inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Holy Grails of parody writing

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 04/05/05 at 4:50 am

I've got a theory that there are 5 songs that should be considered as "Holy Grails"; songs that bring out the best writing skills in Amirighters, and should be attempted in order to "earn your stripes" as a parody writer. I've tackled two of them...
The five (for me) are:

"American Pie" by Don McLean
"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen
"I Am The Very Model Of A Modern Major-General" by Gilbert and Sullivan
"The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot
"Be Our Guest" from Beauty and the Beast

Of course, this is only my opinion. Does anybody have any other OS's they think should be added to the list? Or are there any of my choices that you vehemently disagree with?

Lines are open....

Subject: Re: The Holy Grails of parody writing

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/05/05 at 7:25 am

I've got a theory that there are 5 songs that should be considered as "Holy Grails"; songs that bring out the best writing skills in Amirighters, and should be attempted in order to "earn your stripes" as a parody writer. I've tackled two of them...
The five (for me) are:

"American Pie" by Don McLean
"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

Of course, this is only my opinion. Does anybody have any other OS's they think should be added to the list? Or are there any of my choices that you vehemently disagree with?

Lines are open....

I would include what you already have, and I'd add the following:

"Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan

"Blinded By The Light" by Bruce Springsteen (covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band)

"In The Court of The Crimson King" by King Crimson

"Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" by Don McLean

"Witch Doctor" by David Seville

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by Crosby, Stills, Nash

"The Battle of New Orleans" by Jimmie Driftwood / Johnny Horton

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia" by Charlie Daniels Band

"Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover" by Paul Simon

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 8:47 am

I would include what you already have, and I'd add the following:

"Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan

"Blinded By The Light" by Bruce Springsteen (covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band)

"In The Court of The Crimson King" by King Crimson

"Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" by Don McLean

"Witch Doctor" by David Seville

"Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" by Crosby, Stills, Nash

"The Battle of New Orleans" by Jimmie Driftwood / Johnny Horton

"The Devil Went Down To Georgia" by Charlie Daniels Band

"Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover" by Paul Simon

battle of new orleans? is that the one that starts, in 1840 we took a little trip, cos thats my bill hayley

anyway

i would include

i want candy - aaron carter

stacys mom - fountains of wayne

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/05/05 at 9:33 am

'Sk8er Boi'  (Okay -- I joke, but... I guess it's a generational thing.)
Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (the rhythm makes it a challenge to pull off a parody that's singable at standard tempo)
Both Sides Now (the A-A-A-B-C-C-C-B rhyme scheme can be a challenge to do well)
Big Bopper's 'Chantilly Lace'  (Never tried it -- just thought of it)
Paper Lace's 'The Night Chicago Died' (ditto)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (never tried that one, either  ::)  )

Oh, but you could go on forever...

Written By: Josh2 on 04/05/05 at 3:43 pm

i tried super....................

called

superhanyisfantasticshessof***ingsexy

Written By: EthanM on 04/05/05 at 5:02 pm

A lot of tough songs have been mentioned, but most of them are not nearly as difficult as parodying eminem without cutting corners on the rhyme scheme. Rapper's delight in probably even harder than those if you actually use all the original lines since it's 3000 words long. That's about the size of a 10-12 page term paper. Of everything mentioned blinded by the light is the only one i've tried to do and failed.

I've  done all five that kristof listed but i don't think any of them would fall into my top five of hardest songs to parody that i've done. Here's what that list is for the moment (it could change at any time)

5: Dirt off your shoulder by Jay-Z
      4: Without Me by eminem
      3: Business by Eminem
        2: Lose yourself by Eminem
        1: Baby got back by sir mix-a-lot (that one literally took me years)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/05/05 at 8:53 pm

I can harldy disagree with Ethan's point, but let's put two and two together.
Generally, the audience for Eminem (and others) aren't associated with intellectualism. So the majority of Eminem (and other) parodies are by twelve year olds using 90% of the original lyrics and just subbing in their name or those of others to get their little buzz of superiority.

