inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: parody writing and fiction writing abilty - is there a connection?

Written By: EthanM on 05/16/05 at 11:36 am

I think there is, even though I may be a bit biased about the topic. So what am I talking about? Well I believe that I mentioned here a couple of months ago that I wrote a book, but no one seemed to pay any attention to it. That's probably for the best, since I still had quite a bit of revising to do at the time regarding blatant typogrphical errors and other problems that made it a little harder to read than it should have been. But that's fixed now. After reading it, my mother described it as "a political satire with allusions to Dante'ss inferno that is sure to offend a lot of people." But probably not most people here because most people here have a sense of humor. In the spirit of Amiright, it contains a couple of parodies of new songs and a rewriting of "the road less traveled" by Robert Frost, but there shouldn't be the DKTOS problem that I  tend run into in amiright contests. It's hard to get exposure for a self-published book and the only real chance of success i have with no budget is if i get a few people who like it to recommend it to others. The link is www.lulu.com/content/109104 . I can't count the amount of hours that I've put into amiright... maybe somee of you can give a small investment to help me have a chance at success? 

Subject: Re: parody writing and fiction writing abilty - is there a connection?

Written By: tmayfield on 05/17/05 at 1:50 pm

My thought on the subject...

If Weird Al starts writing fiction, I ain't buying.

Written By: Josh2 on 05/18/05 at 2:36 pm

Well i've written quite alot of funny stuff in school whixch my teacher likes

n I've always had ideas about stories

n i lopve wriintg parodies wen i can

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/19/05 at 8:00 am

I have attempted fiction throughout my high school and college years. It's a craft that one has to really work hard at, on a daily basis, to do well. But I think there is definitely a connection bwtween good fiction writing and good parody writing here. I often comment/critique others' songs here as if I was critiquing fiction--looking for logic, consistency of "voice", and colorful word choices.

Written By: SteveCav on 05/19/05 at 6:11 pm

I agree. If you look at my teeny story at the end of this newsletter:

http://www.infinitas.com.au/Newsletters/InfinitasNewsletter2005March.pdf

It uses the same kinds of wordplay, puns and alliteration that we use in our parodies.

Written By: EthanM on 05/19/05 at 7:31 pm

The infinitas group looks like something i might consider joining if it wasn't halfway around the world

Written By: SteveCav on 05/19/05 at 9:17 pm

Ethan, try www.writerbuddy.com. It's a very useful online writing community.

Written By: EthanM on 05/19/05 at 9:45 pm

That looks interesting. Thanks

Check for new replies or respond here...