inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New index for parodies... opinions?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 1:46 pm

http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/

You can see it in action above.  All the links should work.

I'm thinking it should replace the decade links on the left hand navigation to look like the link for the misheard lyrics (just the word archive).

I'll probably continue to generate the decade links, but I'm going to leave it off the main navigation links.

Subject: Re: New index for parodies... opinions?

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 05/24/05 at 1:48 pm

Very cool. Nice one  8)

Written By: Step-chan on 05/24/05 at 2:56 pm

Cool! I like it.

Written By: Royce on 05/24/05 at 3:45 pm

I'm thinking it should replace the decade links on the left hand navigation to look like the link for the misheard lyrics (just the word archive).

I'll probably continue to generate the decade links, but I'm going to leave it off the main navigation links.

I think this is great because people sometimes don't put the right decade on their parodies, and this is a sure way of looking up a parody and not missing one because of the wrong decade.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/24/05 at 4:06 pm

Well I love that the "Band Search" function seems to be working again now ( the one that used to generate an internal server 500 error ).

On the same note I personally use the decade/letter searches quite a bit and would not like them to go.

Scrolling through 1000+ The Beatles parodies which are under B not T is a bit time consuming.

In the other thread you mention Avril Levigne parodies with all the misspellings. I see that this has cleared that up that mess.

These two should be under "Nirvana" though:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nirvina0.shtml
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/nivana0.shtml

The last one I did and was curious to see if it got conglomerated.

Is there any harm in having them both up? If you decide to remove the decade searches from the front page can you please leave some sort of search script up to go that route?

Well, your website and again I say a great one so whatever you do is fine with me.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/24/05 at 5:04 pm

It's a good idea Chuck! The bad thing is that people have to look for certain variants--Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention as a small example.

I'm with Red Ant, don't dump the index by decade. Perhaps readers like to find certain genres of music from a certain time and can usefully browse with that feature. They can find songs accidentally that they didn't remember off-hand.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/24/05 at 9:13 pm

It's a good idea Chuck! The bad thing is that people have to look for certain variants--Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention as a small example.

I'm with Red Ant, don't dump the index by decade. Perhaps readers like to find certain genres of music from a certain time and can usefully browse with that feature. They can find songs accidentally that they didn't remember off-hand.

well, what I'm going to do, is hunt down the variants and file them in the right place.  Or maybe someone would like to volunteer for that duty?

Since the script is already written to create the decade versions, I'll probably keep them.  I have to fix the "more parody" links under the band search to point to the new indexes.  I'll probably use the lessons learned from the band indexing to clean up the method that program uses for gathering together the various pages.

Written By: Ansky1213 on 05/24/05 at 9:48 pm

For what it's worth, I love it! I now just have to click on Buffalo Springfield to find "For What It's Worth"!

Written By: MooRocca on 05/24/05 at 10:27 pm

Love it! 

Written By: Red Ant on 05/25/05 at 12:13 am

well, what I'm going to do, is hunt down the variants and file them in the right place.  Or maybe someone would like to volunteer for that duty?

Well, I volunteer and begin cleaning of The Wreck of the Website Amiright ( an April Fools Day joke parody I had planned of TWotEF, it's a great site ).  :)

One I was going to list earlier is there are 9 variations under Gilbert & Sullivan under "G". These could all be put into one section as well. The subtitles or the use of "&" vs "and" are not relevent to me personally and could be cut down quite a bit to say "Gilbert & Sullivan" and " *** ft. others or et al"

Under Guns N' Roses ( proper name for the band ) there are 3 variations of this band that the same could be done with.

Under "F" there are 5 variations of Fleetwood Mac that should probably be conglomerated.*

Under "F" as well are 4 variations of Foreigner ( misspellings ).

Under "F" again are 6 variations of Fountains of Wayne ( misspellings ).

