inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2nd Annual NYC area parody authors get-together?

Written By: EthanM on 05/11/05 at 4:21 pm

i'm going to be moving back to the area in a couple of days so any weekend this summer is probably good for me. I'll have to know what I'm doing before  know for sure, but I figured I'd make the proposal as soon as possible to it actually happens reassonably soon with as many people coming as possible.

Subject: Re: 2nd Annual NYC area parody authors get-together?

Written By: jreuben on 05/12/05 at 7:05 am

i'm going to be moving back to the area in a couple of days so any weekend this summer is probably good for me. I'll have to know what I'm doing before  know for sure, but I figured I'd make the proposal as soon as possible to it actually happens reassonably soon with as many people coming as possible.

I'd do my best to make it up this year.  The only weekend that would be bad for me would be June 24-26 (I'll be out of town, and even further from NYC than usual).

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/12/05 at 9:22 am

I can't wait!!....what?....New York's in AMERICA?....damn  :D

Written By: bobbypags on 05/12/05 at 9:58 am

Well if Mr. Robertson isn't making the trip from the Outback, I don't know if I want to make the trip from 53rd St. 
Ethan, how is Poughkeepsie?  Why don't we try to make it on a day that Jeff can come up from Bal'mor?  Perhaps he could pick up Mr. Pacholek on the way?  I'm here, so name the bar and I'll be on a stool.
Later
bob

Written By: EthanM on 05/12/05 at 11:07 am

That's closer to massachusetts than it is to me. so everyone would probably need to have a place to sleeep at night because its too far to go back the same day.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/12/05 at 11:38 am

I live in Manhattan, so I'd definatley show up, provided it isn't at a bar or a strip club or some other unwholesome place that a Fake-IDless 18 year old would have trouble getting into.

Written By: 2nz on 05/16/05 at 12:46 pm

So when's this happening compadres? I have nearly nothing to do on weekends and my current working hours make Friday kind of a pain but I could take off the day we do this so long as we get a plan at least several weeks in advance. Ethan has an idea about an open-mic place we could crash at, but someone should still go and case the place to make sure it has everything we authors needs to get down with our mad selves. Ethan, get me the address of the place and I'll check it out the next time I'm in the city, which should be before May ends.

Now to business: What night during the weekend (Friday or Saturday) works for everyone. Post here whether you'd like to meet up on a Friday or a Saturday night. If both work (as in my case) feel free to say so. And if you think there's a better day of the week to do this then by all means voice why. Once we nail a day of the week down, we just need to pick one enough in advance that everyone who wants to show up can show up. Let's get planning people.

Written By: Arwen on 05/16/05 at 1:19 pm

I want to see the pictures from last year's again... :)

Written By: jreuben on 05/16/05 at 1:21 pm

So when's this happening compadres? I have nearly nothing to do on weekends and my current working hours make Friday kind of a pain but I could take off the day we do this so long as we get a plan at least several weeks in advance. Ethan has an idea about an open-mic place we could crash at, but someone should still go and case the place to make sure it has everything we authors needs to get down with our mad selves. Ethan, get me the address of the place and I'll check it out the next time I'm in the city, which should be before May ends.

Now to business: What night during the weekend (Friday or Saturday) works for everyone. Post here whether you'd like to meet up on a Friday or a Saturday night. If both work (as in my case) feel free to say so. And if you think there's a better day of the week to do this then by all means voice why. Once we nail a day of the week down, we just need to pick one enough in advance that everyone who wants to show up can show up. Let's get planning people.

Saturday would probably work best for me.

-Jeff

Written By: EthanM on 05/16/05 at 3:27 pm

This is the place i was thinking of. It has open mics on saturday which are free and are mostly music but some comedy, which sounds perfect:

* The Orange Bear - 47 Murray St NYC (914) 566-3705

The director's address is amtguitar@aol.com

Written By: bobbypags on 05/17/05 at 9:25 am

My guess is that the area code is probably (212) - Ethan, me thinks that you may have been spending too much time up in that 914-Poughkeepsie area.

Written By: EthanM on 05/17/05 at 9:54 am

this is the right number: (212) 566-3705... i don't know where they got 914 from on the other site. 47 murray street is the right address

Subject: It's goin' down on 7/23/05

Written By: 2nz on 06/17/05 at 11:29 am

BUMP! Ok, so Saturday then? Which Saturday then? Hows about:

7/23/05

Yeah, let's run with Saturday, 7/23 as our second annual NYC get-together date. The meeting place is still up for review/debate, and if enough people would like to come but have no way of making it on that day, we'll negotiate another Saturday. But right now: 7/23/05.

