inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Imposter

Written By: MooRocca on 04/20/05 at 3:06 pm

I opened a new window to check my parodies against the number of ratings in a window I brought up, yesterday, to see if anything had new ratings since the update.  2 did... one that I'm running in one of the contests and one of my older ones.  So, I clicked on the older one and not only did I have a comment, there was a "thanks" posted to the commenter, in my nick, at a time I could not have posted it because I was at work and nowhere near an Internet connection. 

Nothing was said that I have a problem with, it's just kind of weird. 

Subject: Re: Imposter

Written By: Arwen on 04/20/05 at 3:59 pm

Who was the thank you addressed to?  Maybe said addressee thanked themselves...in an effort to appear cool by association.  I mean...I know that I didn't feel like I had "arrived" until I'd been thanked by you, MooRocca... ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 04/20/05 at 4:04 pm

Or, more likely, some jerkoff who thinks you took too long to reply.  I think that happened to Spaff once.  Anonymous a-holes.

Written By: 2nz on 04/20/05 at 4:44 pm

Someone impersonated you to make themselves feel better. It's kind of a weird complement in an of itself when you think about it... or maybe just when I think about it... is it too late to just go with what Arwen and Claude said?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/20/05 at 4:47 pm

I opened a new window to check my parodies against the number of ratings in a window I brought up, yesterday, to see if anything had new ratings since the update.   2 did... one that I'm running in one of the contests and one of my older ones.  So, I clicked on the older one and not only did I have a comment, there was a "thanks" posted to the commenter, in my nick, at a time I could not have posted it because I was at work and nowhere near an Internet connection. 

Nothing was said that I have a problem with, it's just kind of weird.   

very wierd  ???
As long as nothing insulting was said or anything, then I suppose there's no harm done. if you don't like them doing it, just post a polite comment asking them to stop

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/20/05 at 4:51 pm

hmmm....how do we know that YOU are the real MooRocca?  How?  For all we know, you;re the imposter, and this person that said thanks is the real MooRocca........we can't trust anyone anymore, can we?

Written By: MooRocca on 04/20/05 at 5:05 pm

Who was the thank you addressed to?  Maybe said addressee thanked themselves...in an effort to appear cool by association.  I mean...I know that I didn't feel like I had "arrived" until I'd been thanked by you, MooRocca... ;)

Cool by association with me, hmm?   Yeah, I am the queen of cool (that IS what people mean when they call me The Ice Queen, right?)  so that's probably it.  ;)  

We interrupt this post for a special MooRocca news bulletin:  Josh 999 is officially cool.  
We now return you to your regular post-programming, in progress.

Or, more likely, some jerkoff who thinks you took too long to reply.  I think that happened to Spaff once.  Anonymous a-holes.

It did take me a full day to spot it.  Well, that tears it,  against the advice of many a reader of my parodies, I am going to have to quit my day-jobs... and I'm going to have to give up all the other junk I do, let my house fall down around me and send my family off to live with a new wife/mom/slave, so I can spend 24/7 refreshing screens to ensure I never miss a comment, again!   ;D    

Someone impersonated you to make themselves feel better. It's kind of a weird complement in an of itself when you think about it... or maybe just when I think about it... is it too late to just go with what Arwen and Claude said?

If impersonating ME makes someone feel better... wow, things must be pretty bad.  ;)

very wierd ???
As long as nothing insulting was said or anything, then I suppose there's no harm done. if you don't like them doing it, just post a polite comment asking them to stop

If they're just going to beat me to thanking people who rate my parodies and they don't say anthing I wouldn't say, anyway, it's not really anything awful.  It would be nice if they'd maybe embellish the nick a little when they do it "Faux MooRocca" or "Fake MooRocca" or "MooRocca-wannabe" or something like that.  

hmmm....how do we know that YOU are the real MooRocca? How? For all we know, you;re the imposter, and this person that said thanks is the real MooRocca........we can't trust anyone anymore, can we?

