inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: My first public performance

Written By: SteveCav on 05/06/05 at 12:16 am

The dude who runs my state's Star Wars fan club has conned me into singing some of my Star Wars parody songs at the Episode III premiere (midnight screening) at Fox Studios in Sydney (where ep III was made). My brother is playing guitar.
I plan to put on Darth Maul makeup so nobody can recognise me. I'm scared stiff!

Are there any Aussies here who will be there? I'll be bringing some lyrics, and if any other parody enthusiasts can sing along I'll feel a lot better...

Subject: Re: My first public performance

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/06/05 at 12:30 am

Awesome, man! Awesome! Are you doing 'Fan'? I could help with that one, being a complete Wafro-Wamerican.
When's the premiere? The 18th or 19th or something? I'll check my frantic schedule, but will try and get there regardless of trivial things like final essays or deaths in the family.

Written By: SteveCav on 05/06/05 at 12:46 am

Awesome, man! Awesome! Are you doing 'Fan'? I could help with that one, being a complete Wafro-Wamerican.
When's the premiere? The 18th or 19th or something? I'll check my frantic schedule, but will try and get there regardless of trivial things like final essays or deaths in the family.

Unfortunately my brother's guitar doesn't do rap too well :-(
It's on at 12:01 on the 19th (ie the night of the 18th).

Some of the ones we're doing include
Max Rebo Band: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/billyjoel163.shtml
Hotel of the Emperor: http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/theeagles31.shtml
Duet with Maul: http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/ronankeating1.shtml
Walkers in a Winter Wonderland: http://www.theforce.net/songbook/songs/37.asp
The one I just added, Have you really, really loved a Wookiee: http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/bryanadams1.shtml

I'm writing a few more for it too, and hope to post them on amiright beforehand.
Are you in Sydney? If you don't have tickets yet the best (possibly only, now) place to get them is at the Star Walking meeting this Sunday: http://sydskyforce.starwalking.net/details.shtml

Does that mean I can count on at least one guy to pretend to laugh?  :-[

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/06/05 at 1:00 am

I only know the Ronan Keating one. Looks like a great lineup, though. I'm staying near Macquarie University but have to rely on buses and trains for transport. I'll try and be there, though I have a hunch all of the big 40% essays will be due around then. Whereabouts are you performing?

Written By: SteveCav on 05/06/05 at 1:05 am

It's not finalised yet, but It's looking like it'll be the lobby as you go in to Cinema 2 (where the screening is).

Written By: philbo on 05/07/05 at 12:39 pm

Break a leg, Steve (unless you're not the luvvie actor-type, in which case best of luck)

Will they be recording?  And when's the DVD coming out?

Written By: SteveCav on 05/08/05 at 6:11 pm

Break a leg, Steve (unless you're not the luvvie actor-type, in which case best of luck)

Will they be recording?  And when's the DVD coming out?

I sure hope they're not recording. My brother and I rehearsed over the weekend and I can promise you this: one way or the other, people WILL be laughing  :-\\

Written By: SteveCav on 05/15/05 at 7:05 pm

Good/Bad news: I'm being videoed for a documentary! 

My leg feels warm and wet.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/15/05 at 7:28 pm

Dratted cursikins, I'm rostered on fornt of house for the uni play from the 18th til the 21st. I'll be with you in spirit though, guiding you with the farce.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/15/05 at 9:44 pm

Good/Bad news: I'm being videoed for a documentary! 

My leg feels warm and wet.

Please let us know the title & where to get a copy if it's made available on DVD!  Congrats on the gig -- that's way cool and I'm sure you'll go over great!  :)

Written By: PRobinson on 05/17/05 at 3:20 pm

The dude who runs my state's Star Wars fan club has conned me into singing some of my Star Wars parody songs at the Episode III premiere (midnight screening) at Fox Studios in Sydney (where ep III was made). My brother is playing guitar.
I plan to put on Darth Maul makeup so nobody can recognise me. I'm scared stiff!

Are there any Aussies here who will be there? I'll be bringing some lyrics, and if any other parody enthusiasts can sing along I'll feel a lot better...

Not an Aussie, Steve (far from it - California...), but as one who has been in the same situation (I made my "debut" last October at the "Espresso Gardens" Coffee house in San Jose - Rick and Mari Duncan were kind enough to provide advice, encouragement and musical assistance and backing),  I can tell you that it's a fantastic experience!  What a RUSH!  Yes, I was NERVOUS...mouth dry (really helps your singing...), knees shaking, hands trembling (I was holding my parody lyrics in them...when you are better acquainted with the Original song lyrics it can be quite a test to be up there trying to remember what you changed them to).  And I recall starting a bit tentatively, but I could see the audience was smiling...and then laughing when I hit a good line...and I really got into it...I don't think I sang particularly well...but, HEY...it's a PARODY...nobody is expecting  freaking Pavorotti...(a good thing, too)...

SO - have a blast!  Enjoy it - I performed again a week later while I was still up in the area...and I hope to go up that way again later this summer and do it again...

Good Luck!

Paul R.

Written By: Gonfunko on 05/17/05 at 5:54 pm

Congratulations - you'll enjoy it.  :) Don't worry too much - it's always worse waiting than when you're actually performing. Just be sure to practice a LOT.  ;) I'm sorta speaking from experience, having been in the school talent show both this year and last year doing 2 of my parodies - believe me, if the official geekerd can get through it, you'll have no problem!

Written By: SteveCav on 05/17/05 at 7:20 pm

Thanks guys. Because of nitpicking with the theater I'll now either just be playing for those hanging around me in the line (which is much less stressful), or for the entire packed theater once we go in (much more).

I won't even find out until tonight! And I'm all sniffly with a cold! :-\\

Ah well, no matter what happens the movie will be lots of fun  :D

Written By: Scathe on 05/17/05 at 8:57 pm

Good luck Steven, and make sure to enjoy every second of the premiere whether you're performing your spoofs or watching the film.  :)

Written By: jreuben on 05/18/05 at 11:42 am

Good luck!  Actually, if it was last night, hope it went well!

Written By: SteveCav on 05/18/05 at 8:09 pm

We got there late and only did about 4 songs. Groups of people clustered around us at different points, and we got interviewed by a radio station (we did Y.O.D.A for them).
It was a lot of fun. The movie is awesome.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/18/05 at 11:26 pm

We got there late and only did about 4 songs. Groups of people clustered around us at different points, and we got interviewed by a radio station (we did Y.O.D.A for them).

Argh! Don't spoil it, don't spoil it!
I had to do front of house for the uni play, and guess where the freaking producer went while I filled in?
Sounds like you had a great time. Which radio station interviewed you?

Written By: SteveCav on 05/19/05 at 6:08 pm

Argh! Don't spoil it, don't spoil it!
Sounds like you had a great time. Which radio station interviewed you?

A uni one. I think it was SURG.

Written By: PRobinson on 05/20/05 at 1:48 pm

Told ya' - a blast, right?  Bet ya' can't wait to do it again, now...addictive...

pr

Check for new replies or respond here...