Ok, I think the plan is to meet, converse and have dinner, and then if the open-mic place checks out, perform/sing some parodies. I think in that case each author who comes should bring at least one parody with them that they would enjoy singing, with back-up vocals from myself and the other authors if necessary.

More information to come shortly. Any questions so far?

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/05 at 2:13 pm

cool to see you putting together another one.  Shame I can't make it again this year, (too close to the expected date for the baby, last year it was too close to the wedding date, >sigh<)  Not that I sing or anything, moral support you know.

anyways, if you decide on everything, set a concrete date, start a new thread with all the important info in it, and I'll sticky it and post it to the front page of amiright.  I of course would be more than happy to do that if anyone else does an amiright get together too (not just the New York folks).

Written By: EthanM on 06/17/05 at 2:35 pm

That's practically my birthday... and I don't have any plans for then so tthat would be good for me

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/17/05 at 3:03 pm

is there a list of who went the last time?  just curious, and too lazy to search for the answer

Written By: EthanM on 06/17/05 at 4:02 pm

me, 2nz, billy florio and his friend keith, and bob pagliaro.

Written By: Billy Florio on 06/17/05 at 4:03 pm

me, 2nz, billy florio and his friend keith, and bob pagliaro.

Keith Kamer....who also wrote some parodies with myself

Written By: 2nz on 06/23/05 at 6:27 pm

I'll be in the city this coming Tuesday to sign up for and then take a class at NYU. I don't yet completely know how that's gonna work out, but while I'm in the city I will check out the place that Ethan suggested we meet earlier on in this thread. There are several reasons I prefer to check it out: 1) It exists and has hours then 2) What it's policy is toward under-21 entrance so I can come back and spell it out here for everyone 3) To try and annoy the owner into giving us a discount (usually doesn't work). I'll report back after Tuesday all.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/05/05 at 11:14 am

Well?  You know, we could always meet for dinner in little Italy.  Rocky's has great food and is pretty inexpensive.

Subject: Re: It's goin' down on 7/23/05

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 12:15 pm

7/23/05

I think in that case each author who comes should bring at least one parody with them that they would enjoy singing, with back-up vocals from myself and the other authors if necessary.

And I think that each author who is planning to come should make a donation to the "Fly Arwen Out To The Freaking Get Together Fund." 

Come ON...you know you want me to come.

Bastards. >:(

It's okay...I'll actually be back in California on the 23rd of July.  And I swear that I'll be thinking of all of you while I'm celebrating Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.

Bastards.

Written By: olaf on 07/05/05 at 1:23 pm

Oh-oh, Super Arwen say bathturd! :o
That is bad word! :-[
That is not happy!  :(

Written By: Arwen on 07/05/05 at 11:52 pm

Oh-oh, Super Arwen say bathturd! :o
That is bad word! :-[
That is not happy!  :(

And yet...you still love me.  Weird how that happens, huh?

Written By: 2nz on 07/06/05 at 3:12 pm

Well?  You know, we could always meet for dinner in little Italy.  Rocky's has great food and is pretty inexpensive.

I checked out where Ethan suggested and it doesn't seem to be in working order any more. I found a place down the street from there, but they only have open-mike on Sundays and that would change the date we'd meet. I'm all in favor of just getting together at restaurant to shoot the breeze. It worked pretty well the last time around. Also I should have posted this 6 days ago when I knew about it but I'm running around like crazy now during the week, working and going to school. So unless someone has a better idea, I say we choose a restaurant or restaurant/bar (Rocky's sounds fine, and the last place we went to wasn't too shabby either) throw up some directions and notify CHucky so he can post it on the front page.

Bob, you seem to know the restaurant situation in the city better than anyone else who posts here. So if it's all the same to you, would you mind being the official 'Place to meet' picker-guy? Just name a place you know is open and could accomodate at least as many people as showed up last time. If you could post some simple directions I'd appreciate it, but if not then I'll do my best to throw some simple ones up from the most used arrival places in NYC. Let me know, man. It's two-and-a-half weeks until this thing is supposed to go down and we need to pick a place so people can prepare their travel plans.

And I think that each author who is planning to come should make a donation to the "Fly Arwen Out To The Freaking Get Together Fund." 

Come ON...you know you want me to come.

Bastards. >:(

It's okay...I'll actually be back in California on the 23rd of July.  And I swear that I'll be thinking of all of you while I'm celebrating Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.

Bastards.

If you can get out here, I'd be happy to start the 'All Your Meals Are On Me/Us, You Sexy Elf, You... Fund'. But otherwise know that you're always right (in that you'll be missed), and have good times celebrating.

