inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quick question

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/16/05 at 1:58 am

Is 'Yankovic' pronounced so it rhymes with
'wank a pr...'
or
'spank a b...'?

Subject: Re: Quick question

Written By: Alchoholica on 04/16/05 at 2:24 am

'wank a pr...'
or
'spank a b...'?

Spank

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/16/05 at 11:36 am

nah, wank

(imho)

Written By: EthanM on 04/16/05 at 11:36 am

i agree with stu

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/16/05 at 12:53 pm

I'm with Ethan and Stu.  'Vick', not 'Vitch'.

Written By: AdamEcc on 04/17/05 at 8:06 am

In the opening of his Live DVD, his parents pronounce it "vick"

Written By: jreuben on 04/17/05 at 8:49 am

In the opening of his Live DVD, his parents pronounce it "vick"

I 5th the "Vick"

Written By: Josh2 on 04/17/05 at 8:58 am

its Vitch. His parents don't know how to prono8nce there family name, i however, although i have nothing to do with their family do

its vitch, end of story, bye bye

Written By: Rex on 04/17/05 at 9:10 am

Actually, this is an issue Al gave up long ago trying to correct people. The truth is that although his name is spelled "Yankovic" it is pronounced "Spaff".

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/17/05 at 9:50 pm

Oh poop it, then. I'll was thinking of 'Yankovic' to Meredith Brooks' 'I'm a Bitch'.
(or as Mr "It's just '...Baby One More Time', idiot!" would say: "It's just 'Bitch', idiot!".

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/18/05 at 7:49 am

Until I die, I will never understand where anyone got the idea that the name should end with "-vitch". Is there an 'h' and the end of 'Yankovic' that EVERYONE SEES that I just don't??????/ ;)

Written By: karen on 04/18/05 at 7:54 am

'wank a pr...'
or
'spank a b...'?

I thought you were indicating the same spelling here because I thought the second unknown word was brick  ::)

anyways I'd go with the first pronunciation

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/18/05 at 8:40 am

Until I die, I will never understand where anyone got the idea that the name should end with "-vitch". Is there an 'h' and the end of 'Yankovic' that EVERYONE SEES that I just don't??????/ ;)

There are names ending in 'vic' that are pronounced 'vitch'.  There may well be Yankovics who pronounce their name 'Yankovitch'.

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/18/05 at 9:42 am

Using "-vitch" would be an insult to the Yankovick name. Take Slobodan Milosevic and Weird Al Yankovic.  They're too different to have the same last syllable of their last name...DUH. 

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/18/05 at 10:08 am

Using "-vitch" would be an insult to the Yankovick name. Take Slobodan Milosevic and Weird Al Yankovic.  They're too different to have the same last syllable of their last name...DUH. 

Thanks, wisea**  young whippersnapper, for providing an example when one escaped my aged brain.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/18/05 at 9:04 pm

Yankovic parody now up!!!
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/meredithbrooks12.shtml

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/18/05 at 10:01 pm

All of the males in my family changed their name from 'Bratovic' to 'Brattoni' when they came here in the 60's, but my aunty and other estranged relatives still go by 'Bratovic' which rhymes with 'which'.

...I almost don't believe you.  ??? 

MEH? 

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/18/05 at 11:06 pm

...I almost don't believe you.   ??? 

Ooh, 'almost'. You fence-sitter, you! It causes a sore butt, ya know.
I'm not completely 'down' with the story behind it, but basically after WWII a whole load of poltical border-changing stuff happened and Yugoslavia lost it's Italian border to the land that is nowadays Serbia and Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia/Herzegovina. This resulted in a political mess for civilians who had to be called up at 14 to do compulsory military service for whatever government now ran their homeland. So I think that's why all the males changed their names and immigrated to Australia in the early 60s.

And who passed their Year 10 Modern History test without study, somehow topping the grade?
*LleytonHewitt-esque "Come on!" gesture *

Written By: EmiLoca on 04/19/05 at 6:58 am

Ooh, 'almost'. You fence-sitter, you! It causes a sore butt, ya know.
I'm not completely 'down' with the story behind it, but basically after WWII a whole load of poltical border-changing stuff happened and Yugoslavia lost it's Italian border to the land that is nowadays Serbia and Montenegro, Slovenia, Croatia and Bosnia/Herzegovina. This resulted in a political mess for civilians who had to be called up at 14 to do compulsory military service for whatever government now ran their homeland. So I think that's why all the males changed their names and immigrated to Australia in the early 60s.

And who passed their Year 10 Modern History test without study, somehow topping the grade?
*LleytonHewitt-esque "Come on!" gesture *

Cool beans.  So...Italian, but your *real* last name is not, therefore making your blood purely Yugoslavian/Serbian/Monetenegrogrian/Croatian/Bosnian/Herzegovinianianian. 

*ponders*

I think I'll change my last name to Rigatoni.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/19/05 at 8:04 pm

I think I'll change my last name to Rigatoni.

Like it ribbed, do ya?
*spaghetti-strand whipcrack*

Written By: Al Dente on 04/19/05 at 8:18 pm

Like it ribbed, do ya?
*spaghetti-strand whipcrack*

Master Brattoni, you should be ashamed of yourself for making such a lewd allusion.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 04/19/05 at 8:23 pm

Master Brattoni, you should be ashamed of yourself for making such a lewd allusion.

BUSTED, Apricot. BUSTED.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 04/19/05 at 9:18 pm

BUSTED, Apricot. BUSTED.

;D  ;D  ;D

pwned

Check for new replies or respond here...