inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should there be a parody awards show? Or American Idol for parodists?

Written By: Rex on 03/20/05 at 5:51 pm

There's Oscars and Emmys and People's Choice Awards and Grammys and.... well, you get the idea.

Should there be an awards show for parodies? Maybe MTV or VH1 could pull it off, with Weird Al hosting.

Or, might there be a market for an "American Idol" for parodists? Perhaps a studio band would perform the parodies that made it through the judges, and the audience would vote on the winner.

Anyone out there with connections to pitch these ideas?

Subject: Re: Should there be a parody awards show? Or American Idol for parodists?

Written By: EthanM on 03/20/05 at 6:59 pm

it would be nice to have , but someone would probably need really strong connections. I don't think Dr. Demento has any idea what can be found on amiright... if he did then we might have a much better chance of getting something like this done.

Subject: Re: Should there be a parody awards show? Or American Idol for parodists?

Written By: Gonfunko on 03/20/05 at 8:03 pm

What's to say that just such an award couldn't be started on AmIRight? ???

Written By: EthanM on 03/20/05 at 8:09 pm

there have been such awards on amiright, but now it's hard with so many people and the certainty that someone will complain of favoritism. And i think rex was looking to get people here some exposure outside of amiright.

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/21/05 at 12:58 am

There has been both of these already....the AMiright awards (which had a VERY DETAILED awards show), and Amiright Idol, which was a disaster

Written By: K1chyd on 03/21/05 at 12:30 pm

There's Oscars and Emmys and People's Choice Awards and Grammys and.... well, you get the idea.

Should there be an awards show for parodies? Maybe MTV or VH1 could pull it off, with Weird Al hosting.

There should be, but it'll never happen, because we're all too weird, unpredictable and butt ugly to put on stage (except the women who are beautiful, but too weird, clumsy, pouty and nitroglyceriniclly unstable) for anyone who'd wanna make ends meet by selling commercials to the program.

I mean, who among us would not try to "parody" Janet Jackson's Superbowl "performance" if we ever got on nationwide telly? Do you really wanna see Spaff out his... whatever he has to out, considering he's out of this world!

But apart from that I like the idea, and I've been dead wrong before...  ;)

Written By: STG on 03/21/05 at 1:29 pm

Billy is correct, we have already had an awards show, and I believe the first few ones were the best, b/c it was. Now there are just too many people and parodies, but I would be up to seeing another.

Written By: EthanM on 03/21/05 at 1:44 pm

the armstrong half of mike armstrong suggested that we pick songs eligible for awards based on the contests for last year (anything entered is up for consideration), and i don't think there are any better options than that.

amiright idle might actually be possible now since i think we have a more dedicated community than we did back then. There still could be whining and it would be tough to organize but if anyone wants to i'll support it.

Peter, you can't make generalizations about everyone on the site based on a few people. I don't have the greatest singing voice in the world but otherwise i don't see a problem with putting me on stage. I've been there before, and actually won money for it once. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/21/05 at 2:55 pm

the biggest failing of the first attempt at Amiright Idle was how I picked the judges.  I had one judge who didn't take the time to research any of the songs they didn't recognize (which was almost all of them, despite the fact that most of the songs were top ten hits).  The judges weren't too quick to respond with their votes.  I also picked at least one or two that weren't longtime users, which didn't help either.  I'm not trying to rag on anyone, but those were the problems I saw.

I don't really have the time, so it won't be me organizing it, but I won't stop anyone else from doing it.

I think I would try and make sure the people who were going to play the three judges, had been writing (or dedicated visitors) of the site for at least a year.  They would need to know a wide swath of pop music, not just the past five years worth.

I thought the Amiright Idle idea was a good one, but it really requires people who can spend a lot of time reviewing the songs and reviewing them properly.  If the reviews aren't interesting to read, no one will bother checking them out.

I'm always happy to post links to parody contests on the front page of amiright, so if something does get going, let me know.

