inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Now That's What I Call Parodies!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/16/05 at 3:29 pm

This one's just for a laugh

If there ever was a Now That's What I Call Parodies compilation album made, which parodies from AmIRight do you think should be put on it?
You can pick ANY parody/parodies from AmIRight (even the earliest ones), and if you can be bothered, you can even write a playlist of your faves! And yes, you are allowed to nominate your own!
I'm leaving this one entirely up to you because it's interesting to hear everyone's favourite parodies...

Subject: Re: Now That's What I Call Parodies!

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/16/05 at 3:38 pm

I would nominate Dee Range's Celebrity Fair/ Rant-Giggle or any of the " I am the very model of modern major general " parodies. There are parodies with more votes, but out of the last 2 months those are what I am thinking of ( that I KTOS ).

Will not be a ball hog and nominate my own ( because they ALL SUCK!! )
Note: That was sarcasm, only most of them suck ;)

;D

I woul probably nominate "Videogames They Make Me Go AAArgh!" - I think it's one of the best i've read so far. Authors which would definately get onto such a compilation album (in my opinion) would be Johnny D, Spaff.com, Guy DiRito and others like Tokuso Blessranger even though I don't really get his parodies

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 3:54 pm

;D

I woul probably nominate "Videogames They Make Me Go AAArgh!" - I think it's one of the best i've read so far. Authors which would definately get onto such a compilation album (in my opinion) would be Johnny D, Spaff.com, Guy DiRito and others like Tokuso Blessranger even though I don't really get his parodies

All the writers you mentioned would get included as well, but as far as the last two months goes only Spaff.com " Vatican City " would make it for me( along with the other mentions-no disrespect to the others writers ) I haven't looked at all 32000+ parodies to see what would belong ( and I won't ).

There are so many great parodies that basically www.amiright.com IS that compilation.

Now, as far as having someone SING the parodied words Karaoke -style over the original music, THAT would be VERY cool. Of course, this debate would rage on forever as to what would go and what wouldn't ( with few exceptions ). You could probably ask every parodist on the 25+ list to pick their favorite 10 parodies and I'd hazzard a guess that few songs would be nearly universal. Not to mention it would have to be a box set, as I'm guessing again that there would be nearly 40 parodies that would receive enough votes to make it onto this wish-list.

Just a theory guys, don't go blowin' me down on this.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/16/05 at 4:04 pm

There are so many great parodies that basically www.amiright.com IS that compilation.
Now, as far as having someone SING the parodied words Karaoke -style over the original music, THAT would be VERY cool

Yeah, I suppose AmIRight is sorta like a Now Thats What I Call Parodies compilation - with a few exceptions! And actually having someone SING the parodies? Nice idea.
You did already know that this thread's only for a laugh, just to see what author's think of each others work, don't you?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/16/05 at 4:46 pm

Yeah, I suppose AmIRight is sorta like a Now Thats What I Call Parodies compilation - with a few exceptions! And actually having someone SING the parodies? Nice idea.
You did already know that this thread's only for a laugh, just to see what author's think of each others work, don't you?

Yes, but generally when I go speaking for others they shoot me down faster than an Iraqi jet in the no-fly zone.

Written By: Josh2 on 04/16/05 at 5:08 pm

u gotta put on the parody of pizza hut called 'oh Amiright'

great parody n comliments AmIRight really well

Can't rmember who wrote it actually, some good dashing good looking chap i think

Cool Guy, Ladies love hm

ahh well, it's lost me

Written By: EthanM on 04/16/05 at 6:42 pm

I think there are waaaaaaaaaaay too many quality (better than 90% of professional stuff) parodies on this site to have a CD's worth of material that everyone would agree is the best, especially considering the vastly diverse opinions on the site as to what kinds of original songs and subjects are ideal for parodies. What i think should happen is that someone with connections in radio should try to convince morning show hosts who don't currently have talented parody writers on their staff to look for people here to buy material off of.

Written By: Gonfunko on 04/16/05 at 6:54 pm

I think there are waaaaaaaaaaay too many quality (better than 90% of professional stuff) parodies on this site to have a CD's worth of material that everyone would agree is the best, especially considering the vastly diverse opinions on the site as to what kinds of original songs and subjects are ideal for parodies. What i think should happen is that someone with connections in radio should try to convince morning show hosts who don't currently have talented parody writers on their staff to look for people here to buy material off of.

