inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The only FAQ that matters

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 2:03 pm

Above all else, a comprehensive parody FAQ for the site, would be a huge, huge improvement for the site.  I know I cover some of the stuff that would be covered by one in the rules for submitting.  Other topics like when are updates done, what are votes, the history of various aspects of the site, all need some sort of coverage. 

The best thing to do, would be to start a topic, and ask people if they have questions about the site, or had questions about it when they first started, and then write all the questions, and let people who think they can answer them, answer them.  I'll fill in the gaps.

Sorry for the bad pun in the topic thread name but I'm bringing an important issue to everyones attention here. Can we all try to work together and help Chucky out by summoning up what we were wondering when we were new here. Post your questions on this thread and the categories thing will probably sort itself out after a while.

I'm not even sure if time is the question here for me, I could make the time.  The problem is that I'm so removed from being a user of the site (either as parody writer or reader) that I'm no longer sure what should be covered exactly.  Most FAQs have an organizer and then a bunch of writers.

I'm starting a new job in April (been recruted to the emergency ward) so I'm not gonna be the organizer, I'm just the kickstarter, but I'll be around, willing to help out, giving my 47 eurocents whenever possible, and with all the formulating talent around I'm sure it will work out great in the end even if it has to be an ad lib committee thing all the way through.

*Drumroll*

Any Questions?  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Subject: Re: The only FAQ that matters

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 2:49 pm

To get things rolling I’m gonna share what was my first and biggest misconception about AmIright. I arrived here by following a link to a sf-parody that a friend gave me. Enjoying that I decided to check out the main page to see if there was more parodies of the same kind to be found. Now this was back when William Tong basically “ruled” the site and I arrived on a day when approx half of the new entries was his, so my first impression was basically that this was a somewhat extremist political site and that the sf parody had been an exception to the rule. Nothing wrong with that in a free world but after having given it 15 minutes of attention I was under the (again first) impression that it was not what I was hoping for.

It might have been as much as 6-12 months, or even more, before I again followed a link to another parody, took another look around and realised that I had been wrong and that I had made too quick a judgement. There's no way to tell if I’ve been the only one with that misconception, but a FAQ could have been and could still be a good means to prevent such things from happening.

Now, there’s still political parodies around but they don’t stand out as much as they did during the Tong dynasty. Still I think that the issue should be addressed in a FAQ:

Maybe something like this:

Q: Is AmIright a political site?
A: No, AmIright is more than anything else a parody site. However, some parodies do express the political or religious view of its writer. That is neither encouraged or discouraged. No benefits are given to any specific such view, new parodies are posted in the order they are submitted and sorted on the new updates page based on their originals in reversed alphabetical order.

Written By: EthanM on 03/22/05 at 2:54 pm

Q: What kind of original song should i parody if i want the best chance of my song being noticed?

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 3:08 pm

Q: What kind of original song should i parody if i want the best chance of my song being noticed?

A: So called Golden Oldies stand a better chance to be recognized by more people, if for nothing else simply because they have been around longer and chances are that more people therefore have been exposed to them. However, don't let that disencourage you from making a parody to a brand new song or an odd genre, you'll probably do best with music you yourself like to listen to and if others that like the same type of music can see it being parodied here chances are that they'll too find it worth the time to write in that genre or to that new song.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 3:12 pm

A: Older songs stand a better chance to be recognized by more people, if for nothing else simply because they have been around longer and chances are that more people therefore have been exposed to them. However, don't let that disencourage you from making a parody to a brand new song or an odd genre, you'll probably do best with music you yourself like to listen to and if others that like the same type of music can see it being parodied here chances are that they'll too find it worth the time to do write in that genre or to that new song.

I'm just sketching here. Feel free to write a different and/or different answer. Chucky has the final word anyway and the more creative alternatives he has to choose and/or blend from the better the final FAQ will be.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/22/05 at 3:18 pm

...new parodies are posted in the order they are submitted and sorted on the new updates page based on their originals in reversed alphabetical order.

BTW: I've noticed that between parodies based on originals starting with the first letters in the alphabet and parodies based on originals starting with the last letters in the alphabet there is a slight overweight towards the latter group. Coincidental? Maybe, they do end up higher up on the new submissions list.  ;)

Maybe that sorting criteria should be varied at times  :P

Written By: MooRocca on 03/22/05 at 7:27 pm

Suggestion:  If the FAQ is posted to this board and stickied to the top, a clickable link to Amiright should be included in the prefacing remarks to the Q/A sets.  That way, new visitors who stumble across the parody board before finding Amiright will be able to link directly over.  In the nearly 2 years I've been here, I've seen a few people asking where they could find the parodies we're all talking about or where to submit their own. 