Written By: Armstrong on 03/21/05 at 3:01 pm

yes the judges were myself, album cornix, and blotown. blotown never got his votes in on time and album was a crazy brit that didn't bother trying to judge anything he didn't know. lol. I was bitter. I was completely on board with that idea and I'd like to see it fired up again only with like Johnny, Claude, and Spaff as the judges so that we knew for sure that the people would be here and have a good taste for what good parody writing was about.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/21/05 at 3:11 pm

yes the judges were myself, album cornix, and blotown. blotown never got his votes in on time and album was a crazy brit that didn't bother trying to judge anything he didn't know. lol. I was bitter. I was completely on board with that idea and I'd like to see it fired up again only with like Johnny, Claude, and Spaff as the judges so that we knew for sure that the people would be here and have a good taste for what good parody writing was about.

I didn't want to name names, I can hardly remember who even did it without looking it up (I hold no grudges)

As to who should do the next one, I agree those are great choices, but those people would have to keep in mind that it would probably eat into their parody writing time quite a bit.

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/22/05 at 12:14 am

hmm..can anybody find the link to the original awards show for the amiright awards....if someone wants to revive the amiright awards, they should look at the first three....

Junior, Michael and myself put alot of work into them...they shouldnt be forgotten

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/22/05 at 12:27 am

wait, here's one:

http://inthe00s.com/archive/parodies/1067915337.shtml

and heres another:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/misheard/1052188045.shtml

Written By: STG on 03/22/05 at 5:58 am

I wish someone knew where the first AmIRight awards transcript was, or at least the results. That ws a good one, but I say we should have another one. Billy, if you are up for it, let me know.

from your friend,
S.T.G.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/22/05 at 9:19 am

I wish someone knew where the first AmIRight awards transcript was, or at least the results. That ws a good one, but I say we should have another one. Billy, if you are up for it, let me know.

from your friend,
S.T.G.

is this the one?
http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/misheard/1048285421.shtml

if you use google, try the following search

site:inthe00s.com amiright awards archive

that should pull up all the archived messages dealing with the awards.  The ones with the directory of misheard will be older ones, since that's the original name for the messageboard for amiright.

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/22/05 at 10:42 am

Got it!:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/misheard/1034039113.shtml

boy that was hidden

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/22/05 at 10:47 am

from your friend,
S.T.G.

i unfortunatly dont have the time or effort to do another amiright awards....Ill gladly pass it along to someone else though, and Ill advise that/those people on what to do, but I wont be able to do any research or help with results or production or anything like that in any way.  I say those, because it was hard as hell to do all this work with just 2 people, to make it easier, I highly suggest more. 

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 11:37 am

Peter, you can't make generalizations about everyone on the site based on a few people. I don't have the greatest singing voice in the world but otherwise i don't see a problem with putting me on stage. I've been there before, and actually won money for it once. 

Ethan, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else with my post. All the adjectives used were basically clique in jokes recalled from memory of people here describing themselves. For example "I'm beautiful but I'm clumsy and I stomp and pout a lot" is a trademark of Arwens. She even posted about it as a comment on one of my parodies once when I used a joke about me doing it as a man (stomp and pout).

Sometimes I get a little carried away  :-[

Written By: STG on 03/23/05 at 6:14 am

WOW!!!! I have about 8 awards under my belt. I feel a little better about the good ole' days. But it kinda sucks now that moist people don't remember me or any other certain people.

MY SHOUTOUTS
DarkJon64
Junior
Lebeiw15
Xander999
Florio brothers (Mike and Billy)

I know that you're still on a lot (to Billy) but I think pewople have forgotten that we were here before many others, and many of the great parody artists of today.

(There I have said my two cents)

peace,
from S.T.G.

Written By: Armstrong on 03/23/05 at 4:28 pm

granted i haven't been here as long as the two of you... but in my (almost) 3 years I can definitely say the site is 10X better now than it was when I got here.

Written By: marthadtox3 on 03/23/05 at 5:49 pm

when I first found this site I was quite surprised at the sheer number of parodies that were ..what one  in the UK one would place in that classic genre of  toilet  humour .. or as it is more usually dubbed ...schoolboy toilet humour ...and ... food humour .. in fact the site was really quite orientated towards the digestive/excretive  process in all its many splendours  . I got the distinct impression that it was very much a feature of the site......
I must admit to being sexist here I thought it was a guy thing!!

Written By: marthadtox3 on 03/23/05 at 5:54 pm

I dont know know how that happened this post should have been on the other thread ...strange!!

Check for new replies or respond here...