inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Giving feedback

Written By: Rex on 02/21/05 at 5:05 pm

As a relative newbie to AmIRight, I've been hesitating giving "constructive criticism" to some of the parodies I've seen. I start wondering if the author:

1. will appreciate it

2. will ignore it

3. will track me down and kill me

Anyone have any experiences with giving a less than stellar comment to a parody writer? (By the way, if I get negative comments I just nip off and shoot myself. Fortunately I have bad eyesight and keep missing.)

Subject: Re: Giving feedback

Written By: Arwen on 02/21/05 at 5:20 pm

As a relative newbie to AmIRight, I've been hesitating giving "constructive criticism" to some of the parodies I've seen. I start wondering if the author:

1. will appreciate it

2. will ignore it

Anyone have any experiences with giving a less than stellar comment to a parody writer? (By the way, if I get negative comments I just nip off and shoot myself. Fortunately I have bad eyesight and keep missing.)

Go ahead and tell people what's on your mind.  I think most mature adults can take the heat.  Of course there are some people who will get really defensive...and there are those who might retaliate with some 1s on your work...(which are not to be worried about)...

...but in all honesty, I am the only one who will track you down and kill you... ;)

Written By: Rex on 02/21/05 at 5:23 pm

...but in all honesty, I am the only one who will track you down and kill you... ;)

I fear the power of the elf.

Written By: Arwen on 02/21/05 at 5:32 pm

Good boy.

Written By: MooRocca on 02/21/05 at 8:05 pm

1. will appreciate it

If you're talking about constructive criticism of the writing skills and techniques, this author not only appreciates it but values it greatly.  I've always been surprised how little peer mentoring is given/received.       

2. will ignore it

Only if by "constructive criticism" you mean comments like  "You suck because I don't like the topic you chose" or "You suck because you had the audacity to parody my favorite artist's song" or "You suck because I disagree with your fictional character's P.O.V." 

I wish (and thought about mentioning it on Chucky's suggestions thread) that there were little check boxes we could select when we submit a parody...

Author prefers ratings to comments
Author prefers comments to ratings
Authors values ratings and comments equally
Author values constructive writing critique
Author prefers only positive encouragement
Just sharing.  Comments/ratings unnecessary.

...and that any options an author selects would appear between the title info and the prefacing comments of the parody to let readers who care one way or the other know what the author's feedback preferences are in regards to that specific parody. 

Written By: Rex on 02/21/05 at 8:14 pm

I wish (and thought about mentioning it on Chucky's suggestions thread) that there were little check boxes we could select when we submit a parody...

Author prefers ratings to comments
Author prefers comments to ratings
Authors values ratings and comments equally
Author values constructive writing critique
Author prefers only positive encouragement
Just sharing.  Comments/ratings unnecessary.

Love it! And I'd like one more: Send money

Written By: 2nz on 02/21/05 at 9:22 pm

Feel free to say what's on your mind, Rex. Most of the parody writers here (or possibly just me) submit parodies to see how other people respond to their ideas and parodies, not just how other parody writers respond. And you won't be a newbie for long, making friends with both Arwen and MooRocca on the same thread. Nice.

Are you interested in writing parodies, and if so have you written any yet? I know when I first started out on the site, no one knew me so I had to comment a lot more than I wrote and get my name out there. If you are interested in submitting stuff here, commenting (besides showing the author that you not only read their work, but took the time to think about it and respond, a huge complement) is also the best way to get known

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/21/05 at 9:35 pm

Go ahead and tell people what's on your mind.  I think most mature adults can take the heat.  Of course there are some people who will get really defensive...

I agree with Arwen.

If you think something about someone, but don't tell them because you think this truth about what you're thinking might upset them, you're not only being dishonest, but arrogant as well

because you're assuming (ie. judging) that the other person isn't mature enough to handle the truth

;)

Written By: K1chyd on 02/21/05 at 11:40 pm

The longer I´ve been here the more I have come to apprechiate comments over votes, but when they come together it´s even better.