And take the initiative to get your anus out here next time, bastard.

And that or a similar meal fund can be enacted for anyone who goes out of their way to get here and meet all of us New Yorkers. Remember that when deciding your plans for 7/23 all you who are considering.

Written By: Arwen on 07/06/05 at 4:13 pm

If you can get out here, I'd be happy to start the 'All Your Meals Are On Me/Us, You Sexy Elf, You... Fund'. But otherwise know that you're always right (in that you'll be missed), and have good times celebrating.

And take the initiative to get your anus out here next time, bastard.

Next time being summer of 2006?  Or would you consider a bi-annual meeting if I was a good girl and starting saving my pennies right now...?

(and don't worry...I wouldn't expect my meals to be on you, 2nz...well...it might depend on what kind of meal we're talking about... ;))

Written By: bobbypags on 07/06/05 at 4:22 pm

Now see, had I known Arwen was female from the start, we would have flown her out here (that being said, she better be of age or I'm in trouble.)

Yes, Glenn, I can do that.  We might want to end up meeting at the same place as last year - it's easily accessible via subway from Port Authority, Grand Central and Penn Station.  Besides, nothing beats a margarita on a hot as hell NYC day.  I have no problem hitting a restaurant after everyone arrives - in fact, Rocky's is within 10 blocks of Caliente Cab Company - walking distance.

I'll await some feedback before making the choice - hell, I live here, I really don't care where we meet.  (The dog will not be able to make it again this year.)
Later,
bob

Written By: Arwen on 07/06/05 at 4:29 pm

Now see, had I known Arwen was female from the start, we would have flown her out here (that being said, she better be of age or I'm in trouble.)

:)

Written By: EthanM on 07/06/05 at 4:47 pm

i was supposed to check out another place that i know has an oopen mic for sure, but i didn't get in because i forgot bring my ID. It might still be ok as long as no one gets lost walking back alone, but it might be some trouble coordinating a 7pm sign-up with dinner. So i guess we should figure out when we would like to meet for dinner if we will be doing that.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/06/05 at 5:03 pm

I think we should let Arwen decide.

Hey, really, I don't care - you guys make the decision on what you want to do and if it requires my posting directions, I will.  I don't have a problem going to an open mic night, but I'm not going to perform - I'll drink.

Open for suggestions.
Later
bob

Written By: Arwen on 07/06/05 at 5:22 pm

I think we should let Arwen decide.

Hee!  I will pick next time... :)

Written By: bobbypags on 07/06/05 at 5:27 pm

No, no, that's not how it works.  Besides, Kimba T. Dogg will make an appearance if Arwen picks the place.  "Hee" isn't really how you laugh, is it?

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 12:12 am

No, no, that's not how it works.  Besides, Kimba T. Dogg will make an appearance if Arwen picks the place.  "Hee" isn't really how you laugh, is it?

I'm afraid Mr. Dogg will have to sit this one out then...I already said I'm going to be at Disneyland that day... :(  I can't pick a place for you all to meet when I'm not going to be there...not to mention the fact that I've never even been to NYC, and I don't know what the hell I'd be talking about.

So...that said, if you don't meet at Caliente Cab Company...and then on to Rocky's, I'm never going to speak to any of you again.

(And finally...I'm The Divine Goddess of the Brave New World, I can laugh however I want to.  ;)  I do not, however, simply go "Hee!"  Nice guess.  My real laugh...I'm just not sure how to spell it, to be honest...but it's quite endearing, or so I've been told.  :))

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 9:20 am

Hey, my dog is a female - don't got changing the sex on her now - she's better looking than some women I've dated.  Disneyland?  I thought that was now 42nd st in NYC.
That's it, Arwen's not coming next year either.

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 10:18 am

That's it, Arwen's not coming next year either.

HA!  2nz says I can come any time I want to... >:(

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 10:21 am

No he didn't.  Besides, I'm the bubble man and I make all the rules.

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 10:44 am

I refuse to follow the rules of ANYone who only realized yesterday that I am a girl.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 10:59 am

Hey, I really never thought about it until I saw that you were.  Besides, you're not a girl - aren't you a woman?

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 11:02 am

Besides, you're not a girl - aren't you a woman?

Technicality...

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 11:14 am

Not to the girls, er ah, women who I date.  Besides, you called my dog "Mister" - she's going to be very upset with you.

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 12:15 pm

Not to the girls, er ah, women who I date.  Besides, you called my dog "Mister" - she's going to be very upset with you.

