inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: amiright anthologies?

Written By: EthanM on 04/16/05 at 2:05 pm

Would it be legal for me to make compilations of parodies mostly written by other people and have all the royalty checks go to me? I would give credit to the authors and add commentary and i would give myself a small royalty. (no more than $1 per book) If i would be allowed to do this and self-published it, would anyone be interested in buying a copy?

Subject: Re: amiright anthologies?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/16/05 at 2:10 pm

Would it be legal for me to make compilations of parodies mostly written by other people and have all the royalty checks go to me? I would give credit to the authors and add commentary and i would give myself a small royalty. (no more than $1 per book) If i would be allowed to do this and self-published it, would anyone be interested in buying a copy?

I think you'd have to get Chucky G's and some of the other site moderator's agreement, as you'd be using stuff from their website. It's actually a really, really good idea. I'd sign up for a copy if I had any money...  :-\\
It's along the same lines as my 'Now That's What I Call Parodies!' compilation album, which I was going to ask about (don't worry - my idea's only for a laugh!) Really good idea, though

Written By: Rex on 04/16/05 at 2:23 pm

Here's what I believe to be true (but I'm no lawyer): the rights to the lyrics posted on AmIRight reside with the authors. In order to publish a compilation, you would have to get permission from each of the authors whose works you publish.

Written By: Gonfunko on 04/16/05 at 3:28 pm

Here's what I believe to be true (but I'm no lawyer): the rights to the lyrics posted on AmIRight reside with the authors. In order to publish a compilation, you would have to get permission from each of the authors whose works you publish.

This is the impression I'm under too. When you submit, it asks for your name (to give you, the author, credit), and nowhere does it state that submitted parodies become the property of AmIRight.com. Hence, all rights to the lyrics remain with the parody authors - you would need their permission to include their parodies in any kind of book, unless someone here has their parodies under a Creative Commons license.

Check for new replies or respond here...