Some other suggestions based on my observations:

What are the rules on Amiright and where can I find them?

What do I do if I see a parody or comment that clearly breaks the forum's rules?

What do I do if my parody appears twiice? (I won't list them all, but there are a lot of "What do I do if..." questions to cover.)

Why don't I appear on the author's page?

Why do I have such a low ranking on the author's page and how can I move up in the authors' list?

When I look at my author's page, one of my parodies is missing from it, why?
(name must be typed exactly the same each time you submit.)

Why did someone give me straight ones when everyone else gave me 4s and 5s?

What does DKTOS mean?

I haven't been to Amiright in a long time and some of my ratings disappeared -- what happened?

I haven't been to Amiright in a long time, what happened to the top 10 lists?

Can I submit the lyrics to my favorite Weird Al parody (or other parody I didn't write?) 

My parodies aren't attracting many ratings and comments, how can I increase my exposure?
  (Suggested Answer:  Register for membership on the inthe00s boards  and participate in the contests on the Parody Contests board.)

I should stop here and let someone else rattle some off.  :)

Mel.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/22/05 at 10:07 pm

I think the other active thread at the moment about why do some authors opt out of allowing comments would be a worthy addition as well. Especially all the reasons given in the followup.

Written By: philnelson on 03/22/05 at 11:04 pm

I know that when I first visited the site it was just because it appeared in my search results for misheard lyrics.  I was looking at several different sites that night, looking at funny stories about those lyrics.  Two years later, I heard a couple lyrics wrong and decided to search for misheard lyrics again, and rediscovered this page.  After submitting the lyrics, I checked back to see if they had been posted, and in the process discovered the parody section, which I eventually started getting more interested in.  By the way everyone, I will eventually write some more, just haven't gotten around to it recently.  Anyway, one of the biggest FAQ's would be if amiright is just a misheard lyrics site, if they haven't discovered the parodies.  Even though they're on the main page, you never see them if you don't scroll down far enough and just click the link to the lyrics section. 

Written By: Armstrong on 03/23/05 at 12:09 am

I think a fair question that a bunch of people wonder is

Q How can I get more recognition for my parodies?

another one may be

Q How do I go about recording my parodies and putting them on the site?

Written By: Billy Florio on 03/23/05 at 1:25 pm

Q: I havent been to AmIRight in a long time, what happened to the AmIRight Awards? 

Q: Is there any kind of way I could get recognition for my work here?

Q: Do I own the copyright for my work?

Q: WHat if someone puts my parody on another site?  Is there any action I could take?

Q: What if somebody plagerizes my parody?

Q: Can I sell my parody? 

yeah, i had to toot my own horn at the top lol.....or is it Junior's horn?

Written By: neminem on 03/23/05 at 5:27 pm

A couple more important questions that haven't been addressed:

Can I change my name? (No)
What if I submit the wrong parody, or notice typos in it after I've submitted?
Similarly, what about if I decide to update my parody after writing it?

And then of course, "When will the search function work?" And relatedly, "Are there any other ways of searching in the meantime?" (A: google isn't bad)

Written By: EthanM on 03/23/05 at 6:29 pm

A couple more important questions that haven't been addressed:

Can I change my name? (No)

i changed mine and all of my parodies from my old name transferred

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/23/05 at 8:47 pm

i changed mine and all of my parodies from my old name transferred

name changes are tricky.  I haven't done one in ages, and I have one waiting right now, that I'm not even sure I can do.  I need a better means of making changes to the database than I currently have.

So basically, the answer to the questions about modifications is:

If you don't like how it appears, ask for it to be removed and resubmit it.  If you do that, you lose your vote and comments.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/24/05 at 10:22 am

Q: Why is the site CALLED amiright.com?

(BTW, i really would like to know...)

"Who is ChuckyG?"
"Is there any topics that I can't write about?"
"Who decides what parodies can be submitted?"
"I only have part of a song written, can I just submit that?"
"What is SOTM?"
"Do I get paid for my submission?"

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 10:55 am

Q: Why is the site CALLED amiright.com?

amiright was originally going to be a "debate/joke of the day" website when I registered the domain name.  I decided there were too many of those sites already, and thought it was also a good name for the misheard lyrics collection on my 80s website, inthe80s.com.  It's the type of question you would ask if you tried to identify a hard to understand lyric.  "He's singing, 'there's a bathroom on the right'.  Am I right?"

