inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the most unfunny parody you have ever read?

Written By: Red Ant on 04/21/05 at 9:15 pm

EDIT: Please do not discuss specifically any parodies not mentioned on this thread and do not link any parodies which you yourself have not written. I do not wish to start a war over this.

The goal on www.amiright.com is to match the pacing of TOS and make it funny ( in general ).

However there are at times issues that need be addressed that are blatantly NOT FUNNY.

Since I do not wish to link some other Amirighter's parody here that may get bombarded with 111s, I will show one I did recently:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvana177.shtml

Please read the foreword VERY CAREFULLY to this parody and the notes at the bottom. I would ask that you do not read the comments ( they are enabled ) on this until you are sure of your " vote ".

If anyone is willing to post their OWN parody that is intentionally not funny I would like to see it.

PS- You may leave comments here or on the parody comments. I would prefer them on the parody itself though.

Final Note: Please atleast leave a comment on any parody posted on this thread even if you DKTOS. Thank you.

Subject: Re: What is the most unfunny parody you have ever read?

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/22/05 at 1:11 am

here are a few:

"19 year old pregnant"
            http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/rollingstones28.shtml

"I sit and eat my freedom fries"
              http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/rollingstones20.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 04/22/05 at 1:57 am

Well. I saw both links ( DKTOS on both ). The first one is not funny. The second had votes all over the place and many people gave it a 5 for funny. While you may have not thought them funny a few people disagreed. The one I listed only has 5 votes, but all 5 are a universal 1 on funny. One person other than myself said it was so unfunny as to be " unvoteable ". Check out the few comments on it even if you DKTOS.

PS- I left comments on those parodies ( short but they are there ).

PS- This " unfunny " parody thread must necessarily exclude one certain Amirighter because that person gets piles of 111s on almost all their parodies.
This is for issues that are serious.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 04/22/05 at 3:37 am

I think the 'funny' option in the voting box is a bit of a misnomer, as people often submit parodies that are not intended to be funny, but to get a message across. A few of mine..."Deserts In Norway", "What A Half-Cocked Fight"...etc...were relatively serious works that still got high votes in the "funny" section. Why? Alot of voters (myself included), interchange "funny" for "depth of  meaning" or "poetic value" when voting. William Tong would never get any 5s if the true definition of funny was adhered to.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/22/05 at 3:50 am

I think the 'funny' option in the voting box is a bit of a misnomer, as people often submit parodies that are not intended to be funny, but to get a message across. A few of mine..."Deserts In Norway", "What A Half-Cocked Fight"...etc...were relatively serious works that still got high votes in the "funny" section. Why? Alot of voters (myself included), interchange "funny" for "depth of  meaning" or "poetic value" when voting. William Tong would never get any 5s if the true definition of funny was adhered to.

I just saw those two parodies. I can't believe that one has 7 perfect 555 as the end of the world due to mankinds fallacies isn't particularly funny ( it is true though ). The second one is a bit funnier only because I could imagine kids singing it ( even though you listed other people singing it ), but due to it's age I do not know how that fared before the vote loss. Again, wouldn't give it a 5 for funny ( No votes on either song, just comments ).

I can understand that about the funny. I substitute  "uniqueness" or "truth" sometimes on parodies in the overall mark usually. As for " depth of meaning " or " poetic value " that's when overall comes into play again.

I can't say that WT parodies would never get a 5 for funny because I've seen so few of them. Anything of his type that are political slams will probably get 111d or 555d with some inbetween votes.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 04/22/05 at 9:26 am

For the purposes of parody evaluation, to most people 'funny' just means 'skillfull'.  It ain't that deep.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/22/05 at 3:25 pm

For the purposes of parody evaluation, to most people 'funny' just means 'skillfull'.  It ain't that deep.

I guess I'm not most people. Lets say that someone took the " Modern Major General " song and talked about the war crimes at Nanking and went into detail on the atrocities there. It would be skillfully written but certainly not funny.

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/22/05 at 4:18 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/donmclean31.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 04/22/05 at 5:55 pm

I saw the link and the parody. Left a comment.

