inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When you look at a song

Written By: Kim West on 03/08/05 at 9:57 pm

When you read someone's parody, and you are not quite sure how the original song goes, then what do you typically do?

Do you search on the net for the lyrics and melody?

Do you just try to find the lyrics?

Do you simply not bother to look up anything?

I know for myself, I will try to find the original song on the net. I usually try to focus on finding a midi version because that almost always works for me. I can at least get an idea for the melody. I also try to look up the lyrics of the original song, and this always works for me without fail. I immediately find results on the net.

I've had a recent experience with a parody I wrote in which the original song is rather rare. Two commentators seemed interested in learning more about the original song (I guess as a result of what I had written) but didn't seem to want to pursue the matter any further. Usually when I am curious about something, I'll google till I find out about it.

Now, please do not get me wrong, I am not complaining. I realize that people will naturally be drawn to songs they are most familiar with. The fact that I actually had one reviewer know the song in question, was a nice surprise for me, and that the fact that the reviewer did give me fives also made me feel my effort was worth it. The whole matter is mostly curiosity in how people go about reviewing parodies in general, rather than saying one must do it this way or that. I personally respect both commentators, and I am flattered that they did take the time to read my parody, and leave the comments that they did.

Kim.

Subject: Re: When you look at a song

Written By: PRobinson on 03/08/05 at 10:11 pm

Kim,  Not being "DSL'd" "Broadbanded" or whatever else gives you a high-speed Internet connection I am reluctant to do much downloading...it takes a lot of time and I really can't do anything else while that is going on without running the risk of blowing the download and maybe who knows what else...So I prefer not to download, although I must admit that most of the times I have been coaxed to do so I have been rewarded with some good laughs and entertaining parodies...

Paul Robinson

Written By: Kim West on 03/08/05 at 11:06 pm

PRobinson:
Kim,  Not being "DSL'd" "Broadbanded" or whatever else gives you a high-speed Internet connection I am reluctant to do much downloading...

Kim:
I can understand that having once used dial up. Still, looking up lyrics to a song does not take all that much time, even with dial up, so if you wish to at least know what the original lyrics of a song then you can do so. My question to you is. Do you at least look up lyrics? I know that even the simplest of pages can take forever to display on dial up, so you do have my sympathies in any case.

Written By: Arwen on 03/08/05 at 11:50 pm

Kim:
I can understand that having once used dial up. Still, looking up lyrics to a song does not take all that much time, even with dial up, so if you wish to at least know what the original lyrics of a song then you can do so. My question to you is. Do you at least look up lyrics? I know that even the simplest of pages can take forever to display on dial up, so you do have my sympathies in any case.

It really depends on where I am.  I'm not going to do a lot of searching for/downloading of actual music when I'm at work.  I will do it at home if it's not past my bedtime... :)

Often, though, a parody will be of a song that I know that I used to know...but I just can't place...usually, in that case, simply checking out the lyrics will be enough to jaunt my memory so that I can appreciate the comedic brilliance...

Written By: Rex on 03/09/05 at 9:08 am

I hate to admit it, but it depends on how mush I like the parody lyrics. If I like them I'll perform a quick search for the original lyrics and compare. Not too long ago I did this and was awed by how well the author played off the original. If the parody lyrics just don't resonate with me for whatever reason, then I usually skip them and move on.

Written By: MooRocca on 03/09/05 at 9:37 am

I look for an author-provided link to a copy of the original.  

Lyrics are fine for jogging memory in regards to songs I do know, but they're grossly insufficient to rate parodies to songs I do not know.  There's a LOT more to nailing down the pacing of a song than matching syllable counts and end of line rhyme schemes.  

Written By: Armstrong on 03/09/05 at 10:24 am

personally I usually only look at parodies where I KTOS but maybe that's just me.

Written By: Rex on 03/09/05 at 10:41 am

Lyrics are fine for jogging memory in regards to songs I do know, but they're grossly insufficient to rate parodies to songs I do not know.  There's a LOT more to nailing down the pacing of a song than matching syllable counts and end of line rhyme schemes.  

Absolutely. But aside from pacing, looking at the original lyrics can give you an appreciation of how the parody author used those lyrics in the parody (if the author chose to do that).