Doubtful...since apparently we're never going to meet.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 1:07 pm

Well, I'm going to have to tell her.  But you're right, you and Kimba won't meet because we're not allowing you in the city after this year's snub.  You'd rather be at Disneyland than see us?  You're probably going to Knott's Berry Farm right after that, right?  Do you also leave baseball games in the 7th inning to beat the traffic?

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 2:22 pm

Well, I'm going to have to tell her.  But you're right, you and Kimba won't meet because we're not allowing you in the city after this year's snub.  You'd rather be at Disneyland than see us?  You're probably going to Knott's Berry Farm right after that, right?  Do you also leave baseball games in the 7th inning to beat the traffic?

It's not a matter of preferring Disneyland to seeing you...it's just that you all won't get your sorry asses out to California where I'm going to be.  Because you are all bastards.

Knott's Berry Farm is against my religion. 

And I don't go to ANY sporting event without the intent to stay until the bitter end.  I even watch movie credits...I'm in most things for the long haul.

Written By: PRobinson on 07/07/05 at 2:50 pm

It's not a matter of preferring Disneyland to seeing you...it's just that you all won't get your sorry masses out to California where I'm going to be.  Because you are all bastards.

Knott's Berry Farm is against my religion. 

And I don't go to ANY sporting event without the intent to stay until the bitter end.  I even watch movie credits...I'm in most things for the long haul.

Well, I can't help it, I just have to horn in here with this...I'm planning a trek up to Northern California this year with a stop at the Espresso Gardens Cafe in San Jose on Thursday, August 11th and then again on the way back down South on Thursday, August 18th...Why am I posting it in the "New York" get-together thread?  Oh...'cause you've got Arwen over here talking about being in California...Don't suppose you will be out here in mid-August, eh?  I'm gonna send Rick & Mari Duncan a separate note to make sure they will be available on those dates since I would be up sh*t creek without the proverbial paddle if they aren't (I don't play an instrument, unless you count the kazoo they loaned me last time...boy was THAT hysterical sounding...) Really looking forward to performing again...whatta ham...

OK...we now return control of the "New York Parody Authors get-together thread" to the NY people...thanks for your indulgence ~ ~ ~

pr  8)

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 3:08 pm

Thank you Paul.

See Arwen, here are just a few reasons why the New York Bastards won't go to California:

1) You can't get a rare hamburger out there - it's against the law
2)  Ah-Nold is your governor
3)  Reagan was your governor
4)  Ah-Hold Is your governor
5)  Nixon was your Senator
6)  It's not New York City
7)  Your on the cusp of becoming a red state

Signed,
A New York Bastard

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 3:09 pm

Sorry, the last line should start "you are".  (I'm so upset about the unjust jailing of Judith Miller that I'm not thinking correctly).

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 3:44 pm

Paul...sorry dude...I'll only be in Cali for 6 days at the end of July...have fun without me, though!

Bobby...I AM NOT A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, dingaling!  I will be there on vacation.  And here I thought everyone around these parts knew the basics like that about me... :)

Therefore, in response to your little rant...

1)  You shouldn't preach to a Wyoming girl about how beef should be cooked...this is cattle country...beef is what's for dinner.  Unless you're in my family...then wild game is what's for dinner.  But yes, I like my beef.
2)  Nope, Dave Freudenthal is...duh.
3)  Uh uh...
4)  Again with the #2 answer
5)  Negative
6)  You got that right...
7)  If we were ever there at all, Wyoming passed the cusp AGES ago, Mister...Red is our State Color... ;)

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 4:00 pm

Wyoming - now that's somewhere between New York and California, right? So you're responsible for Dick Cheney?
Do you think I'm Kreskin?  How the hell was I supposed to know you are only visiting California?
Red frightens me.

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 4:23 pm

How the hell was I supposed to know you are only visiting California?

Because everyone on the site, who loves me dearly, (and that's everyone, really  ;)) knows that I live in Wyoming.  Haven't you read all Arwen tribute parodies on the site?  And Mr. Pacholek's already given me enough grief about the Cheney connection, thank you very much.

Would you like to sign up for Arwen 101...because it seems to be a prerequisite for this conversation...

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 4:42 pm

Ah, that Mr. Pacholek is a bright man (even though he's from New Jersey and is a Yankee fan).  No, can't say that I've read any Arwen tributes on the site.  Do such animals exist?
Arwen 101, hmm - well, I'm a bit bored at the moment - waiting for dinner to arrive.  Don't know why it should be a pre-requiste for the conversastion though.  Is there an excellerated class?  And, there isn't a test, is there? 