Comments with so called constructive criticism are actually more rare than one would think from how often they are asked for and said to be apprechiated, and in that regard I´m as much a culprit as anyone else. What you can do, and what we IMHO have a slow but general drifting towards, is to make comments with a pun or two, related to the subject of the song, the original artist or possibly some other comment above yours.

Also, if you see a song with a topic that you like but doesn´t know the original song you can either download it to check it out (preferred) or come back the next day to see how well people you´ve come to know here as fair has judged it on pacing, take them for their word and judge the parody for yourself on funny and overall (second alternative, but another way for a newbie to show that he´s taking interest in learning from the veterans).

Written By: Rex on 02/22/05 at 10:11 am

Are you interested in writing parodies, and if so have you written any yet?

I've posted two so far. I have a backlog of parodies I've written over the past mumble years and will be gradually posting some of them. Many of the parodies I'm writing now are for a CD I'm working on with a friend's band, so I'm keeping those under wraps for now.

And I appreciate everyone's comments. I will do my best to provide good honest feedback to the parodies I look at.

Hey, look! I made it to two stars!

Written By: jreuben on 02/22/05 at 10:15 am

1. will appreciate it

2. will ignore it

I personally appreciate it, and echo the comments made by the other authors on this thread.  As long is a comment isn't a personal attack, I have no problems with people commenting that a parody might not be my best, suggesting improvements, places where the pacing might not work, etc. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/22/05 at 10:31 am

I love all comments and ratings, good or bad, as long as they are somewhat accurate. Many times, the people who hate a parody for its content alone will rate pacing or overall quality low just for spite.  >:(

I have been known to give "constructive criticism" to a newbie right when they jump in--some have taken offense to it, some not. At least I try not to come off mean-spirited.

Written By: Arwen on 02/22/05 at 10:36 am

I personally appreciate it, and echo the comments made by the other authors on this thread.  As long is a comment isn't a personal attack, I have no problems with people commenting that a parody might not be my best, suggesting improvements, places where the pacing might not work, etc. 

Nice call on the personal attack bit, Jeff.

People put their work on the site in the name of scrutiny.  If they didn't want people's opinions, they wouldn't publish it.  And if they are that concerned with getting negative comments, then they'll choose to not allow comments.  So...I say...commenting on parodies is free reign.  I also think that commenting on comments is free reign.  If someone says something in a comment that I disagree with...you can bet that I'm going to tell them as much.

I will be the first to admit, however, that I will get upset, and rightfully so, if a person chooses to attack things having to do with my personal life, and/or things that have no relevance to the site (or my place on it) at all...

Written By: Leo Jay on 02/22/05 at 11:20 am

I used to struggle with the feedback issue myself.  I realize that while everyone of course says they appreciate honest feedback -- "as long as it's constructive, and not vindictive" -- the reality is that some of us welcome "honest feedback" only when it's telling us how brilliant, funny and/or talented we are.  In the end, all you can do is try to be honest while still being supportive, and realize that some people may get their noses out of joint and exact retribution on your parodies.  But that's just the breaks -- not everyone can be a grownup.

Of course, you can always leave your honest feedback under a pseudonym, if you're worried about it.  ;)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/22/05 at 4:05 pm

I used to struggle with the feedback issue myself.  I realize that while everyone of course says they appreciate honest feedback -- "as long as it's constructive, and not vindictive" -- the reality is that some of us welcome "honest feedback" only when it's telling us how brilliant, funny and/or talented we are.  In the end, all you can do is try to be honest while still being supportive, and realize that some people may get their noses out of joint and exact retribution on your parodies.  But that's just the breaks -- not everyone can be a grownup.

exactly, Leo - as always, it all simplifies down to motive - that's where the truth always is

because if you don't look straight at the motive, you're only left with interpretations, which are driven by your own personal factors

They will end up clouding any exchange.

Written By: Arwen on 02/22/05 at 5:08 pm

I've chattered enough on this topic...so this will be my final thought...

1.  If you feel justified in saying something, say it...

2.  ...but be aware (as any intelligent person should be) that some things are hurtful regardless of the motive...

3.  ...but again, you said it because you felt justified.  Stand by it.  Do not waffle. 

