inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: For Stu McArthur ( you were right )

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 1:10 am

Okay, you were right. I have relaxed my " pacing exceptions/rules " a bit.

Note: I still do not dock people for misspelled words/wrong decade/original artist or who wrote the parody.

Now for pacing :

5: " Lots " or " Nearly perfect/Perfect ".

4: Enough problems to not warrant a 5 but still VERY good.

3: This would indicate "average", but to me means there are countless mistakes in here, such as incompleteness, bad rhyming to TOS ( or in the parody ), numerous syllable under/overcounts per line, and for me personally means I cannot SING the parodied words over TOS while it is playing ( which is now how I try to make parodies and rate them on pacing ). I SELDOMLY give out 3s on pacing.

2: You have butchered the heck out of TOS to the point of near unrecognition. Usually if most of what I listed in a "3" for pacing is in the parody you will get a 2. I have only given a 2 on pacing maybe 3 times out of 1000+ parodies.

1: I forgot that ONE time I did give a "1" for pacing, but if you ever get a 1 from me on pacing you have mutilated a song so badly that the original artist(s) would be rolling over in their grave(s) or die if they ever saw what you did to TOS. You would have to screw up beyond horrible ( WAY beyond ) for a parody to get a 1 for pacing from me

When I 5 vote pacing, I leave a short comment.

If I give you a 4 I usually write about 50 words or so explaining where you went wrong ( IMO ).

A 3 is probably 100 words.

As for 2 and 1 on pacing, I haven't seen one in a LONG time, but if I know TOS and happen to see a " terribly paced parody " I probably will simply ask you if you even know TOS or were reading lyrics from a sheet ( and more than likely not vote it ).

I haven't seen a parody in a while that deserves a 2 or 1 on pacing, though I have given roughly 5 3s in the last month or so.

I do not argue " funny " AT ALL because eveyone is different on that.

I still have a few " rules " though. If I cannot sing the parody over TOS with relative ease, I may mark you down a point. Also " completeness " is part of  pacing for me, so you may do an outstanding job on half the song but if only half is there I will give you a 3 ( and mention that it is good but incomplete ) and:

The song " A Horse With No Name " automatically gets a 555 from me because I detest TOS and no parody could be worse. ;D ( so anyone who wishes to improve their overall score just submit a parody of this song and I will 555 it unless it is grossly unfunny ).

By the way, ALL feedback on pacing from anyone on why I got less than a 5 on pacing is GREATLY APPRECIATED as the people who explained their votes on that have helped my improve my parodies IMMENSELY ( for the most part, I still screw up a bit on pacing ).

EDIT: Everybody on www.amiright.com has their " guilty pleasures ". I have seen Anti- Bush parodies and "poop parodies" get 555d ( or 111d ), regardless of everything. I have also seen a parody slamming another persons favorite band that got a 511 and the parodist pointed out the " guilty pleasure " there and didn't hold it against them.

I also do not " hold over " a " bad " parody from one to the next from the same person.

I also *usually* average pacing/funny for overall, but there are times when I do not. An example may be a " difficult " ( which isn't a category ) OS that has bad pacing or rhyming, but I tend to be more forgiving on those on pacing and overall.

Is that better now?

Subject: Re: For Stu McArthur ( you were right )

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/08/05 at 3:33 am

no worries, Red Ant - I can't be anything other than impressed with your conscientious approach to a process that I only spend an instant on - so all credit to you

I'm glad my arguments made sense to you, let alone influenced you - so of course I'm happy with the outcome

I don't argue with the intention of changing you (ie arrogantly) - just with the intention of presenting an alternate worthy viewpoint for you to consider.

You're abviously open-minded and flexible enough to accomodate other viewpoints, and I respect you for it  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/08/05 at 5:41 pm

no worries, Red Ant - I can't be anything other than impressed with your conscientious approach to a process that I only spend an instant on - so all credit to you

I'm glad my arguments made sense to you, let alone influenced you - so of course I'm happy with the outcome

I don't argue with the intention of changing you (ie arrogantly) - just with the intention of presenting an alternate worthy viewpoint for you to consider.

You're abviously open-minded and flexible enough to accomodate other viewpoints, and I respect you for it  :)

To address each line seperately:

Thank you. I try to spend time on all votes because the same has usually been done with me by other people ( thusly improving my work ).

I'm a sensible person ( usually ). I guess I'm guilty of being under your influence. :)

Not arrogant at all. Just stating your view on the inital thread. Your viewpoint is valid.

Yes, I am open minded. Closed minds are for the weak. I'm flexible, but not a contortionist.  ;D Thank you for the respect ( sincerely ).

PS and EDIT: When are you going to make a parody of " A Horse With No Name " ? I even gave GH IV a 555 on his. THAT'S how much I detest that song.  ;D ;D

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/10/05 at 7:56 am

PS and EDIT: When are you going to make a parody of " A Horse With No Name " ? I even gave GH IV a 555 on his. THAT'S how much I detest that song.  ;D ;D

hmm, tempting, knowing there's an automatic 555 out there - "Of Course it's a Game" - "Hate sauce that's 'no-name' " - "Outlaws are to blame" - nuh!

Check for new replies or respond here...