Written By: Billy Florio on 04/22/05 at 7:22 pm

Well. I saw both links ( DKTOS on both ). The first one is not funny. The second had votes all over the place and many people gave it a 5 for funny. While you may have not thought them funny a few people disagreed.

yeah, on second though, "I sit and eat my freedom fries" is slightly funny...I cant put my finger on why, but I guess its like tounge-in-cheek funny or something.....it should give a smile I guess

Written By: 2nz on 04/23/05 at 2:01 pm

I wrote one parody after I saw a one-man-show in NYC. The guy doing this show used to be part of the 'Upright Citizens Brigade' and now every so often does a solo show in the UCB theatre. The beginning of the parody is based on his true story of being half-Jewish in a Catholic school. He had bad experiences growing up, but his one-man-show consisted almost totally of either bashing or degrading not just people he knew personally, but Catholics and people from 'Red States' in general. This is my response to his show.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/johnnycash48.shtml

Written By: Red Ant on 04/23/05 at 4:20 pm

Read the link and posted a comment.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 04/23/05 at 5:52 pm

Too many crap parodies to mention, but these last few days have been really really awful for parodies. I don't think i've even given out a 445, and i've gave out more 1s and 2s than ever. Of course, I only ever post on the parodies I know, but still, I think the last couple of days have been the worst i've seen since joining the site.
And before anyone says "you didn't vote on mine and mines good", like I said, I vote only on the ones I know or remember well enough to vote on.

Written By: Red Ant on 04/29/05 at 9:25 pm

Too many crap parodies to mention, but these last few days have been really really awful for parodies. I don't think i've even given out a 445, and i've gave out more 1s and 2s than ever. Of course, I only ever post on the parodies I know, but still, I think the last couple of days have been the worst i've seen since joining the site.
And before anyone says "you didn't vote on mine and mines good", like I said, I vote only on the ones I know or remember well enough to vote on.

DAK, I understand what you mean. However there is a difference between awful/sucky/poor/boring/etc. parodies and say something that is BLATANTLY UNFUNNY, SHOCKING, DISTURBING, OR DOWNRIGHT OFFENSIVE. I have seen most of the parodies in the days you mentioned at the time of your comment and I did not give them as far as I know less than a 3 for funny.

I have a parody idea that I would post but it is so offensive and unfunny that I might get death threats for even typing such a thing. THAT'S what I'm talking about. It is so unfunny and repulsive that I wouldn't even put it under a false name using a public access computer.

This is of course not a race to see who can make the most unfunny parody ever. I want to laugh when I read parodies not vomit or want to hate the author.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/04/05 at 12:21 pm

THAT'S what I'm talking about. It is so unfunny and repulsive that I wouldn't even put it under a false name using a public access computer.

Oh, I see. There was this one a couple of days ago, I think you read it too, about Britney's boyfriend dying in a horrific car accident. The worst part is, it was an unfunny parody that the author was actually trying to pull off as being funny. I think I gave it a 1 for funny

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/04/05 at 3:39 pm

I thought this thread was about commenting on intentionally 'unfunny' parodies, not a forum for dissing other parodists, however lacking in skill we (in our infinite wisdom and expertise) might think them to be.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/04/05 at 6:34 pm

I thought this thread was about commenting on intentionally 'unfunny' parodies, not a forum for dissing other parodists, however lacking in skill we (in our infinite wisdom and expertise) might think them to be.

It is supposed to be about that- commenting on unfunny parodies. As for dissing other parodists I'm not sure if you are referring to myself or DAK. I do not believe I have dissed any parody or parodist here on this thread.

If you are referring to DAK's post, he did not link it which I would have found unacceptable since he didn't write it. I would have asked admin to remove it.

I don't "hold-over"  "bad" or "unfunny" parodies from one to the next. I usually don't even look at who wrote them because I rate the parody not the parodist.

Written By: Mistress Leola on 05/05/05 at 10:48 am

Clearly, I'm all for letting people have it when I find their stuff to be deliberately obnoxious.  I just get a sense that we're veering into dissing parodies simply for not meeting our 'qualitly' standards.  There's a difference between offering a parodist constructive commentary and just mocking parodies for being bad/lame/stupid.  Everybody's at his/her own level.

Check for new replies or respond here...