inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chucky G can you check on unfair ratings?

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/05 at 8:18 am

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/cranberries1.shtml

Somebody(ies) really has it in for me. >:( :(

Subject: Re: Chucky G can you check on unfair ratings?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 05/10/05 at 6:53 pm

Somebody(ies) really has it in for me. >:( :(

I wrote this to cheer you up Agri - and I even dedicated it to you and your persecuted "Dummy"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/villagepeople34.shtml

:) :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/10/05 at 7:45 pm

While you're at it, Chucky, the same lamewad has been failing to give me 5s on all of my parodies for a long time:
You know you want to...

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/12/05 at 8:56 am

Yeah, somebody keeps doing this to me as well. I'll have a number of people giving me all fives and, one jerk has to throw all ones into the mix. I can understand that their sense of humor may differ from mine and, that of the others but; to give me a one for pacing, when I know the pacing is dead on, is just plain wrong. I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I read almost every parody, every day. If I don't know the OS, I usually don't vote. If I think the parody is horrible, again, I don't vote. I just move on to the next one. If I think a parody is funny but, the pacing is off, I will rate it accordingly.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/12/05 at 9:19 am

Yeah, somebody keeps doing this to me as well. I'll have a number of people giving me all fives and, one jerk has to throw all ones into the mix. I can understand that their sense of humor may differ from mine and, that of the others but; to give me a one for pacing, when I know the pacing is dead on, is just plain wrong. I wouldn't do that to anyone else. I read almost every parody, every day. If I don't know the OS, I usually don't vote. If I think the parody is horrible, again, I don't vote. I just move on to the next one. If I think a parody is funny but, the pacing is off, I will rate it accordingly.

It's good to see you've got integrity, Rick...unfortunately, the ones guys have none. This has been an ongoing hot topic since I joined over a year ago; everyone has been spiked with ones from these morons, which in a way is reassuring, knowing that they usually don't target one person in particular (However, Agri seems to be getting a hard time). It's easy to say "ignore them", but it is disconcerting to have your hard work childishly rubbished. As everyone says, it's really the comments, not the votes, that count...and the ones guys obviously don't have the mental acuity to string a sentence together. ;)
You watch...I'm bound to get spiked today....

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/12/05 at 12:04 pm

It should be noted, Rick C.,  that although this has been an on-going thing, this particular song was specifically targeted after I had placed it in the D ABC Round, garnering TWICE it's 1s pile over the course of 2 weeks. This was blatant harassment as opposed to rudeness.

Written By: jreuben on 05/12/05 at 12:14 pm

It's good to see you've got integrity, Rick...unfortunately, the ones guys have none. This has been an ongoing hot topic since I joined over a year ago; everyone has been spiked with ones from these morons, which in a way is reassuring, knowing that they usually don't target one person in particular (However, Agri seems to be getting a hard time). It's easy to say "ignore them", but it is disconcerting to have your hard work childishly rubbished. As everyone says, it's really the comments, not the votes, that count...and the ones guys obviously don't have the mental acuity to string a sentence together. ;)
You watch...I'm bound to get spiked today....

It actually used to be much worse.  Back when the top 10 lists were on the front page, songs would get 1'd to knock them out.  If you look at any of the really old songs, they'll have tons of them.

Luke, LOL.

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/12/05 at 12:39 pm

Agrimorfee, as one of the commentors mentioned, your parody does appear to describe the ones guy to a tee. Maybe that's why they targeted that particular parody. I guess I'll stop whining now. At least they're only doing it once in a while to me. Kristof is right about the comments, rather than the votes though. It's been very encouraging to me, as a newbie, to have established authors, like yourself and Kristof critique my work.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/13/05 at 7:25 am

Hey guys, you have to PM or E-mail these kinds of requests to Chucky.  He doesn't always catch them when we post them to the board and he almost never catches them when we post them to the comments of a parody.

