inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: amiright hall of fame voting committee... who wants in?

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 12:09 pm

Since saying the amiright hall of fame needs to get started doesn't do anything, I'm taking action to get it started. I'm willing to handle the nominations... and i have been around longer than just about anyone here so i feel i can do a  pretty good job at figuring out who deserves to be nominated. But i need a committee to decide who actually gets in. It will consist of six people who have been around here at least a year but longer is better. The less time you've been here, the more research of the candidates will be necessary to make a judgment.  I will let the first six people who volunteer and have been here long enough be part of the committee.
      The way this will work is each month, i will nominate eight people who have been around amiright at least two years and have been major contributors to the site. Each member of the committee picks, in order, the five thought to be most worthy of the hall of fame. The five with the most points in the same 554321 format as the parody contests are inducted into the hall. Being a member of the voting committee does not guarantee induction, but it provides the advantage of being able to vote for yourself once your name comes up.
    So who wants to do this? 

Subject: Re: amiright hall of fame voting committee... who wants in?

Written By: Tinkerbell on 03/16/05 at 12:26 pm

Even if judges who've been here less than 2 years are expected to do historical research to form their judgements, allowing people who've been here less than 2 years to be judges while limiting nominees only to people who've been here at least 2 years is not fair.  Seems to me you have a bias against at least some people who've been here less than 2 years.  I don't think you'll see much interest in this until you open it up to anybody and everybody, regardless of their Amiright tenure.  Anything less is simply unfair and biased.

Written By: Tinkerbell on 03/16/05 at 1:06 pm

Ethan said, "The way this will work is each month, i will nominate eight people who have been around amiright at least two years and have been major contributors to the site".

That means that this whole "amiright hall of fame" is based on having a group of judges pick from a list of Ethan's personal favorites.  So, this whole "amiright hall of fame" thing is Ethan's own private, personal hall-of-fame, filtered through a group of judges, nothing more.  Because it's all Ethan's own personal, private hall-of-fame, I take back my earlier complaints about bias and unfairness.  I have no right to criticize what
Ethan does with his time.  Ethan, I apologize, and I wish you well with your private little hall of fame project.

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 1:27 pm

i'd be willing to accept help with the nominations but my fear is that if the responsibility is spread out too much then nothing will ever get done. I will not let politics get in the way of nominations  and  i'll try to consider the feedback authors have received more than my own personal opinion. No one else seems to have any suggestions about this so i feel we should do this or we'll have to deny  lot of people the respect that they deserve.

Written By: Tinkerbell on 03/16/05 at 1:38 pm

i'd be willing to accept help with the nominations but my fear is that if the responsibility is spread out too much then nothing will ever get done. I will not let politics get in the way of nominations  and  i'll try to consider the feedback authors have received more than my own personal opinion. No one else seems to have any suggestions about this so i feel we should do this or we'll have to deny   lot of people the respect that they deserve.

Ethan, if you "accept help with the nominations", "not let politics get in the way of nominations", and "try to consider the feedback authors have received more than my own personal opinion", you cannot escape the reality that the nominations are still originating from you and you alone when all you do is "accept help" without making the nominating process fully democratic on a 1-nominator-1-vote basis...

...and that is OK, Ethan, that is OK...

...all that means is that, perhaps, it might be wise to re-name this from "amiright hall of fame" to "Ethan's amiright hall of fame", because you are not going to permit all "amirighters" to vote in the nominating process.  What you are proposing is your own private "club's" hall-of-fame --- and that's OK --- but it would be wise to name it as such.

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 1:47 pm

leo - i think simply inducting everyone with enough parodies doesn't give as much honor as inducting people due to earned respect.  There have been talks of the amiright hall of fame long before you camee to amiright (unless i just didn't know you were here) they just never got off the ground.

tink - i don't even know if what you're saying is worthy of a response since apparently you won't believe me when i say i'm not going to make this a personal favorites club.