4.  People's feelings are just as valid as your opinions.  Even if you think they are being overly sensitive, or immature, or ridiculous, or irrational...they have their right to their reaction just as you have your right to state your opinion.  I have probably been in more fights around here than most people...and I've been on both sides.  sheesh happens...sometimes it's fixable...sometimes it's not...

5.  ...so, if you HAVE upset someone with a comment...then accept it.  You can apologize...but you can't guarantee that you'll un-upset them...so if they want to hate you, let them.  If they are going to get over it, they will do it in their own time.  If they aren't going to...nothing you say will make them change their minds. 

Written By: Armstrong on 02/22/05 at 5:27 pm

i'll throw in that we had MAYBE the weirdest comment left on us a couple years ago. Some...thing left an entire shania parody as a comment about how we don't wear pants... interesting to say the least.

personally, I would LOVE to get some more comments. The best way is to give them yourself and people will start to recognize you.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/22/05 at 7:52 pm

i'll throw in that we had MAYBE the weirdest comment left on us a couple years ago. Some...thing left an entire shania parody as a comment about how we don't wear pants... interesting to say the least.

personally, I would LOVE to get some more comments. The best way is to give them yourself and people will start to recognize you.

yes - give and you will receive - I can't believe that's not more obvious to the people who whine about these things

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/22/05 at 7:56 pm

I've chattered enough on this topic...so this will be my final thought...

1.  If you feel justified in saying something, say it...

2.  ...but be aware (as any intelligent person should be) that some things are hurtful regardless of the motive...

3.  ...but again, you said it because you felt justified.  Stand by it.  Do not waffle. 

4.  People's feelings are just as valid as your opinions.  Even if you think they are being overly sensitive, or immature, or ridiculous, or irrational...they have their right to their reaction just as you have your right to state your opinion.  I have probably been in more fights around here than most people...and I've been on both sides.  sh** happens...sometimes it's fixable...sometimes it's not...

5.  ...so, if you HAVE upset someone with a comment...then accept it.  You can apologize...but you can't guarantee that you'll un-upset them...so if they want to hate you, let them.  If they are going to get over it, they will do it in their own time.  If they aren't going to...nothing you say will make them change their minds. 

yes, waffling is ridiculous, although clarifying isn't - and I agree, guarantees are pie in the sky

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/22/05 at 10:17 pm

On my parodies, I want people to be candid and brutally honest. But only if they include the word "masterpiece." All other comments will be reported as inappropriate.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Kim West on 02/22/05 at 10:43 pm

Rex

1. will appreciate it

Kim:
That could go either way, but if you do not at least make the attempt you will never know for sure.

2. will ignore it

Kim:
Again, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Kim:
Stick close to the waters edge. I hear that penguins are excellent swimmers. Walking, or to be more precise, waddling on land makes you an easy target.

Rex:

Kim:
I have not given a negative review here on this site. I have done so with a couple of story sites, and even then it is rare for me. Here is what I usually concentrate on when giving a review to a story (it should work pretty much the same way for a song).

1. I pretty much stick to the content of the material.

2. I never call the author names (that is just plain rude).

3. Mention those things I did not like, but not try to be mean about it. Analyze it,
    explain it, but always maintain a certain objectivity. That may not always work,
    but it is a bit more humane.

4. I will try to mention positive things as well.

Ultimately you have to decide whether you feel strongly enough to make a review that an author may not like. It is easy to say you like something, or that you hated it, but it isn't so easy to say why. Explaining why you feel the way you do about something will help those authors who wish to improve, and they will most likely thank you for your thoughtful response. Of course there are those you mentioned that will hunt you down and kill you. Just to be on the safe side, I'd stay close to the water. :D

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 02/22/05 at 10:57 pm

I love all comments and ratings, good or bad, as long as they are somewhat accurate. Many times, the people who hate a parody for its content alone will rate pacing or overall quality low just for spite.  >:(

I have been known to give "constructive criticism" to a newbie right when they jump in--some have taken offense to it, some not. At least I try not to come off mean-spirited.