"Who is ChuckyG?"

ChuckyG owns the website, and maintains the scripts that run it.  He's also responsible for approving new song parodies for the website.  For more information about the man behind the website, check out ChuckyG.com

"Are there any topics that I can't write about?"

Sexual topics, especially if they graphically describe sexual acts.  Anything insulting individuals that are not famous. Parodies advocating violence against individuals or groups are also forbidden (ie. no parodies about harming the president or your next door neighbor).

"Who decides what parodies can be submitted?"

ChuckyG.

"I only have part of a song written, can I just submit that?"

There is a section called "Parody Fragments" on the site.  Parodies under 10 lines in length should be submitted there.  Parodies of nursey rhymes, advertising jingles, or other short works should also be submitted to the fragments section.

"Do I get paid for my submission?"

No.  All you get is feedback via votes and/or comments left by visitors to the website. 

I'll let the people involved in SOTM answer that question.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/24/05 at 11:11 am

(In case anyone wondered, I was listing most of those questions as examples of FAQ's--i knew most of the answers already.)  :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 11:14 am

What are the rules on Amiright and where can I find them?

The rules for posting parodies can be found on the submission page. Here is the direct link: http://www.amiright.com/parody/submitting.shtml

What do I do if I see a parody or comment that clearly breaks the forum's rules?

If a parody violates the rules of amiright, send an email to chuck@worcestermass.com or leave a personal message on inthe00s.com for chuckyg.

If a comment on a parody violates the rules (spam or profanity), use the "Report Inappropriate Comment" link on that message to report it for review by the moderator.

What do I do if my parody appears twiice?

Send an email to chuck@worcestermass.com or leave a personal message on inthe00s.com for chuckyg with the URL (web address) of the parody that should be removed.

Why don't I appear on the author's page?

Authors appear on the parody page when they have written 10 or more parodies.  Authors who have written 25 parodies or more, can send a brief bio to ChuckyG via email to appear on the top of their author page.  If your author name is not 100% the same each time you submit (spelling, capitalization, spaces), it won't count towards the total.

Why do I have such a low ranking on the author's page and how can I move up in the authors' list?

Your rank is only based on the number of parodies you have written.  This is not a mark of who's better than who, or any kind of quality statement.

When I look at my author's page, one of my parodies is missing from it, why?

Your name must be typed exactly the same each time you submit.  This means every letter needs to be lowercase/uppercase exactly the same way, spaces, punctuation, you name it.

Why did someone give me straight ones when everyone else gave me 4s and 5s?

If your parody expresses an idea some people may disagree with, they'll vote it all ones to spite the author. This isn't really in keeping with the spirit of the site, but there's no way to enforce it. The other reason is that some people are just jerks. 

What does DKTOS mean?

Don't Know The Original Song.  It's impossible for anyone to know every tune people parody. A really funny parody however, can be funny even if the reader has no clue how the song sounds.

I haven't been to Amiright in a long time and some of my ratings disappeared -- what happened?

During an update of the parody database, ChuckyG accidently wiped out the ratings for most of the parodies submitted after 2001.  Once a new vote is registered on a parody whose data was erased, the vote totals get reset.  Unfortunately, backups did not exist for most of the voting data, so a recovery was not possible.  It's recommended that if you want to keep track of your voting scores or comments, you cut and paste them into a file you store on your own computer. 

I haven't been to Amiright in a long time, what happened to the top 10 lists?

The top 10 lists were seen as a means of exposure, or a means to compete with other authors.  Since votes can be forged with a small amount of knowledge of web browsers, people began to inflate their own vote counts, or vote down the parodies of others in order to move up the lists.  Since the lists were essentially meaningless once this began to happen more fequently, they were no longer linked to or displayed on the parody pages.

Can I submit the lyrics to my favorite Weird Al parody (or other parody I didn't write?) 

No. Please only submit original works, you have created yourself. Not something you heard on the radio, or downloaded off the web, or you received in email.  If you didn't write it yourself, don't submit it.   

My parodies aren't attracting many ratings and comments, how can I increase my exposure?

Register for membership on the inthe00s boards  and participate in the contests on the Parody Contests board. 

