inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the 1984 newspeak challenge .. what is the worst euphemism???

Written By: marthadtox3 on 05/26/05 at 4:37 pm

have just discovered that the market regulator in the UK is using a great euphemism to be applied to a system which permits and encourages a fund manager to surreptitiously benefit financially at the expense of his client.. it is called

"incentive misalignment".... even George Orwell wouldn't have dared to come up with that one..
any suggestions for worse offenders??

Subject: Re: the 1984 newspeak challenge .. what is the worst euphemism???

Written By: EthanM on 05/26/05 at 5:07 pm

operation enduring freedom

Written By: YWN on 05/26/05 at 6:25 pm

I thought that 1984 was a very interesting novel, but I don't think that human nature would ever comply to being "brainwashed".  In reality, they would all rise up and rebel.

Written By: John Jenkins on 05/26/05 at 6:58 pm

Great example, Martha.  Ethan, from my perspective, your example is a bit of a stretch, but others might agree with you - and, at least, you didn't say Patriot Act.

My contributions:
Affirmative action (race based quotas and other preferences do not affirm much except discrimination)

Voluntary compliance (why we pay income taxes)

Undocumented worker (politically correct version of illegal alien)

Farm Security Act (the new name that, after 9/11/01, was given to the Agriculture Act of 2001, which included $170 billion in various subsidies and other spending.  One congressman stated on the floor of the House that the $3.5 billion subsidy to peanut farmers was vital to "strengthening America's national security")

Strategic Milk Reserve (the new name that was given to milk subsidies, which had been cut in 1996, and were reinstated in the 2002 Farm Bill)

Written By: YWN on 05/26/05 at 7:06 pm

Affirmative Action...  That was a good example.

Written By: Johnny_D on 05/26/05 at 8:39 pm

Decaffeinated Espresso

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/27/05 at 7:44 am

Civil Service...

Very rarely civil, nor serving. ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 05/27/05 at 1:51 pm

Well, as much as I will probably regret injecting a political note here, I would have to say just about any new policy or program the Bush Administration introduces (or attempts to introduce).  Virtually everything that they propose from their "Bizarro" universe does the opposite of the purpose implied by whatever name or title they affix to it...it's waaayy past distressing at this point...just kind of expected now.

pr

Written By: John Jenkins on 05/28/05 at 8:24 am

Well, as much as I will probably regret injecting a political note here, I would have to say just about any new policy or program the Bush Administration introduces (or attempts to introduce).   Virtually everything that they propose from their "Bizarro" universe does the opposite of the purpose implied by whatever name or title they affix to it...it's waaayy past distressing at this point...just kind of expected now.

pr

Paul, I might agree with you on some, but isn't it a bit of a cop out (and not consistent with the purpose of the thread) to make that statement and not back it up with at least one example?

Written By: AdamEcc on 05/28/05 at 9:38 am

How about a couple that have been used a few times over the last 2 years... "collateral damage" and "friendly fire"?

Written By: K1chyd on 05/28/05 at 5:10 pm

I'll quote Dave Mustaine from the band Megadeth and their hit "Hangar 18":

"Military intelligence, two words combined that don't make sense"

Written By: bobbypags on 05/31/05 at 1:20 pm

Trickle Down Economics
Compassionate conservative
And, for JJ, Patriot Act

Written By: PRobinson on 05/31/05 at 3:33 pm

Paul, I might agree with you on some, but isn't it a bit of a cop out (and not consistent with the purpose of the thread) to make that statement and not back it up with at least one example?

John, no, not really.  Since I said "virtually everything" I think that pretty much stands as my statement on this.  I don't believe we've seen any real candor from this bunch and I do not expect that any will forthcoming from them. That said I do not wish to be involved in an "item-by-item" argument about it.  They just have no credibility with me.  You are entitled to disagree, of course.  But I disdain a lengthy discourse about Bush & Co. because I will just get too immersed in the negativity that would necessarily attend it...my apologies, friend, but I really cannot discuss this odious bunch...I get too upset.  I'm not sorry I posted my note but that is as far as I want to dip my toes into it.  If you want, John, feel free to post areas where they have NOT used disingenuous statements...I think it would be a much shorter list than trying to detail their obfuscations.

Thanks,

pr

Written By: John Jenkins on 06/01/05 at 12:25 am

And, for JJ, Patriot Act

Thank you, Bobby.  I acknowledge that a good libertarian argument can be made that the Patriot Act is a euphemism for expanding government and limiting civil liberties. :)  Of course, the Act passed with all Republicans and all Democrats (except one) in the Senate voting for it.

Written By: bobbypags on 06/01/05 at 11:28 am

Well, one guy got it right.

Hey, John, I'm interested in your take on "Deep Throat".  Love the fact that an anonymous source was protected for so long but as the NYT said, it's a little like finding out Superman is Clark Kent.  I guess I wanted it to be Rhenquist or King Bush I - I guess that I always thought it was John Dean.
bob

Written By: PRobinson on 06/01/05 at 1:38 pm

Hey, John, I'm interested in your take on "Deep Throat".  Love the fact that an anonymous source was protected for so long but as the NYT said, it's a little like finding out Superman is Clark Kent.  I guess I wanted it to be Rhenquist or King Bush I - I guess that I always thought it was John Dean.
bob

Bobby,  too bad there isn't someone like him around now...of course, it's still only the first year of the 2nd term.  But...you know, I'm not sure if the NY Times (or any present-day Media outfit) would have the balls to publish something like that now.  One thing for sure is that they would have to be braced for a much bigger "sludge" campaign in retaliation...it would probably be pretty   VERY brutal...

pr

Written By: John Jenkins on 06/01/05 at 6:41 pm

bob

I read the Woodward/Bernstein book "All the President's Men," which did a great job of building up the mystery of who "Deep Throat" is/was.  And, I too, find it somewhat anticlimactic to find out that the identity is Mark Felt - the number 2 man at the FBI.  If it hadn't been for the research of Woodward and Bernstein and the role of Deep Throat, would Nixon have been forced to resign?  Quite possibly not.  I don't have a real positive impression of Mr. Felt, and consider him to be a snitch.  If I worked for someone who I thought was doing something unethical, I would either confront the employer or resign, or both.  Having said that, I don't have a real positive impression of President Nixon either.  He is the president who signed into law the first Affirmative Action legislation and he is the president who implemented wage/price controls, both of which are inconsistent with Republican/libertarian principles.  I live about 4 miles from the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda and have been there a number of times, but I am not a fan of his.

Check for new replies or respond here...