For the record, your comments to this newbie were accurate and fair. When you did see something in one of my songs you liked, you did not hesitate to mention that as well. You were one of two reviewers that made me re-evaluate and revise at least one song (I still need to re-work a couple of the others). :)

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 02/22/05 at 11:07 pm

On my parodies, I want people to be candid and brutally honest. But only if they include the word "masterpiece." All other comments will be reported as inappropriate.

xoxox
Spaff

You forgot to mention the words genius, gifted, and brilliant.

Kim. 

Written By: K1chyd on 02/22/05 at 11:25 pm

xoxox
Spaff

:D LOL! That explains sooo much! And the implication is of course that if we payed EVEN MORE attention to your songs subpages we would - occationally - be able to sometimes see a negative commment before its quick removal?  :P

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/22/05 at 11:42 pm

Yes, Peterchyd, MORE attention. Or, as Billy Idol would say, MO MO MO MO MOWWW. That's what it's all about.

And Kim, I appreciate your commentary above. And you're definitely on the right track with this...

the words genius, gifted, and brilliant.

...but I'm sorry - it's either "masterpiece" or DELETE DELETE DELETE.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: STG on 02/23/05 at 4:55 am

All we are saying is give us feedback............

Sorry, got caught in the moment of a very corny parody.

Rex,
I believe you should have nothing to fear. I, in fact, love criticism; unless it says 'suck', 'improvement', 'crap', 'amateurish', 'immaturish', and 'wow, you said that there was a time you were good, when was that?'

Aside from those words (and phrases) you're all set to go.
But beware you shall get feedback for whatever feedback you dish.

who doesn't?

Written By: Rex on 02/23/05 at 7:31 am

I am becoming more and more aware that I have stumbled upon a community of talented and generous individuals. I no longer worry about being tracked down and killed (well, except by Arwen  ;)). Thank you all for your comments on this and my other postings.

Oh, and Spaff -- masterpieces! Every one! Really!  ;D

Written By: Double E on 02/23/05 at 4:23 pm

I believe clarity is the key! There's a big difference in "Hey, your pacing's bad!" and "I think the pacing's a little off in your second verse." One's specific (and semiconstructive) and the other is just... not. I think you can see the difference.

If people are jerks don't read their stuff. Well... I won't say that; they may have a good one someday (hahahahahaha... right) But you don't have to feel obligated to like it ;).

The only people I know who might hunt you down are those government types. You know the ones!

-E²

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/26/05 at 5:14 am

Of course, you can always leave your honest feedback under a pseudonym, if you're worried about it.  ;)

I agree with you Leo....I freely admit that Amiright can be a great ego-stroker, and it can be a bit tough getting any sort of criticism...I don't mind as long as it's done in a constructive and supportive way. I'm not averse to giving my honest opinion...I gave Alvin a 4 for "funny" the other day and indirectly got called a nimrod (not by Al, of course)...and I like giving new writers tips or advice (bighead that I am) on how to tighten up their work. In the end, everyone's different; go with what works for you.
And of course, use a pseudonym if you want...mine's "Michael Pacholek".... ;)

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 02/26/05 at 5:20 am

I no longer worry about being tracked down and killed (well, except by Arwen  ;)).

And Rex, you REALLY gotta worry about that! I once failed to use the work "fantastic" in one of my reviews of Arwen's parodies....apparently, not even the FBI relocation and protection program can save me now....

Written By: MooRocca on 02/26/05 at 8:37 am

And of course, use a pseudonym if you want...mine's "Michael Pacholek"....

Oh yeah, admitting THAT's going to win you a lotta love, Kristof!  Hee hee!

Seriously, MP gets a lot of flack for his comments, but from the very first time I submitted, I've always looked very forward to seeing what, if anything, he'd say about my submissions. 

Written By: Arwen on 02/27/05 at 10:50 am

And Rex, you REALLY gotta worry about that! I once failed to use the work "fantastic" in one of my reviews of Arwen's parodies....apparently, not even the FBI relocation and protection program can save me now....

LOL! 

Way to make me break my "I'm not going to post on this thread anymore" promise, Kristof!

Oh yeah, admitting THAT's going to win you a lotta love, Kristof! Hee hee!

