inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vanity Searches

Written By: MooRocca on 03/25/05 at 5:26 pm

I tried to find the old thread, but couldn't remember anything specific enough from it to run a search for it and got tired of flipping back through pages trying to find it, so here's a new thread for the topic of where we find our parodies when we do vanity searches. 

Anyway... here's why I was looking for the old thread:

I found a new occurance of one of mine showing up... somehow, my "Mimes" parody made it onto some guy's list of his all time favorite songs.  http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Music/Music-Lyrics.html  Look his  list over and I'm sure that, by the time you get to me, on that list, you too will be humming "One of these things is not like the others..."  :)  (Very flattering, though.)

Subject: Re: Vanity Searches

Written By: EthanM on 03/25/05 at 6:23 pm

i found vaious songs in random forums... what was really interesting is that there was a link that said "parodies by ethan mawyer" in a lyrics link site right by the link to Dr. Demento, but i think it was for the author pages that were updated with each vote and no longer exist, so the link doesn't work.

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/05 at 6:29 pm

i found vaious songs in random forums... what was really interesting is that there was a link that said "parodies by ethan mawyer" in a lyrics link site right by the link to Dr. Demento, but i think it was for the author pages that were updated with each vote and no longer exist, so the link doesn't work.

probably search engine spam.  Some spammers try to make fake sites with keywords that look like real sites, by scaping links and text from other sites to build pages around certain keywords, to link to sites they're trying to promote.  Google has caught on to them, and is making that less likey to work now.

Written By: EthanM on 03/25/05 at 6:39 pm

this site actually looks legit... but i wonder how i ended up there

http://www.rockmusiclist.com/lyrics.htm

Written By: ChuckyG on 03/25/05 at 9:21 pm

this site actually looks legit... but i wonder how i ended up there

http://www.rockmusiclist.com/lyrics.htm

definitely an odd one.

the first link goes to a lyrics site that is protesting the closing of the ILS, Internation Lyrics Server, which was closed in 1998 I think. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/28/05 at 10:09 am

Except for oddball lyric search engines, I don't show up in any webpages that I haven't already posted/authorized.

Written By: Step-chan on 03/29/05 at 10:58 am

probably search engine spam.  Some spammers try to make fake sites with keywords that look like real sites, by scaping links and text from other sites to build pages around certain keywords, to link to sites they're trying to promote.  Google has caught on to them, and is making that less likey to work now.

I'm glad I use google to do my searches! :) ;) :D ;D

Written By: Ansky1213 on 03/29/05 at 11:21 am

I've given up googling myself, as all of the pages have to do with Steven King's "Rage," a book starring an 18 year old psycho killer named Charlie Decker...which reminds me...I'm 18...must...kill...all...especially...Brattoni...

Written By: Gonfunko on 03/29/05 at 3:44 pm

I've given up googling myself, as all of the pages have to do with Steven King's "Rage," a book starring an 18 year old psycho killer named Charlie Decker...which reminds me...I'm 18...must...kill...all...especially...Brattoni...

You could just do "-rage, -steven king" in your search and eliminate most of them.

Check for new replies or respond here...