Well, I DO have to log in with a password, over here.  :)  But, if I wasn't me when I signed up with that password... oh dear, what I'm the clone and the other MooRocca is the real MooRocca who was supposed to be destroyed but woke up alive?  Ack... what if this is all just a bad Ahnold movie and none of us is real?!  *faints*   

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/21/05 at 1:02 am

MooRocca, I had exactly the same thing happen to me, someone thanking a commenter FOR me, and using my name, although they used Stu McArthur, whereas I've always used Stuart McArthur for my comments.  That just told me it's someone who uses the message board (to know "Stu") and possibly linked to Blue Ant, whose comment was being thanked on my behalf, and who appeared at amiright just after Red Ant

if you want to compare, it's the comment on this parody on March 17th 2005.....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/robertpalmer30.shtml

I also noticed it happen with Spaff once.

It didn't bother me though.  If it were something underhand, I'd get it deleted - I'd never give subversives the attention they seek ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 2:00 am

MooRocca, I had exactly the same thing happen to me, someone thanking a commenter FOR me, and using my name, although they used Stu McArthur, whereas I've always used Stuart McArthur for my comments.  That just told me it's someone who uses the message board (to know "Stu") and possibly linked to Blue Ant, whose comment was being thanked on my behalf, and who appeared at amiright just after Red Ant

if you want to compare, it's the comment on this parody on March 17th 2005.....

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/robertpalmer30.shtml

I also noticed it happen with Spaff once.

It didn't bother me though.  If it were something underhand, I'd get it deleted - I'd never give subversives the attention they seek ;)

Stuart, I saw the link. No, that person didn't use your real name but was close enough for me to bother me a bit. As far as " Blue Ant " goes, that happened after someone used my complete " Red Ant " name in a name field. Nothing bad was said. Whoever Blue Ant is may have done the original joke, but I did not find it funny at all ( in retrospect I do relaize that it was in jest, but I consider it identity theft, just as happened with Spaff.com ( saw that one also )). I do respect whoever Blue Ant ( even seen White Ant once ) is for not using my real screen name in name fields anymore.

I do not mind " Blue Ant" as that is clearly not me, but Stu McArthur may be mistaken as you. If someone had it out for YOU on a parody you submitted and could impersonate you well enough to leave derrogatory comments I think you may be a bit more upset ( although you have been here longer and I would think that wouldn't happen, but the Spaff.com comment was derogatory but clearly not Spaff's writing style ).

More recently a PARODY was posted in another Amirighter's name ( spelled correctly ), but wasn't their style, confirmed by the REAL person in a comment. They may think it is funny, but I do not ( that parody was removed quickly BTW ).

I do not used modified versions of people's names in the name field, although I may parody your name in a comment ( unlikely though ). I have also seen what appears to be false comments using 2 other amirighters names in parodies in the last 2 weeks ( one was not derogatory, the other was ).

Written By: marthadtox3 on 04/21/05 at 2:58 am

Mehli  . I' m glad you raised this issue...I think it must have happened to lots of people .. I have occasionally noticed comments around the place in my name that I didn't make and I would like to take this opportunity to remark that if any weird /unpleasant comments appear in my name it definitely isn't me cos I definitely don't do that!

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/21/05 at 3:15 am

I do not mind " Blue Ant" as that is clearly not me, but Stu McArthur may be mistaken as you. If someone had it out for YOU on a parody you submitted and could impersonate you well enough to leave derrogatory comments I think you may be a bit more upset

yeah, it would be annoying, Red Ant, but I suppose I would either add a comment saying it was an imposter (as I did) or, if it was derogatory about me or someone else, ask for it to be deleted.

I don't even want to be bothered thinking about what the subversive's motives are, because stirring people up is obviously part of the motive.  It reminds me a bit of the South Park episode where they banish Kenny from the group, and he thinks up and executes all these lame paybacks, thinking he's an evil genius, but they don't bother anyone, and noone even really notices.

also, I always read Latest Messages first, when I enter the site, and would pick up an imposter very quickly in order to add a correcting comment to, or to delete - so that's another reason why it wouldn't bother me

as for Blue Ant, no I never thought that was you - but it's obviously a take on Red Ant - for whatever dumb reason - see the "Kenny" anecdote above

Written By: MooRocca on 04/21/05 at 8:55 am

If it's happening quite a bit and it's someone who knows us from the boards, that makes more sense, at least.  I have such a small (almost microscopic) presence over on Amiright, right now, it was a head scratcher that anyone would notice me to choose me to mimic.  No harm, no foul, in my case, just kind of weird to see it.  Using someone else's nick to submit parodies and/or to alter perception of someone's personality -- now, that's a whole 'nother story.  I'm very sorry to hear that's been going on.  >:(

