda**ed right I had that thread removed.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/09/05 at 9:55 am

I figure anything that isn't the same number straight across is okay. I mean, 1-1-1 and 2-2-2 are unfair {most times, so truly deserve low rankings}. 2-2-2 can be okay, if something sucks so much that you have to review, but they gave it a shot.

I used to do it, but now I think spite voting is immature. I only did that to one person, and we've both changed a lot since then.

People will always rate unfairly. There are always people who don't like you, people who don't like your work, yet they have to comment... they just HAVE to. Doesn't bother me anymore, I'll just put more work into the next parody. And if you get a low rating and a comment with advice: for God's sake, take the advice.

Thank you Apricot, thankfully somebody gets it

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/09/05 at 10:17 am

This is what I'm talking about when I mentioned how you arrogantly dismiss other people's work constantly

Knock off the disingenuous crap.

In fact the only time I've challenged you in defense of MYSELF is when YOU POSTED BOLD-FACED LIES about me, FALSELY ACCUSING ME of having harrassed you on the board.  Which you were never even big enough to admit, but who cares...

you're the stupidest f***ing person imaginable.

you're hardly very persuasive anyway.

If you start threads like "why is everybody bashing me", one can only assume you want the feedback.  That's what I gave you. So yeah, you're godda**ed right I had that thread removed.

Fine, Leo, absolutely fine. If this is going to be your attitude towards me, then so be it. Let me just remind you of how this whole thing started. It was you. I gave a comment which you didn't like, so you started mouthing off to me about it (don't even try denying it). I tried to defend myself, but you still weren't happy, so you started complaining. Now, here I am trying to explain myself to a person who is so arrogant and ignorant that he refuses to listen to me and keeps making remarks like the ones above (I left them in to show everybody just how arrogant you are). I didn't become a member of this board so that my views and thoughts could be questioned by people like you. I came on here to compare my views and thoughts with the views and thoughts of others, not shove mine down everybody's throats. If you don't like what I say, tough s***, you don't like it. So what? Big woop. What the hell do you want me to do about it? Magically reverse time and go and re-vote? Formally apologize to anyone i've ever made a "harsh" or "arrogant" comment to or given a vote below a 3 to? Guess what - I can't. You can sit and make nasty little stabs at me all you want Leo, but very little will change. In fact, all your doing is convincing yourself you're actually saying what everybody believes, when in actual fact, it's only your opinion, and all this (by 'this' I mean that last few posts between us) is just your little excuse to go mouthing off at me. Nope, not arrogant or obnoxious at all.
So here's the bottom line. What the hell do you want me to do? Ignore anybody's parodies who I don't know (which is about 70-80% of the parodists on AmIRight)? Apologize to anybody you feel i've been unfair to? Ask Chucky if I can re-vote on all the parodies i've given 1s and 2s on? What? What is it exactly you want from me? Please tell me, because i'd be very interested to know the purpose of the last few posts. Or are you just wasting my time?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/09/05 at 10:39 am

DAK, it's all very simple: do whatever you wish, but if you act like a jerk, expect to be treated like one -- by me at least.  Make factually false accusations about me, and I will ask that they be removed, as has already been done. 

Any reasonable person would wonder why the moderator found cause to remove the thread.  But not you, DAK.  No, it's just mad, raving, irrational petty Leo making unjustified complaints, mercilessly hounding widdle DAK.  Yep, it's a good thing I've got these moderators wrapped around my little finger indulging my every whim to have threads deleted without cause.

Listen DAK, if you don't care what I have to say, then put a lid on it.

Right. But among these sarcastic comments unnecessary waffling, I still see no answer to my question...

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/09/05 at 11:30 am

Oh, and I just noticed how you cut and pasted when you 'quoted' me above.  That is about lowest form of conduct I've seen from you yet.  Pathetic and reprehensible. 

Written By: kattie on 05/09/05 at 11:38 am

hi this is kattie i mainly read all your guys massage and it was something to do and it was weird all of it but ya 8) :-X :-[ :-* :\'( ;D :D ;) :) >:( :o ::) ::) :-X :\'( next time you guys talk do not talk about your grandmas because it really boring and i don't know anyone who wants to read this if it has grandma on it next time don't talk about it find something else to talk about like i can have something to talk about but I'm not talking to anyone so if you guys want to email me you guys can I'm 13 in a half so just email me and ill tel you guys what you people could talk about so peace out ;D ;) :) ;) :) :) ;) ??? ??? 8) 8) :D :D ;) :( >:( ;D ;D 8)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/09/05 at 11:40 am

hi this is kattie i mainly read all your guys massage and it was something to do and it was weird all of it but ya 8) :-X :-Yeah"Give Peace A Chance" 

Written By: Kim West on 05/09/05 at 11:43 am

I don't want to pick you apart Kim or create any animosity ( and I realize this was quoted from DAK's statement not mine ).