If you could somehow get 30,000+ recordings made, maybe you could start a website that people can download parodies from. Just imagine! The iSpoof Music Store!  ;D

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/16/05 at 10:02 pm

What i think should happen is that someone with connections in radio should try to convince morning show hosts who don't currently have talented parody writers on their staff to look for people here to buy material off of.

lol..didnt we discuss this at the New York Parodies writers convention lol? 

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/16/05 at 10:04 pm

There would have to be more than one compliation....for each period of AmiRight....like one for 2000-2001, another for 2002, and we probably would need 2 or 3 for 2003, and even more for later years.....

Written By: 2nz on 04/16/05 at 11:01 pm

lol..didnt we discuss this at the New York Parodies writers convention lol? 

That's right, we did... along with a helpful parody copyright conversation. Anyone know anyone in radio that we could INFLUENCE? How 'bout knowing anyone in radio, period?

Rick D? Mari D? I know you two have been busy, but I also know that you've recorded some stuff AND have 'experience' in contacting the good Dr. Demento. Any feedback on even your experiences with trying to get stuff out into the world would be appreciated. And that goes for all who have tried.

Written By: STG on 04/17/05 at 12:55 am

Bong Song...................................
and maybe even
Road Trip

yes,I know they are both by myself, but that's all I have to hold onto

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/17/05 at 5:15 am

There would have to be more than one compliation....for each period of AmiRight....like one for 2000-2001, another for 2002, and we probably would need 2 or 3 for 2003, and even more for later years.....

Perhaps they should do the same as what they do with the actualy Now! compilations and bring out one in spring, one in summer and one in late autumn/early winter. at least that way they can keep up!
Which (recent) parodies do you reckon would go on the spring edition for 2005 (parodies from about Dec 04 - Mar 05)?

Written By: STG on 04/17/05 at 2:36 pm

Writer's Block by me

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/17/05 at 5:16 pm

Perhaps they should do the same as what they do with the actualy Now! compilations and bring out one in spring, one in summer and one in late autumn/early winter. at least that way they can keep up!
Which (recent) parodies do you reckon would go on the spring edition for 2005 (parodies from about Dec 04 - Mar 05)?

i unfortunatly havent had enough time to read any new parodies in a few months, so I cant answer that......

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/18/05 at 7:54 am

As far as Dr. Demento is concerned, if the song is UNQUESTIONABLY FUNNY and PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING FOR NATIONAL RADIO AIRPLAY, that's all that's basically required. He still personally checks all submissions and determines if they will get played.

Check the current address at www.drdemento.com.

Written By: EthanM on 04/18/05 at 11:51 am

professional sounding... there's the hard part for those of us who don't have musical talent or Robert Lund

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/18/05 at 12:11 pm

It's not that hard to find a decent amateur singer who will record for free.  You just have to pay for studio time.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/20/05 at 4:54 pm

I suppose actually having the parodies sung would be cool, but for the time being i'm only really interested in hearing which parodies people would have on the playlist.
What about if they made a 3 disk compilation: 'Now That's What I Call Parodies: Years', featuring the top parodies from the last couple of years? which ones would you put on then?

Written By: EthanM on 04/20/05 at 11:55 pm

The only was i could possibly choose is if i just picked from my own submissions... otherwise there is just too much. And even that might be hard

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/21/05 at 7:47 am

professional sounding... there's the hard part for those of us who don't have musical talent or Robert Lund

That's not to say that Demento does not play music by artists that some would consider as having no musical talent. Nor does it mean you need to hire a multitrack studio...remember that Weird AL's first songs airing on Demento were recorded on a home tape recorder in his bedroom.

Written By: EthanM on 04/21/05 at 4:42 pm

Weird Al did have a couple of huge advantages over me though:
1. There were probably far fewer people submitting to Dr. Demento at the time
2. He could play an instrument... i can't even use midi backing tracks now that the copyright police have been cracking down on those

Check for new replies or respond here...