Written By: A. Guest on 05/13/05 at 10:22 am

Since Chucky erased all the Ones Guy votes from the "Dummy" parody as mentioned above, I think he should do that for some of Will Tong's parodies as well. Too many ignorant people are sabotaging the ratings of Will Tong's paroides, which I think is totally unfair.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/13/05 at 12:43 pm

I'm not going to begin removing all the one votes on the site...  I only did this one because it was clearly a repeat offender.

Written By: Observer on 05/13/05 at 8:14 pm

Do you really think that William Tong or anyone else who writes similar quality cares about this?

Written By: The Flying Dutchman on 05/14/05 at 12:12 am

Chucky, please remove, from all song parodies on www.amiright.com, all votes of 1,2,3, and 4, and please replace all of those votes with votes of 5.  Thank you.

Written By: A. Guest on 04/20/06 at 11:39 am

I'm not going to begin removing all the one votes on the site...  I only did this one because it was clearly a repeat offender.

Well, I'm sure there are repeat offenders who have been unfairly oneing Bill Tong's parodies. Maybe if a certain parody had 28 triple one votes, like the first one mentioned in here just did (a year or so ago), then that might be reason to yank out immoral votes. But just on one parody.

Written By: Some guest on 05/16/08 at 10:17 am

Chuck,

A bombardment of 111's has been found on this parody and this one, too. (click the links to get to the paroides so you'll know which ones I'm talking about) I happen to know that both of these parodies are perfectly paced, yet some stupid trolls (who might be the same offender on each of the respective parodeis) keep hitting them up with 1's. I know you yanked out a series of 1's from the parody listed at the beginning of this thread

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/cranberries1.shtml

so if you could remove the unfair ratings from the two I linked to, that would be helpful. I'm sick of unfair low votes, especially when the pacing is spot on. If a person doesn't agree with the parody's content, that's one thing, but they should at least have respect for the pacing.

Written By: Max Power on 05/17/08 at 5:59 pm

Chucky, please remove, from all song parodies on www.amiright.com, all votes of 1,2,3, and 4, and please replace all of those votes with votes of 5.  Thank you.

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, that's a tall order.

Sarcasm is more likely.

Written By: Guest on 04/02/09 at 2:17 pm

Admins, it seems like this parody has had a bombardment of unfair 1-bomb votes too:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/theshirelles12.shtml

If you could yank all the triple-ones outta there, that'd be great. Thank you

Written By: Guest on 04/02/09 at 2:19 pm

Admins, it seems like this parody has had a bombardment of unfair 1-bomb votes too:

I might want to add: There were a whopping 30 uno-bombs on it. Was it all the same troll, or was it a series of different folks?

Written By: Below Average Dave on 04/02/09 at 4:21 pm

I might want to add: There were a whopping 30 uno-bombs on it. Was it all the same troll, or was it a series of different folks?

Same troll, it always is when that many are done without commentary from at least some of them. . .

Written By: Jason on 04/02/09 at 4:21 pm

If a number of people are saying comments are much more valuable than voting, perhaps the best way to end all this controversy over 1-votes is to remove the voting system altogether. Unfortunatly no matter how much people are going to complain, the matter is never going to go away.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 04/02/09 at 4:27 pm

If a number of people are saying comments are much more valuable than voting, perhaps the best way to end all this controversy over 1-votes is to remove the voting system altogether. Unfortunatly no matter how much people are going to complain, the matter is never going to go away.

I've never really paid attention to the voting system, in fact, most of my top parodies are the ones that really get bombed, the one controversy actually seems to help parodies, but I personally wouldn't even notice if it was gone, I guess for some the voting is really important, and for that reason it kind of has to stay around, but I myself wouldn't mind if it was comments only one bit.

Written By: Jason on 04/02/09 at 5:01 pm

I've never really paid attention to the voting system, in fact, most of my top parodies are the ones that really get bombed, the one controversy actually seems to help parodies, but I personally wouldn't even notice if it was gone, I guess for some the voting is really important, and for that reason it kind of has to stay around, but I myself wouldn't mind if it was comments only one bit.

