inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do Not Comment?

Written By: NewFoghill on 03/22/05 at 9:59 am

I am ripped at the option parody writers have of not allowing comments to be made to their work Girls, if you can't stand the criticism - or the praise - then don't read it. You're ripping us off. We vote, then find out our vote doesn't get us to make a comment. I do not think that this is something Jesus would do. BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK. And, by the way, Terri is already dead and the United States is a nation of law! If you think this is something Jesus would do, go volunteer in a nursing home.

Subject: Re: Do Not Comment?

Written By: Arwen on 03/22/05 at 10:06 am

I am ripped at the option parody writers have of not allowing comments to be made to their work. Girls, if you can't stand the criticism - or the praise - then don't read it. You're ripping us off. We vote, then find out our vote doesn't get us to make a comment. I do not think that this is something Jesus would do. BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK. And, by the way, Terri is already dead and the United States is a nation of law! If you think this is something Jesus would do, go volunteer in a nursing home.

I am honestly NOT trying to be antagonistic...but I don't see what Jesus has to do with whether or not people want to allow comments on their parodies.  I, for one, always choose to allow comments...but it has never been what I considered to be a religious decision.

Written By: jreuben on 03/22/05 at 10:11 am

More importantly, what would Brian Boitano do?

Comments are a way for an author to get feedback.  If an author doesn't want feedback, it really shouldn't be a problem for the reader.  Sometimes, especially for controversial topics, allowing comments can be counter-productive.  Some authors are simply trying to get a point across with their parodies, and have no need for the arguments/bickering that would ensue for certain songs. 

I, personally, allow comments on all my songs, but tend not to touch on politics/religion.  I respect it if someone turns off comments for their parodies, even if I disagree with the parody itself.

Written By: Arwen on 03/22/05 at 10:18 am

More importantly, what would Brian Boitano do?

Well said.  I know I always try to consider Brian's feelings when examining my parody posting options...

Written By: Kim West on 03/22/05 at 10:44 am

I am ripped at the option parody writers have of not allowing comments to be made to their work Girls, if you can't stand the criticism - or the praise - then don't read it. You're ripping us off. We vote, then find out our vote doesn't get us to make a comment. I do not think that this is something Jesus would do. BE PROUD OF YOUR WORK. And, by the way, Terri is already dead and the United States is a nation of law! If you think this is something Jesus would do, go volunteer in a nursing home.

Complaining about the feature you mention probably will not yield the results you want. I suggest you start a thread on this board that specifically comments on those songs  parody writers refuse to allow comments. You might even get more traffic here on this board than on a review section of a particular song writer.

Of course the down side to such a strategy might be having the thread become deleted, because technically you are going against the wishes of parody writers who do not want to hear criticism. Such a thread could go without any warning much like another well known thread.

Kim.

Written By: John Jenkins on 03/22/05 at 12:37 pm

If you are criticizing Royce Miller for not enabling comments on her "What Life is This?" parody, your criticisms are not well founded.  Royce is an active participants in AmIRight parody comments.  If you want to know what she thinks or if you want to let her know what you think of her parodies, you have many opportunities.  On the other hand, Will Tong has submitted over 1,000 parodies and almost never comments on other writers' parodies and almost never enables comments on his own parodies.

Written By: MooRocca on 03/22/05 at 2:02 pm

I am ripped at the option parody writers have of not allowing comments to be made to their work Girls, if you can't stand the criticism - or the praise - then don't read it. You're ripping us off. We vote, then find out our vote doesn't get us to make a comment.

If you don't like it that some parodies don't have comments enabled, scroll down to see if comments are enabled BEFORE you read and rate a parody and if they're not enabled, don't read or rate that parody.  

If you're wondering why a parody might not have comments enabled, here are a few of them:  

Many parodies on Amiright do not have comments enabled because they were submitted to Amiright before the comments feature existed.

When you submit a parody, you have to check a box to enable comments, it's not the default.  Sometimes authors don't see the check box or forget to check it or think they've checked it when, in fact, they've accidentally clicked just enough outside of it that it didn't take.  We are human, after all.

(This may have been fixed by now, but last I knew...) If you make edits to your parody in the preview screen and then submit, comments will be disabled regardless of whether you've checked the box to enable them.  

Comments are often disabled on parodies written on controversial themes.   Instead of comments about the author's writing skills, these parodies often receive comments that amount to people arguing the points of view expressed by the  fictional narrators of those parodies.