Another 8 variations of Frankie Valli.*

9 versions of Frank Sinatra.*

*Perhaps something to the effect on these saying "Artist F and others".

I see that Alanis Morissette has but one entry now.

Checked a few others as well. "Britney Spears" has approx 16 entries. Some are feat. other artists, many are misspellings or incomplete names.

Perhaps just 2 entries for her, one as "Britney Spears" and one "Britney Spears ft. others"

A situation as miserable as Avril Levigne is Christina Aguilera. There are ~23 variations of her name or featuring others that could be put into 2 catergories as well: Her proper name and "Christina Aguilera ft. others". Here is how bad it is with her:

C. Aguilara, Mya, Pink, Lil Kim
C. Aguilera, Pink, L. Kim, M. Elliot, Mya
Christia Aguilairia
Christina A.
Christina Aguilara
Christina Aguilara, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim
Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera and Company
Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, Pink
Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, and Pink
Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, Pink, and Missy Elliot
Christina Aguilera, Mya, 'Lil Kim, Pink & Missy Elliot
Christina Aguillara
Christina Agulara
Christina Agularia
Christina Aguleira
Christina Agulera
Christina Aguleria
Christina Agulieria
Christina Auguleria*
Christina Augulira
Christina, Pink, Mariah, and Lil kim

* This misspelling is the funniest to me. It seems like a cross between August and Malaria.
I did a search of K as well but no one spelled it as Kristina. Amazing.  ;D

6 variations of Creedence Clearwater Revival ( misspellings )
1 of Creedence Clearwater which has but one listing so it should go as well into CCR.

Over 10 variations of Crosby, Stills and Nash. Not sure here as I know Young was added later.

7 variations of Dr. Dre featuring others.

9 variations of Enrique Iglesias ( misspellings- I believe that is his proper name as that one has the most entries ).

This is just the tip of the iceberg, but were the worst offenders in the letters they came from.

There really not need be so many entries for these artists.

**Also, a humble suggestion is to modify the submit page that says in caps across the top something like:

"PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU SPELL THE ARTIST'S NAME CORRECTLY".

This would I hope cut down on future cataloging problems.

IF you want me to( a big if ), I could go through A-Z and numbers/symbols if you want to conglomerate the huge numbers of misspelled artists names or featuring others into one or 2 listings as opposed to the 5 to 20+ for some of these. If you need a full listing rather than just pointing these out by X number of mistakes I will do so. I'm drawing major blanks on parodies at the moment so I wouldn't mind the time at all to help this out.

** I realize that the submission form also says spell check your work, something I am terrible at usually, but that doesn't affect the website ( except to show people I cannot spell properly ). I am getting better.

Sincerly, Red Ant
PS- This was not spell checked for obvious reasons.

EDIT FOR CHUCKYG: I now have a parody completed for all the C.A. listings. ChuckyG, do you mind if I post it as it is kind of letting the cat out of the bag on this new search?

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 05/25/05 at 9:58 am

This is great, Chucky!

I, like others, would miss the decades feature for two reasons:

1) I like to browse for song titles that might inspire me
2) I often know the title of a song, but not who performed it, and "decades" usually sorts me out

That aside, if you could run both without too much trouble, that'd be great!!

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/05 at 10:25 am

Well, I volunteer and begin cleaning of The Wreck of the Website Amiright ( an April Fools Day joke parody I had planned of TWotEF, it's a great site ).  :)

I was thinking more along the lines of giving someone the edit access to the file and letting them make the changes.

Then again, you can't see the changes take affect right away, so it might not be too efficient if I did.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/25/05 at 11:44 am

I was thinking more along the lines of giving someone the edit access to the file and letting them make the changes.

Then again, you can't see the changes take affect right away, so it might not be too efficient if I did.

I would be the worst canidate for THAT. People would probably get a big "FILE NOT FOUND 404 ERROR" if I started editing files.

Is anyone who is computer savvy enough willing to make the changes ( edits ) if I continue my listings?