Written By: Gonfunko on 03/09/05 at 1:58 pm

In the kind of case you describe, I usually just vote for humor and rely on other voter's opions on pacing. I don't think I've ever bothered to google the original song.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/09/05 at 5:26 pm

I don't have time or wherewithal at my office to listen to OS's I don't know, but I try not to let a DKTOS get in the way of my enjoyment if I happen to click on it. If I do know the song, I will be more likely to click on it and give it a read.

Written By: Kim West on 03/09/05 at 9:01 pm

It really depends on where I am.  I'm not going to do a lot of searching for/downloading of actual music when I'm at work.  I will do it at home if it's not past my bedtime... :)

Often, though, a parody will be of a song that I know that I used to know...but I just can't place...usually, in that case, simply checking out the lyrics will be enough to jaunt my memory so that I can appreciate the comedic brilliance...

I do all of my surfing at home for the simple reason I do not have access to the net at work, having said that, I'd probably not use the computer at work for casual surfing at any rate. I can easily see how the boss might be put off if your were doing lots of downloading of songs and such.

I can also see looking at just lyrics as way to go if you were already familiar with the music. That certainly makes sense to me.

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 03/09/05 at 9:04 pm

I hate to admit it, but it depends on how mush I like the parody lyrics. If I like them I'll perform a quick search for the original lyrics and compare. Not too long ago I did this and was awed by how well the author played off the original. If the parody lyrics just don't resonate with me for whatever reason, then I usually skip them and move on.

I have noticed that about you when you've reviewed some of my parodies. You will make comparisons to the original lyrics. At least you've made mention about my play on words when compared to the original.

I've also noticed your avatar has the super power to change shape from time to time. I loved the penguin, and the fellow with the huge tennis implement was cute, but Underdog? Hmmm…Underdog. Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 03/09/05 at 9:05 pm

I do agree there is much more to writing a good song then just fine tuning the mechanics.

You prefer to have a link to a MP3, or the equivalent of the original song. PRobinson prefers not to link to such things because of being limited in terms of broadband. It would seem that in order to remedy the situation I would have had to provide a link to the original lyrics for people like PRobinson who can't download MP3s, and also provide a link to an Mp3 of the original song for other people who do like to have the entire experience in order to compare.

I did provide a link to the MP3 of the original song I parodied, but I did not provide the link for the lyrics I referenced to for my song. Perhaps that is what was really needed in my own personal situation. Well I shall provide links to both and post a link to the review section of my song.

Kim.

Written By: neminem on 03/10/05 at 1:16 am

It depends on how much I care. If it looks really brilliant, I search my school's lan, people have a lot of music here. If that doesn't work, I check Kazaa (the vast majority of songs then get deleted after I hear the parody, so it's at least a pretty close approximation of using it legally :)). If I can't find any mp3s, then I go to lyrics sites. But that takes more effort.

If I don't care that much, I just glance over it, making up whatever tune I feel like ;D.

Of course, when I enter a parody contest in a contest, I provide the original source song, so nobody will ever have that problem, no matter how rare it is.

Written By: Rex on 03/11/05 at 9:25 am

I've also noticed your avatar has the super power to change shape from time to time.

Still looking for "the one"...

...the fellow with the huge tennis implement was cute...

Cuter than you can imagine.  ;)

...but Underdog? Hmmm…Underdog. Now that's a name I have not heard in a long time.

Us folks with "U" names stick together...

Written By: Kim West on 03/11/05 at 9:02 pm

Still looking for "the one"...

Still looking for the perfect avatar? Well do you have a few in mind or is it an impulse thing?

I know for myself that I've stuck with mine for a couple of years now. That is to say I've used it on several other message boards. I did briefly think about using this picture for an avatar, but I felt it looked a bit too menacing.

Written By: Rex on 03/12/05 at 8:13 am

Still looking for the perfect avatar? Well do you have a few in mind or is it an impulse thing?

Actually, I have a cartoon drawing of myself and the family that was done at Scarborough Faire a few years ago. I plan to scan that image and see if it will work. If not, I'll keep looking...

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/12/05 at 9:18 am

but I felt it looked a bit too menacing.

my h. o. - NOT menacing - sexy as all get out

but that's just my h. o.

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...