Anyway, if my doppleganger is reading this:  If you'd really like to be me, PLEASE feel free to go be me at my back-breaking job this Sunday.  I could sleep in, then get some work done around here and you'd get cured of wanting to be me -- it's win/win!  :D 

Written By: 2nz on 04/21/05 at 9:20 am

Anyway, if my doppleganger is reading this:  If you'd really like to be me, PLEASE feel free to go be me at my back-breaking job this Sunday.  I could sleep in, then get some work done around here and you'd get cured of wanting to be me -- it's win/win!   :D 

Well said, Mel.

I don't even want to be bothered thinking about what the subversive's motives are, because stirring people up is obviously part of the motive.  It reminds me a bit of the South Park episode where they banish Kenny from the group, and he thinks up and executes all these lame paybacks, thinking he's an evil genius, but they don't bother anyone, and noone even really notices.

Stu, I'm an old South Park enthusiast from back in the day (And yeah it's been around long enough to have a 'back in the day'). You sure that's not supposed to be 'Butters' instead of 'Kenny' in that episode? I'm just thinkin' Kenny's died enough to know how to execute a proper payback plan.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 04/21/05 at 10:12 am

Well said, Mel.

Stu, I'm an old South Park enthusiast from back in the day (And yeah it's been around long enough to have a 'back in the day'). You sure that's not supposed to be 'Butters' instead of 'Kenny' in that episode? I'm just thinkin' Kenny's died enough to know how to execute a proper payback plan.

yes, thanks 2nz, of course it wasn't Kenny - sorry to all SP enthusiasts  :-[

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 1:08 pm

as for Blue Ant, no I never thought that was you - but it's obviously a take on Red Ant - for whatever dumb reason - see the "Kenny" anecdote above

Yeah, the " Blue Ant " isn't me and I didn't mean to imply I thought that you thought that it was me. Just clarifying that up as I posted an " Imposter " thread before and when I saw this topic I was curios as to what was being said.

PS- In parody comments, how do you make separate paragraphs? I heard use the carriage tag but I do not see an option on my keyboard for that. I have a standard American keyboard. Is it a combination of keys?

Written By: MooRocca on 04/21/05 at 1:18 pm

PS- In parody comments, how do you make separate paragraphs? I heard use the carriage tag but I do not see an option on my keyboard for that. I have a standard American keyboard. Is it a combination of keys?

It's the same as for a line break in html, except that you can use more than one in a row to get more than just a single "carriage return". 
Not sure if this will show up, correctly here:  <br>    less-than symbol br greater-than symbol
If you want a double space, you type it twice <br><br>  and so on.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/21/05 at 2:36 pm

Well, I've just double-checked volume 'M' of Leo Jay's Encyclopedia of Personal Pseudonyms and, strangely enough, 'MooRocca' is not among those I've used.

Subject: Re: Impostor

Written By: ... on 04/21/05 at 2:39 pm

Speaking of impostors, I noticed earlier this week that two parodies had comments under my name, and I never even looked at those parodies. Furthermore, the person who had commented under "..." used language that I would never use. I've seen such comments in the past, and tried reporting them "inappropriate", but I came back later and found that they were still there. I guess if someone comments under another's name, that's not considered inappropriate?

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/21/05 at 2:51 pm

Speaking of impostors, I noticed earlier this week that two parodies had comments under my name, and I never even looked at those parodies. Furthermore, the person who had commented under "..." used language that I would never use. I've seen such comments in the past, and tried reporting them "inappropriate", but I came back later and found that they were still there. I guess if someone comments under another's name, that's not considered inappropriate?

I don't know that you can claim exclusive rights to a name like "...".  It's the kind of thing anyone might use to be anonymous.

Written By: MooRocca on 04/21/05 at 3:49 pm

Well, I've just double-checked volume 'M' of Leo Jay's Encyclopedia of Personal Pseudonyms and, strangely enough, 'MooRocca' is not among those I've used.

Yeah, I noticed that you'd been snubbing it.  Not good enough for you, eh?  Well, you know what?  I have feelings, mister and snubs like that hurt!