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/05 at 12:24 pm

I fixed the "more parodies" by link finally...

http://www.amiright.com/artists/billyjoel.shtml

Written By: PRobinson on 05/25/05 at 3:25 pm

I like it Chucky, nice work ~ ~ ~

P Robinson

Written By: MooRocca on 05/25/05 at 8:06 pm

How similar would it be to the editing tool you gave us for the "real lyrics" section, how much work are we talking, how big of a hurry are you in?   

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 05/25/05 at 8:23 pm

Great idea, I've been waiting to see something like this for a while. It should be really good once all the typos and variations are figured out.

And I don't think I'll volunteer, I know diddly squat about computers and would probably ruin something.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/05 at 8:29 pm

How similar would it be to the editing tool you gave us for the "real lyrics" section, how much work are we talking, how big of a hurry are you in?   

it would be one form, with a big list in it, that looks like this:

Alanis Morisette|Alanis Morissette
Alanis Morrisette|Alanis Morissette
Alanis Morrissette|Alanis Morissette
Alannis Morrisette|Alanis Morissette

basically, incorrect|correct one per line.

heck... play with it if you want:

http://amiright.com/cgi-bin/mispellednames.cgi

make a change, hit the update button.

the only problem is that the change doesn't take place on the index page until I re-run the script (though I guess I could also give the person making the changes the ability to do that as well).  It takes five minutes to rebuild the indexes, and slows the site down a little too, so not something you want to run often.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/25/05 at 9:08 pm

the only problem is that the change doesn't take place on the index page until I re-run the script (though I guess I could also give the person making the changes the ability to do that as well).  It takes five minutes to rebuild the indexes, and slows the site down a little too, so not something you want to run often.

Made one change -- simple and painless.  I can help chip away at building the file, if you want. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/25/05 at 9:23 pm

Made one change -- simple and painless.  I can help chip away at building the file, if you want. 

I have to assign it to one person... the script is pretty simple and couldn't handle two people at the same time working on it..

Written By: MooRocca on 05/25/05 at 9:47 pm

I have to assign it to one person... the script is pretty simple and couldn't handle two people at the same time working on it..

Yeah, I kinda figured that might be the case when I saw it.  If you decide it's going to be me, just let me know.  I don't mind lending a hand. 

Written By: Red Ant on 05/26/05 at 6:09 am

I saw that script. Is the l symbol a lower case "L"? I wouldn't mind fixing the ones I already listed ( misspellings alone ), but I see that a set up for my previous suggestions like "Artist X feat. others" will probably not work and as ChuckyG said only one can do the changes at a time.

And I don't think I'll volunteer, I know diddly squat about computers and would probably ruin something.

This is exactly why I have not changed anything.

MooRocca ( or anyone else interested ), would you like me to track down all the misspellings alone then you can add them to the list?

Anyone may PM me on this.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 6:40 am

I saw that script. Is the l symbol a lower case "L"? I wouldn't mind fixing the ones I already listed ( misspellings alone ), but I see that a set up for my previous suggestions like "Artist X feat. others" will probably not work and as ChuckyG said only one can do the changes at a time.

no, it's the pipe symbol.  on a classic Model M IBM keyboard, it's located over the backslash key "\"

I think once someone does the inital leg work on putting together the list, it'll probably be pretty easy to maintain.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/26/05 at 12:16 pm

The "feat" entries aren't a problem... just type them in to sort under the host artist.

A list of the incorrect entries wouldn't be of much use to me.  I can open a letter's file and see the "list" of corrections pretty much at a glance.  So, if I'm going to be the one editing, (and that hasn't been established yet, I don't think)  I'm not averse to receiving a list (singular) of the incorrect listings, but the infinitely more helpful list, for me, and the one I'd be much more likely to reference would be a list,  in order, of the CORRECT spellings. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 12:23 pm

The "feat" entries aren't a problem... just type them in to sort under the host artist.

if you want it, it's yours.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/26/05 at 2:15 pm

| ok. So, does anyone mind if I begin an alphabetical listing of the misspelled artists ALONE?