I've got an idea though... how about the person doing the nominations rotates - i'll do it for three months and then someone from the committee switches jobs with me and then someone else on the committee switches jobs with them

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 1:50 pm

all halls of fame have a bias toward experience. Would you like to see linkin' park get inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame next year. I doubt it... and that's what could happen if halls of fame favored what is popular now instead of what has stood the test of time.

Written By: Tinkerbell on 03/16/05 at 2:08 pm

tink - i don't even know if what you're saying is worthy of a response since apparently you won't believe me when i say i'm not going to make this a personal favorites club.

Ethan - all I'm trying to say is that unless the nominating is done by a broadly-based fully-democratic voting group, the nominations cannot help but be influenced by the subconscious biases of the one or the few who do the nominating.

I hear you when you say you are not going to make this a personal favorites club, Ethan, and I believe that you are sincere in that statement. 

I simply don't think you are acknowledging that, as hard as you might try to be perfectly fair, you will still run the risk of being inadvertently and innocently biased by your own subconscious and/or emotional inclinations. 

And like I said before, that is perfectly OK --- it just means that it might not be accurate to call it "amiright hall of fame".

But what do you mean by "earned respect"?  Is it about something besides the parodies?  If someone writes brilliant parodies but doesn't hang out on the boards to chat and schmooze, are they not HOF-worthy?

"earned respect" .... there, that's an example of what I've been talking about .... who determines what "earned respect" means?  Ethan and a small band of cohorts?  Or everybody at Amiright, democratically and fairly?

Again, Ethan, I acknowledge your insistence that you won't make this a personal club of "Ethan's favorites" ... nevertheless, if you limit the privilege of making the nominations to only you and your committee, there will always be some doubt as to the presence of unintentional --- that's unintentional --- bias.

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 2:13 pm

this shouldn't be about anything but parodies, but without voting someone might be assured entry simply by writing a lot of parodies that aren't very good. Of course anyone whose written over 300 will probably get nominated eventually for sheer prolificness, but it shouldn't make someone a shoo-in.

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 2:15 pm

ok i'll allow anyone who wants to volunteer to be a judge as long as they promise to be as fair as they can... and i have no problem with open suggestions for nominations but making them anything more thann suggestions would make things considerably more difficult

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 2:28 pm

yeah we'v got a system but granting HOF status  solely due to high ratings doesn't seem like it's going to encourage honesty. And do you really want to induct 50 or so people at once?

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 2:41 pm

ratings should be considered to some extent... but a ratings near 5 also ofen indicates that most of the votes come from authors who tend to give fives a lot as opposed to random site visitors that might not be as kind

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 3:34 pm

the problem with site votes is also that a lot of them were erased. Using these flawed statisics would kind of be like ignoring what current rock and roll hall of fame candidates did during half of the 1980s. Just wouldn't be right.

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 4:29 pm

So GWB is the greatest president ever since the rest aren't active presidents? i know that it's stretching it a bit but i really can't agree with all the relative neophytes on this thread. This is supposed to honor the past of amiright at least in part...we've got contests for the newer members that earlier writers never had

Written By: EthanM on 03/16/05 at 5:11 pm

I don't see why you have a problem with time requirements. A lot of current athletes are widely considered to be among the best ever... and they're not in the hall of fame. No band that started recording less than 25 years ago is in the rock and roll hall of fame even though not all of the best music ever was made by artists who were around in the seventies. Why should the amiright hall of fame be different?

And i said relative neophyte, not neophyte. I would really like to hear from someone other than the same three people

There are quite a lot of talented writers who have been around over two years. I don't see any reason why not to give the first people to contribute to amiright the first chance to be inducted. And in case you were wondering, i don't plan on nominating myself for the first month and maybe not the second either

Written By: . on 03/16/05 at 5:24 pm

And maybe nobody else is commenting, because it doesn't matter to anyone else. 

...sound of desert wind blowing...rustling of dried sagebrush and tumbleweeds...

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/16/05 at 5:27 pm

And maybe nobody else is commenting, because it doesn't matter to anyone else. 

It doesn't matter to me.

Not that I would be eligible anyway...