I think a good compromise (I know you have mentioned it a couple of times in comments) is to have the option to disable votes, in the same way that you can disable comments.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/02/09 at 6:49 pm

they're all from different IP addresses... look like someone probably posted it on some right-wing hate site to encourage a bombing run, or went through the effort of using proxy servers

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/02/09 at 6:52 pm

they're all from different IP addresses... look like someone probably posted it on some right-wing hate site to encourage a bombing run, or went through the effort of using proxy servers

I checked a few... I doubt very much someone in the Fiji Islands is bothering to vote on left-wing US political parodies, so I'll remove all of the one votes

Written By: Anonymous informant on 04/16/09 at 5:28 pm

I checked a few... I doubt very much someone in the Fiji Islands is bothering to vote on left-wing US political parodies, so I'll remove all of the one votes

hate to bug you again, but it seems another parody has an unfair bombardment of 1-votes:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/paulmccartneywings13.shtml

The voting results indicated there were 20 votes in each category for "1". That's way too much. I'm thinking another troll might've been attacking it. Chuck, could you please yank the 1-bombs out of there too? That'd be helpful. Thanks.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/16/09 at 10:13 pm

Does this ever happen like that on the left bashing parodies?

Written By: Max Power on 04/17/09 at 2:36 pm

Does this ever happen like that on the left bashing parodies?

Happens for both sides. I get uno-bombed regardless

I'm preparing for the worse regarding my anti-L.Mixon parody (the cop-killer)

Afterwards I'm going to write one about weeaboo, hope you won't take this one personally  ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 04/17/09 at 9:06 pm

Happens for both sides. I get uno-bombed regardless

I'm preparing for the worse regarding my anti-L.Mixon parody (the cop-killer)

Afterwards I'm going to write one about weeaboo, hope you won't take this one personally  ;D

It becomes more obvious when you see 20 0r more 111s that they're using multiple proxies. Especially since they have to now(you didn't have to before and could inflate your own vote).

As for the weeabo thing:

I won't. Weeabo, which started on 4chan(I think, because they weren't allowed to use the original word), is used to describe someone who wishes they were/trying to act Japanese. Also used on anime fans, of course, regardless if they are the wannabe types or not.

I don't fall into the wannabe crowd myself, although I have used Japanese words, but that's only when I'm playing around abit(since it doesn't prove anything to me).

Is it going to go to "Pretty fly for a white guy"? :D I kinda had an idea about the wannabes in the anime crowd and that song came to mind.

Written By: Max Power on 04/17/09 at 9:25 pm

It becomes more obvious when you see 20 0r more 111s that they're using multiple proxies. Especially since they have to now(you didn't have to before and could inflate your own vote).

As for the weeabo thing:

I won't. Weeabo, which started on 4chan(I think, because they weren't allowed to use the original word), is used to describe someone who wishes they were/trying to act Japanese. Also used on anime fans, of course, regardless if they are the wannabe types or not.

I don't fall into the wannabe crowd myself, although I have used Japanese words, but that's only when I'm playing around abit(since it doesn't prove anything to me).

Is it going to go to "Pretty fly for a white guy"? :D I kinda had an idea about the wannabes in the anime crowd and that song came to mind.

I'm going for "Just a gigolo", Village People's version should work well on this

I'm a fan of anime as well, just not going to get too carried away like some people (not counting some stories I've written on my newgrounds profile)  ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 04/17/09 at 10:50 pm

Never heard of that song, Village People did a version, who did the original?

I'll keep an eye out and look the song up when I see your parody.

I feel I'm a higher level than that of the casual fan, I save anime images ranging from "clean and innocent" to "OMG, you're into that?", but I'm still a lower level than that of the most hardcore fans.

I have several cat-girl/animal girl ideas right now, ranging from a song on Homestar Runner's site to one from Stephen Lynch. Have a cosplay theme that will go to a Nirvana song. And a few Dragon Quest parody ideas, including one to Informer(that one is going to be hard) and a couple of Pokemon ideas(one to Kenny and Cleo by The Black Market Flowers and the other from The Bloodhound Gang). I haven't, however, been in a much of a mood to write them.

Check for new replies or respond here...