inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone had their title copied?

Written By: Rex on 02/17/05 at 1:54 pm

I posted a parody, then two days later another parody was posted with the same title. Makes me wonder if someone saw mine and said "hey, that fits this other tune" and tossed it out there. And while overall I don't mind, I wonder if someone will hear about my parody (which has been getting 5's) and then find the other one (which has been getting 2's). Has this happened to anyone else?

Subject: Re: Anyone had their title copied?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/17/05 at 2:40 pm

I posted a parody, then two days later another parody was posted with the same title. Makes me wonder if someone saw mine and said "hey, that fits this other tune" and tossed it out there. And while overall I don't mind, I wonder if someone will hear about my parody (which has been getting 5's) and then find the other one (which has been getting 2's). Has this happened to anyone else?

There are so many parodies being submitted, it's inevitable some will be duplicates--not just the same titles but the same titles to the same songs, which really cheeses people off sometimes.  But I don't think I've ever seen a case where I actually thought someone purposely duplicated an idea.  More often, they just don't check first.  What does happen a lot is that someone sees a parody of a particular song, then gets the idea for a completely different parody of it.  Bottom line:  it's not worth worrying about, IMO.  If you write well, and especially if you spend time commenting on other parodies, you'll get plenty of attention, and when you get down to it, that's all that really matters.  I doubt this will help you at all.  Good luck!

Written By: Arwen on 02/17/05 at 2:56 pm

Bottom line:  it's not worth worrying about, IMO.  If you write well, and especially if you spend time commenting on other parodies, you'll get plenty of attention, and when you get down to it, that's all that really matters. 

Or you could simply woo me.  It's an artist's relationship with me that will, in the long run, make or break them around here... ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/17/05 at 3:32 pm

Or you could simply woo me.  It's an artist's relationship with me that will, in the long run, make or break them around here... ;)

So that's Spaff's secret.  Say, have I ever mentioned I resemble Vin Diesel?

Written By: Rex on 02/17/05 at 8:12 pm

There are so many parodies being submitted, it's inevitable some will be duplicates--not just the same titles but the same titles to the same songs, which really cheeses people off sometimes.  But I don't think I've ever seen a case where I actually thought someone purposely duplicated an idea.  More often, they just don't check first.  What does happen a lot is that someone sees a parody of a particular song, then gets the idea for a completely different parody of it.  Bottom line:  it's not worth worrying about, IMO.  If you write well, and especially if you spend time commenting on other parodies, you'll get plenty of attention, and when you get down to it, that's all that really matters.  I doubt this will help you at all.  Good luck!

Actually, I'm glad to hear you say it's not worth a worry. So, I won't worry about it.  :) Now, all I have to worry about is competing with those FREAKIN' AWESOME parodies that some of you guys are posting!  ;)

Written By: STG on 02/18/05 at 12:13 am

All the time, but it is not because of copycats. I have done it before.
Examples- Supersize/S.T.G. vs.  Supersized/DarkJon64
And I hyave had it done repeatedly on one of my songs.
Example- The Bong Song/S.T.G. vs. everyone else's

Nothing to worry, it is just coincedence

Written By: Arwen on 02/18/05 at 12:27 am

I have always suspected that you might...you sexy bastard.

Okay everyone, listen up...go ahead and love Claude now.  On the double. 

Written By: DoRitos on 02/18/05 at 8:30 am

So Claude - post a pic of Ol' Vinnie on the parody writers photo thread so we can see what you look like. 

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/18/05 at 8:44 am

I'm more concerned that people don't start co-opting other people's avatar ideas.  If anyone else decides to use an album cover of a deceased black male jazz singer, it will not go unchallenged.  Intellectual property rights are not to be taken lightly.

Written By: jreuben on 02/18/05 at 8:46 am

Okay everyone, listen up...go ahead and love Claude now. 

I tried, but he fought me off

Written By: Arwen on 02/18/05 at 9:20 am

LOL's to both Leo and Jeff...

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/18/05 at 11:30 am

Ooh...did I say Vin Diesel?  I meant to say Vin Scully...that's not a problem, is it, sugar booger?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/18/05 at 11:35 am

So Claude - post a pic of Ol' Vinnie on the parody writers photo thread so we can see what you look like. 
Hmmm...I've actually never posted a photo before; it seems like way too much work to figure out.  I will say I look very Claudelike, though.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 02/18/05 at 11:38 am

I tried, but he fought me off

Bring more beer next time.

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/18/05 at 11:48 am

TOUCH HIM! LOVE HIM!
LOVE HIM!!!!!!

Written By: Arwen on 02/18/05 at 2:56 pm

Ooh...did I say Vin Diesel?  I meant to say Vin Scully...that's not a problem, is it, sugar booger?

Even better, if you can imagine it...

And 12,946 points for the phrase "sugar booger."  LOL!

Written By: Rex on 02/18/05 at 4:51 pm

Even better, if you can imagine it...

And 12,946 points for the phrase "sugar booger."  LOL!

Aren't Sugar Boogers a cereal?

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/20/05 at 12:34 pm

Aren't Sugar Boogers a cereal?

Yes. Named after a song by the Archies.

FWIW, I've learned from Amiright to check both the Amiright Google and the whole-freaking-net-Google before I plunge into an idea, even if it seems highly unlikely that it would have been done before. I was writing "The Buttcracker Suite," for example - I swear I'm not kidding here - when I Googled it and found that Bob Rivers had already recorded that very thing. So. Back to the drawing board. I can only imagine how many accusations of plagiarism I would have received.

Still, I may not Google my latest idea, "Super Gals In Sequined Gowns Were Wearing Red Galoshes." No way anyone's had that idea before.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: neminem on 02/21/05 at 2:05 pm

Well, I'd written about a third of a parody of "What's my age again" as "What's my name again", when I went and looked, and the idea'd already been done like 3 times. So I stopped.

It'd be really nice if the search function still existed, because google isn't the best for searching a site like this.

Check for new replies or respond here...