inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody restrictions

Written By: Josh2 on 04/04/05 at 3:51 pm

I would just like to know if there are anymore restrictions apart from sex situations

I submitted a parody of 99 bottles of beer on the wall called 99 lies to the world from dubya and it wasnt accepted

i was wondering if political issues are often rejected

also, i would like to complain about this parody due to the fact that it has some sexual issues in it. i didnt rite it, im just making ppl aware of it

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/fountainsofwayne77.shtml

Subject: Re: Parody restrictions

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/04/05 at 6:28 pm

also, i would like to complain about this parody due to the fact that it has some sexual issues in it. i didnt rite it, im just making ppl aware of it

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/fountainsofwayne77.shtml

Yeah, I read that one, it is really rude. there's another one I read that was submitted on 1st April. John A Barry's 'I Hand-Help Myself'. It was really rude!!! I think i even submitted a comment on it saying that although it was good, it should've been on Whatfreaks. It used lines like: "When I grasp you" and "Matter on my thigh". No disrespect to John or his parody, but I think it should be on WhatFreaks. It does kinda say in huge letters on the submissions page "NO PARODIES DEALING WITH SEXUAL TOPICS WILL BE ALLOWED" - What do they class this as?
In response to your question, have you re-read the lyrics thoroughly? Are there any sexual intonations in there at all, or any lines which could be misinterpreted as sexual? There have been thousands of parodies about Bush, so I can't think why they wouldn't allow yours through. When did you submit it? If it was Today, you may just have missed the submission deadline, and it may come through tomorrow. If not, ask Chucky G. There's a thread somewhere in here where you can ask him questions about the site. I think it's in the members only forum.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/04/05 at 6:56 pm

I would just like to know if there are anymore restrictions apart from sex situations

I submitted a parody of 99 bottles of beer on the wall called 99 lies to the world from dubya and it wasnt accepted

I have written a ton of political parodies, some pretty darn flagrant, and none of them have ever been rejected. So it must be something else.

Written By: Kim West on 04/04/05 at 8:02 pm

Well, you're not supposed to write parodies about other authors. Actually that equates to you cannot attack fellow authors, but paying tribute to them is fine.

I'm sure there are limits to what words you can use, and just how far over-board you can go in terms of bad taste. For example, many songs have been written about the Pope. I haven't read them, but I'm sure that most (if not all) are respectful. Now, let's just say an author wanted to write a song that mocks the Pope. Would that get posted? I don't really know. I could put that to the test with a really sacrilegious song that would make me the next Salman Rushdie, but I don't want that kind of spotlight.

I have not had any problems with the few polical songs I have posted (other than offending rightwingers) :)

Kim.

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 5:12 am

well here is the the parody in full

99 lies to the world form dubya
99 lies to the world
He goes to war and finds hes wrong
so 98 lies to the world form dubya

could be cos it aint got many lines but there have been loads about 99 bottles on the aite

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/05/05 at 9:41 am

99 lies to the world

could be cos it aint got many lines but there have been loads about 99 bottles on the aite

If that's the full parody, then the problem is that it's too short. I think the parody has to be at least 10 lines long or something. It explains it in the submissions pages somewhere: 'Parodies must be at least 10 lines long - No TV themes bla bla bla'. try adding a couple more verses...

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/05/05 at 9:41 am

99 lies to the world

The guidelines state that incomplete parodies aren't generally allowed.  You could get away with cutting out a verse if the OS has 3 or 4 -- I've done it.  But I'd say one verse out of 100 probably qualifies as 'incomplete'.

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/05/05 at 12:24 pm

Yeah, it was too short...resubmit to the Fragments section. The acception to the rule is if the short song is part of a longer conceptual cycle.

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 1:18 pm

but there are many other parodies jsut like this o the site already

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 1:25 pm

but there are many other parodies jsut like this o the site already

Where are a few of them at?

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 1:33 pm

in misc

n mine was slighty a bit longer than wat i put down

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 1:42 pm

in misc

n mine was slighty a bit longer than wat i put down

Alrighty then, I'll go look.(I have nothing better to do)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 1:50 pm

I'm surprised this one got through:

www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional10.shtml

It has less than ten lines(unless spaces count).

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/05/05 at 2:08 pm

I'm surprised this one got through:

www.amiright.com/parody/misc/traditional10.shtml

It has less than ten lines(unless spaces count).

there's five verses of four lines, that would be 20 lines.

The 99 bottles parody was rejected for being too short. There have been a few that slipped through before the rule was implimented.  I really don't think there are many worthwhile parodies of that song anyways. Submit it as a fragment if you want, but don't bother submitting it under the regular section.

I've made some exceptions for shorter parodies, usually if someone is submitting an entire album and wants to do a song off the album that is very short. 

As for sexual content of parodies, I try and filter them out as much as I can, but they do slip through sometimes as well.

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 3:40 pm

The 99 bottles parody was rejected for being too short. There have been a few that slipped through before the rule was implimented.  I really don't think there are many worthwhile parodies of that song anyways. Submit it as a fragment if you want, but don't bother submitting it under the regular section.

I've made some exceptions for shorter parodies, usually if someone is submitting an entire album and wants to do a song off the album that is very short. 

As for sexual content of parodies, I try and filter them out as much as I can, but they do slip through sometimes as well.

ok ty for clarifying dat

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 5:26 pm

It wasn't supposed to go to that one. It was the last 99 bottles of beer on the wall parody, which has 8 lines.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 5:34 pm

I accidently put something in the your quote. Oops! Never did that before. It's the last "99 bottles of beer on the wall" by DuDe1013, that's in the misc section. I could have sworn I had typed it in right. I think the two parodies have slighty different file names.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/05/05 at 5:43 pm

The two parodies have the same file name. That's very strange. :o

Check for new replies or respond here...