Written By: PRobinson on 03/17/05 at 12:44 am

With all due respect, Ethan, I think it's a bad idea...although I recognize that it comes from a sincere effort to recognize excellence...it's already generating more Heat than light...I think we all have a few author's in our heads who we feel are the 'creme de la creme' - and you couldn't get my TOP choices out of me with a crow-bar...because I would be slighting all the other very fine writers who might not be my PERSONAL favorites...for whatever reason...in my case a lot of it would have to do with what Original Songs they usually work with...so my votes would be likely be "old-fogey" biased...and I have already seen evidence of just how much young talent has come aboard here since I started posting...and I expect that number will continue to grow even more in the future...

Thanks for the soapbox...

pr

Written By: EthanM on 03/17/05 at 12:04 pm

so maybe it won't work... but it was worth a try. and now i seem like i'm constantly talking to myself

Written By: Armstrong on 03/17/05 at 1:33 pm

don't get me wrong ethan, i like the idea, and i'd be on board to work with it but maybe this would be a good topic to start discussion of the reemergence of the Amiright awards. Billy and Michael did a great job with these before, they were very entertaining. We now have song parody contests, so only songs that have been entered in a contest in that particular year would be a good way to decide possible nominees.

THEN with that together we could throw out a sitetime achievement award in there and include those members in some sort of hall of fame. I know Bill and STG are already hof members of the site so i'm sure they should have some say if they're still hanging around.

I conclusion, good idea, but no hof enters someone every month. I've been toying around with trying to revive the awards and i think this is maybe something we could collaborate on and start sometime this summer when things aren't so busy. thoughts?

Written By: EthanM on 03/17/05 at 2:26 pm

i like that amiright awards idea... it would be a lot easier to pick from songs entered in contests than from the thousands of songs submitted it a year, which is why it got unrealistic after the last one

Written By: STG on 03/18/05 at 10:42 pm

I would personally like to see this get off the ground. Not b/c I feel like I deserve to be in it but b/c there are authors out there who deserve the respect of many. Many new paroy artists do not know of the early people b/c they either submit rarely or do not exist (like they died off).
I would enjoy being on the comittee.

from S.T.G.

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/19/05 at 12:27 am

I too would like an amiright hall of fame...but one along the lines of what Chucky originally planned out when it was first suggested.  After that, Chucky has remained silent on this topic

Written By: K1chyd on 03/19/05 at 4:46 am

You know what they say:

"For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism."

"For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision."

"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

I think it's great that you are willing to go out of your way with your time and do something for the site and the community. I also, from experience, think that a Hall of Fame is probably not the best way to do that. In a community where I used to hang out before I found this place we had a couple of attempts to build HOFs, but more than anything else it seemed to build unnecessary animosity etc... **gets deja-vu from reading this thread**

So maybe something else...

I vaguely remember Chucky writing something about never being able to get around to write and/or maintain an up-to-date FAQ for the Front Page of AmIright.

Now, if you appoint yourself chairman and get your hands on THAT project (with Chucky's permission of course) I would be willing to be in the proofreading-and-making-suggestions committee (as long as you're not asking for input every darn day once the first glorious document is up).  :P

Written By: STG on 03/19/05 at 10:16 pm

I know Bill and STG are already hof members of the site so i'm sure they should have some say if they're still hanging around.

I am??????? I wasn't even aware of this honor??

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/21/05 at 12:57 am

I am??????? I wasn't even aware of this honor??

It might be because you and Tong (who I assume Bill is, not me...though I wouldnt complain if it were me lol)both received Lifetime achivement awards at the AmIRight awards

and if anyone is interested, if Michael and I did the awards for another year, it definitly would have been Phil who recieved it next....

