inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Submitting stuff to amiright from Microsoft products

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/05 at 2:37 pm

I beefed up the ability to strip garbage MS characters (Smart quotes, backwards apostrophes, etc) from the parody submission engine, and a few other places.  It won't cure the existing parodies submitted with this garbage in it, but it will prevent more from having it.

Subject: Re: Submitting stuff to amiright from Microsoft products

Written By: Gonfunko on 03/02/05 at 3:41 pm

I beefed up the ability to strip garbage MS characters (Smart quotes, backwards apostrophes, etc) from the parody submission engine, and a few other places.  It won't cure the existing parodies submitted with this garbage in it, but it will prevent more from having it.

Hopefully this will help some. I'll submit from my Mac from now on just to be sure.... ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/02/05 at 4:02 pm

Hopefully this will help some. I'll submit from my Mac from now on just to be sure.... ::)

maybe, maybe not.  Not sure if Word on the Mac has the same stupid Smart Quotes function, or if it behaves the same way or not.

Written By: Kim West on 03/02/05 at 10:44 pm

It is possible to change the properties of "Word" so that any document you can compose will not have all of that extra garbage like "smart quotes"

Of course that means doing quite a bit of digging into menus and changing things manually. I didn't even know that stuff existed until I submitted a few stories and had it pointed out to me. MS really should not try to re-invent the wheel so many times. Every time they do, it becomes that much more complicated. Many of the features they add to their products are somewhat useless unless you are really going to do all of those extra things. Having a word processing program that just defaults to a standard processor would be a feature I would love to have.

Kim.

Written By: Rick D on 03/02/05 at 11:49 pm

Chucky--I don't know what you did, but when I submitted one tonight from my MS word file, everywhere I used an apostrophe added a bunch of crap on your submit screen. I had to go in and correct it there. Hold on, I'll go back and get an example.

Written By: Rick D on 03/02/05 at 11:52 pm

Membership
It‼sup>TMs an old con man‼sup>TMs shell game

See? What is "!! sup> TMs"??

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/03/05 at 8:26 am

Are there guidelines about which characters are allowed and which aren't?  I've had some pretty ordinary characters get mangled. 

Also, does the preview screen always reveal character problems, or is it possible that a character will look fine in preview and look different when it's actually posted?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/03/05 at 12:27 pm

Are there guidelines about which characters are allowed and which aren't?  I've had some pretty ordinary characters get mangled. 

Also, does the preview screen always reveal character problems, or is it possible that a character will look fine in preview and look different when it's actually posted?

the preview should translate the characters into their proper equivalants.  due to the nature of the system, it's not easy to test what will show up, and what won't.

as to the question about what's valid, anything past ASCII code 127 is considered suspect, and might not translate properly.  If you are trying to use Trademark and Copyright symbols, they should look like this: &175;

Check for new replies or respond here...