Seriously, MP gets a lot of flack for his comments, but from the very first time I submitted, I've always looked very forward to seeing what, if anything, he'd say about my submissions.

Right on, MooRocca.

Except...when I first started posting, I couldn't figure that Mr. Pacholek out...he didn't automatically love me as the rest of the world usually does.  But eventually he came around...he's one of my favorite guys these days...

Always honest, yet always smitten with me... ;)

Written By: Spaff.com on 02/27/05 at 12:19 pm

Oh, and Spaff -- masterpieces! Every one! Really!  ;D

Your training come along good, Grasshopper.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Rex on 02/27/05 at 1:49 pm

Your training come along good, Grasshopper.

Ooohh... new song idea! "Grashopper" at age 83! Race ya!

Written By: Rex on 02/27/05 at 2:38 pm

It's so easy to win when the other party doesn't know about the race!  ;)

Tune: "It Was a Very Good Year"

When I was 17
I was a Shaolin trainee
And I learned about life from Master Po and old Master Kan
Each morning at dawn we would all convene
When I was 17

When I was 21
I put my arms around a pot
That burned images of tiger and dragon into my skin
I was Shaolin, but it came undone
When I was 21

When I was 35
I wandered through America
Searching in vain for Daniel Caine, my brother they said
With a price on my head, dead or alive
When I was 35

And now so few recall
The greatness of the Kung Fu brand
And at age 83, I’ve got to pee twelve times a day
And my martial arts display is not in demand
Come snatch this pebble from my hand

Written By: Kim West on 02/27/05 at 4:05 pm

When I was 17
I was a Shaolin trainee
When I was 17

When I was 21
When I was 21

When I was 35
When I was 35

And now so few recall

Very funny stuff. ;D

My only personal problem with it, and please understand it has nothing to do with your parody in the least. It's just that I couldn't stop hearing William Shatner singing the original song "It was a very good year". He so mangled that song, "Lucy In the Sky" and "Tambourine Man" that I…simply…can't…take his voice…and ERace IT…FROM my MIND!

I actually can visualize Captain Kirk, with his sleeves rolled up, screaming in agony as his arms make contact with that iron pot. Not a pretty site let me tell you, poured the contents of the pot on the master.

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 02/27/05 at 4:23 pm

Yes, Peterchyd, MORE attention. Or, as Billy Idol would say, MO MO MO MO MOWWW. That's what it's all about.

And Kim, I appreciate your commentary above. And you're definitely on the right track with this...

...but I'm sorry - it's either "masterpiece" or DELETE DELETE DELETE.

xoxox
Spaff

Masterpieces, every one of your works, of that there can be no doubt.

I particularly liked the one "Superfrog (It's Not easy to be green)." You managed to take that wonderfully sweet Kermit and present him in a simply whimsical light with a song that was originally a somewhat serious. You pulled it of as if it were the easiest of things to do, yet, I marvel at the talent that pulled off such a feat.

I curtsy to the song parody master.

Kim.

Written By: Rex on 02/27/05 at 4:42 pm

I actually can visualize Captain Kirk, with his sleeves rolled up, screaming in agony as his arms make contact with that iron pot. Not a pretty site let me tell you, poured the contents of the pot on the master.

KIRK: Spock! What have I done!

SPOCK: It appears that you have emptied a large pot of burning coals onto an aged Chinese gentleman.

KIRK: Bones! Can you save him!

MCCOY: He's burned pretty badly, Jim. But burns are nothing to 23rd century medicine.

KIRK: Master! Are you all right!

MASTER: Hieeeeeeeee-yah!

EVERYONE APPLAUDS.

Written By: Kim West on 02/27/05 at 10:45 pm

KIRK: Spock! What have I done!

SPOCK: It appears that you have emptied a large pot of burning coals onto an aged Chinese gentleman.

KIRK: Bones! Can you save him!

MCCOY: He's burned pretty badly, Jim. But burns are nothing to 23rd century medicine.

KIRK: Master! Are you all right!

MASTER: Hieeeeeeeee-yah!

EVERYONE APPLAUDS.

Ah, yes! I remember! That was a very good year! ;D

Kim.