It's also recommended that you send a link to your parody to friends or co-workers, maybe a link in your signature line if you post on messageboards.  This helps not only your parodies, but might even bring new visitors to the site, who will in turn vote on other parodies.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 11:15 am

(In case anyone wondered, I was listing most of those questions as examples of FAQ's--i knew most of the answers already.)  :)

I'm sure most people here do.  I'm going to try and answer anything posted here.  At some point, either myself or a helpful volunteer can gather them into one giant file and we can review them all.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 11:17 am

Q How do I go about recording my parodies and putting them on the site?

amiright does not host song recordings. If you record a parody, you will need to find a web host or a service such as Soundclick that can host the song recording for you.  A discussion of how to record parodies requires a seperate FAQ of it's own.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 11:30 am

Q: I havent been to AmIRight in a long time, what happened to the AmIRight Awards? 

Junior or Billy can answer this better than me.

Q: Is there any kind of way I could get recognition for my work here?

William Tong had two of his parodies on amiright mentioned in USA today in 2002.  There are occasionally requests from people who want to include a parody in a newsletter or other publication.  Make sure you leave some means for people to contact you in the header or footer of your parody incase someone spots your parody and would like to use it. 

Q: Do I own the copyright for my work?

If you state "Copyright of Your Name" (replacing your name with, your name) it is techniquely copyrighted under US law (provided you are a US citizen).  If you want, you can print it out and send it to the US Copyright Office along with a filing fee.  If you send it to the copyright office and someone reprints it without your permission, you can bring that person to court, and if the court finds in your favor, the minimum is $10,000 per incident.  This requires lawyers and a lot of time, and requires a FAQ of it's own.

Q: What if someone puts my parody on another site?  Is there any action I could take?

You can ask the person who posted it, to remove it.  You can look up the ISP the site is hosted through, and ask them to remove it if that doesn't work.  Unfortunately, the Internet encourages people to repost things, so it may not be possible to have every instance removed if something proves really popular.  If you're afraid of something being reposted somewhere without your permission, don't post it.  There is no technology that will prevent your parody from being copied if someone is motivated to do it.

Q: What if somebody plagerizes my parody?

If it's on amiright.com, contact ChuckyG at chuck@worcestermass.com, and provide the URL of the original work and the plagerized work.  If it's clearly plagerized, it will be removed.  Song titles alone are not considered a plagery.  Song titles can not be copyrighted, and are frequently reused in the real world, the same thing happens with parodies.  Great minds think alike.

If it's on another site, there's not much ChuckyG can do for you.

Q: Can I sell my parody? 

If someone is willing you pay you for it, sure. 

If it's a recording however, the original songwriter under US law is entitled to a fixed amount of money for the original work, and if you use the original recording, the performers of the music are also entitled to financial compensation.  This subject is complicated, and beyond the scope of this FAQ.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/24/05 at 11:34 am

Can I change my name?

Not without removing all of your parodies for the website and resubmitting them.  This will lose all of your comments and votes however.

What if I submit the wrong parody, or notice typos in it after I've submitted?

Modifications can not be made to a parody once it has been submitted.  You can send a message to ChuckyG at chuck@worcestermass.com and ask for a parody to be removed.  You can then resubmit the corrected parody.  This however will result in the votes and comments from the original submission being lost.

What if I decide to update my parody after writing it?

Modifications can not be made to a parody once it has been submitted.  You can send a message to ChuckyG at chuck@worcestermass.com and ask for a parody to be removed.  You can then resubmit the corrected parody.  This however will result in the votes and comments from the original submission being lost.

When will the search function work?

No idea.  The original search function was a huge drain on the webserver and was causing it to crash.  A new script has not been found yet.

Are there any other ways of searching in the meantime?"

Go to google.com.  Type in "site:amiright.com parody" and then what you want to search for.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/24/05 at 5:25 pm

If you state "Copyright of Your Name" (replacing your name with, your name) it is techniquely copyrighted under US law (provided you are a US citizen). 

I was edjumicated that the "year of copyright" (eg "Copyright 2005, Agrimorfee") was necessary as well. Can anyone find out the straight poop on this?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/01/05 at 4:19 am

Here is my Christmas wish list to relieve me of my own ineptitude.

1. In parody comments how do you space so that it doesn't look like a huge paragraph?

I've heard of the " carraige key " ( which I do not have ) or using < Break > . The Break key is the F12 key on my keyboard and has a diamond before the word "break". I have a key labeled "Fn" in the bottom left corner with the same diamond. I have tried this several times in various combinations and it still will not work.

1b. Is it possible under parody comments to make the same color changes and what not as it is here? If not could it possibly be implemented?