I reliaze that my spelling is not great either, but I can google any artists names that I need clarification on, using official websites for that artist.

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/26/05 at 2:35 pm

| ok. So, does anyone mind if I begin an alphabetical listing of the misspelled artists ALONE?

I reliaze that my spelling is not great either, but I can google any artists names that I need clarification on, using official websites for that artist.

I don't object... any work at all on it is appreciated.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/26/05 at 2:46 pm

if you want it, it's yours.

Ok. You've got yourself an editor.  I did a few from the A file for you, real quick, while having lunch. 

Written By: Red Ant on 05/26/05 at 3:47 pm

Here are some that I know and/or Googled, they are not all inclusive fixes to the letters ( sorry MooRocca, it isn't a singular list, just getting what I can at first ). Just correcting the obvious mistakes first. You can copy and paste into the edit box:

Baetles|The Beatles
The Beates|The Beatles
The Beetles|The Beatles
Bananarama/Ace Of Base|Bananarama
Bananarama/Shocking Blue|Bananarama
Barbara Streisand|Barbra Streisand
Barnaked Ladies|Barenaked Ladies
Bettee Midler|Bette Midler
Bette Middler|Bette Midler
Bill Haley and the Comets|Bill Haley and His Comets
Bill Haley & His Comets|Bill Haley and His Comets
Bobby McFaren|Bobby McFerrin
Bobby McFarren|Bobby McFerrin
Bobby McFarrin|Bobby McFerrin
Bobby McFerin|Bobby McFerrin
Britney and Madonna|Britney Spears
Britney & Madonna|  Britney Spears
Britney Spears and Madonna|Britney Spears
Britney Spears/Blink-182| Britney Spears
Britney Spears feat.Madonna|Britney Spears
Britney Spears Featuring Madonna|Britney Spears
Britney Spears featuring Ying Yang Twins|Britney Spears
Britney Spears f/Mikey Bassie|Britney Spears
Britney Spears f/Pharrel Williams|Britney Spears
Britney Spears/Limp Bizkit (Remixing The Who?)|Britney Spears
Britney Spears & Madonna|Britney Spears
Britany Spears|Britney Spears
Britney|Britney Spears
Brittany Spears|Britney Spears
Brittney Spears|Britney Spears
Buddu Holly|Buddy Holly

C. Aguilara, Mya, Pink, Lil Kim|Christina Aguilera
C. Aguilera, Pink, L. Kim, M. Elliot, Mya|Christina Aguilera
Christia Aguilairia|Christina Aguilera
Christina A.|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilara|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilara, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera and Company|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, Pink|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, and Pink|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera, Mya, Lil' Kim, Pink, and Missy Elliot|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguilera, Mya, 'Lil Kim, Pink & Missy Elliot|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguillara|Christina Aguilera
Christina Agulara|Christina Aguilera
Christina Agularia|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguleira|Christina Aguilera
Christina Agulera|Christina Aguilera
Christina Aguleria|Christina Aguilera
Christina Agulieria|Christina Aguilera
Christina Auguleria|Christina Aguilera
Christina Augulira|Christina Aguilera
Christina, Pink, Mariah, and Lil kim|Christina Aguilera

Don MacLane|Don McLean
Don Maclean|Don McLean
Don Mcclean|Don McLean
Don Mclain|Don McLean
Don McLean or Madonna|Don McLean
Dr. Dre and Eminem|Dr. Dre
Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg|Dr. Dre
Dr. Dre & Eminem|Dr. Dre
Dr. Dre feat. Eminem|Dr. Dre
Dr. Dre featuring Eminem|Dr. Dre
Dr Dre f/Eminem|Dr. Dre
Dr Dre f/ Xzibit and Eminem|Dr. Dre

