inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: News items on the front page, do people check these out?

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/15/05 at 3:57 pm

I know most of the stories don't get many comments, and I'm just wondering if people check out the links at all?

Do people know they can suggest links as well?

I'd really like to encourage others to post links to humorous news stories from other sites on the front page.  Currently there's one or two submissions from other people every month, and I'd rather see that many every day.

If there's something about the design people don't like, let me know.  Is it hard to read?  Maybe longer summaries of the stories? Ability to post multiple links? Anything?

Subject: Re: News items on the front page, do people check these out?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/15/05 at 4:18 pm

I know most of the stories don't get many comments, and I'm just wondering if people check out the links at all?

I'd really like to encourage others to post links to humorous news stories from other sites on the front page.  Currently there's one or two submissions from other people every month, and I'd rather see that many every day.

If there's something about the design people don't like, let me know.  Is it hard to read?  Maybe longer summaries of the stories? Ability to post multiple links? Anything?

Chucky - I have checked out the links and have written some parodies based on ideas there, and would like them to stay

However I hardly ever go to the home page where they're listed, as I have New songs, Latest comments, etc. bookmarked

If you put a link to latest news stories on the left with other Song Parody links, I'd definitely go there and use them more often

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/15/05 at 4:58 pm

Chucky - I have checked out the links and have written some parodies based on ideas there, and would like them to stay

However I hardly ever go to the home page where they're listed, as I have New songs, Latest comments, etc. bookmarked

If you put a link to latest news stories on the left with other Song Parody links, I'd definitely go there and use them more often

consider it done.

I made it a huge left-hand link, since it's really it's own section.  Not sure if I should link to the archive of all the entries, or if I should just link to the homepage.  I do know, that I dislike the look of the archive section, it's not very good looking.

Written By: Gonfunko on 03/15/05 at 5:14 pm

I don't make any special effort to check them out, but if one of them catches my eye while I'm checking out the new parodies, I'll usually have a look.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/15/05 at 6:50 pm

consider it done.

I made it a huge left-hand link, since it's really it's own section.  Not sure if I should link to the archive of all the entries, or if I should just link to the homepage. 

thanks, Chucky, and I think linking straight to the archives is better, because some old news stories still inspire (I got inspired to do a Gwyneth Paltrow/Apple  parody from scrolling thru old news items)

even better would be for the link to be under the Song Parodies sub-heading, so parodists can't miss it - but it's definitely more accessible now than before

Written By: MooRocca on 03/16/05 at 8:28 am

I go through spurts of interest in them.  For a couple of weeks, I can't get enough of them and I'll read all of them that I have time for -- excepting those I've already read elsewhere -- and I click on the "comments & parodies" links for them, as well.  Then for a few weeks, I'll read only those that catch my eye when I'm on one of the pages that carries the new articles at the top. 

I've started to submit articles, several times, only to find, upon clicking over to Amiright, that I've just been beaten to the punch by someone else.  :)  I think the one I submitted, recently, (the bizarre reality show where the winner gets to BE Janis Joplin) is the only one I've actually submitted.  I did link one of my parodies to one, once.  It promptly got low-voted (which I fully expected, considering the article and that my parody's title was "Avril H8er" -- heh heh.)  So far as I could tell, that's the only rating the link generated.   

Just yesterday, I wrote (most of) one specifically to link from the inane thread you mentioned, recently.  But I was doing too many other things at once and by the time I had most of it written, it was painfully obvious that it was coming out like "parody by numbers."  (blehhhh)  So I trashed it.  I might start over from scratch later this week or early next, if I get the time and inclination. 

Written By: PRobinson on 03/17/05 at 12:48 am

ChuckyG - Once in a while I do a "catch-up" and read a bunch of them...but most of the time it passes below my radar screen, for whatever reason.

pr

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 03/21/05 at 5:31 pm

just posted a parody to one today, Chucky, inspired by your comment (was that what you were asking for?)

I'll certainly keep an eye on the News Stories though - they're a great source of ideas

Written By: Icy on 03/21/05 at 8:29 pm

I read 'em, as long as it isn't random complaining about some bubblegum pop act. They go away eventually, no need to complain or poke fun at them. Only keeps them around longer.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/21/05 at 9:03 pm

just posted a parody to one today, Chucky, inspired by your comment (was that what you were asking for?)

I'll certainly keep an eye on the News Stories though - they're a great source of ideas

nah.. I'm actually hoping people will suggest more news links...

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 11:15 am

Considering the wast amount of parodies about Michael Jackson and that there's no reason to believe that they will stop coming over the next month or two, I'd like to suggest putting a link a newsflash about him on the absolut top would be appropriate right now. The only problem would be to choose what news story to have as an excuse.

Hmm... I think I know...

Written By: neminem on 03/23/05 at 5:20 pm

I do indeed notice them. I make a point to submit any relevent links I find, too (not that that's too often).

Check for new replies or respond here...