2. Are you allowed to submit songs you wrote yourself that are NOT parodies of other music ( i.e. original works ) ?

If not is there a separate section for that type of thing?

3. Can you post the alt/function keys to see latest comments, etc.( basically navigate around the site- the inner workings )?

4. This one isn't to be taken literally, but a " 111 control " would be nice. Perhaps a field that pops up that says something like: " Are you diss-lexic? " or " Hey, did you even read the parody?"

5. Do you ChuckyG ever write parodies?

6. This is from your own response:

"Sexual topics, especially if they graphically describe sexual acts.  Anything insulting individuals that are not famous. Parodies advocating violence against individuals or groups are also forbidden (ie. no parodies about harming the president or your next door neighbor)."

I have seen numerous borderline parodies of these exceptions in the last few months. I do not mind them but some might.

Perhaps your mind is not in the gutter as mine is, but some of these are so full of double entendres/ homophones/slang that it is obvious to me they are pushing the envelope so to speak, though I will say they are clever enough to not get put on the " other website ".

7: I submitted my bio nearly a month ago. Was it rejected or is that like a monthly update?  And if I want to modify it how do I do that?

8: When I do a band search I generally get the last 8-10 listings from that band. However when I hit the button that says basically " see more of this groups parodies " I get an Internal 500 server error. Has this been done away with?

9: Concerning the vote wipeout last year I have noticed some of these parodies have votes intact but comments AFTER the date of the loss. Some also show no votes under the author name but when you click on the parody the votes are there. How come they are not showing up?

9a: Are measures in place now as for that to not happen again?

10. I know it is allowed to vote your own parodies once but is this considered poor practice?

11. Am I allowed to link this www.amiright.com from other sites? I have a parody I did that I would like to link to some other sites.

Sorry to bother the heck out of you again but I detest emails on this especially since the last 15 emails I have sent out have been to you.

I am very grateful to be able to show my works and comments on such a fine public forum with no annoying pop ups and one that is free at that.

You have a great website ChuckyG and it is definately more fun than almost everything else I have done in my life. :)

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/01/05 at 7:06 am

1. In parody comments how do you space so that it doesn't look like a huge paragraph?

Too big a task for one mere mortal Red Ant, but at least I can help you with this one

try <BR>

or better still  <BR><BR>

:)

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/04/05 at 1:54 pm

I've heard of the " carraige key " ( which I do not have ) or using < Break > . The Break key is the F12 key on my keyboard and has a diamond before the word "break". I have a key labeled "Fn" in the bottom left corner with the same diamond. I have tried this several times in various combinations and it still will not work.

A carriage key is the same thing as ENTER or RETURN.  What you want is the <BR> tag however.  Two of them back to back give a line of space between paragraphs. 

1b. Is it possible under parody comments to make the same color changes and what not as it is here? If not could it possibly be implemented?

No and no. 

2. Are you allowed to submit songs you wrote yourself that are NOT parodies of other music ( i.e. original works ) ?

Only if you perform it and record it.  Lyrics to original works are not allowed.

If not is there a separate section for that type of thing?

No

3. Can you post the alt/function keys to see latest comments, etc.( basically navigate around the site- the inner workings )?

There is no such thing.

4. This one isn't to be taken literally, but a " 111 control " would be nice. Perhaps a field that pops up that says something like: " Are you diss-lexic? " or " Hey, did you even read the parody?"

no

5. Do you ChuckyG ever write parodies?

There's one on the site, I think, from when I had the section on the 80s site originally.  Otherwise, no I don't.

6. This is from your own response:

"Sexual topics, especially if they graphically describe sexual acts.  Anything insulting individuals that are not famous. Parodies advocating violence against individuals or groups are also forbidden (ie. no parodies about harming the president or your next door neighbor)."

I have seen numerous borderline parodies of these exceptions in the last few months. I do not mind them but some might.

Perhaps your mind is not in the gutter as mine is, but some of these are so full of double entendres/ homophones/slang that it is obvious to me they are pushing the envelope so to speak, though I will say they are clever enough to not get put on the " other website ".

I generally allow through stuff that can be interpreted either way, but at times I've even locked that down.

7: I submitted my bio nearly a month ago. Was it rejected or is that like a monthly update?  And if I want to modify it how do I do that?

There's a bunch of them that need to go up, I haven't had the time to do it.  You can resubmit a bio if it needs updates.

8: When I do a band search I generally get the last 8-10 listings from that band. However when I hit the button that says basically " see more of this groups parodies " I get an Internal 500 server error. Has this been done away with?

yes, it was causing a huge performance hit on the server and was starting to crash the site.

