inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Playing around with organizing parody indexes by performer instead of decade

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/23/05 at 1:48 pm

Of course all the people who picked stupid Avril Lavigne songs, who can't spell worth a damn, have helped to create an index with a situation like this:

Averil Lavigne
Avri Lavigne
Avril
Avril Lagvigne
Avril Lagvine
Avril Lavegne
Avril Laveign
Avril Lavene
Avril Lavgine
Avril Lavigin
Avril Lavign
Avril Lavigne
Avril Lavine
Avril Lavinge
Avril L.
Avril Levigne
Avril Levign
Avril levine
Avril Livigne
Avril

that's just sloppy folks.  and of course it leaves me more work in order to either filter them out completely, or figure out a painless way to add the mis-spellings into the proper places.

Subject: Re: Playing around with organizing parody indexes by performer instead of decade

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/23/05 at 1:48 pm

I missed these too:

Arviil laghvine
Arvil Lagvine
Arvil Lavigne

ARGH!!!!

Subject: Re: Playing around with organizing parody indexes by performer instead of decade

Written By: YWN on 05/23/05 at 2:16 pm

Wow, some people can make typos an art.  ::)

Sorry that people are giving you trouble.  I triple or quadruple-checked "The Presidents Of The United States Of America" to make sure the long name was completely correct before I submitted my parody.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/23/05 at 2:24 pm

Sounds like a job tailor-made for fuzzy-logic matching-software.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/23/05 at 2:32 pm

Of course all the people who picked stupid Avril Lavigne songs, who can't spell worth a darn, have helped to create an index with a situation like this:

Averil Lavigne
Avri Lavigne
Avril
Avril Lagvigne
Avril Lagvine
Avril Lavegne
Avril Laveign
Avril Lavene
Avril Lavgine
Avril Lavigin
Avril Lavign
Avril Lavigne
Avril Lavine
Avril Lavinge
Avril L.
Avril Levigne
Avril Levign
Avril levine
Avril Livigne
Avril

that's just sloppy folks.  and of course it leaves me more work in order to either filter them out completely, or figure out a painless way to add the mis-spellings into the proper places.

Of course, you could file them all under "Talentless Whiner".....oh, sorry; wrong thread... ;)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/23/05 at 2:44 pm

You mean no one spelled her first name as April? :o

Perhaps a seperate section on the left part of the opening page that says something to the effect of "All Avril Lavigne parodies here".

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/23/05 at 3:04 pm

I'm afraid of what fuzzy matching would produce.

I had other issues to still work out with it (my sort algorithm wasn't perfect), but I worked them out, and wrote a little hash so that I have a new file called mispellednames and I stick all the bad spellingz in there along with the correct ones, and try to filter them out.  Of course that requires me to still make the list, but it's better than nothing.

Written By: YWN on 05/23/05 at 3:11 pm

OMG, I just came up with a totally original and hilarious idea for an Avril Lavigne parody!  Ok...are you ready?  A parody of "Complicated" called "Constipated"!  I am such a creative genius.

Written By: EthanM on 05/23/05 at 3:37 pm

OMG, I just came up with a totally original and hilarious idea for an Avril Lavigne parody!  Ok...are you ready?  A parody of "Complicated" called "Constipated"!  I am such a creative genius.

you spelled constipated correctly... that should set it apart from the rest

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/23/05 at 4:22 pm

you spelled constipated correctly... that should set it apart from the rest

You would think so, but it doesn't...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/a/avrillavigne.shtml

a really, REALLY, ugly first draft of the Avril Lavigne page...

Written By: philbo on 05/23/05 at 5:14 pm

Of course all the people who picked stupid Avril Lavigne songs, who can't spell worth a darn, have helped to create an index with a situation like this:

Averil Lavigne
Avril

that's just sloppy folks. and of course it leaves me more work in order to either filter them out completely, or figure out a painless way to add the mis-spellings into the proper places.

Looking at most of the above, soundex would work - I've already translated soundex code from Pascal/Delphi into Basic, Superbase and C, so I could probably whip a perl or similar script together without too much hassle (if you can't find one out there somewhere).  Trying to think of any similar-sounding bands that'd cause problems...