Enrique Eglaisus|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique Eglasias|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique Eglasuis|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique englesias|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique iglacias|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique Iglasias|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique Igleseas|Enrique Iglesias
Enrique Inglesias|Enrique Iglesias

Fleetwood Mac (Lindsey Buckingham)|Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)|Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac with Stevie Nicks|Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac (written by Christine McVie)|Fleetwood Mac
Fleetword Mac|Fleetwood Mac
Foreginer|Foreigner
Foreinger|Foreigner
Foriegner|Foreigner
Fountains of Waine|Fountains Of Wayne
Fountains of Whaine|Fountains Of Wayne
Fountains of Whane|Fountains Of Wayne
Fountians Of Wayne|Fountains Of Wayne
Fountions Of Wayne|Fountains Of Wayne

That's it for now. I used the correct symbol and did not use a space before or after it.

PS- I see that Beatles and The Beatles are one now as The Beatles, but still under B. So any group that starts with "The" will be put under the next proceeding letter? i.e. The Doors will be under D.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/26/05 at 5:19 pm

A list of the incorrect entries wouldn't be of much use to me. I can open a letter's file and see the "list" of corrections pretty much at a glance. So, if I'm going to be the one editing, (and that hasn't been established yet, I don't think) I'm not averse to receiving a list (singular) of the incorrect listings, but the infinitely more helpful list, for me, and the one I'd be much more likely to reference would be a list, in order, of the CORRECT spellings.

That's all I was trying to do was trying to provide a list of the incorrect listings AND the corrected ones to save you some work.

Ok, am I the editor or are you?   I volunteered because I wanted the work, not because I wanted to cut and paste someone else's work into a box.  I bring a heckuva lot more to the table than typist skills or I wouldn't have raised my hand and I'm nobody's secretary.  I appreciate that you think you're helping, and I know you didn't mean for it to be, but this is downright insulting.  I do actually know what I'm doing and I bring a lot of experience and knowledge to the table.   If I'm being relegated to the role of typist, a job any monkey can do,  I'm not interested. 

Btw, the correct sort for all of the Christina, Pink, Mya and Lil Kim corrections is "Moulin Rouge Soundtrack" not "Christina Aguilera"   

I apologize sincerly that I insulted you MooRocca. I did not see the post that said you would be the editor.

MooRocca, I was not going to edit the files, just put togther a list that could be edited. I KNOW you know what you are doing, that is the reason why I did not modify the box. I was just trying to ferret out the biggest problems first.
Apparently I have created 2: One with you which I can hopefully resolve quickly and the incorrect listings for "Moulin Rouge Soundtrack".

I raised my hand as well to help with this. You are correct, you are not mine or anyone elses secretary and I did not intend to dictate to you in that manner. I would have been upset as well more than likely if the roles were reversed.

I will discontinue my listings as you know better than I do on the listings and can type faster than I can anyway ( that is a compliment and a fact, not an insult ).What I put together took nearly an hour. I saw what you did on the edit sheet and you did a great job. I do not want to get in your way and again I apologize.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/26/05 at 10:57 pm

No harm, no foul.  ...and as I told you, privately, there were never any hard feelings from my end for you to be sorry about and I'm sorry if it came out that way.  I knew your intentions were very good.  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/26/05 at 11:23 pm

Okay, no problem then.  :)

Written By: guest on 05/28/05 at 11:44 am

Hate to bug you, but you misspelled the word "misspelled." It contains a double "s"; here's why: mis- is the prefix, and "spell" is the root word; hence two s's belong there.

Written By: Spaff.com on 05/28/05 at 12:11 pm

Great idea, Chucky. It's a wonderful addition to the site. And MooRocca rocks for tackling such a thankless task. (Good luck choosing a consistent artist for all the Supercal parodies.)