And generally, those who parody epics such as Gilbert & Sullivan (and others) are educated folk who have been 'trained' if you will to appreciate the conventions of double-entendre, puns et al.

I totally agree with most of the songs posted here, but I personally am waiting for THE HOLY GRAIL PARODY of Weird Al's 'Albuquerque'. It puts American Pie et al (and others...man, am I funny.) to shame in it's complete lack of pacing, rhyme or any other structural framework for one to parody.

I call dibs on "I'll Be Quirky."

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/05/05 at 8:55 pm

Generally, the audience for Eminem (and others) aren't associated with intellectualism. So the majority of Eminem (and other) parodies are by twelve year olds using 90% of the original lyrics and just subbing in their name or those of others to get their little buzz of superiority.

Speak for yourself, Lukey boy  ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 04/06/05 at 1:52 am

I have a theory of my own. It says that any discussion about what exact songs are the best will inevitably end up showing that not all parody writers were born in the same decade… ;-)

How about what types/categories of parodies that you should have done instead?

1. To an almost unknown original that you were well aware that probably everyone else would ignore because they DKTOS.

2. To just about any song but as a long time project, let’s say at least 2-3 months in the making.

3. To any relatively well known song but to a hot topic, written and posted on the same day but still well paced and without filler lines. (This is the one that’s hardest for me, but I have done it, and I’d like to try it more often).

4. To a new song while it’s still hot on the charts.

5. To a very long original, let’s say at least 500 words.

6. A parody about your friends, family or profession that you either performed or put on display for them at home, work or in school.

7. A trilogy or an even longer series of parodies tied together by a theme.

Those are the ones that I can think of from the top of my head.

//  Peter

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/06/05 at 7:59 am

I've done everything but #4 and #6 on your list.

I don't cater to making song parodies about work or family because there's very little universality in it(ie.,things that most everyone can appreciate or understand). I have a germ of a song idea about the next Pope that I might work on and submit the day the Conclave announces their choice.  ;)

I really have no interest in writing parodies of the songs mentioned in the previous posts. I prefer to do songs that no one has done before. But if I get a miraculously inspired idea, I would definitely go for it. :)

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/06/05 at 9:04 am

1. To an almost unknown original that you were well aware that probably everyone else would ignore because they DKTOS.
2. To just about any song but as a long time project, let’s say at least 2-3 months in the making.
3. To any relatively well known song but to a hot topic, written and posted on the same day but still well paced and without filler lines. (This is the one that’s hardest for me, but I have done it, and I’d like to try it more often).
6. A parody about your friends, family or profession that you either performed or put on display for them at home, work or in school.

I haven't done 1, since I'm not sure what would qualifiy as an almost unknown OS.  I've written some parodies of jazz tunes that relatively few people on this site might know, but they're not unknown generally speaking.  To me, parodying an 'unknown' OS seems to contradict the point of 'parody' -- then it's just original lyrics to an existing tune -- I've done that too.

And I don't think I've ever done 4, because I generally don't listen to current pop.

I've never done anything I've worked 2-3 months on continuously, but I think everyone has stuff they've worked on for a while, put away for a couple of days, worked on again, put away for a couple weeks...

Written By: EthanM on 04/06/05 at 10:33 am

I have a theory of my own. It says that any discussion about what exact songs are the best will inevitably end up showing that not all parody writers were born in the same decade… ;-)

//  Peter

1. I try not to do unknown songs but i've done plenty with the knowledge that most people here would DKTOS because the song is so new.
  2. a couple of times... rap parodies can take forever if paced properly
  3. I've done that a few times and i don't think i used filler lines. Some examples are Esther (madonna kaballah), oops i married my friend (Britney's 1st marriage), and I need to gloat (J.Lo and Marc Anthony)
  4. I'm sure i've done this more than anyone on amiright possibly more than anyone ever. There have been a bunch of times when i submitted parodies of songs that were still climbing the charts.
  5.  ditto #4, but Luke might have me beat on average word count
  6.  ditto agri
  7.  Yeah i had that refrigerator parody opera a while back but i don't really talk about that anymore

Written By: Arwen on 04/06/05 at 10:49 am

This thread should be aka "Things We Can Suggest That Will Prove Arwen To Be The Chump That She Is."