;D

Written By: Ellipsis on 04/21/05 at 11:40 pm

I don't know that you can claim exclusive rights to a name like "...".  It's the kind of thing anyone might use to be anonymous.

But I can be sure that I have made at least 97 or 98% of the comments under the pseudonym "..." for the past two years. I use it as my pseudonym because it's like the easiest thing to type. I do have a name, like any human being, but I'm still not gonna say what it is.
The point I'm trying to make is that if two or more distinct people comment under the same name, someone reading those comments might think that the person's demeanor/personality/etc. has drasticly changed.

Ah...I give up. If I see someone make a comment under my pseudonym, I just tell them that I'm the real entity with that name.

Written By: MooRocca on 04/22/05 at 12:51 am

But I can be sure that I have made at least 97 or 98% of the comments under the pseudonym "..." for the past two years. I use it as my pseudonym because it's like the easiest thing to type. I do have a name, like any human being, but I'm still not gonna say what it is.
The point I'm trying to make is that if two or more distinct people comment under the same name, someone reading those comments might think that the person's demeanor/personality/etc. has drasticly changed.

Ah...I give up. If I see someone make a comment under my pseudonym, I just tell them that I'm the real entity with that name.

Well, I've never posted under your pseudonym, but I do seem to work it into conversation a LOT.  :D  (Bad habit I picked up pretty quick once I joined the net.) 

Out of curiosity, are you also "ellipsis" or is that someone else, entirely?

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/22/05 at 9:22 am

But I can be sure that I have made at least 97 or 98% of the comments under the pseudonym "..." for the past two years.

But how could you possibly know that?

I use it as my pseudonym because it's like the easiest thing to type.

Actually, for a lefty using standard keyboard fingering, 'f' is the easiest thing to type; for a righty, 'j' is the easiest thing to type.   From an algorithm I've developed, I've determined that '...' is about the 449th easiest thing for a righty to type and about the 1057th easiest thing for a lefty.

That's why it's best to choose something more distinctive, like Leo Jay, Lee O. Jay, Leon James, Frito Lay, Pimpin' Lee, Mistress Leola....

Well, that works... as long as you're willing to accept that half the people will just think that you're the imposter, and that the imposter is the real '...'.

In fact, 'guest' Ellipsis, how do I know who I am really responding to?  Are you '...'?  And is '...' you?  Why are you using two names? 

Or is one of you really you and the other just pretending to be you? 

Or is it that they're both you, and that you're just pretending that someone's pretending to be you?

Written By: ... on 04/22/05 at 2:16 pm

To MooRocca: I am known as "Ellipsis" on amiright and here. See, three dots is known as the ellipsis mark, right? So that's part of the reason why I use "..." and "Ellipsis" interchangeably...they pretty much mean the same thing.

Furthermore, once when I posted a comment (I think it was on someone's parody) in May 2003, as "...", the parody author responded to my comment with: "Thank you, Ellipsis" and said a few more things. Since then, I've used "..." the majority of the time when I make a comment on a certain parody (or thread), and if I make a follow-up comment on the same parody or thread, I spell it out.

Lee OJ:
1.) Whenever I read the "latest comments" page and I come across a comment posted as "..." that I know I didn't write, I have to tell the person that made the comment that I did not say that.
2.) How do YOU know the statistics about what's the easiest thing to type? Are you trippin'? All I have to do is strike the period three times...anyone can do that.
3.) How are YOUR alternate names more distinctive?
4.)a) Can't they just look at the IP address?
   b) Yes, I am. Look at my reply to MooRocca.
   c) They are both me. Again, look at my reply to MooRocca.
   d) Yes, once again, they are both me. I am not pretending.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/22/05 at 2:51 pm

Lee OJ:

1.) Whenever I read the "latest comments" page and I come across a comment posted as "..." that I know I didn't write, I have to tell the person that made the comment that I did not say that.

Well, sure... if that's really you and not some pseudo-ellipsis.

2.) How do YOU know the statistics about what's the easiest thing to type? Are you trippin'? All I have to do is strike the period three times...anyone can do that.

Typing '...' requires consecutive striking with the fourth digit, the weakest finger on the hand.  The index finger, by contrast is the strongest digit on the hand, therefore typing 'fff' or 'jjj' would be considerably easier and faster. A simple 'f' or 'j' would be faster still.