As for this person:

Hate to bug you, but you misspelled the word "misspelled." It contains a double "s"; here's why: mis- is the prefix, and "spell" is the root word; hence two s's belong there.

You need to spend more time on the playground. I understand that you might get beat up, but you really should get outside.

xoxox
Spaff

Subject: Need help with one

Written By: MooRocca on 05/31/05 at 10:31 am

Need help putting an entry under the correct artist.

The OS cited is "Wipe Dem Tears or Cry"
The artist cited is "Crazy Baby A feat. A Town, Usher, Kanye West and D"

I can't find any evidence of a solo artist or band named Crazy Baby A
I can't find any evidence of a song titled "Wipe Dem Tears or Cry"

I found both a Crazybaby ("electronica" is the extent of the info All Music has on them) and a Crazy Baby (from the 60s) -- I'm guessing neither of those is correct.  Neither Usher's nor Kanye's All Music listings include a "worked with" list.  Anyone have a clue what the song/artist might really be?  If I can't find it in the next few hours, I'll go back and just stick it under "Crazy Baby A," but I'd rather be sure I've put it under the correct artist name, so that anyone familiar with the original song/artist will be more likely to find it.

If it helps, the parody is at: 
http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/crazybabyafeatatownusherkanyewestandd0.shtml

Thanks in advance.  :)
Mel.

Subject: Re: Need help with one

Written By: ChuckyG on 05/31/05 at 10:57 am

Need help putting an entry under the correct artist.

The OS cited is "Wipe Dem Tears or Cry"
The artist cited is "Crazy Baby A feat. A Town, Usher, Kanye West and D"

I can't find any evidence of a solo artist or band named Crazy Baby A
I can't find any evidence of a song titled "Wipe Dem Tears or Cry"

I found both a Crazybaby ("electronica" is the extent of the info All Music has on them) and a Crazy Baby (from the 60s) -- I'm guessing neither of those is correct.  Neither Usher's nor Kanye's All Music listings include a "worked with" list.  Anyone have a clue what the song/artist might really be?  If I can't find it in the next few hours, I'll go back and just stick it under "Crazy Baby A," but I'd rather be sure I've put it under the correct artist name, so that anyone familiar with the original song/artist will be more likely to find it.

If it helps, the parody is at: 
http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/crazybabyafeatatownusherkanyewestandd0.shtml

Thanks in advance.  :)
Mel.

People sometimes make up fake artists/song titles in order to submit original works.  Quite possible somebody did that here.  I dislike all the bands mentioned in the original artist field, so I can't say for sure if it's actually by any of them.  It could also be a combination of various songs by different performers, which people sometimes do ala Weird Al's Polkas... which is quite possible, since Crazy Town doesn't seem like the kind of band to perform with Usher

Written By: Mr X on 06/23/05 at 5:49 pm

I like it...and I especially like how the misspelled performers are grouped under the artist with the correct spelling. There's just one problem though: all the Cyndi Lauper song parodies are grouped under Cindi Lauper (that's incorrect):

http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/c/cindilauper.shtml

Is there a way you can change the URL on that page to http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/c/cyndilauper.shtml?

Written By: Mr X on 06/24/05 at 2:53 pm

I see it's been changed (I tried typing the URL http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/c/cyndilauper.shtml into my browser and it came up), but the link to the CIndi Lauper page is still there.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/24/05 at 3:05 pm

I see it's been changed (I tried typing the URL http://www.amiright.com/parody/performers/c/cyndilauper.shtml into my browser and it came up), but the link to the CIndi Lauper page is still there.

that page won't go away, but it won't be linked to anymore, which means people probably won't find it unless they read this thread

I fixed the other problems with Cyndi Lauper's name.  MooRocca is still busy trying to work her way through the rest of it (which is a lot of work), so you'll need to be patient with the new index.  Plus I plan on changing the layout a little bit too, which might make things even more interesting.

Check for new replies or respond here...