Written By: STG on 03/21/05 at 1:31 pm

Yes, I remember making the speech for it, too.  Who was the one who gave the introduction for my LTA award

Written By: Armstrong on 03/21/05 at 2:59 pm

my bad. yeah that's what i meant. and bill tong too. And when does SOTM hit one year old? has it already? that would be a good time to reward recent parodies. It should only be about... 300 maybe? if that? And then there wouldn't be much room for complaining.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/21/05 at 3:03 pm

I too would like an amiright hall of fame...but one along the lines of what Chucky originally planned out when it was first suggested.  After that, Chucky has remained silent on this topic

you'd have to refresh my memory on this one, I don't recall what those guidelines would be. 

The real R'n'R Hall of Fame, has it's inducted members vote on the new members.  Probably not that effective, since I'm not sure all the past members who might be elected, would even want to keep up with the new nominees each year.  I'm not sure how the R'n'R Hall of Fame even picked their original members either.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/21/05 at 3:08 pm

I vaguely remember Chucky writing something about never being able to get around to write and/or maintain an up-to-date FAQ for the Front Page of AmIright.

Now, if you appoint yourself chairman and get your hands on THAT project (with Chucky's permission of course) I would be willing to be in the proofreading-and-making-suggestions committee (as long as you're not asking for input every darn day once the first glorious document is up).  :P

above all else, a comprehensive parody FAQ for the site, would be a huge, huge improvement for the site.  I know I cover some of the stuff that would be covered by one in the rules for submitting.  Other topics like when are updates done, what are votes, the history of various aspects of the site, all need some sort of coverage. 

The best thing to do, would be to start a topic, and ask people if they have questions about the site, or had questions about it when they first started, and then write all the questions, and let people who think they can answer them, answer them.  I'll fill in the gaps.

I'm not even sure if time is the question here for me, I could make the time.  The problem is that I'm so removed from being a user of the site (either as parody writer or reader) that I'm no longer sure what should be covered exactly.  Most FAQs have an organizer and then a bunch of writers.

Written By: EthanM on 03/21/05 at 4:23 pm

i think another good thing along the same lines as the FAQs that wouldn't take much effort would be to somehow highlight the articles on parody nwriting by bill tong, stg, and darkjon.  I think Those helped me a lot and maybe they'd help others if they were more visible

Written By: EthanM on 03/21/05 at 4:35 pm

this is the list of rock hall inductees if that helps:

http://rockhall.com/hof/allinductees.asp

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 1:47 pm

above all else, a comprehensive parody FAQ for the site, would be a huge, huge improvement for the site.  I know I cover some of the stuff that would be covered by one in the rules for submitting.  Other topics like when are updates done, what are votes, the history of various aspects of the site, all need some sort of coverage. 

The best thing to do, would be to start a topic, and ask people if they have questions about the site, or had questions about it when they first started, and then write all the questions, and let people who think they can answer them, answer them.  I'll fill in the gaps.

I'm not even sure if time is the question here for me, I could make the time.  The problem is that I'm so removed from being a user of the site (either as parody writer or reader) that I'm no longer sure what should be covered exactly.  Most FAQs have an organizer and then a bunch of writers.

I'll start that thread, and I'll be willing to proofread a final version for you anytime when we get around to that, but I cannot promise to stick around on a daily basis during the period inbetween. Two weeks from now I'm starting a new job, they've recruted me from my position as a medical transcriptionist in a cardiac ward to the same job (but with more emphasis on speed) in an emergency ward. I'll definitely have to put my main focus on that during April and I will no longer have steady hours monday to friday etc. But I'll start the thread and we'll see what happens.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 2:05 pm

I'll start that thread, and I'll be willing to proofread a final version for you anytime when we get around to that, but I cannot promise to stick around on a daily basis during the period inbetween. Two weeks from now I'm starting a new job, they've recruted me from my position as a medical transcriptionist in a cardiac ward to the same job (but with more emphasis on speed) in an emergency ward. I'll definitely have to put my main focus on that during April and I will no longer have steady hours monday to friday etc. But I'll start the thread and we'll see what happens.

Done:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,8520.0.html

Written By: DarkJon64 on 03/29/05 at 11:04 am

I've been here about 600 years...

Speaking of parody writing articles, I'd love to write another one... I know that wasn't asked but I think improvement could be made on my last one.

Check for new replies or respond here...