inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: More voter fraud from Offender

Written By: Dangling Chad on 03/10/05 at 10:33 am

Chucky G, please check Offender's author list. All of his parodies have picked up heaps of new votes since you last deleted the fake ones.

Here's just one example--only three commenters, but over 30 votes.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/spankyandourgang2.shtml

Ever since he got caught, he's been claiming he does this just to be a problem. Can you get rid of the problem?

Subject: Re: More voter fraud from Offender

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/05 at 11:40 am

Chucky G, please check Offender's author list. All of his parodies have picked up heaps of new votes since you last deleted the fake ones.

Here's just one example--only three commenters, but over 30 votes.
http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/spankyandourgang2.shtml

Ever since he got caught, he's been claiming he does this just to be a problem. Can you get rid of the problem?

why is it a problem?

they are his parodies.  If inflating his vote counts makes him feel special, well, let him.  There's no charts to compete on.  if you continue to egg him on, it'll only encourage him. 

seriousily, not worth my time.

Written By: Dangling Chad on 03/10/05 at 1:36 pm

Votes are the site's only parody evaluation method. Visitors looking for the best parodies rely on the voting results that show up in places like the parody authors list
http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/
Cheaters pump up those numbers but you have better things to do than deal with cheaters. HOw about taking the voting results off the author list then? That would take away the incentive to cheat.

I'm not trying to be a pain. I only complain about cheaters because they take away attention from the writers who play fair.

Written By: Arwen on 03/10/05 at 2:12 pm

I have never chosen to read or rate a parody based on the number of votes it has, let alone by how many votes the author has. 

I frequently check the recent comment page, and if a comment catches my eye, I'll read the parody...

...but for the most part, I check the new parody entries, and read the ones I know the song of...or that I love the author of...or that the parody title strikes me as funny.

I'm with Chucky on this one...it just doesn't matter.

Written By: EmiLoca on 03/10/05 at 2:18 pm

If you look at some parody authors on the list, it becomes painfully obvious of who's putting in their own 5-votes.  They're often overlooked anyway.  Just ignore the guy.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/10/05 at 2:26 pm

I seriously doubt people use a parody's ratings to judge whether or not to read it.  I think people pretty much go by whether they like the author's work and/or whether they know the song.

And if on some occasion, someone does happen to go by the ratings, and then discover the votes are at odds with their own assessment of the parody, I think they'd pretty quickly realize that:

1. The opinions of others are not necessarily to be trusted, or

2. The author has stacked the deck, and is probably not worth their time in the future

Don't worry -- if you write good schitt and use reasonably well-known tunes, people will read it.

Written By: Leo Jay on 03/10/05 at 2:26 pm

I'm with Chucky on this one...it just doesn't matter.

I'm sure he'll sleep better tonight knowing you've got his back.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/10/05 at 4:18 pm

Votes are the site's only parody evaluation method. Visitors looking for the best parodies rely on the voting results that show up in places like the parody authors list
http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/
Cheaters pump up those numbers but you have better things to do than deal with cheaters. HOw about taking the voting results off the author list then? That would take away the incentive to cheat.

I'm not trying to be a pain. I only complain about cheaters because they take away attention from the writers who play fair.

This particular author is #200 on the authors list.  I think by the time someone scrolls that far down the authors page, they're not really looking too hard at the vote counts to judge who they should look at.  I'd be pretty surprised if new visitors to the site even look at the vote tallies on the author page at all.

Removing the totals from that page would probably remove the very last incentive anyone would have for pumping up their totals.  If a few people are doing it, I'll certainly consider it.  So far, there's only one author trying to "abuse" the system.  I have a little script to check duplicate votes, and none of the other parodies that show up with duplicates, show many duplicate votes at all, and don't all belong to two or three other people.

Written By: Kim West on 03/10/05 at 4:21 pm

It is pretty strange to think that someone would artificailly inflate their own votes and comments in order to gain…ummm…I don't know what really. If we are not in competition with one another, then what would be the point other than annoy other authors. That sounds like it is the case with this Offender.

Personally, I'd rather have no votes and no comments for a song I wrote instead of faking a bunch of meaningless rubbish. It certainly will not make your work any more appealing.

Kim.

Written By: Kim West on 03/10/05 at 4:31 pm

This particular author is #200 on the authors list.  I think by the time someone scrolls that far down the authors page, they're not really looking too hard at the vote counts to judge who they should look at.  I'd be pretty surprised if new visitors to the site even look at the vote tallies on the author page at all.

Hey! I'm 214 on the list, and Offender is 200?! That's not bloody fair! I changed my mind. 

Can I also inflate my scores to ridiculous numbers as well?

Just kidding, really I am. :D

Kim.

Check for new replies or respond here...