9: Concerning the vote wipeout last year I have noticed some of these parodies have votes intact but comments AFTER the date of the loss. Some also show no votes under the author name but when you click on the parody the votes are there. How come they are not showing up?

if a parody hasn't been voted on since the crash, the original vote count will continue to be displayed.  The original vote count will not show up in the author listings since the data file used to create the voting results no longer exists.

9a: Are measures in place now as for that to not happen again?

yes, I removed the script that caused that to happen.  However, it's still possible they may get wiped out again due to circumstances beyond my control.

10. I know it is allowed to vote your own parodies once but is this considered poor practice?

Since there's no top ten or anything, it's up to you.  I have no idea why'd you bother to.

11. Am I allowed to link this www.amiright.com from other sites? I have a parody I did that I would like to link to some other sites.

yes, I encourage it.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 3:06 pm

Thank you Chucky G. I was hoping for some more "yes" answers ( especially about you writing parodies ) but it is ok.

I STILL am clueless on the <Break> key though. My keyboard just doesn't have such a key. I have a HP computer but not the original keyboard. Maybe that is the problem as many of the other functions do not work as well either. I have already checked my computers " tips " section for this.

If anyone has a keyboard with the F12 key that has the word Break under the F12 part and can explain how to use it with control, alt or function keys I would appreciate it.

Written By: bobbypags on 05/04/05 at 3:17 pm

I'm not sure that the copyright information is correct; I'll check with my attorney.  For some reason, I thought the penalty for infringed work was much higher - $150,000 per infringement (mandatory) plus attorneys' fees - so the person being infringed would not take on the cost of a lawyer.  Also, you own what you write as soon as you write - period.  The fee is $30 to copyright a work and can be easily done via website:  wwww.copyright.gov.  The violations are covered under U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. Section 101 et seq.  

Written By: Rex on 05/04/05 at 3:21 pm

Thank you Chucky G. I was hoping for some more "yes" answers ( especially about you writing parodies ) but it is ok.

I STILL am clueless on the <Break> key though. My keyboard just doesn't have such a key. I have a HP computer but not the original keyboard. Maybe that is the problem as many of the other functions do not work as well either. I have already checked my computers " tips " section for this.

If anyone has a keyboard with the F12 key that has the word Break under the F12 part and can explain how to use it with control, alt or function keys I would appreciate it.

Ant,

You do not need the Break key. Just type in <BR>. That is the HTML command for a line break. So, what to you looks like:

This is the first line of the comment <BR><BR>This is the second line.

will actually be displayed as:

This is the first line of the comment.

This is the second line.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 5:48 pm

Thamk you much Rex. I hadn't tried typing in the letters BR between the < >. It works. :) Now, I still need some serious computer classes but atleast I can do that now.

Written By: John Jenkins on 05/06/05 at 6:35 pm

A carriage key is the same thing as ENTER or RETURN.  What you want is the <BR> tag however.  Two of them back to back give a line of space between paragraphs. 

Does the <br> tag work on comments made by the author before or after the parody?  If not, is there any way of spacing these comments?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/13/05 at 6:23 am

Does the <br> tag work on comments made by the author before or after the parody?  If not, is there any way of spacing these comments?

I believe it works in the foreword to the parody as I have seen many that start from the left side of the screen vs a huge run-on paragraph. As for the afterword or bottom comments I am not sure, but the worst that can happen if you try is you will have <BR> in the line where you wanted a break.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/13/05 at 7:48 am

I believe it works in the foreword to the parody as I have seen many that start from the left side of the screen vs a huge run-on paragraph. As for the afterword or bottom comments I am not sure, but the worst that can happen if you try is you will have <BR> in the line where you wanted a break.

It works in the foreword without the tag if you cut and paste directly from Word AFTER you've clicked Preview the first time and then go DIRECTLY to submit without clicking Preview again. If you click Preview a second time (or more) the tag/tags will show up in the text, but it/they doesn't work, you have to re-copy and paste from Word (or whatever program you write in).

This is similar and probably related to the problem with checked and un-checked comments boxes that were some 2-3 years ago. So to put it short, if you want a formatted foreword/prelude to your parody, you should copy and paste to there the very last thing you do.

But more important than all of this, remember that the longer and more complicated the prelude to your parody, the bigger the chance is that you actually scare off people from reading it. At least, that's my personal experience.

BTW: I think two threads about the FAQ is one too many, can we have this one locked?

Check for new replies or respond here...