The author knows what kind of feedback he/she is seeking on a particular parody.  If a parody tends to draw 2s and 3s on pacings, and feedback on pacing is the only thing that motivated the author to submit the parody to Amiright, the author can tell from the ratings that the pacing was off for most readers without having to have it confirmed by a dozen "pacing was off" comments.  

The author has no intention of reading any of the comments left for him/her, so sees no point inviting people to leave comments for him/her.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/22/05 at 2:12 pm

My parody of "About a girl" doesn't have the comments enabled.
I forgot to enable it(I typed in 6 parodies that day, so it's easy to forget).
All my others parodies have them turned on, since I like to receive feedback.
So in my case it was an accident.

Written By: Royce on 03/22/05 at 2:27 pm

Newfoghill, I assure you I am proud of (most of!) my parodies; not enabling comments has nothing to do with being proud nor does it have to do with Jesus, as another person pointed out.  In fact, the comments posted in reply to your post are very good--when I don't allow comments, it's because I'm only trying to state a point of view and am not caring about criticism of the parody itself--and don't wish to engender a whole debate about the topic I'm writing about.  And this, as someone else pointed out, is not something that we "girls" just do----William Tong, prime example.  I think that the webmaster knew sometimes people want comments, sometimes they don't--that's why it's set up the way it is. 

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/22/05 at 2:50 pm

... Girls, if you can't stand the criticism - or the praise - then don't read it...

If you can't stand not being able to leave a comment, refuse to read the parody.  That'll show them girls.

I'm sure that's what Jesus, Carlos, Jose and Brian would all do.

Written By: NewFoghill on 03/23/05 at 8:02 am

If a writer doesn't have the confidence to take comments on AmIRight, I guarantee that Life and not the magazine will post them where she or he can. An artist simply cannot escape judgement; he is given a gift and must account for it. And if his art is to grow he needs feedback. Not from Mom and Pop or partner who will approve of everything, but from a true friend - an audience - who will tell you when your fly is down and when you've grown wings. If the work is that personal, keep it home. And please don't ask for my time and my vote if you aren't going to allow my comment. Thanks.

Written By: jreuben on 03/23/05 at 8:15 am

If a writer doesn't have the confidence to take comments on AmIRight, I guarantee that Life and not the magazine will post them where she or he can. An artist simply cannot escape judgement; he is given a gift and must account for it. And if his art is to grow he needs feedback. Not from Mom and Pop or partner who will approve of everything, but from a true friend - an audience - who will tell you when your fly is down and when you've grown wings. If the work is that personal, keep it home. And please don't ask for my time and my vote if you aren't going to allow my comment. Thanks.

It's really not about confidence, at least with several writers mentioned in this thread.  They get plenty of feedback, just from other sources.  For example, Will Tong, from his own website.  If you don't want to waste time/votes on parodies that don't allow comments, no one's stopping you from doing that.

Comments aren't always constructive.  Mr. Tong, for example, has literally received death threats simply because people have a different political view.   How does that make his art grow?  Still, if you wanted to contact him about any particular song, he's very easy to reach through his website, which is linked to many of his songs (if not all).  Royce had a series of controversial parodies where the comments quickly became arguments that had nothing to do with the song itself.  Again, in this case, nothing constructive for the writer.  Sometimes people just spam the comments area to be jerks.  Maybe they don't like the author.  Maybe they have nothing better to do.  I've been here long enough to know that it happens.  Those authors have been here a long time.  They can take the heat.  Sometimes the purpose of a song is to get a message across, not necessarily to get feedback. 

Again, I enable comments on all my songs...it is the primary source of feedback for me.  My goal with my songs is usually to make people laugh, the comments let me know if I was successful.  There must be something better to worry about.  It takes two seconds to click on a parody and scroll to the bottom to see if there are comments enabled.  Literally.  I just timed it.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/23/05 at 8:35 am

And since the issue is clearly so important to you, I hope you write a parody about it.  Great art emerges when creative minds dare to grapple with the great issues of the day.

Written By: karen on 03/23/05 at 8:36 am

It takes two seconds to click on a parody and scroll to the bottom to see if there are comments enabled.  Literally.  I just timed it.

1.63 seconds.  Beat you!!

Written By: jreuben on 03/23/05 at 8:56 am

1.63 seconds.  Beat you!!

RATS!  I should never engage in competitive surfing before my 5 cups of coffee!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 03/23/05 at 9:01 am

RATS!  I should never engage in competitive surfing before my 5 cups of coffee!

;D

Clearly, you're now in fine form.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/23/05 at 12:15 pm

The few songs that I have not enabled comments on were, indeed, accidental. If it took one motion to switch that feature back on on (without resubmitting), I'd do it.

Check for new replies or respond here...