As far as pacing goes, I do not deduct points for the same chorus provided the are nearly identical. In " Paradise City " for example the chorus differs enough from one to another that putting " repeat chorus " is not acceptable to me there and will get a pacing dock. You can change them up a bit and still match TOS.

Note: There are only a handful of songs like this that putting " repeat chorus " vs typing out the different choruses will get a pacing dock from me.

I also do not dock on "funny" for the same choruses as will be shown in a second *.

Yes, this is sort of a Catch-22, but most people do not dock for the same chorus ( provided they are identical ). I will copy and paste DAK's comment on one of my parodies ( unedited-colors changed to blue for seperation ):

Very very tempted to give you 4 for repetative choruses, but the consistency of undeniably high quality of humour throughout certainly outweighed the negatives. 555

The following is taken from DAK's own statement on this ( excerpted but not modified ):

Notice he says the words *may* and *if* in there. He didn't mark me down for the same thing and I am NOWHERE near Spaff's caliber. I'm fairly sure that he would have given a 555.

*Now here is a comment left I on another parodists parody that is copied and pasted but edited to exclude names and other irrelevant info:

5s although try changing up the choruses some.

I try to change up choruses/repetitive lines as much as possible ( if need be ).

Some songs like Soundgarden's " Blow Up The Outside World " repeats " Blow up the outside" 16 times at the end of the song. Also Nirvana's "All Apologies " has 20 lines of the same vocals at the end of the song. There isn't much choice other than putting ( x16 ) or ( x20 ) in those cases, respecively. I do not think anyone expects you to come up with that many variations TOS song lyrics.

A Very good example of this can be seen on nearly any " Scarborough Fair/Canticle " parody as it makes it a lot funnier to change up the words that rhyme with " Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme " ( since that line is repeated ~ 8 times in the song and especially considering the word play relating to the parody ). I wouldn't want to see the same parodied words used ~ 8 times but I also wouldn't dock for pacing or funny since they are ALL IDENTICAL.

Most ( but not all ) times the parodist does not lose out.

PS- Again, no offense intended towards you Kim West as I believe I have seen a few of your comments on my parodies and I appreciate them.

PSS- No offense to you either DAK, I regard your ratings very well most times, though everyone disagrees on some thing sometime.

I have written parodies where the chorus repeats itself, and have written parodies where I purposefully changed the chorus, even when the OS does not. Usually when I change up the chorus it is because I am trying to tell a story, and that is the only way for me to bring the progression along.

As far as actually typing (Repeat chorus) is concerned, I don't think I've done that with one of my own. On average I'll have the same chorus in a song about three times. I can certainly understand why someone would write (repeat 16X or 20X), but honestly I doubt I'd want to read the song either way. Repetition on that scale really isn't something I'd enjoy reading, or writing for that matter.  I think in those instances I wouldn't be involved with making any comments or voting on a song like that. I think the real question boils down to how many times can one repeat a chorus or verse before it becomes annoying to the reader?

Two or three times? Well most songs tend to repeat at least this many times, so I hardly think this would qualify, although, I have changed up the chorus even with this few (at least once anyway).

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/stbarrysadler0.shtml

I couldn't resist changing the last chorus. :)

The more times a chorus repeats, the less likely it will be funny to the people reading it. An OS can afford to repeat itself if the music can carry it, but reading the lyrics without the music can be a bit more challenging. The lyrics, much like poetry, get evaluated on their own merits. If lyrics read well on their own, then that might be an indication that the song may also be good. I know that is going off topic, but I have had people on more than one occasion comment that they liked the way I wrote something, but haven't a clue about what the OS was like in comparison. I took it as a compliment because I do tend to be eclectic when it comes to my choice in songs.

As to offending me Red Ant, well you stated your views rather well I thought. It would take much more than a simple conversation to upset me, and so far, nobody on this board has come close to doing that.

Kim.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/09/05 at 12:10 pm

All this whingeing about this subject is one reason why I don't bother to vote and comment by my name all of the time. :-[

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/09/05 at 12:32 pm

Well, it really got off-topic.  Rating is one thing.  Attitude is another.  One bled into the other.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/09/05 at 6:14 pm

Right, Leo, you win. I really can't be bothered to argue anymore. Below you will find (hopefully to your satisfaction) a list of explanations for everything you have previously mentioned in this thread:

The comment about your parody being the best one i'd read in days was just my personal view on the matter. I apologize to you and to any other authors on AmIRight if I came across as obnoxious, because, (and this is god's honest truth), I didn't mean it to come across like that when I first posted it.
The thread in question was an opportunity for parodists to get together and discuss with each other and give each other advice about times when they've felt they have purposefully been the targets of spite votes and comments. Obviously, people (there are more people on the board than you have brought this point up to me) thought that I was trying to start a pity-party, which I wasn't but never mind. Also with the example of Ms Critic (Which later turned out to be you), I also mentioned the argument with Josh and a few other examples. I was fine about the thread being deleted if that's what you wanted, which it later was. It wasn't my intention to spread bold faced lies about you or whatever, it was just I was upset about the comments that someone (which, of course, I believed to be Ms Critic) had made to me, and that's what I had been telling everybody on that thread. It was you yourself who confessed that you were posing as Ms Critic, so obviously I hadn't intentionally been spreading lies about you. I had been spreading lies about the person you had pretended to be. Still, it's over and done with. Nobody can view that thread any more, so it's not like the lies can be spread any further. Again, I apologize for my unacounted actions on that thread.
What I had meant by the comment posted on the parody was that I enjoyed reading Ms Critic's comments to Poopie as opposed to the parody which I believed to she had wrote. But I can see why you got upset about it, as it does come across as obnoxious and mean spirited, so again, I fully apologize for making that remark
Finally, on posting comments on other people's work. If a parody's bad, I can't turn around and say it's 'Wierd Al' class stuff because the author will never improve, apart from that, If I don't tell them where they're going wrong, somebody will. I do generally try and be as positive and encouraging as possible, but then with Josh I seen that my other approach didn't go down too well either, so I stuck with being straight to the point. Looking back, I must admit half of my comments are cocky and arrogant, but surprisingly, not many (if any) authors have complained. I will take your advice, however, and stop posting obnoxious comments. I will, however, continue to post comments telling the authors that their parodies need a lot of work if I feel appropriate.

There. I have apologized for all the questioned actions, and that is also an apology to everyone who i've upset with comments and votes. I have said i'll quit being nasty to new authors and try to be more encouraging with my comments. I have also apologized for the thread and the comment I made on your parody.
Please, no more arguing and bickering over things like this. I can't be bothered with it when I come home from school and work, and judging by some other people's reactions, they don't want to log on and read arguments between us.
After this post, I hope I there will be no more negativity between us and hopefully now we can get along. And maybe in future we could just PM each other if there's a problem instead of clogging the board up with sarcastic remarks and stabs at each other?
Like Kattie said, Give Peace A Chance  :)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/09/05 at 8:13 pm

I appreciate your being straight about everything and choosing to take the high road. 

I must admit that I do sometimes enjoy a good argument a bit TOO much, and at times, the opportunity to vent my righteous indignation seems a bit too appealing to pass up.

But I guess we can all stand to be reminded that oftentimes it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.

And just for the record though I don't usually read your stuff (since I hardly know anything recorded after 1990), I did 555 your "It's Not A Funeral" last week, even though I was still quite annoyed with you at the time.  My point being that while I rarely hesistate to blast my bluster when I feel it's warranted, I really do make an effort not to be 'petty'.

Peace.

Written By: YWN on 05/24/05 at 10:17 pm

The blahs are strong with this one.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 10:53 am

I appreciate your being straight about everything and choosing to take the high road. 

I must admit that I do sometimes enjoy a good argument a bit TOO much, and at times, the opportunity to vent my righteous indignation seems a bit too appealing to pass up.

But I guess we can all stand to be reminded that oftentimes it's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it.

And just for the record though I don't usually read your stuff (since I hardly know anything recorded after 1990), I did 555 your "It's Not A Funeral" last week, even though I was still quite annoyed with you at the time.  My point being that while I rarely hesistate to blast my bluster when I feel it's warranted, I really do make an effort not to be 'petty'.

Peace.

Peace, Leo  :)

The blahs are strong with this one.

Marshal, wtf?!  ???

Written By: YWN on 05/25/05 at 11:03 am

"The Force is strong with this one," said Yoda regarding Anakin Skywalker.

Get it?  You had the blahs because people were rating unfairly. 

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 11:55 am

"The Force is strong with this one," said Yoda regarding Anakin Skywalker.

Get it?  You had the blahs because people were rating unfairly. 

No, no, no, young jedi. you are mistaken.
Blah = postive, random feeling
Meh = pretty crappy feeling/average

I would say people voting unfairly is a lot more 'meh' than 'blah'

Written By: YWN on 05/25/05 at 12:02 pm

Oh, I thought that blahs were bad.

Apparently the Force is not with me.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/25/05 at 12:07 pm

Oh, I thought that blahs were bad.

Apparently the Force is not with me.

;D  Hey, we're gonna end up getting chased again! I think we'd better take our non-sensical conversations elsewhere  :D

Written By: Ripp on 06/18/05 at 1:20 pm

CHASE 'EM!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!

Subject: Re: People rating unfairly (Bop Girl)

Written By: Rich Traube on 02/07/06 at 5:07 pm

Radio Nigel (www.radionigel.com) plays "Bop Girl" frequently.  Fun tune!!

Check for new replies or respond here...