OMG, I just came up with a totally original and hilarious idea for an Avril Lavigne parody! Ok...are you ready? A parody of "Complicated" called "Constipated"! I am such a creative genius.

No sheesh.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 11:38 am

Looking at most of the above, soundex would work - I've already translated soundex code from Pascal/Delphi into Basic, Superbase and C, so I could probably whip a perl or similar script together without too much hassle (if you can't find one out there somewhere).  Trying to think of any similar-sounding bands that'd cause problems...

No sheesh.

I've converted Soundex algorigthms before... I'm sure there's a PERL one up there (probably built into a library too).

I think I could use it to look through the list and spot possible duplicates, and manually add them to my filter.  There's around five thousand or so different performers parodied according to the master list I made with the new index. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 12:33 pm

I found an advanced soundex, and it matches some odd stuff together...

poison & puccini mapped together for instance

but it's useful for nailing some of the stuff I suppose

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 12:36 pm

here's one that probably comes out to the same soundex code no matter which one you use

april wine and avril lavigne

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/05 at 12:45 pm

Okay, I do not know that much about software or programming, but I noticed that every single one of those names contains the letters A,V,R,I, and L ( not in that order always, counting first and last names ). There has to be something that can search for inputs X and spit out Y results.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/24/05 at 1:20 pm

I'm going to be doing a parody of one of Avril's songs(which is abit out of the ordinary for me).

Edit: So it's spelled "Lavigne", right?

Written By: PRobinson on 05/24/05 at 1:29 pm

I'm going to be doing a parody of one of Avril's songs(which is abit out of the ordinary for me).

Edit: So it's spelled "Lavigne", right?

Yup

Written By: philbo on 05/24/05 at 3:45 pm

here's one that probably comes out to the same soundex code no matter which one you use

april wine and avril lavigne

I get A1645000 and A1641250 (using 8-digit depth.. but April and Avril come out the same)

...but both Poison and Puccini come out as P2500000 - have you heard Puccini's "Look what the cat dragged in"?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 3:47 pm

I get A1645000 and A1641250 (using 8-digit depth.. but April and Avril come out the same)

...but both Poison and Puccini come out as P2500000 - have you heard Puccini's "Look what the cat dragged in"?

hmm... I think the one I'm using must not be as good as advertised...

the problem with soundex, is that it's meant for names as pronounced in English, and band names certainly don't coform to all of the same rules.

Written By: philbo on 05/24/05 at 4:55 pm

That's true... nonetheless, an excellent job with the new stuff, Chucky :)

Written By: YWN on 05/24/05 at 5:35 pm

I can't believe none of you are standing back in awe at my original talent.  A "Constipated" parody would be a great milestone in spoofing.  And there can never be too many milestones.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 9:20 pm

I can't believe none of you are standing back in awe at my original talent.  A "Constipated" parody would be a great milestone in spoofing.  And there can never be too many milestones.

only if you're parodying the Weird Al "Constipated".  If you're parodying "Complicated" it's less awe inspiring.

Written By: guest on 05/28/05 at 11:41 am

Averil Lavigne
Avri Lavigne
Avril
Avril Lagvigne
Avril Lagvine
Avril Lavegne
Avril Laveign
Avril Lavene
Avril Lavgine
Avril Lavigin
Avril Lavign
Avril Lavigne
Avril Lavine
Avril Lavinge
Avril L.
Avril Levigne
Avril Levign
Avril levine
Avril Livigne
Avril

It's similar to that for the misheard lyric entries, I've noticed.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/28/05 at 5:18 pm

I'm afraid of what fuzzy matching would produce.

Well, it works for Google Ads, just look how incredibly perfect they match their subliminal messages with our parodies, ALL the time...  :D :D :D :D :D

Written By: Apricot on 05/31/05 at 5:45 am

I think by musician is a great idea.. I've always said to myself "I'd love to be able to find the songs and artists I wanna read without having to filter through all the crap of that decade.".

Check for new replies or respond here...