The thing is that I agree with most everything you all have listed...I've just fallen short...

Red=things I've done...
Blue=things I've never (and am loserly incapable of doing) done...

"American Pie" by Don McLean (I did a weak one once...that didn't even parody the whole song... :-"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

All of Johnny's suggestions...

Josh2's suggestions (Although I'm not really torn up over not having done either of those songs)

Leo's list...color]

Ethan's list... (Though, again...I've not done rap...because I don't want to do it...not because I can't)

7. A trilogy or an even longer series of parodies tied together by a theme. As long as 982 LoTR parodies count... ;)

Yeah...I really need to get move on... :(

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/06/05 at 10:55 am

This thread should be aka "Things We Can Suggest That Will Prove Arwen To Be The Chump That She Is."

The thing is that I agree with most everything you all have listed...I've just fallen short...

Red=things I've done...
Blue=things I've never (and am loserly incapable of doing) done...

"American Pie" by Don McLean (I did a weak one once...that didn't even parody the whole song... :-"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen

All of Johnny's suggestions...

Josh2's suggestions (Although I'm not really torn up over not having done either of those songs)

Leo's list...color]

Ethan's list... (Though, again...I've not done rap...because I don't want to do it...not because I can't)

7. A trilogy or an even longer series of parodies tied together by a theme. As long as 982 LoTR parodies count... ;)

Yeah...I really need to get move on... :(

Wow, you are a loser.  I'm very disappointed.

Written By: Arwen on 04/06/05 at 11:15 am

Wow, you are a loser.  I'm very disappointed.

I know.  I will understand if you want to resign as my fan club president.

Although...I have to wonder what kind of world we live in, if the ability to parody "Luka" at the drop of a hat means nothing anymore. 

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/06/05 at 11:44 am

I know.  I will understand if you want to resign as my fan club president.

Although...I have to wonder what kind of world we live in, if the ability to parody "Luka" at the drop of a hat means nothing anymore. 

Did you write the one that starts "I am the pooper..."?

Written By: Arwen on 04/06/05 at 11:58 am

Did you write the one that starts "I am the pooper..."?

Sure, Leo...just when I didn't think I could be feeling any worse...NO...I didn't.  In fact, to my chagrin, I've yet to write any parodies about poop.

:-[

Written By: Armstrong on 04/06/05 at 12:27 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and add "Stand" by REM provided you change choruses. Wouldn't have thought that until we did it.

Written By: AdamEcc on 04/06/05 at 1:31 pm

Does it count it I didn't KTOS until I parodied it?  Done a few of those  :D

Don't think I've done that

I tried this once.  Not many votes  :)

Not done that, I don't think

Major General count?  The word count on the lyrics I have is 498, including the character designations :)  Done that one a few times...

Me + performing = catastrophy, so not done this one  :)

Done a couple of those, too :)

//  Peter

Of the listed songs, I haven't heard of a lot of them.  The only listed one I can think of that I've done is Major General.

Written By: K1chyd on 04/07/05 at 1:21 am

I haven't done 1, since I'm not sure what would qualifiy as an almost unknown OS...

Trust your instincts Lu... Leo!

You make a good point, how does one define unknown? And if you ask the question by adding a link and a lot of people check it out to see if they know it or not, then after that they DO know it and it's no longer unknown...  :D

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald being a prime example...

So it's more along the lines of doing a parody well knowing that you MIGHT get no votes or no comments and no recognition, doing it for your own pleasure, for personaly liking the original (or hating it) and because it's an idea that at the time seemed irresistible and thus that being one of the marks of a true parodist. Or maybe that should be "certifiable" parodist...  ::)

Oh, and for the record, I should not have numbered that list because those suggestions of mine do not come in any specific order.