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 5:05 pm

And, there isn't a test, is there? 

Of course there is...and you should know that 80% of your final grade is based on flattering parodies and/or comments about me on the main site...2nz and Mr. Pacholek are at the head of the class, for sure... :)

Written By: bobbypags on 07/07/05 at 5:15 pm

Well, I certainly don't want to compete with Glen or Michael for a seat.  Besides, I don't write that well so I'd never be able to produce flattering parodies and I'm not a good ass- kisser, so I'm not sure that I could come up with appropriate compliments for you.

Written By: Arwen on 07/07/05 at 8:08 pm

Just get on the main site and take some notes...there are several folks over there who would be marvelous tutors...Jeff, Kristof, Luke, alvin, Rick C, Johnny D, K1, John J...oh hell...how could I honestly name them all?  Bottom line is that Leo is the only one who is mean to me...and that is because he's jealous of my skills... ;)

Written By: bobbypags on 07/08/05 at 9:38 am

But Leo suggested a good idea for a parody that my dog ended up writing - he can't be that bad.
I think I'll pass on the tutoring and note taking, but thanks anyway.

Written By: EthanM on 07/08/05 at 9:52 am

back to scheduling: when would everyone want to have dinner? Jus throw out when you can make it/what is ideal and we can go from there.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/08/05 at 10:09 am

Is this on a Saturday?  Anytime - I'm the closest (I think) so whatever everyone else wants to do is fine with me.
bob

Written By: karen on 07/08/05 at 10:19 am

7/23/05

Yeah, let's run with Saturday, 7/23 as our second annual NYC get-together date. The meeting place is still up for review/debate, and if enough people would like to come but have no way of making it on that day, we'll negotiate another Saturday. But right now: 7/23/05.

More information to come shortly. Any questions so far?

Is this on a Saturday? Anytime - I'm the closest (I think) so whatever everyone else wants to do is fine with me.
bob

looks like its on a Saturday to me

Written By: bobbypags on 07/08/05 at 10:28 am

Are you absolutely sure, Karen?  Could you check again?

Written By: karen on 07/11/05 at 7:28 am

Are you absolutely sure, Karen?  Could you check again?

Not sure which month the 23rd month of the year is though.  Is it Octember?

Written By: PRobinson on 07/11/05 at 1:43 pm

Just get on the main site and take some notes...there are several folks over there who would be marvelous tutors...Jeff, Kristof, Luke, alvin, Rick C, Johnny D, K1, John J...oh hell...how could I honestly name them all?  Bottom line is that Leo is the only one who is mean to me...and that is because he's jealous of my skills... ;)

I'd be jealous about not being mentioned, except you probably remembered the last time you referenced me in a note...("25 authors whose images should be worshipped on bended knee", or something like that...you got left out even though we began posting on the site within mere days of each other...as if I needed to remind you...lol...)I turned it into a self-promotional stunt...it actually wasn't in full bloom until a SECOND writer also used me in the same instance of comparison...I couldn't resist..

HAR~~~

PAR -   :D

Written By: Arwen on 07/11/05 at 3:13 pm

I'd be jealous about not being mentioned, except you probably remembered the last time you referenced me in a note...("25 authors whose images should be worshipped on bended knee", or something like that...you got left out even though we began posting on the site within mere days of each other...as if I needed to remind you...lol...)I turned it into a self-promotional stunt...it actually wasn't in full bloom until a SECOND writer also used me in the same instance of comparison...I couldn't resist..

HAR~~~

PAR -   :D

:P

Written By: Mistress Leola on 07/11/05 at 3:20 pm

I think you are confusing me with The Mistress.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/11/05 at 3:31 pm

Taking notes seems to high-maintenance for me.

Written By: Arwen on 07/11/05 at 5:32 pm

I think you are confusing me with The Mistress.

Oh of course you're right.  I am ALWAYS doing that...

Written By: bobbypags on 07/13/05 at 11:15 am

Ethan/2nz - what did you guys decide to do?  By the way, did everyone obtain fake ids?

Written By: EthanM on 07/13/05 at 12:42 pm

We haven't made a decision yet. And i don't need a fake ID... i have a real one.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/13/05 at 12:45 pm

Ethan, congratulations.  How's Poughkeepsie?
But we're still looking at July 23? - that's what Karen said anyway.

Written By: EthanM on 07/13/05 at 1:11 pm

I thought we agreed on NYC on the 23rd and had to go from there.

Written By: bobbypags on 07/13/05 at 2:28 pm

Ok, that's what Karen said.  I just don't want to be left out by you guys.

Check for new replies or respond here...