3.) How are YOUR alternate names more distinctive?

'...' is generic.  'Mistress Leola' ees verry far froom ginehrich, dahlink.

4.)a) Can't they just look at the IP address?

Nope.  Only visible to you.  And Chucky, I suppose.

4.)b) Yes, I am. Look at my reply to MooRocca.

Sure, you wrote that... but I still don't know that you're the original .../Ellipsis, do I?

4.) c) They are both me. Again, look at my reply to MooRocca.

Again, look at my prior comment.

4.)d) Yes, once again, they are both me. I am not pretending.

So you say... but who are you... really?

2.) ... Are you trippin'?

Perhaps.

Written By: MooRocca on 04/22/05 at 3:10 pm

To MooRocca: I am known as "Ellipsis" on amiright and here. See, three dots is known as the ellipsis mark, right? So that's part of the reason why I use "..." and "Ellipsis" interchangeably...they pretty much mean the same thing.

I thought you were one and the same, but all this time I have tried to remember to be very careful about thanking you with your name exactly as you typed it, just in case I was wrong.  :)     

Written By: Ellipsis on 04/25/05 at 10:01 pm

Typing '...' requires consecutive striking with the fourth digit, the weakest finger on the hand.  The index finger, by contrast is the strongest digit on the hand, therefore typing 'fff' or 'jjj' would be considerably easier and faster. A simple 'f' or 'j' would be faster still.

Yes, that would be true...if my hands were in the standard position on the home row of the keyboard.

'...' is generic.

You rheeeally expect me 2 believe zat?
I thought up the "ellipsis" pseudonym myself in April 2003.

Sure, you wrote that... but I still don't know that you're the original .../Ellipsis, do I?

YES I AM FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD!

So you say... but who are you... really?

I am Mr. Ellipsis. I am not going to tell you what my real name is. I'm keeping that a secret because I don't want to reveal my true identity over the net.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/26/05 at 9:13 am

I thought up the "ellipsis" pseudonym myself in April 2003.

Well, certainly someone thought it up at some point.  But as such a regular participant, is there some reason you choose to post on these boards as a 'guest' rather than as a registered member?  As you know, an unregistered guest can post here under any name they choose.  Hence my skepticism that you are, as you claim, the one, the only, the authentic '...'.

I am Mr. Ellipsis. I am not going to tell you what my real name is. I'm keeping that a secret because I don't want to reveal my true identity over the net.

No one is suggesting that you reveal your true identity (or even any alternate names you may use, you scamp).  There are only a handful of people who use anything even resembling a full legal name, and even those might be pseudonyms, for all I know... or care.  The point is that the names are unique, and that the participants post as registered members rather than as guests, which provides reasonable assurance that the person who posts as 'Leo Jay' today is the same 'Leo Jay' who posted yesterday.

Besides, if you're calling yourself '...' one day, 'Ellipsis' the next day, and 'Mr. Elllipsis' on yet another day, how can anyone help but be skeptical?

Written By: ... on 04/26/05 at 9:47 am

Besides, if you're calling yourself '...' one day, 'Ellipsis' the next day, and 'Mr. Elllipsis' on yet another day, how can anyone help but be skeptical?

Look, man, "..." and "Ellipsis" mean the same darn thing. I've said it before and I'll say it again if I have to. Three periods together is known as the ellipsis mark, right? So "ellipsis" is a way of spelling out "...", as pointed out previously. Did I not mention that in May of '03, after I had made a comment on someone's parody, they said, "Thank you, Ellipsis"?

I appended the "Mr." title in my last reply to indicate my gender. But I did not type "Mr. Ellipsis" in the name field. That, I never do.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/26/05 at 9:55 am

With all due respect, at this juncture, I feel it would be imprudent of me to continue discussions with persons whose pseudonyms cannot be verified with reasonable certainty.  There has simply been too much identity theft and related fraud on the boards of late.

I wish you all the best in your quest to confirm your identity (or identities).

Written By: ... (Ellipsis) on 04/26/05 at 2:58 pm

You can call me the Ellipsis Man for now. I saw no comments from "..." prior to April 2003, so that's why I say that I thought it up for an alias.

I withdraw from this conversation as of now.

Check for new replies or respond here...