Written By: Kim West on 04/07/05 at 10:06 am

You make a good point, how does one define unknown? And if you ask the question by adding a link and a lot of people check it out to see if they know it or not, then after that they DO know it and it's no longer unknown...  :D

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald being a prime example...

I would not say unknown, but rather, not parodied before. Some songs on Amiright have been redone so many times that it is not necessary to check the OS to see if it makes the grade. Finding a song that has rarely been done or not at all can be a surprise. You're not familiar with lyrics or melody, and therefore the song suffers from lack of votes and comments.

I have two examples I have done that might fall into this category. OS "Over The Hills And Far Away" and OS "Close Every Door To Me" are not exactly what you would call top forty.

To Minith Tirith Far Away
http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/folksongthatibasedfromsharpsrifles0.shtml

Stood In Line For Hours
http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/josephandtheamazingtechnicolordreamcoat0.shtml

So it's more along the lines of doing a parody well knowing that you MIGHT get no votes or no comments and no recognition, doing it for your own pleasure, for personaly liking the original (or hating it) and because it's an idea that at the time seemed irresistible and thus that being one of the marks of a true parodist. Or maybe that should be "certifiable" parodist...
If all you want are lots of votes and comments then do political parodies. They seem to draw both  in great numbers, the only problem is you get a fair amount of negative comments and low 1's. Of course doing extremely popular songs may work as well, or so I've been told. I do not think I'll ever tackle "American Pie" or "Bohemian Rhapsody" because they have been done so many times. I simply choose a song I like then go from there, if people are unfamiliar with the song I'll try to help with links and such. The bottom line in the end is what remains important to you.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/07/05 at 11:35 am

???

Written By: Arwen on 04/07/05 at 11:50 am

???

Think Star Wars...

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/07/05 at 12:14 pm

Think Star Wars...

Feel the farce around you!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/07/05 at 6:38 pm

I love you, Princess Leo-a!

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/07/05 at 7:22 pm

Think Star Wars...

Ah, yes...

(that's what happens when you're the only person in the world who hasn't seen a particular film...)

Written By: 2nz on 04/08/05 at 3:36 pm

Oh bother, missed the conversation I have. You should see them Star Wars flicks, Leo. They're pretty good. The light-sabers have shadows (heh heh, a light source has a shadow...)

Anyway, the "Holy Grails" of parody writing are specific to each author. Everyone here has their own musical tastes and knows of a song or several that are very long and/or very hard to parody. The length and difficulty are what drive us to want to parody these songs. I remember the exact time period where I kinda 'took my lumps'. It was back in February/March of last year and I did the following songs back to back just as "excersices in parody writing":

"Blinded by the Light" -> 'Look into the Light (Dentist Visit)' : I wrote mine in February of last year, Spaff wrote his in either July or August. But if you remember, the Feb SOTM '04 tourney didn't take place until either August or September, the month directly after Spaff had entered his take 'Blind Dates Kind of Bite' and won first place. So even though I beat his out of the gate by basically half a year, I still had several people tell me how much better his was. The man's work is INESCAPABLE I tell ya... like chicken pox...

"American Pie" -> 'Mister Mafia Guy' : Traunced in the very first SOTM tourney by Ethan's 'Mister Miracle Guy'(Same OS), about Christ.

"We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel -> 'I Wanna Join the X-Men' : Proud owner of a whole 1 vote in an ABCs tourney filled with old farts who didn't know the X-Men.

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" -> 'The Wretch that was Gollum and Smeagol' : Never made it into any tourneys.

And I wouldn't trade my experiences both writing and entering these song for anything. So quest for your 'Holy Grails' and become a better parody writer for it. And write about what you want. Let the world catch up to you later. And don't forget to GET SERVED in SOTM at least once. Join the club of those who have gotten served  ;D. I'm an active member.

Check for new replies or respond here...