Written By: AdamEcc on 02/28/05 at 9:26 am

As other people have said, coments like "you suck" are generally pointless (and rather hurtful at times), unless the person gives reasons.  Comments like "your rhyming was off" or "too simplistic" (to paraphrase things that have been said of some of my stuff) can be quite beneficial, though.  Whilst the lack of a "wow, this is excellent!" may initially be a bit of an ego bruiser, those with a bit of sense will get past that and think "hey.. that's something I should work on for my next song".

I've had some really nice comments posted to some of my parodies, largely because I paid attention to the criticisms of my earlier ones and worked on certain areas.

Written By: Spaff.com on 03/07/05 at 11:33 pm

When I was 17
I was a Shaolin trainee
When I was 17

When I was 21
When I was 21

When I was 35
When I was 35

And now so few recall

You win. You win big.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Spaff.com on 03/07/05 at 11:46 pm

Masterpieces, every one of your works, of that there can be no doubt.

I particularly liked the one "Superfrog (It's Not easy to be green)." You managed to take that wonderfully sweet Kermit and present him in a simply whimsical light with a song that was originally a somewhat serious. You pulled it of as if it were the easiest of things to do, yet, I marvel at the talent that pulled off such a feat.

I curtsy to the song parody master.

Kim.

OK, now we're getting somewhere. If any of y'all need an example of how you should be commenting on my parodies, please feel free to follow Kim's example here. (I'm still waiting for someone to leave a comment like that about "Anal Vice.")

Stellar job, Kim. Thank you.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 03/07/05 at 11:46 pm

I can think of only one instance where what appeared to be "constructive criticism" got me more than a little edgy - In an otherwise complimentary comment someone made mention of my pace being off in places...on a song I spent HOURS working on in that area to make sure it did not have any pacing problems...it was a tricky one to do and it had a political edge, so I wanted to be sure it was sharp in every area possible.  Geez, I SANG the damn thing with the CD track about 30 times just to make sure...so that remark really hit my "Red" button...I was even annoyed about it a day or two later...and I really try not to be that way...it's SO lame...got a lot of better things to do and ways to feel...

Well, that's my nickels worth on the subject...

pr

Written By: PRobinson on 03/07/05 at 11:54 pm

LOL! 

Way to make me break my "I'm not going to post on this thread anymore" promise, Kristof!

Right on, MooRocca.

Except...when I first started posting, I couldn't figure that Mr. Pacholek out...he didn't automatically love me as the rest of the world usually does.  But eventually he came around...he's one of my favorite guys these days...

Always honest, yet always smitten with me... ;)

Know what?  This reminds me - Arwen, I don't think I've had a fight with you since...maybe late in October of last year...so what gives?  You still love me the same way as you did then, don't you...(not saying how much or what that exactly is)...?

pr

Written By: Arwen on 03/08/05 at 12:13 am

Know what?  This reminds me - Arwen, I don't think I've had a fight with you since...maybe late in October of last year...so what gives?  You still love me the same way as you did then, don't you...(not saying how much or what that exactly is)...?

pr

Paul...nothing to worry about.  I haven't been fighting with ANYONE lately...(seriously...check the boards)...I am sure that when I get fiesty again, I'll give your ass a proper kicking...I am sure you'll feel the love...or at the very least, my shoe... ;)

Written By: Rex on 03/08/05 at 7:23 am

You win. You win big.

xoxox
Spaff

How does one respond to such honest perception? Ah, yes, "Elves Gone Wild" order form, here I come.  :)

Written By: Step-chan on 03/15/05 at 10:55 am

I like it when people leave comments about my parodies, regardless if they are
positive, negative or asking why I didn't do something particular on the the parody.

Feedback definitely helps as it shows me what others think of my work.
:) ;) 8)

Written By: PRobinson on 03/17/05 at 12:50 am

Paul...nothing to worry about.  I haven't been fighting with ANYONE lately...(seriously...check the boards)...I am sure that when I get fiesty again, I'll give your a** a proper kicking...I am sure you'll feel the love...or at the very least, my shoe... ;)

'Supe', I feel better already...

pr

Check for new replies or respond here...